PDA

View Full Version : DSi WPA Security

deso123
Jan 17, 2009, 07:59 PM
Well since the DSi is coming to america with WPA security support which is what most routers use now and allows you to connect your DSi to your router do you think we should try and hassle sega into adding wpa support to PS0 english version before it comes out or do you think it will be a useless cause? I'm about to buy that stupid 40 dollar USB wifi connector for my DS just to play online and I think it's a pretty lame thing to have to buy especially since people are saying it only works on windows XP. I heard that you have to use the old security of the DS even on DSi if that's what the older game supports which is the reason of this post. boop sha boop

the_importer_
Jan 17, 2009, 08:13 PM
Well since the DSi is coming to america with WPA security support which is what most routers use now and allows you to connect your DSi to your router do you think we should try and hassle sega into adding wpa support to PS0 english version before it comes out or do you think it will be a useless cause? I'm about to buy that stupid 40 dollar USB wifi connector for my DS just to play online and I think it's a pretty lame thing to have to buy especially since people are saying it only works on windows XP. I heard that you have to use the old security of the DS even on DSi if that's what the older game supports which is the reason of this post. boop sha boop

Don't count on SOA to make any improvements. The USB adapter is actually worth it.

It works great and you can carry it wherever you go and play online wherever you have access to XP or Vista with High Speed Internet.

landman
Jan 17, 2009, 08:28 PM
I've been trying today to connect my DS for the first time since my game arrived yesterday, I don't have WPA security in my router but still can't connect, error 52100 was the last one… but I'm not buying an usb to play this or any game... my wii and my psp connect without problems to the same connection. I will just play wireless with my friends then xd

deso123
Jan 17, 2009, 08:28 PM
oh it works on vista ok now? I saw on amazon people crying about xp only and others agreeing. That makes me happier. seemed weird that nintendo wouldnt support such a product properly by only supporting xp.

the_importer_
Jan 17, 2009, 08:30 PM
oh it woks on vista ok now? I saw on amazon people crying about xp only and others agreeing. That makes me happier. seemed weird that nintendo wouldnt support such a product properly by only supporting xp.

That's what happen when you trust people who shop on Amazon >_>

Just go download the updated driver from Nintendo's website.

deso123
Jan 17, 2009, 09:22 PM
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=95704&currency=USD&catalogId=10001&tranId=0&lastAction=setCurr&storeId=10001&languageId=-1&categoryId=62209&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector has been discontinued until further notice.

WHY?

the_importer_
Jan 17, 2009, 09:45 PM
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=95704&currency=USD&catalogId=10001&tranId=0&lastAction=setCurr&storeId=10001&languageId=-1&categoryId=62209&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector has been discontinued until further notice.

WHY?

The reason is on Wiki but that doesn't matter. Not because something is discontinued that it vanishes from stores, it's really easy to find one.

PepperCat
Jan 17, 2009, 10:02 PM
Easy to find one now... I bet once Xmas rolls around next year, they'll be impossible to find.

(Goes to buy 2 of them to resell later.)

Ragard
Jan 18, 2009, 12:33 AM
I had problems with both the official nintendo dongle and the wifi max on vista. The nintendo dongle would stop working at random and require me to completely uninstall and reinstall it. I couldn't get the wifi max to work at all with vista even after getting vista drivers.

I decided on getting a cheap wireless router instead for $25 and its been working great for me since. Its connected to my first wireless router. I don't use any wpa or wep security. Instead I use mac address filtering to keep out any unwanted guests. It doesn't take much effort to get things set up and once you do, you can get online without needing your computer to be on.

Its and option you should look into since a usb adapter can cost you about the same as a router. I guess an advantage of the usb dongle is the portability but since I play at home primarily its not really an issue for me.

Another option you might want to look into if you have a laptop is using it as an access point. There seems to plenty of guides on how to do it floating around on the net. I tried it myself but my wireless card didn't support that feature but yours might. Bottom line is that there are options out there other than the nintendo dongle so look around for what will work best for you.

Mike
Jan 18, 2009, 01:02 AM
Let's hear it for mac filtering! Though if your router's other settings are getting in the way, mac filtering doesn't help.

deso123
Jan 18, 2009, 01:57 AM
yeah i think im gonna just have to harass my bro to try and work something out.he controls the router so i dont know anything about it which is sad. right now he told me it dont support the ds. ill have to investigate.

