PDA

View Full Version : PSO vs PS0 Question

jellitoe
Jan 7, 2009, 12:44 PM
1. Are there section ID's?

2. Do names determine your character section ID?

3. Do section ID determine you rares available to your character?

4. Do lvl4 rare mags that require special feeding patterns exist like in PSO or do all mags get to level 4 in this one exp Rukmin, Nidra, ect.

5. Does the game even compare so far to the PSO experience?

Aqualic-EX
Jan 7, 2009, 12:51 PM
1. Are there section ID's?
Unfortunately, no.

2. Do names determine your character section ID?
There are no section IDs, so no. On top of that, your name can be changed however many times you want.

3. Do section ID determine you rares available to your character?
Once more, no.

4. Do lvl4 rare mags that require special feeding patterns exist like in PSO or do all mags get to level 4 in this one exp Rukmin, Nidra, ect.
Yes. Depending on stats and certain levels your mag has various option for ''evolution''. I suggest you look it up in the Mag Feeding Guide also found in this forums.

5. Does the game even compare so far to the PSO experience?
It does and it doesn't. ''Veterans'' enjoy the game, and they hate the game. Personal taste plays a BIG role here, but the main difference between the PSO experience and the PSZ experience is the limited amount of options on character creation. Real ''Die Hard'' fans might also be a tad disappointed (like me) that the game only has 3 difficulty modes, and none includes ''mutated monsters'' as the old PSO ep 1&2 did on Ultimate difficulty. for the rest it has all the ''standard limits'' for being an handheld game, instead of being played on a console.

I hope these answers help =3

jellitoe
Jan 7, 2009, 12:56 PM
It did, Thanks. I little disapointed I guess, But I am still antsy to get it.

Amherst_Wind
Jan 7, 2009, 01:23 PM
I think the problem is people wanted this to be PSO, but we already have a PSO game... PSO! I think PS Zero is a fine Phantasy Star game, sure it has aspects that are worse than PSO but it also has aspects that are much better. I love it (which is more than I can say for PSU).

jellitoe
Jan 7, 2009, 01:40 PM
Actually I am glad they did away with the Section ID's, I did not like that alot of the good weapons for my class were not available to my character becuase of the name I choose. But becuase times have passed I expected a better game than PSO, just that it have some of the elements that made PSO great. What I am really looking foward is to the online experience that PSO gave, the community, was fun and great. I kinda am hoping that at least that part is fun.
Still tho, PSO was hard to let go, great game.

xSHiNOx
Jan 7, 2009, 01:42 PM
actually, changing your name thing, you cant change your character's name as many times as you want. only your display name for wifi with friends.

parabolee
Jan 7, 2009, 02:53 PM
actually, changing your name thing, you cant change your character's name as many times as you want. only your display name for wifi with friends.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can change you characters name as many times as you want.

Just go to the customise character option after you select your character. Once you have made any or no changes to your outfit/hair etc you can change your name :)

Callous
Jan 7, 2009, 03:31 PM
What I am really looking foward is to the online experience that PSO gave, the community, was fun and great.
You'll be sorely disappointed there. The PSZ online experience doesn't come anywhere even remotely close to that of PSO.

Flamingo99
Jan 8, 2009, 02:07 AM
I'm just happy its no where near as close to being PSU...

I love PSO to death, and I'm pretty happy with the game. I mean... its on a DS, which isn't the most powerful system out there, so some things simply couldn't be included. I'm hoping there will be a PS0-2 released on the Wii or DS again though... hopefully they could fit some more content with these new 2GB DS carts I've heard about :)

Callous
Jan 8, 2009, 04:56 AM
I'm pretty happy with it, too. If this game was put on for example Wii and had the graphics fully fleshed out with the power of that system, some elevation put into the terrain, som lobbies and better ability to make shortcuts, I think most people would accept this as PSO2 and be in heaven.

jellitoe
Jan 8, 2009, 09:08 AM
Still tho, the fact that now you can take PSO were ever you go (it rhymes :D) is what makes it so apealing on the DS. Slow day at work, "hey I know, I level up my dude". So loss in graphice and other things we can live with. What made PSO so atractive in my opinion, was that you could become your character. It was what ever you earned, your design, and everyone was pretty much although not completely different. That what made the online apealing. Things like hanging in the lobbies. Playing soccer. And once in a while going to do deep runs in the ruins with your boys. (Shout out to Sodaboy, Maridia, Jin, ect..) Being able to change your name, that should be a no-no. I wonder why they added that feature.

parabolee
Jan 8, 2009, 09:14 AM
You'll be sorely disappointed there. The PSZ online experience doesn't come anywhere even remotely close to that of PSO.

