PDA

View Full Version : How do you kill that f'king octopus in the story mode?

the_importer_
Jan 7, 2009, 09:39 PM
Seriously, my force keeps getting her ass kicked. Don't tell me Lv5 is not good enough to kill it?

BBonez
Jan 7, 2009, 09:44 PM
It wouldn't hurt to level some I suppose. Use Fire against the boss because he's weak against it. First form attack the middle of the tentacles and dodge his easy attacks. When he sucks in to shoot the ink or whatever, roll just before he lets loose to dodge. Second form I usually stick to one of the tentacles and hurt it until he can't use it anymore. His attacks are somewhat tricky but you should be able to get his pattern down. When his tentacles go into the water, run as far as you can away from the boss because if he sucks you in, it'll hurt a lot. I hope this helps ><

Amherst_Wind
Jan 7, 2009, 09:54 PM
I was gonna say "Dear God Lv5!?!" but then I realised you must be a Newman so he is your first boss... Newmans kinda get screwed, that Octopus is a pain especially his spin attack, it decimated me when I fought him. All I did was grind until he was easy, the unfortunate but true answer to most RPG boss problems. There is a tiny hint, if he ever sucks you in his mouth, you can still open the menu and use items. :)

the_importer_
Jan 7, 2009, 10:03 PM
It wouldn't hurt to level some I suppose. Use Fire against the boss because he's weak against it. First form attack the middle of the tentacles and dodge his easy attacks. When he sucks in to shoot the ink or whatever, roll just before he lets loose to dodge. Second form I usually stick to one of the tentacles and hurt it until he can't use it anymore. His attacks are somewhat tricky but you should be able to get his pattern down. When his tentacles go into the water, run as far as you can away from the boss because if he sucks you in, it'll hurt a lot. I hope this helps ><

Ah, so he will stop using his tentacles after hitting them enough. I get to his 2nd form after like 5 minutes of dodging and hitting in his first one, but I'm usually boned after that :(

My Foie is only Lv1, so it doesn't do that much damage compared to my Lv3 Zonde.

I was gonna say "Dear God Lv5!?!" but then I realised you must be a Newman so he is your first boss... Newmans kinda get screwed, that Octopus is a pain especially his spin attack, it decimated me when I fought him. All I did was grind until he was easy, the unfortunate but true answer to most RPG boss problems. There is a tiny hint, if he ever sucks you in his mouth, you can still open the menu and use items. :)

Indeed, FOnewearl, been using her since V2. Guess I'll keep grinding up to level 10 just I use to do for the Dragon in PSO when I played solo. So I can use the menu when I'm getting chewed, good to know :P

EDIT: It's DEAD !!! I killed the SOB at Lv5 :)
I decided to keep my PP in the first battle only for healing my NPC party and used Foie on it's tentacles in the 2nd battle and keeping my distances. Worked like a charmed. I leveled up to 6 and raised my Mag at Level 10. Now what to do with these 5 PDs?

SammaeltheDark
Jan 8, 2009, 12:04 PM
I hate that f'ing octopus soooo much. Even if you are a Hunter, the lock-on in PSZ is so shoddy that you wiff on the tentacles in the first part anyhow. The second part is just pure pain, but at least you can do some damage at that point

Now what to do with these 5 PDs?
Save up for teh rarez

the_importer_
Jan 8, 2009, 12:47 PM
I hate that f'ing octopus soooo much. Even if you are a Hunter, the lock-on in PSZ is so shoddy that you wiff on the tentacles in the first part anyhow. The second part is just pure pain, but at least you can do some damage at that point

Save up for teh rarez

Rarez?!

BBonez
Jan 8, 2009, 05:54 PM
Good to hear you beat the octopus! Save the photon drops, later you can buy scape dolls and materials with photon drops. I usually just buy materials xD

the_importer_
Jan 8, 2009, 06:02 PM
Good to hear you beat the octopus! Save the photon drops, later you can buy scape dolls and materials with photon drops. I usually just buy materials xD

Scape Dolls 0_o ?!?!