StanleyPain
Jan 18, 2009, 03:28 AM
For those who can't get their DS to work at all with their router, try searching around on the internet about it more....I remember seeing confirmation (though not from Nintendo) that there were about 5 or 6 types of routers that do not work with the DS at all under any circumstances. Mine is like this. :(

Pietepiet
Jan 18, 2009, 06:13 AM
I heard that you have to use the old security of the DS even on DSi if that's what the older game supports which is the reason of this post. boop sha boop

I don't think that's true. All the Wifi settings are stored in the DS itself, not in the individual cartridges (which is also the reason you don't have to go to your settings every time you play an online DS game, because it's not stored on the cartridge). If the hardware supports WPA, so does the game, because it's not the game that's receiving the wireless signal, it's the DS or DSi.

deso123
Jan 18, 2009, 06:58 AM
I don't think that's true. All the Wifi settings are stored in the DS itself, not in the individual cartridges (which is also the reason you don't have to go to your settings every time you play an online DS game, because it's not stored on the cartridge). If the hardware supports WPA, so does the game, because it's not the game that's receiving the wireless signal, it's the DS or DSi.

well i heard that news when i was researching the dsi. a quick google search pulls up stuff like this which doesnt sound very good. please update me if this is wrong:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=115160
http://gonintendo.com/?p=59528

basically they say it has 3 wep connections and 3 more advanced ones that support the wpa and stuff as well. they say the old ds games only have access to the three wep only connections. :/

Pietepiet
Jan 18, 2009, 07:10 AM
Oh wow, that's pretty ridiculous. Thanks for those links. Makes me realise again how much Nintendo sucks at this online thing.

the_importer_
Jan 18, 2009, 07:59 AM
I had problems with both the official nintendo dongle and the wifi max on vista. The nintendo dongle would stop working at random and require me to completely uninstall and reinstall it. I couldn't get the wifi max to work at all with vista even after getting vista drivers.

I decided on getting a cheap wireless router instead for $25 and its been working great for me since. Its connected to my first wireless router. I don't use any wpa or wep security. Instead I use mac address filtering to keep out any unwanted guests. It doesn't take much effort to get things set up and once you do, you can get online without needing your computer to be on.

Its and option you should look into since a usb adapter can cost you about the same as a router. I guess an advantage of the usb dongle is the portability but since I play at home primarily its not really an issue for me.

Another option you might want to look into if you have a laptop is using it as an access point. There seems to plenty of guides on how to do it floating around on the net. I tried it myself but my wireless card didn't support that feature but yours might. Bottom line is that there are options out there other than the nintendo dongle so look around for what will work best for you.

Not going to argue about the vista compatibility issues since I don't use this POS, but it works great on XP.

Regarding the MAC filtering issue, sorry to break it to you, but that's not enough, there are ways around that. Best protection is a WPA(1/2) code with MAC filtering and a strange static range of address in your network (DHCP off).

well i heard that news when i was researching the dsi. a quick google search pulls up stuff like this which doesnt sound very good. please update me if this is wrong:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=115160
http://gonintendo.com/?p=59528

basically they say it has 3 wep connections and 3 more advanced ones that support the wpa and stuff as well. they say the old ds games only have access to the three wep only connections. :/

From the President of Nintendo of Japan

Though the new browser and those programs designed exclusively for the DSi will use a high level of security [e.g. WPA], existing DS software will use existing encryption.

deso123
Jan 18, 2009, 08:05 AM
im about to throw this bitch out the window i swear to god. on another note i noticed the three houses around me are using secured WEP connections. >_>

the_importer_
Jan 18, 2009, 08:33 AM
im about to throw this bitch out the window i swear to god. on another note i noticed the three houses around me are using secured WEP connections. >_>

You can also use other Wi-Fi adapters for the NDS, Wii and PS3: http://tinyurl.com/9x4ad4

MinscTFA
Jan 18, 2009, 08:48 AM
Hey there. Any idea of what a good price for the dongle is? I see no point in rushing out and getting ripped off now.

deso123
Jan 18, 2009, 08:56 AM
im slightly scared of ebay. i never bought used before and scared of chinamen putting a usb plug in a hollowed out case. but ill see. :O im looking at other brands on amazon and newegg. they look like cheapos but i heard the nintendo one overheats and crap. lose lose situation nintendo is gay. i almost hate them as much as macs.

