PDA

View Full Version : Online play limited by DS' lack of WPA support

Criss
Dec 9, 2008, 10:48 PM
I was kinda surprised when I noticed that no one seems to have pointed this out or voiced concerns about this. As some people already know, the old system software of the DS and DS Lite doesn't support WPA wireless encryption and only offers the obsolete and easily-crackable WEP keys.

This is obviously a huge disappointment for me because it means that, despite having a DS and good connection, I won't be able to play online unless I change my router back to WEP key encryption. This won't happen, because I have several computers on my home network, and I'm not putting my network at risk by going back to the obsolete WEP keys.

I know that this isn't directly related to PSZ and is a platform problem that affects all online-capable DS games, but since online play seems to be such a big part of PSZ, I thought it was worthy of mention.

As a side note, the new DSi will be coming out next year. And unlike the DSlite, its integrated firmware and software has a big overhaul, which means that it might likely support WPA encryption. Unfortunately, according to Gamespot's hand on preview on the DSi, the console will apparently only support WPA for the new DSi services and not for online-enabled standard DS games. If anyone has more information on the DSi, feel free to contribute.

So in any case, is anyone else seeing themselves forced to give up on PSZ's online features or find alternative ways of connecting online when the game is available?

Niered
Dec 9, 2008, 11:07 PM
Nope.

Couldnt care less, my college uses WPA as well, but I go to my parents house often enough that either it wont bother me, or Ill just buy one of those DS Wireless thingies.

Gemel
Dec 9, 2008, 11:14 PM
I don't even know what WPA is to be honest.

Reginaldo
Dec 9, 2008, 11:34 PM
Not worried at all.

Nowhere
Dec 9, 2008, 11:49 PM
I'm really not worried about that. You can't go far where I live without running into open wireless networks anyway.

Aside from that, the DSi supports WPA/WPA2 and has new WiFi hardware -- in addition to keeping the old. Bad news: PSZ will _not_ support WPA, unless they make a DSi specific version, since DS games have no access to the new hardware and still use the same old WiFi chips. Good news: there's actually a good chance that a DSi version will surface in addition to the standard DS version.

What really limits online play is the lack of lobbies. Even if the FC problem didn't exist, the 3D engine couldn't render more than a few characters at a time anyway. That's probably why each team is limited to 4 players.

the_importer_
Dec 9, 2008, 11:52 PM
It was a pain for me, not just for security but also because my wireless is 802.11n and this technology is not compatible with the old WEP security. Just do like I did and buy the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Dongle. I saw a used one at a local EB Games a few weeks ago for $15 CAD. Just remember to change you router's default address range to something else than 192.168.0.X or 192.168.1.X because the Dongle will use one of these.

Risingsun
Dec 10, 2008, 12:01 AM
Bad news: PSZ will _not_ support WPA, unless they make a DSi specific version, since DS games have no access to the new hardware and still use the same old WiFi chips. Good news: there's actually a good chance that a DSi version will surface in addition to the standard DS version.
A good chance there will be a DSi version of PS0? Have you heard some rumors, inside info, or is it just wishful thinking?

-also, yeah just get either the Wi-Fi dongle or that new Nintendo specific wireless router for the wii and ds. Also, cant you just change your setting to WEP while you play and change back when your done?

DeathMachine
Dec 10, 2008, 02:30 AM
Does McDonalds still do the free wifi thing? They made such a big deal about it with Mario Kart, I figure PS0 is no different. There's like, what? 400 McDonalds in a 3 block radius? Shouldn't be too hard to figure out! Plus you can get fat as you play! Isn't that what you humans like to do, anyway? :D

Nowhere
Dec 10, 2008, 04:52 AM
A good chance there will be a DSi version of PS0? Have you heard some rumors, inside info, or is it just wishful thinking?

It relates more to Nintendo's licensing requirements for DSi games generally than it does to PSZ in specific. By "good chance" I mean "fair chance" though. Not, "it's probable." Basically, if it's something they want to do, there's nothing stopping them and in fact guidelines exist for them to follow. On even money I'd bet against, but if you gave me odds I'd put something on it. If PSZ came a little later, I'd call it a sure thing... assuming the DSi does really well (so far so good.)

ShadowInferno119
Dec 10, 2008, 01:07 PM
I understand your worries, and offer a few suggestions, one being changing your router to WEP key, for whenever you play online. I doubt, there will be anyone trying to crack it at that time(then again who knows).

The other is Nintendo WiFi USB, easily accesible buying it online through websites, like e-bay, newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868996003&Tpk=nintendo%20WiFi), I think even nintendo sells them online somewhere, or try GameStop.

Vanzazikon
Dec 10, 2008, 01:18 PM
I'm not worried, considering I have (not at the moment, cousin is borrowing) the Nintendo WiFi USB connector. These things are pretty cheap, If you don't feel like using WEP than just get that for the sake of PSZ. :wacko:

Commodity
Dec 10, 2008, 05:57 PM
I don't even have any encryption on my router. Considering I only use it for my Wii and DS.

