PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Wi-Fi Connector/Adapter?

Immovable One
Jan 1, 2009, 08:33 PM
Greetings,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but....

I wanna play PS0 online like everybody else. Problem is, our router's security setting is set to WPA.... whatever that is (I don't know those stuff), and it turns out my DS won't connect to the internet because of it. Also, my brother refuses to change the security settings to WEP of all the stuff in the house (Wii, 4 laptops, a PC, & an Xbox360) for the sake of my DS. Even I wouldn't do that because it was indeed stupid.

So I was thinking of paying for a possible solution - either the temporarily discontinued Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector, or the new Nintendo Wi-Fi Network Adapter.

I'm not really sure if they are really solutions since I'm still not 100% certain they would let me connect to the internet despite the router WPA security settings, but from what I read, that's what it'll allow me to do.

Also, both the USB connector & Network Adapter are about $50.

Which one should I get?

Oh and yeah, are Japanese versions of these accessories compatible with my US DS?

Thanks guys^^

the_importer_
Jan 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
Greetings,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but....

I wanna play PS0 online like everybody else. Problem is, our router's security setting is set to WPA.... whatever that is (I don't know those stuff), and it turns out my DS won't connect to the internet because of it. Also, my brother refuses to change the security settings to WEP of all the stuff in the house (Wii, 4 laptops, a PC, & an Xbox360) for the sake of my DS. Even I wouldn't do that because it was indeed stupid.

So I was thinking of paying for a possible solution - either the temporarily discontinued Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector, or the new Nintendo Wi-Fi Network Adapter.

I'm not really sure if they are really solutions since I'm still not 100% certain they would let me connect to the internet despite the router WPA security settings, but from what I read, that's what it'll allow me to do.

Also, both the USB connector & Network Adapter are about $50.

Which one should I get?

Oh and yeah, are Japanese versions of these accessories compatible with my US DS?

Thanks guys^^

Don't know about the new Nintendo Wi-Fi unit since it's not out in NA, but the old Nintendo USB dongle works like a charm. I bought one when I switched to a 802.11n router because this new technology wasn't compatible with WEP.

Sure it's extra spending, but you can carry Wi-Fi with you and play Online anywhere with a Internet access and WinXP/Vista. Look in your local game stores, I once saw a used one for $15 CAD at EB Games.