Are these things valuable enough for PDs?!?!

BBonez
Jan 8, 2009, 06:05 PM
Not really, Scape Dolls are actually pretty common and you can carry a maximum of 3. Dolls and Materials are 5 PD's each but I just stick to buying materials xD

Nowhere
Jan 8, 2009, 07:39 PM
I'm not so sure. There's not a whole lot worth buying with PDs. But then scape dolls aren't as good as they used to be since they revive you after death instead of preventing it. But are mission rewards even ranked? I haven't really checked for that.

SammaeltheDark
Jan 8, 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm not so sure. There's not a whole lot worth buying with PDs. But then scape dolls aren't as good as they used to be since they revive you after death instead of preventing it. But are mission rewards even ranked? I haven't really checked for that.
Mission ranking is a PSU idea, so I figure it's just like PSO and deaths don't negatively impact your rewards
But it does suck to die and have to run all the way back to where you were or have to start a boss fight over

I mainly use PDs for Materials, new Mags, & Elements. Oh, and you get a few titles for spending PDs

the_importer_
Jan 8, 2009, 07:57 PM
Mission ranking is a PSU idea, so I figure it's just like PSO and deaths don't negatively impact your rewards
But it does suck to die and have to run all the way back to where you were or have to start a boss fight over

I mainly use PDs for Materials, new Mags, & Elements. Oh, and you get a few titles for spending PDs

Do you loose EXP when you die like in PSOBB? I mean what's the punishment for dying in this game? Is wasting your mates and/or PP to heal yourself the only punishment?

SammaeltheDark
Jan 8, 2009, 08:03 PM
Do you loose EXP when you die like in PSOBB? I mean what's the punishment for dying in this game? Is wasting your mates and/or PP to heal yourself the only punishment?
I never looked at my xp to see if there's any penalty.. pretty much it just looks like you come back at 1 HP and your Mag's synch drops by 10
You don't even drop your money anymore

the_importer_
Jan 8, 2009, 08:11 PM
I never looked at my xp to see if there's any penalty.. pretty much it just looks like you come back at 1 HP and your Mag's synch drops by 10
You don't even drop your money anymore

You didn't even drop your cash in PSOBB, the EXP drop was the new punishment.

Aki_Yoruno
Jan 8, 2009, 10:51 PM
Hmm, gone way off topic. Anyway, did you know when the octopus spins you can just run to the outer edge and not get hit? Also, you don't have to dodge when he spits out ink. When he starts sucking (on 1st stage) start running to the side AND toward your screen (the outside). Then he'll stop sucking and you can just run to the side and avoid the ink completely.

As for techs, I did find it effective to use Foie on his tentacles during the first stage, but seemed like Zonde was more effective on his head during second. I didn't go after his tentacles then cuz they were all over the freaking place... Just grinned and bore the second form, blasting away with Zonde. :/

the_importer_
Jan 9, 2009, 07:06 AM
Hmm, gone way off topic. Anyway, did you know when the octopus spins you can just run to the outer edge and not get hit? Also, you don't have to dodge when he spits out ink. When he starts sucking (on 1st stage) start running to the side AND toward your screen (the outside). Then he'll stop sucking and you can just run to the side and avoid the ink completely.

As for techs, I did find it effective to use Foie on his tentacles during the first stage, but seemed like Zonde was more effective on his head during second. I didn't go after his tentacles then cuz they were all over the freaking place... Just grinned and bore the second form, blasting away with Zonde. :/

It's my topic and I'll change it if I want to, change if I want to, change if I want to....

Aki_Yoruno
Jan 10, 2009, 01:36 AM
Wow, that's an old song. >.> And touche.

the_importer_
Jan 10, 2009, 09:26 AM
Wow, that's an old song. >.> And touche.

Well it's before my time that's for sure, but odds are, I'm closer to that era than most people here :P