PDA

View Full Version : How does ATA work? Can Beasts use guns effectively?

robinhood
Jan 13, 2009, 07:30 PM
1. Do you have a better chance of hitting something with a gun the closer you are? Or does shooting land the same accuracy whether you're point blank or sniping from distance?

2. And on that note, can Beasts make good close to mid-range gunmen? Or does their ATA just suck for gun usage and they'd be better off leaving the shooting to Casts?

Thanks. I really appreciate all the answers you guys have given me. It's a very friendly community around here :)

xzidanex
Jan 13, 2009, 07:51 PM
For the most part, if you're playing a beast, and you are some form of ranger type class, the ATA for the class is more than enough to make up for beasts bad accuracy. So yeah, they make decent rangers still.

Tetsaru
Jan 13, 2009, 08:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that distance does NOT play a part in determining whether or not a bullet hits. The whole point of using guns in combat is to attack FROM A DISTANCE, lol. If I see someone using a ranged weapon other than a shotgun or crossbow against an enemy at point blank range, I will laugh at them and tell them to play a melee class. :3

And personally, I'd go with a Cast gunner, but Beasts are good too. A good friend of mine on PSU actually plays both, iirc.

robinhood
Jan 13, 2009, 09:05 PM
Well I'm just recalling my days of playing a HUcast in PSO and I would use both melee weapons and close-range mechguns. Would a Fighgunner best imitate that style of play?

Tetsaru
Jan 13, 2009, 09:43 PM
Well I'm just recalling my days of playing a HUcast in PSO and I would use both melee weapons and close-range mechguns. Would a Fighgunner best imitate that style of play?

Yes, I would say so, and both Casts and Beasts make excellent FI's. Since they are a hybrid class, Fighgunners have access to a wide variety of melee and gun weapons.

You might also try Fortefighter (FF) if you want to be more melee-oriented, but if you do, the only ranged weapon you'll be able to use is a handgun.

robinhood
Jan 14, 2009, 04:00 AM
Alright cool.

And does anyone else know for sure whether or not distance factors into the accuracy of your shots?

darkante
Jan 14, 2009, 04:08 AM
Alright cool.

And does anyone else know for sure whether or not distance factors into the accuracy of your shots?

Distance doesn´t matter at all, the most important thing to be able to hit targets effectively is to have a high leveled bullet art. There is no way around that.

Criss
Jan 14, 2009, 07:47 AM
The only thing factored in the accuracy is the difference between your character's ATA and the target's EVP.

And as far as beast gunners go, they are arguably the best class for the job, because they have more ATP than any other race, and the class itself has so much ATA that the beasts' low accuracy doesn't really matter. Plus they have higher HP, and nanoblasts can be useful against bullet-resistant enemies. I've been playing a beast GT for over two years, and accuracy never was an issue.

IsoDonk
Jan 14, 2009, 08:02 AM
There's a great post on this subject on dps.diadu.net:

http://dps.diadu.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36

amtalx
Jan 14, 2009, 10:41 AM
Beasts make fine gunners, but if you are really going to knit pick about the numbers, they are still in favor of Casts. There was a long period where players had a huge ATA advantage vs. the enemy EVP, which diminished the Cast ATA advantage to almost nothing. However, recently we have seen more competitive enemy levels with the last couple updates.

The bottom line is if you already have a Beast, it will make a fine gunner. But if you are starting from scratch, and want to have that fraction of a percent in statistical advantage, Cast is the 'better' choice. Also, SUV > Nano pretty much all the time.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 18, 2009, 08:08 PM
If it weren't for Paradi Cataract, Beast would beat Cast at fG and GM, so yeah, Beasts are fine using ranged attacks.

unicorn
Jan 18, 2009, 08:18 PM
If it weren't for Paradi Cataract, Beast would beat Cast at fG and GM, so yeah, Beasts are fine using ranged attacks.

This.

But I kinda prefer Nanoblast on ranged types.

XxAntMan215xX
Jan 18, 2009, 11:11 PM
beast GT/FG owns i tried that combo back on pc days i love it as well as my cast techer and my newman transer/FF but have fun with it just hittinh 0s with KS and its PP consumption makes me mad at times lol.

PSU Character Information
DivineTenken"Sojiro" 150 beast FF(20)-Fg(20)-WT(20)-FM(8)
Dark Hadou "Sakura" 100 Cast FT(20)-AT(13)-WT(20)-MF(2)
BoogiePop Phantom 22 Cast Protranser 3
Hikikomori-Neet 35 beast FG(20)-GT(20)-GM(2)

Find me AFK on neudaiz bridge.

BahnKnakyu
Jan 19, 2009, 11:57 PM
Beast GM actually works pretty decently. Because there's no race bonus, the difference in stats actually, well, make a difference. If you were going fortegunner, I would've said CAST, only because of the inherent racial bonus to fG that bridges the stat gap between beast and CAST.

I dunno, I really suggest you try both races and see which fits your style.

Conor
Jan 21, 2009, 04:49 PM
Personally, I think beasts make great gunners. I regularly play my Beast GT, in the beginning, it had crappy ATP and ATA, but once you get high enough, the GT ATA boost more than makes up for the beasts lack of ATA. Also the bullets determine a large amount. Once you get to the higher levels, bullets, the guns themselves, and your job class all make a huge impact on your ATA, not so much your race. Besides, if you think about it; if you hit, ATA is pointless, and MOST the time, you'll hit. It's not a big of deal as it sounds, Beasts make fantastic gunners.

robinhood
Jan 22, 2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! I've actually made a Beast and plan to probably become a Fighgunner.\

This also helped:

There's a great post on this subject on dps.diadu.net:

http://dps.diadu.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36

Suzuka Miyamoto
Jan 25, 2009, 05:19 PM
Best shooter

1.Cast
2.Newman
3.Human
4.beast

Best fighter

1.beast
2.cast
3.human
4. Newman (the worst fighters ever )

Best techers

1.newman
2.human
3.beast
4.cast ( the worst casters no mental abities )

Hiero_Glyph
Jan 25, 2009, 07:48 PM
Best shooter

1.Cast
2.Newman
3.Human
4.beast

Best fighter

1.beast
2.cast
3.human
4. Newman (the worst fighters ever )

Best techers

1.newman
2.human
3.beast
4.cast ( the worst casters no mental abities )

For best fighter, the CAST's SUV trumps the Beast's Nanoblast every time. Given that there is no racial bonus for the Master classes a CAST Fighmaster is superior to a Beast Fighmaster. A Beast Fortefighter is still better than a CAST Fortefighter due to the racial bonus and huge HP/ATP. So the question remains, is a Fighmaster superior to a Fortefighter?