PDA

View Full Version : Noob with HUnewearl questions... please help!

pietaster
Feb 9, 2003, 08:11 PM
Hi all, this is my very first post on these forums.

I have the GC version of PSO and I plan on only playing offline. I've decided on making a Hunny and have already brought her up to lvl 10. I chose Oran as her section ID because I thought that daggers were a Hunny's best weapon... but after reading a few posts on these boards, most seem to talk down about them, and reccomend some other weapons. I plan on making a HUnewearl and playing her through to Ultimate mode so I have some questions:

1. Which section id is best for an offline HUnewearl and why? I plan on making a mag that has mostly pow and around 40 dex and 40 mind, and I'd like to choose a Section ID that will offer me the most useful/cool stuff all the way through to the higher levels of the game.

2. A lot of people on these boards seem to think that a Hunny can use more than just daggers and sabers. Will I really be able to use most swords and partisans with her effectively? if that's the case, should I go for a section ID that has a lot of swords? I was really hyped about using daggers until most people here said that they sucked... some have said that other weapons are better than them in places like the Ruins, etc. If this is the case, I'm half tempted to make a Skyly hunny... using a big a** sword would be fun too! I'm just concerned that she won't be able to use them properly. What are your thoughts?

Please share which weapons you people like using the most with your HUnewearls and which Section ID you reccomend.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pietaster on 2003-02-09 17:18 ]</font>

Rockburn
Feb 9, 2003, 08:13 PM
I like dual saber/sword weapons such as Yamato, Sange and Yasha, and Plain Yasha.

But I also have fun with my Heart of Poumn, a dagger type weapon..

Blood_Dragoon
Feb 9, 2003, 08:26 PM
I don't have a high level HUnewearl yet on the GC but on the DC I loved using mech guns with mine.

pietaster
Feb 9, 2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the replies so far Rock and Blood Dragoon. Which Section IDs do you guys use on your HUnewearls?

Please keep the responses coming people, this really helps.

Blood_Dragoon
Feb 9, 2003, 08:55 PM
Mine on the DC was Purplenum. . .

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Feb 9, 2003, 09:03 PM
I like PURPLENUM for mechguns :3
Mind on MAG isn't good at all ;3

pietaster
Feb 9, 2003, 09:06 PM
Blood,

Did you have to put a lot of dex on your mag to make that work? Or do HUnewearls eventually have just enough ATA to pull that off?

Please forgive all of the noobish questions, I just wanna plan this character out perfectly since I see myself spending a lot of time lvling her up.

Kupi
Feb 9, 2003, 09:48 PM
You might consider Bluefull as an ID, since that finds a lot of Partisans, which is nice for a HUnewearl when fighting groups. The huge swing and already high base ATA makes your attacks really accurate by the third swing (a hit after a successful one in a combo will be more accurate), which the HUnewearl direly needs. Later on, her ATA might not be good enough to start up combos with a Sword type weapon.

walla
Feb 9, 2003, 09:48 PM
Make your huney Skyly. Skyly caves is stacked with good rares for a hunter:

Red Sword
Red Daggers
Red Slicer
Parms
Chainsawd
Sange
Demo. Comet

This way you can play a single level over and over instead of having to divide your time looking for several good rares spaced out over different levels. This stuff will have you set and you can go on to other levels to find whatever it is you want. I prefer twin type weapons over daggers for my huney. Huney has a fast animation with twins where you don't need any battle units and they do great overall damage. Also, I would recommend not using any mind on your mag. Instead, make a mind mag to learn techs. Skyly can also find great god units: god/power, god/arm, god/hp, and god/body. ATA is a huney's weakness. Dex on a mag is a ripoff so I would recommend piping/finding a couple god/arms. Make your mag mostly pow, but you can have a little def and dex too (I believe def was my first stat to max). I would also recommend maxing your luck stat. In the long run you're better off with max luck. The way I did it was pump DEF and POW, and although it was great early on, I wish I could do it all over again. Anyways, you can't go wrong with Skyly.

Arche_
Feb 9, 2003, 09:50 PM
i like to use partisans and mech guns with mine. im a viridia and my mag is a 22/103/0/75 i upped the mind so i could use some tecks earlier cause that is how i used my hunny...