I strongly disagree, if you use the IRC channel we have, the online is very close to the PSO experience. With the IRC Channel standing in as the lobby.

jellitoe
Jan 8, 2009, 09:56 AM
This question is out of subject, but what character can use the guns blades? Only Rangers or can hunters? Also are mech guns back, that was my second favorite weapon in PSO.

Aqualic-EX
Jan 8, 2009, 10:11 AM
but what character can use the guns blades? Only Rangers or can hunters?

Depends on the weapon itself. Some are ranger exclusive, while others are available to all classes, or a mix of classes.

Also are mech guns back, that was my second favorite weapon in PSO.

Be overjoyed once more, for they are. =] While some Mechguns are ranger exclusive, most can be wielded by any class! =]

Disastorm
Jan 8, 2009, 10:42 AM
I strongly disagree, if you use the IRC channel we have, the online is very close to the PSO experience. With the IRC Channel standing in as the lobby.

Not really, the oriignal pso used to have thousands of people online. the irc channel has like 30. Now if the irc channel had thousands of people, id agree with you.

also for anyone thats wondering, another difference is that theres Newman Hunters now... they are kind of a hybrid of all 3 classes I think since they can use a few of the Ranger only weapons and Force only weapons in addition to the hunter weapons.

Kent
Jan 8, 2009, 11:01 AM
I think the problem is people wanted this to be PSO, but we already have a PSO game... PSO!

There is a specific reason, after all, that people want a new PSO.

Mostly the fact that PSO was great, despite how flawed it was when it first started... And the other part being that the game is something around eight years old now, and everyone who loves it has played the hell out of every possible aspect of the game. It really says something when people can be playing the same game, with a relatively small amount of functional new content updates (compared to most online RPGs of any sort), for seven years before they start to get bored of it.

People wanted a new Phantasy Star Online because it was great for what it was - they don't just want Phantasy Star Online again, though, because they've already got that. If you differ too far from what the original was, however, you'll alienate your fanbase... And in extreme cases like Phantasy Star Universe, you'll have your former fans cursing your name every chance they get, since feeling wronged by that abomination.

Not really, the oriignal pso used to have thousands of people online. the irc channel has like 30. Now if the irc channel had thousands of people, id agree with you.
Lobbies could only have, what, 15 people at once in each of them? They were pretty restrictive of how many people could be in each lobby, but of course, each block and numerious lobbies, and each ship had numerous blocks.

And no, a simple IRC channel won't replace the lobbies... Mostly due to the fact that they aren't part of the game itself, and requires that you be operating a completely separate device in order to communicate.

Amherst_Wind
Jan 8, 2009, 11:25 AM
People wanted a new Phantasy Star Online because it was great for what it was - they don't just want Phantasy Star Online again, though, because they've already got that. If you differ too far from what the original was, however, you'll alienate your fanbase... And in extreme cases like Phantasy Star Universe, you'll have your former fans cursing your name every chance they get, since feeling wronged by that abomination.

Now dont get me wrong, I love PSO and I'd love for another PS online game that captures PSO's spirit and while I admit PS Zero doesnt quite do it, it does a lot of things right for me. The problem occurs as you stated above, its hard enough for most things to live up to their originals but when its something thats as amazing as PSO was then its almost impossible. Then nostalgia plays a part and you'll get people who's rose tinted eyes wont accept that a new game is as good as they remember the old game was. Summary: For some people there will never be a game as good as PSO, no matter how long they wait. The rest of us should just enjoy the new PS games.

jellitoe
Jan 8, 2009, 01:11 PM
well, we will know soon enough when the US release is releassed and most of us that are waiting begin playing and forming guilds and what not to make the PS-Zero community grow. As a former PSO old-dog your problably right, there will not be another PSO. Too many fun memories, Bad memories (Fsod) and hell all the guild drama that occured LOL - Ultima Force - LOL. But it was great while it lasted.

