PDA

View Full Version : Risk in installing Xbox360 games?

Saner
Nov 22, 2008, 01:33 AM
"Playing installed games after the NXE increases your chances of rrod. The fan runs slower on installed games which gives you a higher chance of rrod. You're almost guaranteed rrod on a launch console when playing an installed game. "

AAAAAAAAAAAH! I read this from some knowledgeable gamers!!! I should of read this before
installing L4D!! >__________<

Ya there is no proof but I strongly believe it's no coincedence my xbox360 RROD 1 day after installing a game on thursday.

and I do notice it's quieter (hence, the fan running slower.) O____________________O

darn it! darn it darn it! all I can do is warn people. now I gotta buy a new one (thankfully
the cheapest are without HDD are currently around 150-200. )

Rubius-sama
Nov 22, 2008, 01:50 AM
If true, then wow, how could MS let such a flaw slip by? They were testing the NXE for months after it was completed....

I never really payed much attention to the fan activity while running a game off the HDD, but if it's true there are simple workarounds, like wiring the fans directly to a 12V rail, if need be. But I remember hearing MS can detect these slight power activity changes and issue Xbox Live bans. (not completely sure on this one)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 22, 2008, 01:57 AM
Your source isn't credible enough, even in this internet message board world, to get that out of the way 1st and foremost, so it won't be repeated further down this topic with new replies in more harsh manner.

You can build a better case for this with links to feedback from other boards-as this is internet message board world with easy access to finding more info, help/tech support, Xbox official, etc, with people whom also believe this to happen and the what and why. As it is now, "Your friend" the stereotype is only one case. Yours believing the friend and trying to tie it back to your experiences is not as ingrained in fact to be case 2 either. And still 2 cases. DON'T OVERREACT NOW & SCARE PEOPLE BCUZ AHHHH@!!!

Otherwise this doesn't need such a WARNING label on the topic title and you could otherwise have updated your NXE thread on this same page 1, new post to bump, edit up the Original post.

Please take this info into account to clean up your topic title and opening post for the next time, thanks for the time.

rena-ko
Nov 22, 2008, 03:02 AM
seriously. the noise reduction comes solely from the drive not spinning up all the time.
the normal case fans still work. and whatcha think - there were xbox orginials and arcade games playable from drive for ages now.
given, those werent as graphically intense as some 360 games are, but really, you think they'd miss this?

Kent
Nov 22, 2008, 08:47 AM
Saner, don't make up things like this in an effort to get people to panic, just because it coincidentally happened on your end. Look into things before making your claims.

seriously. the noise reduction comes solely from the drive not spinning up all the time.
the normal case fans still work. and whatcha think - there were xbox orginials and arcade games playable from drive for ages now.
given, those werent as graphically intense as some 360 games are, but really, you think they'd miss this?
This is the correct answer.

/thread

McLaughlin
Nov 22, 2008, 10:47 AM
Do you sincerely think the fan just shuts off when you install a game? The noise (like Rena-ko said) is from the disc drive. Hell, if this were true just sitting in your Dashboard would kill the console.

Bad luck on your part. Don't start ridiculous rumors because your 360 died.

Saner
Nov 22, 2008, 02:06 PM
Do you sincerely think the fan just shuts off when you install a game? The noise (like Rena-ko said) is from the disc drive. Hell, if this were true just sitting in your Dashboard would kill the console.

it isn't said that the fan shuts off, that it runs slower, that's why people don't notice the
difference since its quieter than the disc drive.

I still don't feel its a coincedence and its better safe than sorry, but if you play disk games off
the harddrive and it happens, well don't say you weren't warned. :p

Solstis
Nov 22, 2008, 02:37 PM
it isn't said that the fan shuts off, that it runs slower, that's why people don't notice the

I still don't feel its a coincedence and its better safe than sorry, but if you play disk games off

I see no credible or logical reason for that to be more than just a conspiracy theory.

Zarode
Nov 22, 2008, 06:03 PM
The fans run slower because the console is running cooler, thanks to no disk spinning. If your system RRODs now, it's because it was either on the brink of doing it, or you don't have good ventilation for your system.

ThePainMaker
Nov 22, 2008, 06:34 PM
That really has to suck if it happens to you.
if it happens to some one you cant stand then its halarious

McLaughlin
Nov 22, 2008, 06:38 PM
The fans run slower because the console is running cooler, thanks to no disk spinning. If your system RRODs now, it's because it was either on the brink of doing it, or you don't have good ventilation for your system.

It's like when people say "(insert game here) bricked my 360!"

No, any patch would have bricked your console. It went to cache something new (the patch) and couldn't. Anything that required caching would have pushed it over the edge.

