PDA

View Full Version : Lost stoof, fuck yeah!

Rust
Feb 1, 2009, 08:46 AM
So yeah...

I'm currently in RAAAAAGE mode so I need to write it off somewhere.

I'm currently at a shortfilm festival and during one of the projections, my cellphone fell from my pocket somewhere on the floor.
I noticed it like one minute after I left the room, but since I had checked it during the projection, I couldn't possibly have lost it anywhere else. So I went back to the room and searched around the seats I was on and those right in front of it (since I was completely in the back of the room), but nothing.

I'd have tried calling it so I could possibly hear the ringtone somewhere in the room, but I have the habit of shutting it off before the movie starts... Checked the festival's Lost Items office immediately and it wasn't there, neither it was one hour ago. I'll check again on Tuesday evening since I'm leaving on Wednesday morning, but I'm not counting on it much now.

What bothers me is that the room was exclusively filled with "old" people or movie company representatives, but since my cellphone managed to disappear in about two minutes without showing up in the Lost Items office, someone gotta have kept it for himself. If you can't trust anyone anymore... :/

Can't wait to memorize my new number after having used the same for six years, and get back the shitload of numbers I had stocked on my SIM card, not to add this cellphone was new and damn expensive (got it for almost nothing due to a cellphone exchange policy from my provider). I hope the lost/theft warranty is still going on ; no way I spend so many money on a new one, I already am too cheap to buy games at 30€ so yeah. Probably gonna lose half of my numbers data also ; most were from people I rarely contact but still do sometimes for important stuff ; I have no way to contact them besides their number, so I'll never get them back if they don't take the initiative of calling me by themselves.

I'm done, have fun bashing, and in the case you still didn't notice :
Yes, I'm a materialist. I hate dropping, giving or losing any kind of stuff I owned at any time of my life, even if I don't have use for it anymore since ages.

Darkly
Feb 1, 2009, 07:08 PM
sucks :(. losing your phone is one of the worst things to lose lately, because of like you said all those numbers and, even pictures etc.

to be honest thought im really similiar, look after anything i own just because i worked for it ya know, i dont think thats all that materialist either actually.

Ketchup345
Feb 1, 2009, 09:29 PM
If you have a normal wireless carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc), you can just get this one disabled when you get a new one. Your new phone will probably be able to get the same number as the old.

Obviously social network sites (Myspace, Facebook) can help get back old numbers.

KodiaX987
Feb 1, 2009, 10:10 PM
Had the same thing happened on my return trip from Atlanta. Stood up, phone dropped from my pocket without me noticing, realized at I was waiting at customs, and was only given the opportunity to talk about it afterwards, one half-hour later.

By then the plane had already left elsewhere and the airline never called to report my cellphone as found.

Tessu
Feb 1, 2009, 10:24 PM
Ouch. I wouldn't call you a materialist if it was an expensive phone. ;\

I've never had something quite as expensive lost before, but I have had new things stolen. I had a bad habit of leaving my gloves in the bathroom at school, and EVERY SINGLE TIME they got stolen. I mean, like, I would run back in within 10 minutes of noticing they were gone (in the middle of a class period) and they'd be gone. Lost and found never had them.

Side-rant about people stealing things: My sister's friends seem to think it's funny to steal other peoples' stuff if they leave it lying around. One of her friends actually walks around WEARING a stolen pair of Nikes which her older sister took from the locker room. Her justification? "Well the girl left them there."

She took the Nikes in the middle of a gym class. The girl had probably just decided to switch shoes. <_< She shows no signs of remorse.

Leviathan
Feb 1, 2009, 10:38 PM
Losing stuff sucks.
I hope you get your phone back, especially if it a nice phone.

I recently lost my flash drive, in my own room infact, and I've yet to find it. ):
Before that I lost my house keys in a pair of pants that I haven't worn in about 2-3 years.

Call your provider and cancel the use of your phone, and pray you don't have anything sent out that you didn't want sent out.

Rust
Feb 2, 2009, 12:36 PM
Ouch. I wouldn't call you a materialist if it was an expensive phone. ;\

Well, the materialism part wasn't solely about the phone.
I'm pissed the same way when I lose a pen which haven't been dried out of all its ink yet, looking for it for almost an hour till I find it back (when I know it can be ; I wouldn't do that in a super crowded public place, for instance).
Same goes with a couple music CDs and books I had lent to my sister long ago because I wasn't listening to or reading them anymore. It actually was so long I lent them to her that she thought they was hers, and so she sold them when she didn't have use of them anymore ; I was so pissed about it.

I keep track of everything I'm lending to other people (mostly due to past bad experiences), and also of what I'm borrowing, because I hate keeping stuff I borrowed for too long, sometimes harassing the owners so they get them back.
That's a bit compulsive, but it spared me lots of bother on countless times.

I'm not sure, but I think the phone was something like 120€.
Even though I wasn't using more than half of its features (videoconference on a phone, what the hell ?).

Call your provider and cancel the use of your phone, and pray you don't have anything sent out that you didn't want sent out.

I'll actually call when I'm back home on Wednesday.
I don't have the documents with all the infos anyways, and I'm waiting 'till my last try at the Lost Items office tomorrow evening before calling it lost for good.
My calling time is limited to one hour / month, and really don't know about texting. I'm not using it often, and most of my calls aren't going over 2 mins a call ; I usually make short calls because I can't bear texting and it's faster to actually call in person for me. Most of the time, I actually have two hours a month because unused calling time from a month is added to the next one.

I tried to call on my phone once each day to check out ; I'm getting my answering service every time. Either the phone is still off or the person who stole it didn't manage to figure out the PIN code yet. It was running very low on battery when I lost it anyways. I don't think something harmful will happen till I'm actually back and blocking my SIM card from working.

Kylie
Feb 2, 2009, 02:03 PM
I've never left a phone somewhere. I just forget it's in my pants and wash it. :wacko:

Maybe I should carry it in my purse, but I don't always carry a purse. /surprise

Rust
Feb 3, 2009, 02:40 PM
Got my phone back when I checked the Lost Items tonight.

As usual, seems that kicking the God of Luck in the balls did the trick.

amtalx
Feb 3, 2009, 03:44 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I lose or break a phone about every 2 years.

Edit: Wait a minute....