PDA

View Full Version : New Protanser Needs Help

Larson
Dec 11, 2008, 12:50 AM
So I first posted this on the general page, but I think that was the wrong place to post. So I am copy/pasting it here. This is not spam, and if it is I am sorry.

Hello, first time poster here.

So I just finally got my force to level 5 after leveling Fortefighter for a bit. I'm currently level 45 and a beast ( the race ) and I turned Protanser because it seemed like I would have decent melee capabilities with traps and my favorite shotguns and bows. Well my stats took a crazy drop when I became a Protranser and I couldn't use over half of the gear I gathered. My friend says this will improve around class level 10 or so, and traps are great fun. Now I do want to be a primarily melee with traps but I plan to use everything or just about, I am worried about this stat drop this being my first character and just been playing a little over a week and a half or so.

tl;dr version
Just became a Beast Protanser, want advice, tips etc.
Also 360 server.

- Jake

xBladeM6x
Dec 11, 2008, 12:52 AM
A Beast Protranser? Ehh... That might not work out in your favor just because the Protranser class has (I think) the worst ATA in the game, along with Beasts. You might hit a lot of Zeros. Invest in a Cati / Hit. Or Solid / Knight. (For later)

Anyways, yeah my alternate character (Cast) plays a protranser and it is good fun. Traps are essential, and the melee is good. Just level the class and your ATP will be enough to satisfy you. :D

Turb0
Dec 11, 2008, 12:53 AM
Yeah the stats suck on protranser until you level up your class. Like your friend said, you'll have decent stats at PT 10 and at 20 you'll have fairly good stats. PTs are noticeably weaker than FFs with axes, for example, but that's the price you pay for the versatility of the class. As annoying as PTs that literally do nothing but use EX traps are, that's not a horrible plan until you get your class to 5 or so because it's painful watching how little damage you do at first.:p

It's been a little while since I've been PT, but I think my palette had an axe, a spear, a bow, a shotgun, a laser, and...something else (can't remember). I'm sure more experienced PTs will help you out with some better advice.:p

Oh and you have the same name as a former GM who left a month or so ago. Random observations ftw.

Larson
Dec 11, 2008, 12:55 AM
Ouch, Beast Protranser no good? That really hurts lol because I don't have the time to start over and I have to catch up with my friends asap, so that really sucks.

One other concern of mine is money, I lost 4mil given to me before the roll back, now I'm just over one mil, also given to me, and everyone says PT are expensive, any advice there? And I hear there are traps I can only get if I synth them, where can I get those boards?

Larson
Dec 11, 2008, 12:56 AM
Oh and you have the same name as a former GM who left a month or so ago. Random observations ftw.

Last names FTW lol

So you say I should trap spam until my class levels? Thats fine with me, allows me to learn better :-)

Turb0
Dec 11, 2008, 12:58 AM
I've been beast PT, it's alright once you level your character and the class. Yeah you hit a fair share of zeros but it's not too bad. Like Blade said, getting an arm slot w/ some accuracy would probably be a good idea if the zeros start getting to you.

EDIT:
So you say I should trap spam until my class levels? Thats fine with me, allows me to learn better :-)

Well...if you want. The traps are what makes PT so expensive: If you use all 30 EX traps every mission, that's 18k you'll have to spend restocking. That's kind of what I did, but don't get in a habit of using nothing but traps. You'll actually do decent damage with weapons once you level up.

Larson
Dec 11, 2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah at the moment I'm using Mega/Knight which I believe is the best I can use at the moment. I'll tell my friends to keep an open as well lol, what about other suggestions for slots?

ashley50
Dec 11, 2008, 01:01 AM
use traps...LOTS of it. and lots of meseta for traps.

Larson
Dec 11, 2008, 01:04 AM
use traps...LOTS of it. and lots of meseta for traps.

I am lacking monies :(

xBladeM6x
Dec 11, 2008, 01:17 AM
I am lacking monies :(
Don't worry, as long as you have something that will boost your accuracy, your fine. And Beast are the hardest hitting race. So you'll do good damage. Just not as much as a Fortefighter. Which is still good. Or you can get a PP Skill Save, which is nice for using striking weapons.

