PDA

View Full Version : Can online mode be updated?

Vandrell
Jan 24, 2009, 05:47 PM
Would there always be new things to do online?

Niered
Jan 24, 2009, 05:53 PM
You cant update without a place to store the new information.

So no.

the_importer_
Jan 24, 2009, 05:54 PM
Would there always be new things to do online?

Doubt it, there isn't any storage for it and SEGA's not charging anything for Online play.

Shiroyu
Jan 24, 2009, 06:17 PM
The servers are with Nintendo, not Sega, so they have no power over things like this.

It's a shame, because holiday events would have ruled.

the_importer_
Jan 24, 2009, 06:26 PM
The servers are with Nintendo, not Sega, so they have no power over things like this.

My point exactly

Pietepiet
Jan 25, 2009, 11:04 AM

Holiday events could've still been programmed in. Look at games like Animal Crossing. Those don't require you to download anything for a holiday event.

the_importer_
Jan 25, 2009, 11:09 AM
Holiday events could've still been programmed in. Look at games like Animal Crossing. Those don't require you to download anything for a holiday event.

All in all, I'm still very impressed with this game for many reasons:

1- If fixed a lot of issues that PSO had
2- If the most impressive DS game I've seen up to date
3- I can carry a RTC Phantasy Star game and play it anywhere I want
4- It's made by SEGA, it's good and it's not a port, which is like a miracle is you ask me

Amherst_Wind
Jan 25, 2009, 12:13 PM

Unfortunately when the holiday events simply read the date of the DS clock people will just change the DS clock anytime they want to get said event, which sort of makes the events non-holiday events if you can play them whenever you like.

Pietepiet
Jan 25, 2009, 03:55 PM
That is true, yes. Kind of sad that people do something like that, though :(

LionHeart-
Jan 26, 2009, 10:09 AM
To be honest I think we could be seeing abit more for PS0 because if you look at Sega's track record for every Phantasy Star game, there has been a expansion, upgrade or another episode for it.

If they do have something in mind then i'm guessing the only way for them to upgrade the game is maybe put something onto a SD card (can DS use them?) or use the GBA slot. For the DSi, though I guess they could add downloadable content on it and use a SD card for extra memory.

Akaimizu
Jan 26, 2009, 11:10 AM
True enough. People could change dates. That would mean they would have to have something in place so the clients must check that they are in the same event phase in order to connect. People would change clocks, definitely. Animal Crossing DS kind of gets away with it due to not allowing folks to participate in seasonal event missions. Of course, you can somehow trade away event-specific items since there's no restriction outside of when you can get them yourself.

Of course, if it is simply the missions themselves that are locked away, that's probably something they could handle, kind of like the PSP version. (That is, what it does when you try to multiplay a download mission against someone who hasn't received that download).

Still, time-based easter eggs or drops would've been a nice little touch. Fortunately, we have a good amount of oddities and rare occurrences that do happen in this game. I have yet to run into any confectionary locations such as the pizza or cake shop.

_Vyser_
Jan 26, 2009, 03:44 PM
I heard that there was talk of potentially using the SD card in the DSi for game updates. I hope they do that for this game. Then again, that would mean I would need to buy the US version to play PSZ on the DSi >_<

xSHiNOx
Jan 26, 2009, 04:32 PM
if that were true, how would ds phat/lite owners go for updates? some of us dont want to get a dsi. that would be a bad idea at the same time as being a good idea. same goes for if they used a gba cart for updates/expansion

LionHeart-
Jan 26, 2009, 04:38 PM
Actually, I heard that the DSi is only region locked on DSi specific games. So seeing how PS0 is not a specific game for the DSi, you 'may' not need to bother.

landman
Jan 26, 2009, 04:53 PM
To be honest I think we could be seeing abit more for PS0 because if you look at Sega's track record for every Phantasy Star game, there has been a expansion, upgrade or another episode for it.

If they do have something in mind then i'm guessing the only way for them to upgrade the game is maybe put something onto a SD card (can DS use them?) or use the GBA slot. For the DSi, though I guess they could add downloadable content on it and use a SD card for extra memory.
Am I the only one that thinks the next title willl be PSŲ: Ragol? O_O I think it's too obvious...

_Vyser_
Jan 26, 2009, 05:48 PM
if that were true, how would ds phat/lite owners go for updates? some of us dont want to get a dsi. that would be a bad idea at the same time as being a good idea. same goes for if they used a gba cart for updates/expansion

Yeah, I can see that being a huge issue, especially if the DSi is fully region locked. Should something like this happen, I hope Nintendo is nice enough to make a GBA slot accessory that could be used to patch games. I don't know if any games have been announced to take advantage of this, so it's all just speculation off of what Nintendo told us. At least Nintendo is big on accessories.

Actually, I heard that the DSi is only region locked on DSi specific games. So seeing how PS0 is not a specific game for the DSi, you 'may' not need to bother.

That would make sense. I can understand it being region locked for the store stuff, but I hope that normal games are not region coded (good reason not to sell my DS lite then).

the_importer_
Jan 26, 2009, 05:49 PM

There won't be any physical DSi games, only downloadable games like on Wiiware. Every physical card games for the DSi will work on the DS Lite and DS Phat. That being said, they may add some features that will be compatible with the DSi's unique features.

Shiroyu
Jan 26, 2009, 06:13 PM
There won't be any physical DSi games, only downloadable games like on Wiiware. Every physical card games for the DSi will work on the DS Lite and DS Phat. That being said, they may add some features that will be compatible with the DSi's unique features.

From what I understand, the upcoming DJ Max Technika will either be released in two versions (DS and DSi), or only one version will be released, but when played on the DSi it will have more features.

So if playing Zero on a Japanese DSi doesn't do anything, then I honestly can't see them doing something for the US version.

the_importer_
Jan 26, 2009, 06:54 PM
From what I understand, the upcoming DJ Max Technika will either be released in two versions (DS and DSi), or only one version will be released, but when played on the DSi it will have more features.

So if playing Zero on a Japanese DSi doesn't do anything, then I honestly can't see them doing something for the US version.

From an interview with Siliconera:

“For the DS, we’re trying to do something with the DSi, but it’s a big secret. I can’t tell you what we’re doing with it, but the DS and DSi version will be different. It’ll play on both, but the DSi will have more features.” What is the “big secret(s)”? It might have something to do with camera and storage features which PM Studios plans to use for the DSi version of DJ Max Technika.

Don't see why they wouldn't be able to add the features on the same card unless they're planning the charge more for the DSi version.

Remember the GameBoy and GameBoy colored games? The GBC actually had more power along along with it's colored LCD. At first, the games were backward compatibles with the old GB but eventually, they started being only compatible on the GBC.

The DS Lite and DSi on the other hand have the same power under the hood, so there really isn't any reason why a game wouldn't be able to run a a DS Lite unless it's a game the utilizes the camera or SD card feature and even there, it should at lease be able to turn on in your DS Lite.