PDA

View Full Version : Know What You're Talking About

Kylie
Jan 12, 2009, 02:14 PM
I don't really talk to my real life friends about stuff that I like. A lot of them don't know I play PSU, and most of them don't know about video games in general. So it's a little strange to me when I'm looking at a game at GameStop, and some random stranger comes up to me and asks me what I'm looking at. To make matters worse, I tell him, and he acts like he knows everything about it, when he doesn't at all. "Ah, Resident Evil? Alice is so cool in that game." o_O OK. Alice isn't in any of the games, so I died a little inside. :lol:

I was also annoyed the other night when I overheard a group of people talking about how awesome Degeneration (Resident Evil CG film) was. I don't remember exactly what they said, but it was completely off. :-P That wasn't as bad as the guy at GameStop though because I actually think he was trying to impress me or something, and the group of people probably didn't know or care if I overheard them... It just bugs me when people claim to be fans of something and don't really know much about it.

PIT
Jan 12, 2009, 02:24 PM
That's actually quite usual stuff. I like it when people say that video games make people agressive.

Personally I like to kick butts on the screen, so that I can be rested and chilled enough not to get agressive in real life.

What can I say, it's human nature, people will always try to look smart even if they don't know how to pronounce the thing they're talking about.

Kylie
Jan 12, 2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, the sad thing is that it is usual. I have tons of other stories, but this is just what happened over the past week.

Outrider
Jan 12, 2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, sometimes I'm a jerk in games stores and I correct the employee when he or she is talking games.

I do it a lot less nowadays; I pretty much just do it around the holidays when there are lots of parents doing their holiday shopping and they've just been told that they need Accessory X to play Game Y or whatever.

When I was a teenager, though... man, I used to enjoy it quite a bit.

PS - I saw Degeneration this weekend. It was... slightly more enjoyable than it could have been? Also, they apparently replaced Leon with an angry, scowling robot.

CelestialBlade
Jan 12, 2009, 03:20 PM
Clearly the guy couldn't resist your hawtness and was making some sad attempt at a pass at you XD "Ooh, gamer chick! Must impress her with my AWESOME VIDEO GAME KNOWLEDGE!!!1"

Shadowpawn
Jan 12, 2009, 03:26 PM
Clearly the guy couldn't resist your hawtness and was making some sad attempt at a pass at you XD "Ooh, gamer chick! Must impress her with my AWESOME VIDEO GAME KNOWLEDGE!!!1"

That's exactly what I was thinking.

CupOfCoffee
Jan 12, 2009, 03:29 PM
I know what you mean, Kylie. I have a similar story about WoW that might be lost on all but a few Rants regulars, but here goes.

Last semester in one of my classes, I met this guy who was very vocal about his Warcraft fandom. One day, I made the mistake of laughing at one of his WoW related jokes, which made his eyes light up in recognition. He was like, "YOU PLAY WARCRAFT?!?!?!??" and not wanting to just flat out lie to the guy, I kind of mumbled, "Oh, yeah... um... yep, got a priest. You?" And that was it. He had found his target and decided that it was time to lay all of his grievances on me including rogues, battleground queues, how there's no something-something trainer in the night elf city, epic mount cost, and an assortment of other not-awesome conversation topics. But the more he talked, the more it became apparent that he had no freakin' clue what he was going on about. He asked if I was getting the Lich King expansion and I said no, but commented that it would be fun entering the new expansion zones for the first time on a PVP server where it would be an unending bloodbath for about a week. He said, "Yeah, I think I'm gonna put all my talent points into Discipline and OWN A BUNCH OF NOOBS!" and then various other one-liners that made it way too clear that he hadn't ever reached the level cap or experienced any of the endgame content, which is basically the meat and potatoes of what everyone does in WoW. Then he started trying to give me PVP advice, very loudly, and then got angry when I tried to explain to him why none of what he was saying was really making sense.

Let's just say I'm glad that class is over

MetaZedlen
Jan 12, 2009, 08:11 PM
Heh, I know what you're saying there Kylie, but it is NOWHERE near as bad as when you get the one idiot that thinks he knows everything about the game when he played it ONCE for like 10 minutes, and tries to correct YOU over something that you have done or read and know for a fact that it is right (for example: in PSO the weapon is called Chain SAWD, and I had one person [don't even remember who it was] get pissed at me for calling it BY ITS NAME...)

People are just stupid, and when they try to sound impressive or smart, it just takes more away from the excuse of an IQ they had already...

McLaughlin
Jan 12, 2009, 08:21 PM
Midicronica and I hang out with a guy who will attempt to correct whatever you're saying, and then when proven wrong will get into a circular argument from which the only escape is submission.

It's quite irritating.

Rust
Jan 12, 2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, video games knowledge has became serious business nowadays.
Owning only a quite outdated laptop, a Nintendo DS and a Wii as my only gaming systems, I must admit it's been awhile I haven't kept track of many released games and such (for example, I didn't even know what Little Big Planet 'till its release date), and among the ones I know, I could tell barely more about them than the fact they look interesting enough for me to make me want to play them.

