PDA

View Full Version : Questions about using techs

PocketAsian
Jan 15, 2009, 12:43 PM
So...I just got the game two days ago and started a FOnewearl. I'm doing fine for the most part but I'm having issues on having access to all the buffs/debuffs without some kind of shortcut menu like PSO on the gamecube, which is what I've played for PSO.

So my question is, how are those who are playing PSŲ dealing with the lack of easy accessibility for techs?

the_importer_
Jan 15, 2009, 12:55 PM
So...I just got the game two days ago and started a FOnewearl. I'm doing fine for the most part but I'm having issues on having access to all the buffs/debuffs without some kind of shortcut menu like PSO on the gamecube, which is what I've played for PSO.

So my question is, how are those who are playing PSŲ dealing with the lack of easy accessibility for techs?

You think you have it bad? Last PSO I played was BB and I had 16 TECH shortcuts >_>

-I guess the good news is that by removing the mid techs and by merging the weak and strong, that you need less to worry about attack tech shortcuts.

-Also good is that the status effects seem to be temporary, so Anti is not that important anymore.

-The enemies are far weaker than in PSO (in Normal anyway), so J&Z have lost some importance.

-Oh ya and Ryuker is also gone.

-Don't let yourself being push by Hunters and Rangers, if they want S&D, just get them to stand in a corner, temporarily place S&D on your buttons, do your magic and put back your regular attacks on your buttons.

Resta should be you your main concern and the other 5 shortcuts, it's up to you. Forces seem to be able to Melee better than in PSO thanks to stronger Force weapons, so if you want to use Melee and use Techs, then you'll end up using Weak, Strong, Resta, Foie, Barta and Zonde.

PocketAsian
Jan 15, 2009, 01:24 PM
Well at the moment, I'm playing solo as I don't know anyone to play multiplayer with. As for the trash mobs, I'm fine without S&D and J&Z, but it's when I get to a boss with when I need to focus a little more on those techs.

I'm glad that they intergrated the attack spells into one for each element with how PSŲ is.

And an offtopic question since you're playing a FOnewearl: they upped the melee viability with FOnewearls huh? I was quite shocked that my Fonewearl was doing more damage meleeing then my RAmarl. Are wands and rods melee damage based on MST or something?

Zarode
Jan 15, 2009, 01:27 PM
Most likely, your pallete after a while is gonna look like mine.

Foie Dodge Resta, Deband Shifta Anti

Even in Super Hard, Foie hits like a truck, even if the monster is strong against it.

And an offtopic question since you're playing a FOnewearl: they upped the melee viability with FOnewearls huh? I was quite shocked that my Fonewearl was doing more damage meleeing then my RAmarl. Are wands and rods melee damage based on MST or something?

Yeah. Whenever you use a Rod or a Wand, MST is the melee attack power. Really helpful.

Amherst_Wind
Jan 15, 2009, 01:36 PM
Unless you're online and want to use it to revive people I also wouldnt worry too much about Anti.

Poison sticks around for a while but takes so little HP I hardly notice I have it on me.
Freeze... well you cant use techs when frozen so thats moot.
Stun, I actually think it would take longer for your finger to reach the Anti button than it would for Stun to vanish (seriously).
Confuse is a mild annoyance at worst.
Burn is the only status effect thats slightly bothersome.

I will say that I find J&Z much more useful on Hard mode and so I imagine also on Super Hard, on Normal its pointless but charging it to cast on a whole area of enemies is very useful and the damage reduction/increse is pretty noticable.

PocketAsian
Jan 15, 2009, 01:36 PM
Well right now I'm mostly doing melee due to the fact that I'm dealing more damage with that than me using my attack techs since they're still low level.

I'm pretty sure that at higher levels, when I have even more PP and higher level techs, I'll focus on them more than going into melee.

And I think it's pretty cool that damage with a wand or rod scales with MST instead of ATP.

Zarode
Jan 15, 2009, 01:38 PM
Considering lv15 J&Z gets the whole room, yeah, it would be pretty useful.

And I just like having anti around because the Japanese tend to die.

A lot. ;/

the_importer_
Jan 15, 2009, 01:42 PM
Unless you're online and want to use it to revive people I also wouldnt worry too much about Anti.

Poison sticks around for a while but takes so little HP I hardly notice I have it on me.
Freeze... well you cant use techs when frozen so thats moot.
Stun, I actually think it would take longer for your finger to reach the Anti button than it would for Stun to vanish (seriously).
Confuse is a mild annoyance at worst.
Burn is the only status effect thats slightly bothersome.

I will say that I find J&Z much more useful on Hard mode and so I imagine also on Super Hard, on Normal its pointless but charging it to cast on a whole area of enemies is very useful and the damage reduction/increse is pretty noticable.

I still recall the good old time when everyone gets paralysed by Lillies and no one had Anti-P or Telepipes :(

Ultie
Jan 15, 2009, 02:49 PM
my fo's pallet is:

zalure - attack tech for area (mostly foie) - light attack
Resta - Anti - shifta

PocketAsian
Jan 15, 2009, 03:14 PM
My palette consists of
zonde - dodge - normal attack
shifta - resta - barta

I just have issues with my palette when it comes to bosses because I rather make use of the fact I have S&D and J&Z.

