PDA

View Full Version : FOmar vs. FOnewm

_Vyser_
Jan 10, 2009, 12:20 AM
I'm going to make a techer class, and I'm curious which you think would be the best. I was leaning towards FOnewm for pure teching power, but a few topics mention that FOmar is quite good. Are there any basic stat charts for this game yet? Thanks.

BioWarrior
Jan 10, 2009, 12:22 AM
I'm going to make a techer class, and I'm curious which you think would be the best. I was leaning towards FOnewm for pure teching power, but a few topics mention that FOmar is quite good. Are there any basic stat charts for this game yet? Thanks.

There's a chart floating around somewhere in this forum a few pages back. Both play rather nice though as techs in general are strong in the highest difficulty

_Vyser_
Jan 10, 2009, 12:36 AM
Ah found the chart, thanks. Interesting how a FOmar has better stats than a FOnewm. Do FOnewm have some hidden abilities to make up for the lower stats? If not, looks like I'm going FOmar :O

BioWarrior
Jan 10, 2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not sure... It's possible since it designed to be like PSO. I know FOmarl gets a boost to resta and both newmans get PP regen. But you can get units for the PP regen to restore up to 5PP every 3-5 seconds

_Vyser_
Jan 10, 2009, 12:44 AM
Alright, thanks for all your help.

Shiroyu
Jan 10, 2009, 12:49 AM
Out of the forces, the FOnewm is kinda the weakest. They have the lowest PP and hit, and second-lowest HP, power, guard, and swift.

In my spare time I made a quick comparison thingy, ranking each class's stats at level 100 with the other forces.

4 3 2 1 HP
2 4 1 3 PP
4 3 2 1 Power
4 3 2 1 Guard
3 4 1 2 Hit
1 3 2 4 Swift
1 2 3 4 Mind
(They go by FOmar, FOmarl, FOnewm, and FOnewearl)

Then I made the average rank of each one.
FOmar: 2.71
FOmarl: 3.14
FOnewm: 1.85
FOnewearl: 2.28

The newmen do get the PP recovery though, which is pretty sweet, but that can easily be remedied with a PP recovery unit. (And yes, I made comparison charts for hunters and rangers too... also one comparing hunters, rangers, and forces. HUnewms and HUnewearls actually tied for first.)

Edit: Also, a bunch of posts appeared as I was typing this. <_<

Something I forgot, I heard that each force gets a bonus to certain spells, like FOmarl gets an enhanced range with resta and anti, FOnewearls with s/d and j/z, but I'm not sure what FOmars or FOnewearls get.

Kent
Jan 10, 2009, 01:05 AM
Something I forgot, I heard that each force gets a bonus to certain spells, like FOmarl gets an enhanced range with resta and anti, FOnewearls with s/d and j/z, but I'm not sure what FOmars or FOnewearls get.
I'm really curious to hear more about this.

If it stems from what ended up happening in PSO, FOmars would get a bonus to the support techniques you listed for the FOnewearl...

Which made sense at the time, being that FOmars in the days of PSO were very well-designed around the idea of being a sort of "battlemage" - they got the range bonus to support techniques, and then the damage bonus to the mid-level (Gi-) techniques, which worked out really well. However, being that there aren't really "mid-level" techniques any more, it's hard to say a logically-defined estimate to which, if any, attack techniques would be a good guess to which they'd get a boost.

Unless they get a boost to the charged versions of the light and dark spells, which, according to what I've read, have the Gi- prefix.

Ultie
Jan 10, 2009, 10:02 AM
my fomar's s/d can fill an entire room in range, not sure if its because there capped at 15 or not but there definatly smaller range than my 15 j/z so i think fomar gets s/d boost. fomar allso gets 100 mats instead of the newman's 80.
my fomar's ppregen lvl5 is not as good as a fonewman's pp regen.

I can't really compare tho since the only fo i have is a fomar (with 100hp mats on it x3)

SolRiver
Jan 12, 2009, 05:21 PM
Going by JP ps0 wiki, male force attack tech are 120% and normal support. Female force attack tech are normal and heal + support tech effectiveness increased.