Kent
Nov 22, 2008, 07:15 PM

You can feel that it's not a coincidence all you want - it doesn't change the fact that it is.

Also, your theory is founded on nothing but paranoid displacement and fingerpointing. Most conspiracy theories are founded on something a little more substantial than this, so you've still got a ways to go. :/

The fact of the matter is, a disc drive doesn't exactly generate a lot of heat - the temperature difference wouldn't be enough for the system to slow down the fans.

By the way, dynamic fan speeds? Yeah, they're controlled by the system, since it can detect the temperature at which its components are running. The disc drive spinning is literally irrevelent to this.

In other words, do a little research before wildly blurting out something like this. Just send in your 360 for repairs and get on with it. It's not like regurgitating false warnings will change anything, aside from lowering peoples' opinions of you (if you're particularly unlucky). :/

Ranmaru
Nov 22, 2008, 10:35 PM
Basically your 360 is playing games with you.

Syl
Nov 23, 2008, 11:35 PM
Basically your 360 is playing games with you.

In Soviet Russia, Xbox red rings you!

Cracka_J
Nov 24, 2008, 09:25 AM
lulz, if you're playing on a "launch console", plugging the goddamn thing in alone increases the probability that it will rrod.

just go buy a new arcade for 199 (comes with the new chipset), and replace that junk.
really worth the 2 bills if you're still running a launch console, that goes for anyone.

Sinue_v2
Nov 24, 2008, 04:43 PM
Eh, I don't ever plan to rip games to my HDD. I have one of those 20 gig models, and I'm constantly fighting for space. My internet connection is on the low end, and I hate the download waits... which, for some reason, take way longer to accomplish on the 360 than an equally sized file on the PC. Dunno what that's about, and I chalk it up to consoles being pokey in the download department. It's not a router issue, and it seems to occur across all my online consoles (Xbox, 360, PS2, Dreamcast, etc)

Anyhow, I refuse to pay MS's hardware prices. For less than half the cost of MS's 120Gig HDD, I could get a 500 Gig 7200rpm PC HDD. Hell, I could probably get an even better deal now since the last time I bought one was over 6 months ago.

The only games I have on my HDD (aside from the Arcade), are Halo since I loaned it out and never got it back, and Dreamfall:TLJ (Awesome, awesome, awesome, game). Had those on there awhile and never seemed to have a problem with hardware performance. Granted, they're XBO's, but still...

Split
Nov 24, 2008, 10:25 PM
In Soviet Russia, Xbox red rings you!Dosen't it do that here too?

amtalx
Nov 24, 2008, 10:28 PM
Eh, I don't ever plan to rip games to my HDD. I have one of those 20 gig models, and I'm constantly fighting for space. My internet connection is on the low end, and I hate the download waits... which, for some reason, take way longer to accomplish on the 360 than an equally sized file on the PC. Dunno what that's about, and I chalk it up to consoles being pokey in the download department. It's not a router issue, and it seems to occur across all my online consoles (Xbox, 360, PS2, Dreamcast, etc)

That's kinda weird. My XBL downloads haul ass when it comes to speeds. PSN takes f*cking forever though. So do downloads on my Wii for that matter.

Outrider
Nov 25, 2008, 11:55 AM
That's kinda weird. My XBL downloads haul ass when it comes to speeds. PSN takes f*cking forever though. So do downloads on my Wii for that matter.

I wouldn't say my XBL downloads are all that fast, but they're certainly about the same speed as my PC downloads.

I always think that the Wii is going to take forever, and then it ends up going quicker than I expected. (Still kinda slow considering the files are so tiny, but whatever.)

Sinue_v2
Nov 26, 2008, 03:24 AM
Also, your theory is founded on nothing but paranoid displacement and fingerpointing. Most conspiracy theories are founded on something a little more substantial than this, so you've still got a ways to go.

Heh, you don't go to many conspiracy theory websites do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJUxHOTBHso

You heard it here first folks. Rainbows close to the ground are caused by metallic outside salts that have been diabolically snuck into our water and air supply.

This woman isn't the oddity, it's the norm for conspiracy theorists.

Kent
Nov 26, 2008, 06:10 AM

You heard it here first folks. Rainbows close to the ground are caused by metallic outside salts that have been diabolically snuck into our water and air supply.

I'm talking about people who manage to jumble together a bunch of (perceived) loose ends and provide some sort of thought-out hypothetical speculation based on them - not some unfortunate loon who discovered YouTube.

You know, not the dismissive sense of the word, which is ever-so-often applied to random idiots. I'm not saying that isn't befitting of some of them, however.