If my neighbors wanted to steal my signal that's weak when you're 2 rooms away from the router, then by all means.

But I doubt my neighbors would know how anyways.

Zarode
Dec 10, 2008, 06:40 PM
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8122/ohnoxn0.jpg

Not your easily crackable internet...

Which probably wouldn't get cracked by your standard neighborhood idiot...

Meta77
Dec 10, 2008, 08:00 PM
also the DSi is region locked.

the_importer_
Dec 10, 2008, 09:00 PM
also the DSi is region locked.

For DSi games, not NDS

DraginHikari
Dec 10, 2008, 09:13 PM
Well this isn't really the fault of the developers more so simply due ot the limitations of the DS wifi capability and because the DS isn't something you can upgrade it's simply stuck with whatever was built in originally.

Nowhere
Dec 10, 2008, 09:16 PM
Actually, unless I'm mistaken all that's known for sure is that DSiWare (download software) is region-locked. The rationale for that would imply that DSi-specific carts are not, but Nintendo can be unpredictable.

Either way, NDS carts simply can't be region locked.

Risingsun
Dec 10, 2008, 09:56 PM
Actually, unless I'm mistaken all that's known for sure is that DSiWare (download software) is region-locked. The rationale for that would imply that DSi-specific carts are not, but Nintendo can be unpredictable.

Either way, NDS carts simply can't be region locked.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2163723&postcount=16

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198728

foamcup
Dec 10, 2008, 10:41 PM
Flash your router with DD-WRT and set up an isolated virtual SSID. Me? I'm sticking with Tomato and I'll just switch to WEP when I want to play because DD-WRT is a huge freaking hassle to use, every release fixes one thing and breaks another. Seriously, on an older version, I could run three wireless networks with SSID broadcast turned on, now I have to disable broadcast on the main network to enable anything to connect to the secondary network. The QOS controls are barely functional and support for Plug and Play may or may not work depending on the version number and the phase of the moon and the alignment of the goddamn planets. What was I saying? Oh yeah, I'll change my security to WEP to play.

Nowhere
Dec 10, 2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2163723&postcount=16

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198728

I stand corrected. I'm surprised I haven't come across that yet. Thanks for letting me know.

ShadowInferno119
Dec 11, 2008, 12:20 AM
Maybe set your SSID to not show, and put it to something one will guess(and obviously they can't crack) and set it to WEP your average neighbor couldn't crack that.

Criss
Dec 11, 2008, 02:06 AM
Not your easily crackable internet...

Which probably wouldn't get cracked by your standard neighborhood idiot...
The very reason I switched from WEP to WPA is because we found out that a device that didn't belong to us was connected to our router. When your ISP gives you a bandwidth limit per month and charges for extra, letting random neighbors abuse your connection can result in a very unpleasant bill at the end of the month.

Nice spray though, I like it.

Does McDonalds still do the free wifi thing? They made such a big deal about it with Mario Kart, I figure PS0 is no different. There's like, what? 400 McDonalds in a 3 block radius? Shouldn't be too hard to figure out! Plus you can get fat as you play! Isn't that what you humans like to do, anyway? :D
Unfortunately, the nearest McDonalds is a 20 minute walk away, and the nearest one that actually has wifi is 15 minutes away by car. Can't say I feel like getting out of the house, spending time and gas just to play online on a handheld console. Especially not in the middle of winter at -25 Celcius. -_-'

Of course I could go buy the Nintendo Wifi USB adaptor (if I feel like having the extra software on my machine), or change router settings to put a hidden SSID with a WEP key or block all mac addresses by default and entering mac addresses of my own devices to be allowed. But again, is PSZ worth that much trouble?

Vanzazikon
Dec 11, 2008, 05:23 AM
Of course I could go buy the Nintendo Wifi USB adaptor (if I feel like having the extra software on my machine), or change router settings to put a hidden SSID with a WEP key or block all mac addresses by default and entering mac addresses of my own devices to be allowed. But again, is PSZ worth that much trouble?IS PSZ worth it to you? It's not for us to say if playing PSZ is worth changing your whole network.

If you feel like it is, then change your router settings. If you don't want to change your router than use the USB WiFi connector. If you have a Wii router, you can use that also.

If by playing PSZ makes you do stuff you dare not do and you feel that it isn't worth it, then by all means give up playing PSZ online.

the_importer_
Dec 11, 2008, 07:06 AM
Of course I could go buy the Nintendo Wifi USB adaptor (if I feel like having the extra software on my machine), or change router settings to put a hidden SSID with a WEP key or block all mac addresses by default and entering mac addresses of my own devices to be allowed. But again, is PSZ worth that much trouble?

I don't see how an extra software on your PC is going to change anything unless you're running WinXP on a PIII.

It sounds like you're trying to convinced yourself not to buy the game or not to play it Online.

Commodity
Dec 11, 2008, 08:44 AM
Can we really tell you how much something is worth to you?

