PDA

View Full Version : Shimmering Text Issue/Xfire and Vista

Neith
Jan 11, 2009, 07:21 PM
Ok, I have two problems regarding PSU that I wonder if anyone can help with:

1) Recently I got a new PC, and installed the new Graphics Card. Whenever I play PSU, the small text (the text for character name, the text above my character's head, and the names of PAs at the bottom right of the screen) is extremely grainy/shimmering, rather than smoothed out. No other text seems affected.

I have seen the other thread(s) on this, and have tried running PSU with Anisotropic Filtering set to anything but 'Application Controlled', but the grainy text still persists. My video card is an EVGA Geforce 9800GTX+, and I'm running Vista Home Premium.

Anyone have any other ideas for how I can fix this? A friend also has the issue (with another Geforce, but I forget which model).

2) Xfire (the instant messaging/chat room program for games) doesn't seem to work in-game with PSU AoI. With XP, I had to modify the xfire_games.ini file with a fixed piece of code (since the standard code didn't work and refused to open Xfire in-game on PSU). However, with Vista I can't get the in-game windows of Xfire working even with the code alterations. Has anyone managed to get Xfire In-Game working with PSU AoI, while using Vista? Again, if anyone has an idea, let me know.

Thanks.

tirith
Jan 12, 2009, 08:01 AM
try opening xfire before psu... that's the only way i can use skype and psu at the same time, i've heard gameguard blocks certain kinds of apps from running and skype seems to be one of em, maybe xfire is too.

i'm running the same vid card on my soon to be ex-vista64 system, no problems with text, but for some reason ALL my games freeze the computer randomly, though some drivers cause it to shut down instead of freeze... might try diff vid drivers for yours, but if you aren't crashing keep the install file for your current one.

Neith
Jan 12, 2009, 02:30 PM
I've tried the most recent driver for my vid card, and the text still shimmers. I'll have to check if there's any more drivers available for the card.

In regards to Xfire, I've always opened Xfire before PSU. PSU AoI is meant to be supported fully by Xfire, but a patch a while ago messed up the code that displays Xfire-In-Game on PSU, and ever since then I've had to use an edited xfire_games.ini file to get PSU working with Xfire fully. That worked fine with XP, but doesn't appear to work with Vista. I've even tried running both PSU and Xfire with 'Run as Administrator', but I didn't get any difference.