Split
Nov 26, 2008, 10:22 AM
I haven't tried this yet...does this mean you can play games completely sans disk? because think that would facilitate pirating on a pretty significant scale

Outrider
Nov 26, 2008, 10:32 AM
I haven't tried this yet...does this mean you can play games completely sans disk? because think that would facilitate pirating on a pretty significant scale

No, it requires you to have the disk in the drive.

Kent
Nov 26, 2008, 10:43 AM
Microsoft isn't one to make piracy easy, with all of the measures they've taken to make sure people use genuine copies of Windows.

Basically, the piracy issue is dodged by requiring the disc be in the drive when you start the game (disc check), then, as per usual, it goes back to the dashboard if you open the tray (unless prompted to switch discs by a game).

Anduril
Nov 26, 2008, 12:24 PM
I've noticed a lot of people use this very simple formula when thinking: X happened, then Y happened, thus X caused Y; for example "The Doctor showed up, then Mom died, so The Doctor killed Mom." If this were happening to a significant amount of units I would believe it.

SStrikerR
Nov 26, 2008, 02:03 PM

This woman is an idiot. Case closed.

Kizeragi
Nov 26, 2008, 06:01 PM
Lol at this topic.

Arcade games are run of the harddrive already. Do they break the Xbox? Nope.
Just because 360 games are more graphically enchanced over arcade games, that shouldn't cause an Xbox to red ring.

Off-topic:
@Kent: How is the new Street Fighter? I was tempted to buy it, but the demo is multiplayer only. =/

Kent
Nov 26, 2008, 09:55 PM
Off-topic:
@Kent: How is the new Street Fighter? I was tempted to buy it, but the demo is multiplayer only. =/
Well, having never actually played Street Fighter II, I can probably give a... slightly less biased impression of it.

For the most part, people who are Street Fighter fans say things roughly on par with "BEST GAME EVER, NO CONTEST, 853 OUT OF 10," and such. While it is a fun game, now that I'm actually playing it, I can't say it deserves a perfect score or anything like that - the controls feel a bit unresponsive and twitchy, which, for a fighting game, isn't exactly a good thing. I can verify and guarantee that it isn't my controller that's the problem, being that I'm able to do things just fine in any other fighting game I have for the system - but something just feels really off here.

...But that and the slight lack of depth on part of each character (coming from someone who really enjoys Brawl >_>) and somewhat short-handedness of animation frames are really the only bad things I can say about the game. The graphics are an amazing HD adaptation, the music is top-notch, and the single-player mode ranges from "pretty challenging" to "0wned" - and I do like a good challenge... Just not one that's hampered by unresponsive controls.

PIT
Nov 27, 2008, 01:52 PM
Fixing RROD is fairly easy, I can PM you the method if you want it.

but if it's true there are simple workarounds, like wiring the fans directly to a 12V rail, if need be

NEVER do that, it's only going to make your rrod (arriving sooner than normally) harder to fix. I've seen a lot of RROD cases and these methods don't work. The funniest thing i've ever seen was sticking a piece of cardboard to the radiator...

HOW THE F**K IS THAT SUPPOSED TO HELP?!? O.o'

mizukage
Nov 27, 2008, 03:08 PM
If you don't install the game, will you be able to play it?

When I was playing Monster Hunter Portable 2nd. G., I used the media install feature which added 500+ megabytes onto my memory stick and I can't even notice any loading speed changes. Instead, it took up so much room on my memory stick that I had to remove it altogether. As for Xbox 360, I have no idea how the game installation mechanism work.

Kent
Nov 27, 2008, 04:29 PM
If you don't install the game, will you be able to play it?

When I was playing Monster Hunter Portable 2nd. G., I used the media install feature which added 500+ megabytes onto my memory stick and I can't even notice any loading speed changes. Instead, it took up so much room on my memory stick that I had to remove it altogether. As for Xbox 360, I have no idea how the game installation mechanism work.
For the 360, game installs are a new feature, added in the latest system update.

So yes, you can play games without installing them - it's not like the system is a PS3.

ngagerebel
Nov 27, 2008, 11:47 PM
Well it is obvious, it has been 3 years since the first launch, the extended 3 year warranty is now over, why not makes the consumer have to A) pay for repairs B) buy a new console

McLaughlin
Nov 29, 2008, 12:05 AM
Well it is obvious, it has been 3 years since the first launch, the extended 3 year warranty is now over, why not makes the consumer have to A) pay for repairs B) buy a new console

They can't selectively brick consoles that do HDD installation by picking off the ones that are launch consoles.

Not to mention it would seriously piss off everyone who has one, and would be a generally bad idea to try.

ngagerebel
Nov 29, 2008, 02:32 AM
They can't selectively brick consoles that do HDD installation by picking off the ones that are launch consoles.