the_importer_
Jan 18, 2009, 09:38 AM
im slightly scared of ebay. i never bought used before and scared of chinamen putting a usb plug in a hollowed out case. but ill see. :O im looking at other brands on amazon and newegg. they look like cheapos but i heard the nintendo one overheats and crap. lose lose situation nintendo is gay. i almost hate them as much as macs.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Nintendo didn't make the Wi-Fi adaptor, it was Buffalo. Nintendo is a great hardware maker compared to every other gaming company, they make their products last:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQNojWjYc4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEvlWQ5ULCg

deso123
Jan 18, 2009, 10:15 AM
I just felt up my brother's gaycube and my Dreamcast. I'm not convinced totally that it could beat Dreamcast abuse wise but no one would dare abuse such a great system as the Dreamcast. Theyd get hot. I'm gonna buy the official nintendo WI-FI connector for 53 bucks used in a minute if I can't find another solution Right now I'm thinning of attaching another router to my WPA router with the correct support but that sounds annoying and gay so IDK. Burn house down with usb or buy new router to compensate for DS fail?

This reminds me of the broadband adapter situation for dreamcast. I bet that bitch will skyrocket in price if nintendo doesnt come out with a new one but apparently it has been canceled for like 2 years now so idk what up. This whole situation is probably hurting the ds online community a lot.

the_importer_
Jan 18, 2009, 10:20 AM
I just felt up my brother's gaycube and my Dreamcast. I'm not convinced totally that it could beat Dreamcast abuse wise but no one would dare abuse such a great system as the Dreamcast. Theyd get hot. I'm gonna buy the official nintendo WI-FI connector for 53 bucks used in a minute if I can't find another solution Right now I'm thinning of attaching another router to my WPA router with the correct support but that sounds annoying and gay so IDK. Burn house down with usb or buy new router to compensate for DS fail?

This reminds me of the broadband adapter situation for dreamcast. I bet that bitch will skyrocket in price if nintendo doesnt come out with a new one but apparently it has been canceled for like 2 years now so idk what up. This whole situation is probably hurting the ds online community a lot.

Well Nintendo did come out with a bridge adapter in Japan and as I stated before, you can use other USB Wi-Fi adapters for DS Online play.

MinscTFA
Jan 18, 2009, 10:52 AM
Ahh, I remember those vids. There was one where it took a few good hits with a sledge to finally break it. Then they set it on fire, good times.

GameCube, toughest console ever made.

deso123
Jan 18, 2009, 11:11 PM
WIFI Max seems to be produced by a good company and is selling for 24.99 on amazon. I'd recommend getting that.

I bought the Nintendo DS WI-FI Connector though because I snatched one on Amazon that was on sale for 39.99 used in good condition or I would have gotten the WIFI Max if that wasn't there. WIFI Max is getting bad reviews by what looks like the average Wiitards so I'm sure most of you guys wont fail like them with the device.

Choices:
http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/WiFi-MAX__EF000625.aspx

Hope that helps. Remember you can always use a router with WEP security for your DS. Other methods of wireless access points seem to cost 50+ bucks and I wouldnt wanna really deal with that stuff Personally. I hope that everyone who wants to get online find their way instead of sticking with singleplayer. Hate nintendo so much...

PepperCat
Jan 19, 2009, 08:50 AM
Buy the Nintendo USB Adapter for yourself... problem solved.

This is better than PSU, and with no monthly charge for PSØ that USB dongle will pay for itself in 4 months time (unless you still play PSU).

In a few months before US release of PSØ buy as many of those adapters as you can afford and sell them on ebay or locally in kijiji for profit. :D

Aeris
Jan 26, 2009, 01:53 AM

It gets warm when using it so thats normal, i bought mine about 2 years ago when they where $29.99 in stores when they first came out.

deso123
Jan 26, 2009, 08:44 AM
It gets warm when using it so thats normal, i bought mine about 2 years ago when they where $29.99 in stores when they first came out.

Yeah it gets a little warm but so far I haven't seen it get warmer then the couple of usb wireless adapters that some of our older computers use. I was paranoid the first day unplugging it after a few hours but I noticed it never got as warm as those devices that we have plugged in all day every day. Wii people are stupid.