Use Axes, Spears, Shotguns, and Bows OR Laser Cannons, and Of course traps. And no, there are no "special traps" that can only be synthesized. They are called EX Traps. They can be bought at any NPC. Also, don't worry about money. As you level you will be picking up enough money per mission to buy your traps again, without loosing money.

Short Answer: Don't worry, you'll be fine. ^^; Getting better will just take time.

Larson
Dec 11, 2008, 01:19 AM
Don't worry, as long as you have something that will boost your accuracy, your fine. And Beast are the hardest hitting race. So you'll do good damage. Just not as much as a Fortefighter. Which is still good.

Use Axes, Spears, Shotguns, and Bows OR Laser Cannons, and Of course traps. And no, there are no "special traps" that can only be synthesized. They are called EX Traps. They can be bought at any NPC.

Short Answer: Don't worry, invest in a ATA booster armor attachment and you will be fine. ^^;

Alright, thank you very much, I might try to get some money from a friend just to help out with the cost of traps, and the special traps came from some guy in a party last night about damage traps, but I didn't see in Dmg Ex traps.

Hrith
Dec 11, 2008, 01:39 AM
-change to Cast

-get all bullets for laser cannon (later) and shotgun (right away), and level them up to 40 (yeah...)

-get a few grenade launcher bullets (at least two)

-get Rising Strike (single saber), Bogga Zubba (knuckles), Dus Daggas (spear)

-when you have PA fragments (item you are rewarded with for beating S and S2 missions), get Anga Jabroga (axe), Bogga Robado (knuckles) and Dus Majarra (spear)

-always carry 10 of each EX trap when playing in parties, you will learn to use them well on your own, anyway.

Larson
Dec 11, 2008, 01:44 AM
Also for my pallet I planned on
Axes/Long Swords/Spears/Knuckles
Shotguns/Bows

xBladeM6x
Dec 11, 2008, 02:45 AM
Also for my pallet I planned on
Axes/Long Swords/Spears/Knuckles
Shotguns/Bows
Sounds good. The only EX Traps are Burn, Freeze and Stun. Freeze being the best.

Zeek123
Dec 11, 2008, 02:57 AM
More of a melee person, eh? Well... my favorite class happens to be protranser, and I can say it's really hard at first. Really hard. Like the others said before me, being a beast will put you at a disadvantage because of the horrible accuracy stat. HP and defense will definitely be your worst enemy until you get to PT 10. I recommend the invincibility nanoblast, so you can get out of some tight spots.

I'm a gunner at heart, and that's why PT was a natural choice for me. I never expected the traps to be so useful. In my opinion, you may want to open up a little to guns. Especially bows. With your horrible defenses, the long range attacks will help you out a lot. Plus, bows level very quickly and have a high status effect level. Lasers would be a good investment as well ONLY if you seriously plan on staying PT. I found lasers invaluable against mobs that just kept rushing me.

All in all, protransers rock PSU and can be invaluable to a party. They just need a little love first.

IsoDonk
Dec 11, 2008, 03:05 AM
I've been protransing for a whle and one thing I like about the class is that everyone seems to have a different take on it. It's up to you to find out how to play in the way that suits you best.

However:

- Freeze Trap EX is your friend, but be aware that some enemies are freeze resistant! Learn what can't be frozen and what freezes well
- You can use Virus Trap Gs before using a Freeze EX for some additional damage over time (this works well on Svaltuseseseses)
- As far as weapons go, my pallet is usually something like:
o Saber/Handgun
o Spear (Dus Majarra)
o Axe (Anga Jabroga)
o Laser Cannon
o Knuckles (Bogga Danga/Bogga Robado - Danga is a good all-rounder, but Robado is probably the best way to deal quick damage to one target, for a PT)
o Grenade Launcher (Boma Duranga) or a sword (Tornado Break) depending on mission

Bows only really come out in boss fights these days, they were my main attack back in V1 while I was struggling through the lower levels but now they're very situational. Shotguns I don't really bother with, I have Barada Maga (EVP down) which can be useful in some Deljaban-related situations but PT Shotgun damage is lacking somewhat, generally.

(that said I have the dark Shotgun bullet to 31, and should really try that out to see how effective it is - all my other shotgun bullets are ~21 and can't really keep up damagewise)

To start off with as a Protranser, getting through the early levels you really want to be playing with a couple of other people, and keeping your weapon/PA selection to damage limitation - use your bows for a few levels, equip Rising Strike to your saber and keep it handy in case you need to whip it out and knock stuff about for a bit until you're in less danger of getting hit.