Not very sure what this "effectiveness" is exactly.

xSHiNOx
Jan 12, 2009, 05:29 PM
it means it heals more with resta and the support like shifta probably adds more?

Kupi
Jan 13, 2009, 08:09 PM
About the ranking exercise... I'd point out that a simple ranking system like that can obscure the effective difference between ranks. If the FOnewm is a single point of MST below the FOnewearl, but 100 above the FOmar, he still gets ranked second in casting ability. A linear ranking system is hardly ideal, I think.

Zarode
Jan 13, 2009, 10:52 PM
What.

I have a FOnewm, and he hits just fine. :T Hits better than most people I play with. Also, PP recovery units stack with natural PP regen. It's like having unlimited PP, almost all the time.

Callous
Jan 19, 2009, 08:49 AM
I have a FOnewm and a FOmar at the exact same level (21). Playing the exact same area with both of them, the FOmar lands 90% of his hits and the FOnewm maybe 50%.

The FOnewm is utterly useless in hand to hand. What's worse is, he doesn't seem to have anything going for him at all apart from being one of the best looking characters in the game.

_Vyser_
Jan 19, 2009, 01:16 PM
I tried making a FOmar, and I really liked the look of him. I got annoyed with constantly using fluids just to tech, so I made a FOnewm. Even with just a level 2 pp regen (just found a level 3, but I haven't used it with him yet), I found FOnewm more enjoyable than FOmar because I could just tech spam and I have yet to use a fluid. I slightly liked the looks of FOmar better, and the really good stats were nice, but I'm absolutely loving the pp regen that newmans get. Perhaps I'll make a FOmar when the English version comes out (and with the hope that trading isn't region locked <_<; )

Zarode
Jan 19, 2009, 01:39 PM
What's worse is, he doesn't seem to have anything going for him at all apart from being one of the best looking characters in the game.

Gee, it's like, using magic on a magic character is useless. At least he looks pimp as hell.

_Vyser_
Jan 19, 2009, 01:44 PM
Lol Zarode, I'm thinking we might be the few FOnewm supporters currently...

Zarode
Jan 19, 2009, 01:46 PM
My pimp hand glows with an awesome power.

Shiroyu
Jan 19, 2009, 02:10 PM
I still don't get why FOnewms are usually always pimps and FOnewearls are usually always lolis.

_Vyser_
Jan 19, 2009, 02:15 PM
My pimp hand glows with an awesome power.

Its burning grip tells me to defeat you!

DeathMachine
Jan 20, 2009, 12:44 AM
Its burning grip tells me to defeat you!

Shining B**** Slap!!

Callous
Jan 20, 2009, 07:37 AM
Gee, it's like, using magic on a magic character is useless. At least he looks pimp as hell.
My point is that when he's so utterly useless in everything else, Sega could at least have balanced this out by making him the strongest magic user or giving him some kind of great % boost in something. But they didn't. Tech damage is more or less the same as for my FOmar.

That said, I may end up playing the FOnewm simply because, unlike the FOmar, he doesn't look like a little kid who's wearing his dad's cotton coat and playing Harry Potter.

_Vyser_
Jan 20, 2009, 11:44 AM
That said, I may end up playing the FOnewm simply because, unlike the FOmar, he doesn't look like a little kid who's wearing his dad's cotton coat and playing Harry Potter.

Although I'm a FOnewm supporter, I'll admit this is a pretty awesome description.

Akaimizu
Jan 20, 2009, 01:30 PM
I definitely wouldn't have thought of that description, that way. The top-hat, coat, and staff look isn't really Harry Potter. I would've given it to a whole host of stories around the 18th-19th century. There's just something so victorian about it.

Zarode
Jan 20, 2009, 02:34 PM
There's just something so victorian about it.

The Japanese eat that crap up like it's nothing. :disapprove:

DeathMachine
Jan 20, 2009, 11:41 PM
I thought that the FOmar had the least change from his PSO look. They just changed the era of his robe, and that wasn't all that big of a deal. The same hat and robe with a more 19th century look instead of a 23rd.