PDA

View Full Version : PSP New English Trailer

joefro
Jan 27, 2009, 06:46 PM
Sega has released a new trailer for the English language version of Phantasy Star Portable. Joystiq Playstation has a video up. I'm guessing that Sega of Europe released this trailer because of spellings of the text.

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/01/27/sega-releases-new-phantasy-star-portable-trailer/ (http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/01/27/sega-releases-new-phantasy-star-portable-trailer/#comments)

deso123
Jan 27, 2009, 07:36 PM
what a lame trailer. doesnt even have decent online play without a ps3, lol. better luck next time.

Ryna
Jan 27, 2009, 08:32 PM
That is the kind of trailer I'd expect from a very early alpha build of the game. I hope the Sega PR people come up with something more interesting than that.

StanleyPain
Jan 27, 2009, 09:54 PM
Heh, this is literally just the trailer for PSU with some minor changes to reflect the PSP.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jan 27, 2009, 10:16 PM
That is the kind of trailer I'd expect from a very early alpha build of the game. I hope the Sega PR people come up with something more interesting than that.

This.
Also. The English Text isn't AS huge and space consuming as I thought it would be.
I say this because in PSP if your character has a first and last name, chances are you'll have to cut out their last name.
They did this with alot of story characters too.
(Which also could have been another "Technical Difficulty" they mentioned about when they said they couldn't enable the downloading of your character and what not.)

Mike
Jan 28, 2009, 05:07 AM
This trailer doesn't quite have the same appeal to it that the Japanese one had. Maybe it's because I've spent several hundred hours in PSP :D

what a lame trailer. doesnt even have decent online play without a ps3, lol. better luck next time.
It doesn't have any online play without a PS3 plain and simple. If Sega spent the money, they'd have some servers but they didn't. We do get download quests and it runs oh so smooth and looks great though.

Akaimizu
Jan 28, 2009, 11:21 AM
Well, you can also play online with Xlink Kai if you don't have a PS3, but have a PC and a USB wi-fi dongle like the Datel Wi-fi Max. We have connected to people using that ability on PCs.

Also, you can have first and last names if you select the 2nd english text option. Once you're in english text, the first option is the big all CAPS version. There is the option to use lowercase letters, too, and you're given more room for that. That allowed me to use "Tynselle Nbareh" in the game, and I have her full name in there. I doubt they would remove that from the English version as that requires further coding, and I doubt they would put the effort to remove that feature.

Dragwind
Jan 28, 2009, 04:47 PM
I hope they don't plan on using that trailer for advertising.

deso123
Jan 28, 2009, 08:02 PM
this is a bad generation of portable systems. either most games dont have proper online features or lack the ability to use the device's built in mics, etc. what a big mess.

Akaimizu
Jan 29, 2009, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't say a bad generation. The Portables are still trying to do more than previous generations of Portables did. Back in the day, it was super rare that a portable game would even bother to use the link cable available. This was compounded even worse as more game systems attempted to have more than 2-player connections. There were 4-player connections as early as the lynx (maybe before), and yet they were almost completely unutilized.

I would say as we go further, and we continue into the age where everybody is getting Wi-Fi, then we'll see more portable consoles built with that whole aspect in mind. The current gen of portables were first conceived before even all the consoles became built with online-play in mind. A feat which technically didn't happen across all full-sized consoles until this one. Online play for PS2 was a serious afterthought, which wasn't even really considered until sometime after Dreamcast toted their online play so much, and consumers started buying into the idea. Nintendo seemed key on avoiding online play as long as they could, but managed to get PSO ep1&2 in. Even then, online on the other consoles was pretty much non-existant until Xbox Live started getting popular and then they played catch-up to get a few games on it. The amount of non-Xbox Live games, last gen, which actually got play, could probably get counted on 1 hand.

Now take note the only competitors in this generation of portable systems. Take it as no surprise that full infrastructure support is a bit lacking, but slowly catching up. Still, if you have a PC, you have an online solution now. The PS3 will have one, later.

Mike
Jan 29, 2009, 06:59 PM
The orignal Gameboy had a few four player games. The only one that comes to mind is the F1 racing game though. I'd have to look at some things for the Lynx. I think I heard that the Lynx AvP was supposed to be four player but maybe not.

Akaimizu
Feb 3, 2009, 01:15 PM
Lynx had a few. It even had a Gauntlet game near launch that was 4-player. Gauntlet 3, I believe. Still, it's usually under-utilized in which by the time the portable console has gone through its paces, and became last-gen, the amount of them is usually quite small.

Genoa
Feb 5, 2009, 04:44 AM
Haha, for some reason the song reminds me of the Mortal Kombat theme xD
yeah that trailer is pretty poor :/