PDA

View Full Version : We better hope this product doesn't contribute to duping/hac

blueicesolid
Feb 5, 2003, 11:36 PM
I was viewing the ASCII keyboard at lik-sang and stumbled upon this: *removed by request*

It's a USB memory card that can transfer saved data from the memory card to the computer. I hope this doesn't contribute to cheating...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blueicesolid on 2003-02-05 21:42 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2003-02-25 21:12 ]</font>

ICANSEEYOU7687
Feb 10, 2003, 09:41 PM
yea well..it says that u can get game saves...that would technically allow u to dupe...LoL thats sucks, unless PSO has a lock down on it or something...

Zell_Hogmaw
Feb 13, 2003, 12:28 AM
DOUBT IT! ^_^ ::Victory sign::

KillerCC1101
Feb 13, 2003, 01:05 AM
another possible dupe method...sheesh

BonusKun
Feb 14, 2003, 12:48 PM
Unless the old DC failsafe is attached as well. Back in the early DC days people tried to copy their files to two seperate VMUs. Now this worked fine and dandy offline but when you quit and save a game your file is givin a sort of time stamp marking when you quit the game.

Now if you go online with your copied file it will be ok however if you quit and go back online with your original file it will detect that the stamp is off and 'Reset' your character. Meaning all your weapons, items, armor, mag well be erased back to basic levels.

The only thing you get to keep of course is your level. Heh if you were like level 149 with only 23k left to level up tho you're outta luck with that seeing as your exp get reset to the starting point of the level you previously reached.

I don't think this device will make duping any easier. If Sega's got that old failsafe left from the DC on the server which I'm sure it's there, then this will be pure comedy to see how many n00bies are crying that they lost all their 1337 rarez.

Puppypunter
Feb 16, 2003, 03:20 AM
don't think this device will make duping any easier. If Sega's got that old failsafe left from the DC on the server which I'm sure it's there, then this will be pure comedy to see how many n00bies are crying that they lost all their 1337 rarez.

I dont see where that little "failsafe" will stop duping at all. You can still dupe away offline. As long as you dont go online with the Characters on the USB Card, you wont have problems.

DJ_Monkey
Feb 16, 2003, 03:45 AM
And that's why this product is harmless. Dupes made on the USB card will be harmless, since they'll never get the chance to get online. There won't be any more duping than there is right now.

GandorDurin
Feb 16, 2003, 03:50 AM
Err...I think the point is that if there's a way to dupe offline then the duped stuff can be brought online...That's because the game doesn't care what is transfered offline. So if there's a way to copy the character data then that's the easiest way to dupe...

If it's a one-way copy to some weird card then that would be different, but I'm assuming the copy can exchange items with another character on another memory card and then be deleted and the original character copied again etc.

I'd love to be able to make a backup of all my characters, but I'd rather risk losing everything than have such an easy duping method exist...

TenguMan007
Feb 16, 2003, 12:45 PM
Yup thanks for showing another duping method.

Zell_Hogmaw
Feb 17, 2003, 12:34 AM
hehehehehe CHEATERS WIN AGAIN!

gamehack
Feb 18, 2003, 12:28 PM
you can only go online once with it because of the stamping thing you are talking about, but i know someone that has one and yes if you transfer offline to a different memory card it doesn't have a problem with it for some stupid reason.

Vantamiath
Feb 18, 2003, 01:35 PM
On 2003-02-16 21:34, Zell_Hogmaw wrote:

I dont recall cheaters ever winning, especially brain-dead ones with no thoughts about others.

Mowse
Feb 18, 2003, 10:17 PM
ah ha! but you be wrong! cheaters didnt win. >=) Sega made a patch on the GC. Each item has its own ID number now. and if it sees you online with 2 items with the same #, they go *POOF*! >=D We wiiiin!

Vic_Viper
Feb 20, 2003, 07:49 PM
I wonder the size of a such database ... I doubt a "cost savy" (read as cheapo here) Sonic Team would waste their greens with extra server power, bandwidth, memory and crew to implement a such feature .... If they are going to sunk their money in something, they better do a new PSO next year or they will lose market.

(In the end being cheap made the game simple, which explains why PSO is a so big sucess while FFXI is just a big name for a small online community.)

Sashi
Feb 20, 2003, 09:50 PM
On 2003-02-18 19:17, Mowse wrote:
ah ha! but you be wrong! cheaters didnt win. >=) Sega made a patch on the GC. Each item has its own ID number now. and if it sees you online with 2 items with the same #, they go *POOF*! >=D We wiiiin!

If that was true, many people would not be on PSO this moment.

A freind of mine got this card a while back, to save other games, like SSBM, and everything else she has.

Anyway, we have noticed a problem. It doesnt work well. The Software it comes with is buggy, and likes to crash during transfer of data, to and from the card. When this happens, the entire card goes corrupt, and you have to reformat the card.

It also tends to save really really fast in comparison to the other memory cards I have seen. The save screen is there and gone. I dont know if its just faster, or if the corruption is causing weird things.

Elusive_Llama
Feb 21, 2003, 08:17 AM
Good thing you can make a backup on the PC. At least you can always restore if something screws up...unlike normal non-USB cards.

Zell_Hogmaw
Feb 23, 2003, 03:49 AM
On 2003-02-18 10:35, iHATEpsoCHEATERS wrote:

On 2003-02-16 21:34, Zell_Hogmaw wrote:

I dont recall cheaters ever winning, especially brain-dead ones with no thoughts about others.

dont be bitchy. Not all cheaters are bad, thats the same as hating all jewish people or all black people. You are basically racist and thats not nice. I dont want to make you freeze you screen or kill you character or any of that, i just want rares.

Raist
Feb 23, 2003, 03:59 AM
On 2003-02-23 00:49, Zell_Hogmaw wrote:
dont be bitchy. Not all cheaters are bad, thats the same as hating all jewish people or all black people. You are basically racist and thats not nice. I dont want to make you freeze you screen or kill you character or any of that, i just want rares.

Actually it's be more like discriminating against criminals, since your breaking the rules and such.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raist on 2003-02-23 01:00 ]</font>

Blood_Dragoon
Feb 23, 2003, 09:33 PM
On 2003-02-23 00:59, Raist wrote:

On 2003-02-23 00:49, Zell_Hogmaw wrote:

Actually it's be more like discriminating against criminals, since your breaking the rules and such.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raist on 2003-02-23 01:00 ]</font>

Right. But to put a little more perspective on it. Sure a guy sent to jail for robbery isn't as bad as a serial killer. However both of these people goto jail and hence are treated the same by the general population. Why? Because both of them broke the law.

*Typo*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blood_Dragoon on 2003-02-23 18:34 ]</font>

Sedyne
Feb 24, 2003, 06:32 PM
Pretty dumb of you to even post that the item is even availble. Half of this place crawls with people that want that item. ^_^ Including me but yeah heheh. but it would um relieve stress of dupers worring about corruption...thats about it.

Guest94094
Feb 25, 2003, 01:30 AM
Advice to admins: remove the link from his post. This product works well if you have some common computer knowledge. Trust me...

Redleaf
Feb 25, 2003, 02:45 AM
On 2003-02-24 22:30, Guest94094 wrote:
Advice to admins: remove the link from his post. This product works well if you have some common computer knowledge. Trust me...

There is already a topic on how to use that... And i think people can find this item pretty easily by themselves.

Tulathis
Feb 25, 2003, 10:29 AM
It's a USB memory card that can transfer saved data from the memory card to the computer. I hope this doesn't contribute to cheating...

If you can get the data onto your computer and your're computer savy... this leads to much worse things than just duping.

rena-ko
Feb 25, 2003, 12:49 PM
On 2003-02-21 05:17, Elusive_Llama wrote:
Good thing you can make a backup on the PC. At least you can always restore if something screws up...unlike normal non-USB cards.

thats really a good point - i'm still thinking about such a mem-card - and if its just to save my guildcardfile... hm...

edit:
<- oh... my post of evil, filled with evil thoughts (pc: 666) - begone, devil!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-02-25 09:50 ]</font>

Elusive_Llama
Feb 25, 2003, 03:16 PM
I hear that backups of your PSO char file cannot be taken online because the servers will put a timestamp on your file when you go on.

So you log on with your main file, get the timestamp, and log off. If you load a previous backup ontop of that file (with an older timestamp), the servers will detect that and you can't go online.

At least, that's what I've heard, and that's what the FAQ for the product says. So, if this is true, you wouldn't be able to restore and go back online.

I've kept a copy of that method of fixing memory corruptions, and I think I'll be using that instead.

IS there a feasible way for Sega to have allowed us to make backups without allowing duping?

ICANSEEYOU7687
Feb 25, 2003, 05:13 PM
yea...loosing ur items it 1 thing...but loosing a lvl 130 character with 150 hrs + is another...rares can be gotten again...but 150 hrs is a lot...

ICANSEEYOU7687
Feb 25, 2003, 05:15 PM
but i agree admins delete this post...cause this is almost like a HOWTO on duping...AHH TAKE IT AWAY!!

Legolas07
Feb 26, 2003, 07:18 PM
Hackers and Cheaters just suck. Period.

Zell_Hogmaw
Feb 26, 2003, 11:29 PM
Im a cheater, i dont hate legits. Why do legits hate cheaters so much? Why can't we all just get along?

Tulathis
Feb 28, 2003, 04:08 AM
Im a cheater, i dont hate legits. Why do legits hate cheaters so much? Why can't we all just get along?

This is a simple one. Legit players ruin nothing for cheaters. Quite the opposite in fact. Without legits, cheaters wouldn't get the thrill of having something that others don't. Cheaters, on the other hand, ruin many things for legits. I'm not preaching here. I wasn't exactly legit on the DC PSO. I'm just answering your question. If you want to cheat that's your choice, just don't fault legits for having their own view of things.

Blood_Dragoon
Feb 28, 2003, 04:37 AM
On 2003-02-28 01:08, J-3PO wrote:

This is a simple one. Legit players ruin nothing for cheaters. Quite the opposite in fact. Without legits, cheaters wouldn't get the thrill of having something that others don't. Cheaters, on the other hand, ruin many things for legits. I'm not preaching here. I wasn't exactly legit on the DC PSO. I'm just answering your question. If you want to cheat that's your choice, just don't fault legits for having their own view of things.

For the most part you hit the nail on the head. However only the extremists go as far as to flat out hate cheaters for no other reason than the fact they are cheating.

Malkavian
Feb 28, 2003, 01:29 PM
Cheaters must accept the consequences.

MonoxideChild
Mar 5, 2003, 06:21 AM
I don't think dupes are the greatest thing, but I really don't care. I think of it like this. I'd rather just have dupes, than people going out doing FSOD's, CK, Nol'ing, FSOD, etc.

What would you rather have, your character corrupted or a bunch of idiots with lvl 11 characters using red sabers?

Thought so.

BrokenHope
Mar 5, 2003, 08:02 AM
On 2003-02-26 16:18, Legolas07 wrote:

Way to go hypocrite, i know for a fact you use dupes, you even trade the damn things.

RuneLateralus
Mar 5, 2003, 09:11 PM
On 2003-03-05 05:02, Broken Hope wrote:

On 2003-02-26 16:18, Legolas07 wrote:

Way to go hypocrite, i know for a fact you use dupes, you even trade the damn things.

Ok, please refrain from using comments like this on the board. They are not needed.

brillyfresh
Mar 16, 2003, 01:08 AM
about the timestamp: it wouldn't matter anyway as long as both saves had the same timestamp, would it? wouldn't you be able to log on with either savefile, as long as one didn't have a different timestamp?

and as far as each item having a unique id, that's a croc ... if that was true, there wouldn't be any dupes on pso, period.