PDA

View Full Version : Item combination & resist questions

kejen
Dec 22, 2008, 11:23 AM
Just started to play this game a couple weeks ago, and really liking it. Have a question that I can't seem to find the answers for.

For the item combinations, where do I see the stat bonus in the game? I have a item combination (yamata senba + yamata misaki). Doesnt' show the bonus anywhere in my stats. I read I might need to be a certain level for it to work, if this is true, where can I find the levels on these item combinations?
Thanks.

Dhylec
Dec 22, 2008, 11:59 AM
Info on item combo here: http://www.pso-world.com/items-psu-combinations.php

kejen
Dec 22, 2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks.

I saw that. But what I mean is when I wear these items, I get no boost in stats. Where in the game would it show the boosted stats?

JAFO22000
Dec 22, 2008, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately, the game itself does not explain nor list the boosts anywhere in the menu. It doesn't even mention the boost aside from a vague entry in the description area (e.g. "May work well with certain line sheilds").

The boost is only seen when you actual attack (or defend) certain items. A good way to see if the boost is active is to look at the lists in the link listed above and test it yourself. Use one of the weapon/line sheild combos and record the damage you do to a certain creature, then switch your line sheild (keeping the same weapon equipped!) and record the damage again.

kejen
Dec 22, 2008, 12:40 PM
I see, thank you.

Realized I forgot to ask my second question. Those rainbow items that go in the body slot give an elemental resist. Wouldn't that pretty much cancel all the elements out? I thought if you were 20% stronger to fire, then you were 20% weaker to cold. So if you were 20% stronger to fire and cold, now you're back to 0. Does that make sense?

acidOD
Dec 22, 2008, 02:09 PM
I see, thank you.

Realized I forgot to ask my second question. Those rainbow items that go in the body slot give an elemental resist. Wouldn't that pretty much cancel all the elements out? I thought if you were 20% stronger to fire, then you were 20% weaker to cold. So if you were 20% stronger to fire and cold, now you're back to 0. Does that make sense?

You need to think about situational uses. I mean you can FEEL like it's a waste to be 20% more resistant to one element and simultaneously be 20% weaker to its opposite element, but the fact remains you are still literally stronger to one and weaker to another.

I haven't used an Ele% unit in awhile, but some of the current GBR runs I have been. When I run scarred beast or lightning beast (or egg thieves)... I don't really worry too much about status attacks getting me, so I wear the Ele% unit for a boost. However if I go run White Beast... I would gladly ditch the Ele% for a sleep resist.

I guess long story short if you're going for an ultimate armor build... the units you use will probably differ depending upon your level, your class level, your armor, and most importantly the mission(s) you're running.

I personally use an ATP unit in arm slot, an aura unit in extra slot, and my body slot is always changing depending on what I'm doing.

kejen
Dec 22, 2008, 03:05 PM
Right, you're stronger to lightning and weaker to earth. But also stronger to earth so weaker in lightning. Cancels them all out.

I guess it depends how much weaker being stronger to the opposite element makes you. If being 20% stronger in fire makes you only 10% weaker to cold, and 20% stronger in cold makes you 10% weaker to fire, then it's a 10% gain across the board.

Can't see them making an item that is completely pointless, though. So it has to do something.

Tetsaru
Dec 22, 2008, 04:20 PM
The /rainbow units, afaik, only give a boost to the element of the armor you equip it to. So, if you had a 50% lightning armor, and equipped a Legsless/Rainbow, you'd essentially have a 68% lightning armor. As a result, you'd take even less damage from lightning-element attacks, but even MORE damage from ground-element attacks. If you want to protect yourself against multiple elements, then you'll need multiple armors with different elements linked to each of them, and switch out as necessary.

JAFO22000
Dec 22, 2008, 04:24 PM
If you're speaking of the rainbow series of items (like the Legless Rainbow), these items increase the elemental percentage of whatever type of line shield you are wearing.

If you wear an ice line shield, the rainbow unit will boost the line shield's percentage vs. ice (and subsequently increase it's deficiency against fire). However, if you take the rainbow unit and put it in a dark armor, it will boost this line shield's percentage vs. dark, etc.

The elemental boost depends on the type of line shield you use the rainbow slot item with.

acidOD
Dec 22, 2008, 05:10 PM
Right, you're stronger to lightning and weaker to earth. But also stronger to earth so weaker in lightning. Cancels them all out.

I see what you're thinking now Kejen, but like Tetsaru says, to my knowledge the Ele%+ units only apply to the ele of the armor you're currently wearing. To be frank, I've never done any testing, just presumed that's how they worked.

kejen
Dec 22, 2008, 05:25 PM
Ahhh. Makes sense now. Thanks a lot.