Axes and other high-rank weapons won't really be usable until about lv45 and even then you'll probably be stuck with either an Aksuc (don't even bother) or a Yohmei axe (bit weak). Either way, don't splash all your money on heavy weapons as soon as you can use them just because you can use them - I did this to begin with and then all the stuff just ended up sat in storage as I couldn't really use it effectively, either too weak or hitting too many zeroes.

Anyway. Feel free to ignore any of that if you want :) Hope you enjoy the class!

Genoa
Dec 11, 2008, 03:25 AM
I prefer CAST PT since in the situations where Traps are most essential, it seems to be where most Beast PT's tend to Nanoblast =/
As CAST, you can quickly SUV and get back to your traps.
A Beast PT still works well however. I would go (blue badged) beast for invulnerability until your PT is pretty near 20. PT has a horrendous start, but gains significantly with each level.
You'll probably be stuck using Bows and Shotguns at first just so you can get some good safe hits in.
In my opinion, You're Primary weapons as PT will be (in no particular order):
Shotguns
Laser Cannons
Axe
Spears
Grenade Launchers
EX Traps

As Hrith said, a Saber with Rising Strike is nice to get some Launch on enemies that need to be interrupted. I suppose you could combo that with a handgun <_> heh.
Knuckles are very nice too.

biggabertha
Dec 11, 2008, 03:56 AM
All six elemental Laser Cannon PAs are a must, really. The damage you can do with them is astounding - all three (soon to be four) types that can use them are very powerful with them. Try your best to hit at least three targets with the correct opposite element (Fire opposes ice, Lightning opposes Ground, Light opposes Dark) with a high level Prism (Lv. 40 Prisms grant over 210% attack!) and you'll out-damage most weapons in the game. If you manage to hit four targets only a handful of PAs can beat it in terms of DPS and if you hit five targets or more, then you hold the most powerful weapon in the game.

Laser Cannons are that good and you will find a lot of groups of enemies that just line up nicely together. Practice with the weapon so you can see how wide the beam can hit, you'd be surprised at the range it has!

Shotguns are awesome for two enemies or a single enemy with two areas to hit on them. They're pretty good against just one enemy as well and they level pretty fast too - it might be hard but try your best to learn how to Just Counter (or Timed Counter) with them. It really speeds up how fast you can fire that Shotgun. Again, all six elements are pretty much required for a good damage output.

Grenade Launchers are awesome for holding down one, two, three or even four enemies off. Each bullet takes a long time to actually hit anything (in fact, you have to hit something "solid," such as a wall or a floor in order for the bullet to come into effect) but they knock any enemy susceptible to knock back, back. They do take time to learn how to use though and ill use of this weapon can actually slow your party down so do your best to learn which enemies you can safely target with them (large creatures with two or three hit areas or dangerous enemies such as Vandas are good options). Aim to get Ice, Ground and Dark to begin with.

Handgun and Longbow are nice, easy weapons to use early on. It's rare to really require their use anymore but I'd cover all six elements with both weapons at your own pace. Neither of these weapons are completely integral to your game but honourable mentions are Fire, Ice, Ground and Light bullets for either weapon. They do help on boss fights.

Saber helps out if you plan to go with a Handgun. Pairing these two weapons gives you a good mobile offence option - one weapon can be used for the approach, the other can be used to inflict damage while keeping one to four enemies from disturbing you. Rising Strike and Frozen Hit are a nice, cheap and effective way to start things off.

Knuckles and Spears have great attack and accuracy native to their weapon and to their skills. I highly recommend you obtain Bogga Zubba and Dus Daggas for fast and effective damage right off the bat. They take time to learn but they deal a lot of damage in a very short amount of time. Resort to either of these PAs for those times when you come across an enemy that takes less damage from bullets than normal (there's a lot of them in this game).

Sword and Axe are hard to use early on but Tornado Break and Anga Dugrega will help you deal with enemies that get too close to you. Both of these skills keep enemies off of you slower than Rising Strike but at a much higher damage potential (plus, I like the way Anga Dugrega looks) but all in all, they're fairly inaccurate and will miss when you really need them to hit.