Just a small thought: It really would of been cool if they kept the shortcut menu via touch screen or something, but it seems Sega was very reserved on making use of the touch screen.

xSHiNOx
Jan 15, 2009, 03:34 PM
wow you guys dont have the fluids in your palettes?

the_importer_
Jan 15, 2009, 03:35 PM
My palette consists of
zonde - dodge - normal attack
shifta - resta - barta

I just have issues with my palette when it comes to bosses because I rather make use of the fact I have S&D and J&Z.

Just a small thought: It really would of been cool if they kept the shortcut menu via touch screen or something, but it seems Sega was very reserved on making use of the touch screen.

My wish since the DS was released was a PSO Mini with full touch screen controls, guess I can't have everything :P

Amherst_Wind
Jan 15, 2009, 03:43 PM
wow you guys dont have the fluids in your palettes?

R+Start! Cant afford to give precious palette space to things you can use elsewhere ^_^;

xSHiNOx
Jan 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
lol you mean L+Start. btw, are trifluids somewhat rare? the store never sells it. only mono and difluids.

the_importer_
Jan 15, 2009, 03:56 PM
lol you mean L+Start. btw, are trifluids somewhat rare? the store never sells it. only mono and difluids.

0_o didn't know about these shortcuts, any others?

xSHiNOx
Jan 15, 2009, 04:01 PM
L+Start = item menu
R+Start = weapon menu
Hold X and hold L or R = rotate camera

Amherst_Wind
Jan 15, 2009, 04:22 PM

See you know more about it than me, now try using it. :P

Akaimizu
Jan 15, 2009, 04:26 PM
Basically, I got around by preparing my pallette for general use application geared for the level itself. This is what I did before I read this topic.

Take note that one of the things they did do, to help alleviate some of the pallette problem, is to make special attacks for melee just a Charge of the melee button, and the Bigger or Alternate forms of an elemental/support tech a charge of the same button.

Anyway, when I'm set up for having buffs at my disposal, Healing too, I typically set up a pallette like this.

Pallete 1: (Attack tech) (resta) (Weapon Attack)
Pallete 2: (mono/di/tri fluid) (Shifta) (Deband)

This made it so that I had all of what I needed during a fight, with the minimal of needed adjustment between fights. The attack tech I use is the one damaging to the most amount of the enemies within a level, so I typically change this not too often in a level. Sometimes you can get away with keeping the same tech through the boss, or changing it just before the boss. (The fluid I use keeps going up, actually. With each increase of difficulty, you get more and more meseta, so you can graduate to typically filling up on higher and higher fluids. I still keep the lower ones around just in case I somehow run out and then quickly switch the pallette to the lower one.)

Anyway, this gives me access to:
- Two attack techs of the same element.
- A melee attack and use of my Weapon's Special.
- Both Buffs (individual and group)
- Healing (individual and group)
- And instant access to recover my tech.

Now that I know about the menu shortcut. (Though still a bit slower than using it on the pallette) I may actually remove the fluids from my pallette being able to recover it for either another tech element, or the ability to dodge roll again. My current support pallette was meant to try to avoid situations needing a dodge roll. However, this L+start stuff sounds just like what I need. Especially as I'm approaching the part of the game where I'm casting more stuff before I need a fluid.

the_importer_
Jan 15, 2009, 05:39 PM
L+Start = item menu
R+Start = weapon menu

Good to know about the Weapon shortcut to, thanks.

PocketAsian
Jan 15, 2009, 05:40 PM
Wow I didn't know about those shortcuts. I guess it helps that I know how to get to my fluids faster now. But even before then, I would be fine on not having fluids on the palette cause I can use them inbetween rooms when I run low. It's just maybe during boss fights with when I would have to pop a fluid, pending on how long the fight drags out.

SammaeltheDark
Jan 15, 2009, 07:09 PM
L+Start = item menu
R+Start = weapon menu
Ok, now that's a handy thing to know. I'm surprised I didn't find those accidentally before this (well, I knew about rotate camera because it always makes me wish Sega would've done something better with the X button.. I never use it)

Azure_wave
Jan 16, 2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah I'm still getting the hang of the tech system they put up. did they replace reverser with anything else or are moon atomizers the only way to revive teammates now?

Shiroyu
Jan 16, 2009, 03:40 PM
Alanti is the new Reverser, and anything that can revive has an AoE rather than just one target.

Azure_wave
Jan 16, 2009, 04:03 PM
So Alanti, was it's name?, is reverser/anti rolled into one tech?

xSHiNOx
Jan 16, 2009, 04:18 PM
Anti used alone heals status ailments affected on you. if you charge it, it will do the same effect but does it in a AoE; it also can revive teammates.

Azure_wave
Jan 16, 2009, 04:37 PM
Ah that's awesome. I was this close to being quite discouraged at the lack of reverser haha. I do love how they changed the tech system though, less meseta spent in my opinion. :D