Para
Feb 9, 2003, 09:52 PM
i have an oran hunny and she holds up quite well.. daggers are good for hunnies since they are balanced in attacking style compared to the sabers and swords.
daggers are good for the hunny too because the shifta, deband, jellen, zalure helps compensate for the lower damage. oran also gives out a few mechguns for good backup ranged weapons

Tigereye
Feb 9, 2003, 10:22 PM
I use mechguns, handguns, swords and partisans. I switch between them depending on the situation. To give a single enemy a massive beating, mechguns. For long ranged assaults, handguns. For groups of baddies, Sword/Partisan. Just make sure that you keep your support techs up.

pietaster
Feb 9, 2003, 11:54 PM
Tigereye,

Switching weapons like that sounds like something I'd like to try. Which Section ID would you reccomend I use if I am to get a good assortment of the weapons you listed? I am playing offline only, so I won't have a chance to trade with people, and will have to be self sufficient.

Also Tigereye, what would you reccomend I do with my mags? I plan on making a mind mag to learn techs, but what do you suggest I do with my combat mag? Mainly pow, but how much dex and def?

Thanks

And thanks to everyone who has responded so far, your info has been great!

Tigereye
Feb 10, 2003, 01:57 AM
My advice is in a private mail.

Blood_Dragoon
Feb 10, 2003, 02:14 AM
My HUnewearl only had about 30 dex on her mag. But 3 God/Arms helped a bit. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Tigereye
Feb 10, 2003, 02:22 AM
I equipped 2 and used Charge Vulcans with 50% Hit. Deadly stuff when combined with maxed Luck when doing the special attack.

Annoy
Feb 10, 2003, 01:13 PM
I equipped 2 and used Charge Vulcans with 50% Hit. Deadly stuff when combined with maxed Luck when doing the special attack.

I've got something along those lines although it's a Riot Vulcan with 50% Hit...They're nice...although I accidentally sold it when I was clearing out my bank... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Elusive_Llama
Feb 10, 2003, 02:33 PM
I could have sworn I posted on this topic, but anyway...

Daggers are decent, but what you really want are the doublesaber-type weapons. They seem to be more accurate, do up to six hits in a combo, and most of them are powerful. They also have a better targeting system than any weapon except for a Yasminkov 7000v. I mean, you could start a combo slightly off target from a monster and still connect, unlike other weapons. Start with a doublesaber (Nanodragon Redria), go to demolition comet (Mil Lilly Redria), then a monkey king bar (Doldolm Redria) when you can find one. Upgrade it with a blue-black stone, grind it to +80 and you've got what is currently the most powerful doublesaber weapon in the game.

You'll need a good handgun weapon too. Trust me, you'll need it to safely deal with lillies in Ultimate because they cast megid at you, and you will find it very useful vs flying enemies and some bosses (such as Dark Falz's last 2 forms). Hit %s are all important, even more so than %s vs enemy types. If you can, get your hands on a Holy Ray. It requires 680 MST to use, gives a whopping +70 ATA, is only 20 ATP less than a Red Handgun and it has rifle range too.

As many on this board have suggested, get mechguns with hit %s. Never mind about the ATP difference between, say, a Gatling and a Vulcan - it is only 10 or 15 ATP. You will find these mechguns extremely useful later in your career.

As for techniques, rearrange your spell list so that you can easily access Shifta, Deband, Zalure, Jellen and Anti. To do that, open up your quick select spell list, highlight a spell, press X and select another spell which you want to swap places with. Keep resta and jellen bound to keys, and always have Shifta/Deband up all the time. Everytime you run into enemies, throw a dash of jellen on them. Add a zalure to bring out the full flavor. It only takes a few seconds to cast and will save you much pain.

ps. Never put your starting attack on the middle button. It sucks to hit that button, expecting to see your Hunny attack, but end up grabbing some useless item and getting smacked for your mistake.

pietaster
Feb 10, 2003, 10:35 PM
I'd like to thank all of you for helping me plan my character out. Thanks to your info, I've made a new HUnny named SuperFreak, who is already lvl 9. I went Redria thanks to the info given by Tigereye, and Llama helped confirm my decision. Also, thanks Llama for spelling out some of the little game basics like the spell list arrangement that will make my life so much easier (it would have taken me about a year to figure that one out on my own!).

I plan on making a mostly Pow mag with around 40-50 Dex, 5 Def, and no mind for combat; and a mind mag to learn spells. Now I have my char planned out for the most part all the way through lvl 200 BUT... I have one more question: How should I plan out my material consumption? Are materials pretty common in later levels of the game? Will I be able to plan this easily or should I just eat them as I receive them? Or rather... should I just use specific ones to max out specific stats like luck, and ignore the rest?

Thanks for getting this little hunny rollin' guys. I'll be seeing you all around on these boards. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif