PDA

View Full Version : Overshadowed?

Sanjo
Dec 8, 2008, 01:10 AM
Hey! ;D

First time poster here, long time lurker. ;]

A little background;
I've followed PSU along for about..2~3 years now. However, it's been shaky and broken - i've had many internet problems before moving to Australia, so I played about 4months longest at most, before my net was disconnected/xbox broke/payment stopped.
This makes me, (in my opinion) semi-decent at understanding most PSU terms, ideas and solutions. I just can't solve my own right now.
Right now however, my net in Australia is perfect, I can keep up with paying for PSU -myself- now, and expect to be able to play 'till my fingers bleed. ;]

My problem!

Since moving to Australia I've had to get a new LIVE account - this meant my old lvl 5x Beast FF has been sent into oblivion. I made a new Beast FF with my best friend making a Newman FT. I've always had problems competing (In a sense) with him over exp and damage. It's friendly competing, and if he reads this I hope he's not offended - It's just that now we're getting serious together (I.e, not doing a million and one Linear Line's and De Ragnus C missions together) on some much harder missions, I'm beginning to see a giant shift in experience gaining and equality.

What I'm really saying is that I feel a lot weaker and less-'helpful' than he is. My attacks are close to his damage, but his Tech's just hit heaps faster, more effectively. This results in him killing things before I even get a touch on them, and it happens almost at every mob.

Right now I haven't been upfront with this. He knows it's a problem but we both haven't done much about it. I usually just get annoyed at it, and he'll stop abusing all the monsters so much whilst I just get a few kills, but it doesn't really sort anything. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to equal the exp/kills/effort from party?

We usually do a lot of B rank missions, mainly 20~25 monsters. Never more than us 2 in a party, and right now we're just after experience.

So far I've thought about;
Going into a lot-harder missions. Downside to this means higher Meseta usage?
Above, but with extra players. Downside would be that we're not anti-social, we just like sticking to ourselves.
Solo. Downside; Not..really fun just voice-chatting.

[Note; I've read through relevant guides and understand some simple things about my problem. I know that our classes 'clash', and that it's primarily my 'fault' this is happening.]

Thank you in advance;
Sanjo. ;]

[Edit: I already expect 'lolur nub go getz strngr n stop been a grl' posts. I'm not proposing this from the 'I want to be stronger than him' thing - I'm proposing this from the 'I want to have the same opportunities to fight with him'.]

Anduril
Dec 8, 2008, 01:16 AM
I would say to start doing higher level missions as the meseta consumption won't really be too noticeable as you are getting more meseta. Or you could always just try a different class. Beast Fortegunner is pretty good once you get going with it, though it is a little rough a t first as a Beast's lower than average ATA will prevent you from using high level guns quickly.
You can keep up in terms of hits with your friend and both being long range you should be able to suppress mobs relatively well as just a duo.

Sanjo
Dec 8, 2008, 01:20 AM
I'd rather not change class though - I enjoy smashing stuff with swords, and ripping thing apart. I'm the 'warrior' guy.

Right now, higher missions seem favorable - It's just convincing myself and him to do them. :P

Anduril
Dec 8, 2008, 01:22 AM
I should have asked: how do you play fortefighter, like in terms of weapons and PAs? Just switching it up a bit could help your situation.

Sanjo
Dec 8, 2008, 01:33 AM
Weapons, I use swords. Mainly and only.

(You'll have to excuse me - I can't remember the names of the swords right now. They're the super-spikey jogiri-named ones from Moatoob.)

PA's are lvl 31-ish. Not higher than 33 if I remember correctly - and to be honest I only have like 3? Both the sword ones and the default Saber [Never used]. Anything else? ;D

Anduril
Dec 8, 2008, 01:37 AM
Ah, swords. I would say you try out Spears: they are faster, and can often times be stronger than Long Swords, especially once you start getting PA Frags and get Dus Majarra. I think this may help your dps issue, but it's just a suggestion. Personally when I play Fortefighter I use Spears and Knuckles with only a light dash of Long Swords/Axes, but that's just me.

Sanjo
Dec 8, 2008, 01:45 AM
I'll give it a try. Not a fan of Spears at all, but change is good I suppose.
This might seem silly, but are there any sort of 'methods' for a duo-party in missions? Some sort of balance we can strike between monsters? *Confused at own sentence there*.

Less-stat based, more mission/method based? <- Sorry, this was pointless.

Anduril
Dec 8, 2008, 01:53 AM
There I can't help you. The only times I have ever fought in a duo was with another fortegunner, so we just switched off between one being long-range and the other being short/mid-range, other than that I solo or party with a full team.

Sanjo
Dec 8, 2008, 01:58 AM
Ah okay. Maybe it's time I learned how parties 'work' and get some friends together. I don't wanna mess anything up and end up ruining things though. ;P

Other than that, I have to do stronger missions and try out spears. ;]

[Edit] Dang, no 'Rules Of Parties' guide.

elshagan
Dec 8, 2008, 03:10 AM
LOLs, well mostly just be a nice person n not an asshole :P Other then that ppl will be nice back... Also as a fortefighter you might wanna use like gun + saber or dagger so you can strafe shot your way forward then go sword or whatever you want to use... Personally I prefer my fighgunner beast :P n if you like beating things up with swords n stuff I'd suggest prolly fighgunner since you can dish out large amounts of damage while getting close to them n once there bam out with the sword or double saber or something xD :P