Not to mention it would seriously piss off everyone who has one, and would be a generally bad idea to try.

It is Microsoft... have they every been known for their "Good Ideas"

NPCMook
Nov 29, 2008, 02:45 PM

Really? If the threads degrading into this now, I think its about time for a lock =\

ngagerebel
Nov 29, 2008, 09:33 PM
Really? If the threads degrading into this now, I think its about time for a lock =\

I am just pointing something out, the new dashboard and new features are released and adding a new feature that causes a strain on launch 360's and could cause RROD around the time the extended 3 year warranty is up.

who knows if Microsoft did or didn't do it intentionally I'm just making a point.

Kent
Nov 29, 2008, 10:56 PM
It is Microsoft... have they every been known for their "Good Ideas"
...And with this, it's become more apparent that you're just trying to spite people.

Try asking anyone who's spent time with learning all of the new things in Vista, or anyone deeply familiar with the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, or even the Zune service. Microsoft does have some great ideas going into their products and services. For the most part, people that bash them either haven't tried them, didn't bother to actually get used to things (i.e. afraid of change, don't like new things, etc.), have an unjustifiable fixation on their rivals (Sony fanboys, Mac supremacists, etc.), or just have an indignant dislike for the company because it's a large business.

I am just pointing something out, the new dashboard and new features are released and adding a new feature that causes a strain on launch 360's and could cause RROD around the time the extended 3 year warranty is up.

who knows if Microsoft did or didn't do it intentionally I'm just making a point.

The fact of the matter is, that people attempt to villianize Microsoft for no good reason - simply because they're a large company. Companies do business. Business is, by design, a mechanism for making profit. People see Microsoft as some huge company trying to sucker people out of millions of dollars, but that's not the case - they're a legitimate business that realizes the best way to secure their own profits is by providing the best service possible to the consumer base.

You may be trying to make a point with the "we don't know if they did it or not" thing... But it's invalid, as that would not only be in violation of several agreements that Xbox 360 end-users agree to when they use their system and/or the Xbox Live service, but it'd also be something that anyone, should it be proven, could sue them to hell and back for. Besides, guess what the NXE doesn't do? That's right - put strain on the system.

However, these are professionals we're talking about - not people amateurish enough to think something like that may be a good idea.

ngagerebel
Nov 30, 2008, 02:28 AM
Yes Microsoft has alot of good products vista is one of them, everyone bitches about it but does anyone remember when XP first came out every bitched about that because back then it was considered an operating system that needed alot of resources, now it is the most favorited system. but microsoft has done alot to monopolize in the computer industry to earn a bad rep, and people still refer to them as the company with horrible products and faulty crap. Microsoft has pulled alot of bad moves that agitated consumers.

now for the 360 microsoft pushed a way early launch on a system that they where still working bugs out of, and to save face that could have led to a huge multi-class lawsuit they opted to extend the warranty of the 360 by a couple of years, pity for all those people who got the RROD and paid for repairs and did not get refunded after the announcement of the extension of the warranty and it took till the halo edition series 360 and Elite 360 to be installed with the newer low heat CPU Chipsets before it was implemented into the normal base systems.

and im not just nit picking on microsoft, Sony and nintendo have their bad sides as well. The consumer market place is a dog eat dog world. They will come out with great products but there will always be someone in the company whose job is to say "now how can we make sure that they will buy a replacement when it breaks, how can we shorten the life of this product or can we replace it with a newer version in a year or so?" and APPLE is the biggest traitor in that one, new IPOD design every single year its like tampons to them.

nintendo for example, the barcode underneath the DS rubs off way before the one year mark but if it rubs off the warranty is voided even if you purchase the store warranty!. I recently discovered that when I bought a DS 6 months later the left shoulder button breaks call them up nope not under warranty because i couldn't read the barcode going to cost $80 for repair... just to repair a button.

Sony, PSP unless it has 15 dead pixels it wasn't under warranty... on a PSP screen I think 2 or 3 is too much and really annoying.

Zantra
Nov 30, 2008, 05:14 AM
I must not be rough with my systems, because all of my consoles work forever...

I guess i'm lucky.

*goes to play SNES*

NPCMook
Nov 30, 2008, 05:23 AM
You didn't play Monopoly as a child did you?

While yes the DS Barcode does rub off, you could place tape over it to avoid it happening in the future. Yes this is something YOU shouldn't have to do, but knowing a few shortcuts in life is okay.

I also believe you no longer have to pay for the RROD to be fixed, you do however have to go get your own coffin, Microsoft no longer provides you with one. Personally I'd like to see a trade up system where I can trade old 20GB HDD for one of the newest 60GB ones without having to go through GestaPoameStop.