Callous
Jan 8, 2009, 02:43 PM
I strongly disagree. IRC or not. This doesn't come close to PSO. You can't even make random friends from matchup games. People in the IRC channel seem to be mostly idling anyway. They are sure as hell not online in PSZ most of the time. In PSO, if people are in the lobby, it's because they are playing PSO.

.. and various other differences.

parabolee
Jan 8, 2009, 03:02 PM
I strongly disagree. IRC or not. This doesn't come close to PSO. You can't even make random friends from matchup games. People in the IRC channel seem to be mostly idling anyway. They are sure as hell not online in PSZ most of the time. In PSO, if people are in the lobby, it's because they are playing PSO.

.. and various other differences.

Obviously I have more luck than you. Maybe it's your time zone or the times you play, I go on around 7pm - 11pm EST, and there always seems to be people looking for a game.

And I am not arguing that PSZ is as good as PSO in the online area. However I am disagreeing with the statement that PSZ "doesn't come anywhere even remotely close to that of PSO.".

When you are in a game with friends in PDZ, it comes DAMN close. IMHO it's just as good.

The only thing it doesn't come remotely close to is the lobby system, because it doesn't have one. And if we were allowed to communicate freely with random match up players then it be damn close too. Unfortunately Nintendo suck when it comes to online and forced Sega to gimp these areas, but I think the IRC works really well as a replacement.

But even if you think the IRC fails right now because of a lack of people, remember we are still playing the Japanese version. Just wait for the US release, I'm sure the PSO-World community will be strong enough to make that IRC work really well.

And when you enter the IRC room, sometimes people are playing. Post a message to see if anyone is going to be done soon and looking for another game. Like I say, I don't seem to have many problems getting games.

Shiroyu
Jan 8, 2009, 03:14 PM
Are people complaining about how Zero's online experience isn't as good as PSO's?

...Really?

Also,

also for anyone thats wondering, another difference is that theres Newman Hunters now...

HUnewearls have existed since the first release of PSO. <_< That's pretty much like saying that there are human hunters now too.

Amherst_Wind
Jan 8, 2009, 03:30 PM
I wouldnt blame anyone for not noticing about newman hunters, they seem so different in this game. They're... classier, or at least they dress it. Yep, its left to the HUmarls to show some boob now.

BioWarrior
Jan 8, 2009, 04:57 PM
It's hard to see it on the DS but the HUnewearls costumes still show off quite a bit of skin. I only noticed this when playing with the skin colors

Aumi
Jan 8, 2009, 05:52 PM
If you ask me the game has much of a PSO-like atmosphere to it. While it's not as indepth and there's a lot of things which I miss from PSO. I actually gotta say that I like the battle system better. It's still PSO-like, but faster and more fluid. One of the main reasons for this are the dodge moves with make for a great tactical factor. I also love how PAs are implemented into the game as charge attacks.
Like someone here on the forums said before, this is what PSU should've been. If this were to go to the PC, there could be so many additions made. Really hope they're gonna make a console/PC Phantasy Star that's more like PSŲ sometime in the future.

Conclusion: Even with the technical limitations of a DS game, this title is great. I hope the English version get's nominated for DS GOTY.

Callous
Jan 8, 2009, 06:25 PM
If they are playing, then they're not PSOW people cause no one shows up in the list and I've got everyone on there.

As far as IRC goes, it's great that you guys took that initiative and it IS an improvement, but as someone else pointed out, there's a world of difference between a fully fledged in-game experience and having to turn on a PC and operate two devices at the same time - one of them not being integral to the game world. Not everyone has their PC on all the time and want to sit near it. I'll often lie on my bed playing and if I have to go through teh trouble of turning on the PC first, unpluggin various external devices and god knows what else .. well let's just say it's not very convenient. I'm others have similar .. predicaments.

Anyway, I hope you're aware that I'm not trying to belittle the IRC channel, it's absolutely better than nothing, but I stick by my opinion that the online experience of PSZ isn't even remotely close to that of PSO.

If this were to go to the PC, there could be so many additions made. Really hope they're gonna make a console/PC Phantasy Star that's more like PSŲ sometime in the future.

Conclusion: Even with the technical limitations of a DS game, this title is great. I hope the English version get's nominated for DS GOTY.
I gotta say I fully agree with both of those sentiments.