PDA

View Full Version : GC Lan PSO? Is it possible?

Alexander_Crissaegram
Feb 5, 2003, 01:35 PM
Okay, so a friend of mine and me were talking how great it would be to do a LAN game of PSO with our Cubes, but we didn't know if it would be possible.

I talked with some of the Guys over at GameFaqs, and they think that mabye if we picked up some BBA's and some server software and installed it on a PC, we could jimmy-hat something together. It seems far-fetched, but could it work? Also, would you still have to have a HL? To play on the hypothetical LAN, you'd have to go to the play online option...

Comments?

Yurika
Feb 5, 2003, 01:49 PM
I don't think so... you'd have to get whatever the sega servers are using to emulate the lobbies and stuff. All the online quests and stuff are actually downloaded... Famitsu doesn't already exist on the cube disk... I think. Besides which, you'd have to figure out what the cube is connecting to - like domain lookups and stuff and spoof them over to your local "server". It might be possible, but I highly doubt it. You'd need some sort of host software on the "server" you're connecting to in order for the client gamecubes to connect.

Alexander_Crissaegram
Feb 5, 2003, 01:57 PM
Thanks Yurika, i was afraid it would turn out like that. I was worried about the GC going "What? There's a server...but i don't see Sega. No game for you." Well, at least it saved me $50 from buying a BBA. Looks like it's back to split screen co-op.

Thanks again!

august
Feb 5, 2003, 03:09 PM
I swear I read somewhere that you COULD do it, but either Nintendo or Sega would NOT HELP YOU with it.. understandably.

However, when I tried to search for this information again... nowhere to be found. I'll keep a heads up... I don't see why it'd be impossible with a hub.. might take alot of effort, but since i dont have a BBA, I don't know what settings you can change. It'd be great if someone figured this out, though.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Feb 5, 2003, 03:24 PM
There would either need to be some secret LAN mode, or you'd have to have a custom PC software and DNS server. Go get married to barubary :3

Para
Feb 5, 2003, 03:49 PM
make a PC version with LAN =X

Yurika
Feb 5, 2003, 03:55 PM
On 2003-02-05 12:24, SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko wrote:
Go get married to barubary :3

Heh heh. ^_^

Phobos-X
Feb 5, 2003, 11:27 PM
i know its not a LAN thing, but technically you COULD play online together. if you both have BBA's and HL's, 2 tv's, and connected to a router, why not go online that way. at least when you go online that way, you can do some quests like Heat Sword and what not.

RagMasterRappy
Feb 5, 2003, 11:30 PM
Making a DNS application for this would not be hard, but the major obstacle is making something to emulate the SEGA PSO servers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RagMasterRappy on 2003-02-05 20:32 ]</font>

Para
Feb 5, 2003, 11:48 PM
On 2003-02-05 20:30, RagMasterRappy wrote:
Making a DNS application for this would not be hard, but the major obstacle is making something to emulate the SEGA PSO servers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RagMasterRappy on 2003-02-05 20:32 ]</font>

i wish someone would try to emulate the pso pc version servers XD!

rbf2000
Feb 5, 2003, 11:53 PM
I think barubary might have done it.

Raventy
Feb 8, 2003, 01:24 PM
yea but even if it was possible to make the two players see each other via simple DNS server as illustrated in barubary's server, the problem would be with the zones and enemies in the zones. The eneimes are normaly controled server-side so the server would have to have a whole database and programming for enemies.

RagMasterRappy
Feb 8, 2003, 02:41 PM
On 2003-02-08 10:24, Raventy wrote:
yea but even if it was possible to make the two players see each other via simple DNS server as illustrated in barubary's server, the problem would be with the zones and enemies in the zones. The eneimes are normaly controled server-side so the server would have to have a whole database and programming for enemies.

No, the items and monster deployment is done server side, but the AI is done locally by each host. If the monsters were completely controlled server side, then not only would they be laggy like other players, but they would be nearly perfectly synchronized on each player's system which is definitely not the case if you have ever played the game.

liquidshinefreak
Feb 8, 2003, 06:39 PM
i have seen a LAN router for xbox and ps2 at eb games it might work wit gcube but i dont know for sure. it was priced at 39.99.

Grifta
Feb 8, 2003, 07:10 PM
Nah, that wouldn't work, you hafta connect to a server for PSO.

Isn't there a way to split the display onto 2 or more TVs? I mean if you live close enough to be able to play with your buddy on the same one, maybe you could atleast both get a full screen display.

Does anyone know what hardware you would need to do that?