But I'd skip out on the Wifi USB adapter, the software is just a ridiculous hassle for starts, and when I've actually gotten it to work, I've found it to be slower than using a router.

(On a side note, I don't think spending a few minutes entering MAC Addresses is that much trouble, but to each their own)

Percival
Dec 11, 2008, 11:12 AM
Has Nintendo made the USB Wi-Fi dongle compatible with other operating systems than Windows?

Is it still available? I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo were discontinuing it.

Are they planning to sell their new wireless router in North America? I think I could use it as a bridge for my DS while at the same time keeping my network WPA protected.

(I'd love to be able to play online without downgrading my network security)

Dragwind
Dec 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
This issue actually never really crossed my mind, but I'm fortunate (sort of) for my ISP not charging by bandwith. Sounds like an alternative would be that usb hookup, but a friend hasn't had many good experiences with that thing.

DeathMachine
Dec 11, 2008, 12:26 PM
A local Gamestop told me that Nintendo no longer does the WiFi dongle thing. You gotta get a used one or buy from someone who has...

And who measures things in celcius? :P

the_importer_
Dec 11, 2008, 12:37 PM
Has Nintendo made the USB Wi-Fi dongle compatible with other operating systems than Windows?

Is it still available? I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo were discontinuing it.

Are they planning to sell their new wireless router in North America? I think I could use it as a bridge for my DS while at the same time keeping my network WPA protected.

(I'd love to be able to play online without downgrading my network security)

-XP and Vista Only
-It is discontinued, but still available in a lot of stores (too much stock Vs demand)
-You can buy one used
-You can just used a regular Router for your bridge and I don't think Nintendo will bring their Japanese router in NA

Percival
Dec 11, 2008, 12:40 PM
And who measures things in celcius? :P

Everyone not living in those red areas :D

Back on topic…

Ok, so apparently that USB dongle will no longer be unavailable. More reason for Nintendo to release their wireless bridge in North America, but somehow, I don't think they will. :/

I'd hate to be stuck in local multiplayer.

Kent
Dec 11, 2008, 03:03 PM
Nintendo pretty much stopped making the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi adapter... Possibly because they didn't feel like making it work with Vista.

While the thing did work with Windows XP just fine, it was very prone to overheating, as it could actually generate a fair amount of heat when plugged in and had no ventilation.

Evila
Dec 11, 2008, 06:30 PM
Nintendo pretty much stopped making the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi adapter... Possibly because they didn't feel like making it work with Vista.

While the thing did work with Windows XP just fine, it was very prone to overheating, as it could actually generate a fair amount of heat when plugged in and had no ventilation.
But it does work for Vista... the latest drivers added Vista support.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/customersupport/downloadUSB.jsp

Despite it being discontinued, some stores have extra old stock, and you can still find them for cheap on eBay. And don't forget, even third party wireless devices will work too. You don't need a Nintendo branded one.

And yeah, while the adapter did heat up pretty fast, I left it plugged in for long amounts of time and it never stopped working. Used it for a year or so. I ended up changing over to a wireless router to use the internet on my laptop all over the house though, so I ended up selling the adapter.

Never had a problem with people trying to hack into my wireless network... so I'm totally fine with still using WEP, and play online DS games all the time. Sucks for people that want to continue using WPA though... but oh well.

Kent
Dec 11, 2008, 06:42 PM
The release date of those drivers makes sense - it's a few months after I stopped wanting to use the thing, and I had switched over to Vista the day it released.

Risingsun
Dec 11, 2008, 06:53 PM
http://kotaku.com/5046565/nintendo-announces-wiids-wifi-router-bwah
is this the new Wii wifi adapter you were all talking about? Is it possible to import it? so no chance of it coming to North America?

Nowhere
Dec 12, 2008, 03:18 AM
Nah, I think they're talking about this: http://www.nintendo.ca/cgi-bin/usersite/display_info.cgi?lang=en&pageNum=8&from=gba&id=1875446

Risingsun
Dec 12, 2008, 03:37 AM
Nah, I think they're talking about this: http://www.nintendo.ca/cgi-bin/usersite/display_info.cgi?lang=en&pageNum=8&from=gba&id=1875446

no no, i know what they were talking when they discussed the USB adapter, i was talking about Wii wifi bridge someone mentioned as an alternative to the USB adapter.

Evila
Dec 12, 2008, 07:40 AM
http://kotaku.com/5046565/nintendo-announces-wiids-wifi-router-bwah
is this the new Wii wifi adapter you were all talking about? Is it possible to import it? so no chance of it coming to North America?

Yeah, that's the router people have been mentioning in this thread. I haven't seen it in any import stores online but even if it did show up, I wouldn't bother buying it. It's waaaay too expensive for what it does. There's cheaper stuff out there that will do the same thing, like the old Nintendo wifi adapter, or the wifi max from Datel.

Nowhere
Dec 12, 2008, 09:17 AM
Oh oops. I should pay more attention.