Traps are nice additions to your arsenal but you need to get fairly close and experimental to see how far they can hit. They're expensive, yes but the EX variety does offer things that cannot be easily replicated such as holding up to five creatures down while the rest of the party can freely use their powerful moves. These are expensive to learn how to use so take care. You can find the synthesis boards on the second floor in Clyez City's Synthesis store. They sell all varieties but all item vendors also sell them.

Kumlekar
Dec 11, 2008, 04:26 AM
Beast PT will be extremely hard for the first 6 levels or so, but thats true of any race. Protranser doesnt' get full ATA til class lv 6, and doesn't have a ATA boost till class lv 12. Its true that the cast ATA would help the class, but theres no reason that you can't play a beast. I would invest in some accuracy buffing equiptment though. As a beast you wont' suffer the same armor problems that a cast transer will, because you don't absolutely require an extra slot.

Recomendations for weapons:
All elemental bow PA's. This is mainly for bosses and flying enemies.
At least 2 elemental laser PA's, special ones are optional. Laser is great damage, but situational.
Get 1 Shotgun PA and LEVEL IT! As transer shotgun is fabulous for almsot any situation. Even if your primarily melee, its a fabulous backup weapon, and takes a long time to burn through ammo.
Boma Riga/Boma Durenga (spelling?) for grenade. This is for killing multi target enemies.

As for melee, Sword is useful, but a preference. The AOE is fabulous, but can be hard to use in solo situations. Tornado or gravity break for this.

Axe is in the same boat, some love it, some hate it. Just please, if you go axe, level anga durega. Its a controlled knockdown on demand. Use it to isolate and enemy and take it out, or to rack up damage on a two target enemy without it fighting back. Jarbroga is a mediocre replacement for a grenade launcher and redda is the lazy man's durega.

Spear = Majarra, this is one of the highest damage PA's in the game, and unfortuanetly none of the other spear PA's even come close. Also its one of the easiest to level.

Saber/Handgun. Rising strike+ Bullet of your choice. This is a better combination for transer than most other classes due to transers lack of light weapons. it lets you deal damage while on the move, and get enemies away from you fast. none of yoru other weapons can offer that.

Knuckles are preferential. I love them, but really they don't offer much that anything else can't do just as good.

At level 49, you won't be able to afford to use EX traps everywhere, but have em with you jsut the same. they'll pay for themselves eventually, and will charge your nanoblast like nothing else.

Larson
Dec 11, 2008, 11:27 AM
Alright guys, thanks for all the help, I'm going to start by addressing all the points that were made.

So the first one said was I need to open up more to guns, and I agree, I plan on using Shotguns and either Bows or Laser Cannons not sure which yet, and then having the rest of my pallet most likely be melee weapons.

So I did one white beast run last night before I had to get off, and I'm level 44 almost 45 and it was very hard! At least alone it was, I was using too many traps and I couldn't use half the of PT gear that I got, had to wear lower armor, with a party it went pretty well but I need to get this class leveled fast!

Any tips on how to do this? I would say White Beast A but I would probably get my teethed knocked out lol.

ashley50
Dec 11, 2008, 11:40 AM
while being a low level PT class...its best to keep your distance to any enemies that deals the most damage. (this is what I did) well actually keep your distance to anything, just lay traps to at least assist them while you tag enemies to level up fast.

and uhm...Join parties?

Turb0
Dec 11, 2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah traps are good for parties so you can do some damage and get hits in but they'll take forever to kill things solo.

Larson
Dec 12, 2008, 01:58 AM
So are Protransers no good solo?

biggabertha
Dec 12, 2008, 03:00 PM
Protransers are a team class. We excel in supporting the party at our own expense.

You will almost certainly see people thank the Force/Wartecher/Guntecher/Fortetecher/Acrotecher for buffs, heals and perhaps even debuffs but you will almost never see people thank a Protranser for keeping 5-10 enemies locked down with Stun or Freeze EX traps.

We're okay solo but in order to do well solo, you will need to level those bullets up.

Shotgun, Laser Cannon and Grenade Launcher are fantastic ways to speed up a run.

I know someone whom claimed they knew it all about Protransers and spent nearly one hour to clear White Beast S2 using nothing but her Nasuyoteri (12* Yohmei Longbow) with Insei-Sou 35-40, Anga Redda 21+, Tornado Break 21+ and Barada Megiga 21+.

