PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Having Difficult Time Not Knowing The Language?

JingleJangs
Dec 23, 2008, 10:31 AM
Just curouis if anyone was finding it hard not knowing the language at all and playing. Im contemplating importing. Just curious.

Aqualic-EX
Dec 23, 2008, 10:42 AM
No big problems have occured so far, but if you like to know the story and don't know the meaning of all those BILLIONS of messages... I don't think you'll enjoy it then, but that's only if you only play to learn the story.

The gameplay is simple and enjoyable even without understanding everything (such as me), and some items are easily figured out (even without trail-and-error).

Of course it also counts if you're a ''veteran'' or not with playing the PS games, but I suppose it's a 50/50 chance it really has big influence on how you'll play.

jmanx
Dec 23, 2008, 11:12 AM
Ok let me put it like this if you never played pso or not long enough you are going to have quite some trouble but if you played pso you can just jump right into it.

JingleJangs
Dec 23, 2008, 11:16 AM
I only have played PSU. But it was only for like a month or two at most. I understad the PSP demo well enough. (I think) But way more interested in PSZ.

jmanx
Dec 23, 2008, 11:28 AM
I only have played PSU. But it was only for like a month or two at most. I understad the PSP demo well enough. (I think) But way more interested in PSZ.

Well that is going to be kinda a problem since psu is way differnt than PSO and when psz is like a port of pso.

KuroNetsune
Dec 23, 2008, 11:34 AM
I'd have problems if I didn't knew the language :V

but I understand at least the katakana and hiragana well enough, so I get by wonderfuly

JingleJangs
Dec 23, 2008, 11:35 AM
oh wells, ill just wait till its released here. Thank you for the info.

DemonMike
Dec 23, 2008, 12:04 PM
I'm fortunate enough to know katakana, which alot of the items are wrote in, so I can usually understand what they are. This probably is enforced by the fact I've played Phantasy Star titles before, so once I work out the name, I know what it does. No clue about the story I'm playing however, as I dont understand that much.

Even if you dont understand the language, you can still learn just by playing. Ofcourse, you wont understand the dialogue that well, but noticing what each item does and remembering the katakane used for them will help you alot. From just looking around various forums (Including this one), there are translation guides of menu's and occasionally items.

I'm trying not to get too attached to my character in the Jap version for the reason I know I'd prefer it in english, and will be purchasing the english version as soon as its released.

jmanx
Dec 23, 2008, 01:29 PM
import is worth getting even if you havent played pso ;D

Reginaldo
Dec 23, 2008, 02:16 PM
I dunno any Japanese at all and I'm having a ton of fun with it.