I then shut the fuck up about things I don't know a crap about. There is some games I never played for which I know random stuff after having seen a friend playing a bit of it or visited dedicated websites (such really random stuff as : The Necromorphs in Dead Space must be dismembered and not decapitated to be effectively killed ; mechanics of SH5 battle system ; there is a brahmin outside a city in Fallout 3, don't know the location name though, which still have health when you shoot at it with a nuclear missile-like weapon), or even some I know quite much about it, like WoW, without having ever touching it, because I have (annoying) people around me completely addicted to said games.

Though, on the few ones I play, I usually tend to "record" every little tidbit of it, even apparently useless pieces of informations. And as so, I hate it when I get told action X isn't possible as I described it on game Y because mr. knowitall right there is mildly certain about a vague recollection he got of said game, to which he played several years ago, when I just had touched it.

For example, I once was talking about the fact Metroid Prime series (at that moment only made of the first two episodes) had a very-well thought level design, and every thing was made so you couldn't get stuck anywhere because you had taken a path without having the right item for getting out of that path yet. Then a friend proceeded at denying that, even though I had went through the games many times and not so long ago for the last one, and acting like a pro, to a point it became really irritating ; until he told me to prove his point he was once stuck in a room where the only exits were doors you had to shoot with special beams in order to open them, and he was out of ammo with no storage boxes in the room.
Well, this one ended fairly well actually, I just proved him he only got stuck because he was stupid, since you can still have a regular shot of the special beams with no ammo if you charge them before shooting. He didn't believe me on that, at first, thinking I was making it up only because I didn't want to admit I was wrong. Then he started a game and learned something new about a game he supposedly knew so much about. :wacko:

(Nice tags on this thread, hahaha.)

biggabertha
Jan 13, 2009, 02:48 AM
I remember getting stuck like that in Metroid Prime 2, heh heh.

I also, used to be the enthusiastic guy that would do that kind of babbling. But I was 11 then...

Making up stuff's fun but I really wish I had started those sentences with: "I wish you could..." instead of saying you can do such and such in a game.

My best story, as always was when the store cleric was telling parents that the Nintendo DS Lite browser was going to work in their Nintendo DS tubby. To save the parents £30 (the store doesn't do exchanges or refunds on opened products), I told them that the DS Cart would fit into the DS Game slot but the RAM expansion pack would not fit into the DS tubby.

I managed to save the face of the shop cleric by saying that there was very small letters on the box, that there was a DS tubby version if you have a tubby console. The parents thanked me before looking back at the clerk. Being served by that clerk after those parents, was not the best time in my life though... Such a cold stare...

Syl
Jan 13, 2009, 07:16 AM
Used to know a guy who was like this with me for everything.

Back when I was trying to get into guitar sales for Guitar Center, I had to read up and keep up with merchandise (prices, parts, adjustments/upgrades, etc.) Lucky for me I used to hit up guitar shops at least once a week so I also got hands on experience on gear.

Well anyways this guy at lunch would always talk to me about guitars and act like he knew everything about them. Then I'd start talking about it as well (which I usually hated to do with this guy) and he'd just sit there pretending to know about it, sometimes saying "Blah blah is better because it's from blah."

So from time to time I'd just make up a guitar or a certain part and he'd act like he knew about it and how he got to try them out, when I just made them up on the spot >_>

Some of the other people used to do that to him with music too, he claimed to have heard any band we were talking about, but wouldn't be specific as to what his favorite stuff was from said band.

Vanzazikon
Jan 13, 2009, 12:44 PM
Rust, I can relate to you. :disapprove:

Yeah, I've outdated consoles as well; PS2, GC and outdated laptop. When people mention new releases, I get totally lost.

Spartan Law
Jan 13, 2009, 10:43 PM
I agree with this topic completely.

Unlike you guys though I can be err....very blunt if someone is talking out of their posterior and refuses to even accept the possibility of being wrong.

The most annoying of late was my younger brother who isn't the sharpest spork in the drawer lecturing me about Physics (I was at uni doing Aeronautical Engineering so my Physics is pretty good). He was insistent that a car with malfunctioning shock absorbers weighed more than one with new shock absorbers....... because shock absorbers make cars lighter.....:-?

I have in the past done what one of the previous posters by creating something completely fictitious and watch the person dig themselves into a hole but then I have the lack of care for liars to tell them what I think about them and their BS.

Didn't mean to sound too aggressive in this post its just that lying annoys me at the best of times but over trivial stuff that doesn't even matter and has no reason to be lied about....agh....WHY!!!

McLaughlin
Jan 14, 2009, 12:29 AM
You don't need physics to know that malfunctioning shock absorbers don't weigh any more or less than working shock absorbers. >_>

It's not that the person doesn't know what they're talking about, but simply that they refuse to acknowledge even the possibility that they're wrong (like the guy I know) that drives me insane.

Spartan Law
Jan 14, 2009, 01:20 AM
You don't need physics to know that malfunctioning shock absorbers don't weigh any more or less than working shock absorbers. >_>

It's not that the person doesn't know what they're talking about, but simply that they refuse to acknowledge even the possibility that they're wrong (like the guy I know) that drives me insane.

It is still Physics..its just so basic that you don't really consider it Physics. The only reason I said I knew any Physics was to highlight how ignorant he was being.

Sadly though if someone is that adamant they'll never admit to being wrong, ever. Best to just leave the topic or abandon them to their own ignorance. :-)