I can do it in 26 minutes using Dark Prism 40, Boma Duranga 40, Barada Megiga 40 and Dus Daggas 30 (it's faster with Dus Majarra but I like the look of Dus Daggas).

Seriously, seriously, seriously, please level all elemental Shotgun and Laser bullets if you want to deal lots of damage in a short amount of time. Yes, they take time but it's worth it to know you can slice run times in half (or even more!) with them.

InfiniDragon
Dec 13, 2008, 01:09 AM
Alrighty, here are my thoughts as a long time Newman PT (yeah that's right, a Newman XD):

Traps: As everyone else here said, traps are your friend. Just be sure to use them in the proper situations. Going around spamming EXs on random mobs will kill em, but you can use those things in much more dire straits to great effect. Virus Trap G into Freeze EX is a godsend. Not only do you freeze them so that your party can kill them with extreme prejudice, when you're solo (as I often am) you get serious damage in at no risk to your HP as the Virus kicks in and hits for insane numbers while they're frozen. Then all you need is a couple of shotty blasts or a PA and they're down. Burn EX with Stun EX is another nice combo.

Melee: Some people will tell you go the route most traveled and spam Majarra and Jabroga til the cows come home, and that's certainly an option. But each wep PT uses has at least one move that warrants its use, so if you like it, use it. I personally go for the "pull out my Agito and chop their face off with a Grav Break" tactic. Also, do keep in mind that ATA is a big deal for PT (especially a Beast one) so moves with higher ATA would definitely be a consideration. Good recommended PAs are Gravity Break, Bogga Robado, Anga Redda/Jabroga (ATA isn't a factor with Jabroga, which is way good), Rising Strike and Dus Daggas/Majarra.

Bullets: Know them. Love them. I recommend all elemental bullets for every type of ranged weapon except for Handgun. Some people may say otherwise, but I find Handguns to be outclassed by all the rest of the guns PT has to offer. First and foremost, level shotgun bullets. They do insane amounts of damage and the effects can help you to control the pace of the fight. I recommend Freeze first, then Virus, then the rest.

Line Shields/Units: Be sure your getting shields that have arm slots on them, so that you may be able to use ATA and ATP enhancing units like Solid/Knight, Cati/Hit or Red/Knight (lol if you're lucky). I tend to go for balanced armor, as opposed to the stuff that heavily favors EVA or DEF. However, since you're a Beast, your stats will be much different, so get armor that covers your strengths. I use a Yiel Line myself.

Lastly, I tend to disagree with most people on the fact that a PT can't shine solo. A Protranser is indeed an excellent and sometimes invaluable support unit, but their true strength, in my opinion is their nearly unparalleled ability to deal every frickin' Status Effect under the sun. This allows you to make most enemies fight your fight, not their fight. Gaozorans or other irritating magic casters? Confuse or silence them, and watch their magic become completely useless. Melee attacks? Shock em'. Mobs? Freeze or Stun them. A PT can take away just about every enemies' signature tactic, and this greatly lowers their ability to kill you. Which is good. It might take you a bit longer than a Beast FF with Jabroga clearing every room, but you can solo.

Kumlekar
Dec 13, 2008, 04:27 AM
Protranser would be so much better if inventory space was more readily availiable. G traps suffer when you can only carry 5 per type.

Hrith
Dec 13, 2008, 05:08 AM
Seriously, seriously, seriously, please level all elemental Shotgun and Laser bullets if you want to deal lots of damage in a short amount of time. Yes, they take time but it's worth it to know you can slice run times in half (or even more!) with them.Can't stress that enough. PT bullets greatly outdamage PT melee skills, no matter how much easier the melee route is.

jcm5
Dec 16, 2008, 09:33 PM
i have gone down this road beast protanser.. good fun but i wuz a lv 114 so ill be hitting alot more. just keep leveling it. and if u dont like it just switch to FF. lol

panzer_unit
Dec 17, 2008, 01:12 PM
I know someone whom claimed they knew it all about Protransers and spent nearly one hour to clear White Beast S2 using nothing but her Nasuyoteri (12* Yohmei Longbow) with Insei-Sou 35-40, Anga Redda 21+, Tornado Break 21+ and Barada Megiga 21+

horrible choices in bold