PDA

View Full Version : PS0 = Think about the future of Phantasy Star

Hozanto
Feb 1, 2009, 01:03 PM
Ive been reading and seeing people crying over whats not and what could have been in PS0 which is a DS game and ive notice that this game is just might be a taste of what is to come on bigger systems... soo....

look at it this way people...
It's a DS game
It's wasnt gonna be the almighty Phantasy Star you all have been waiting for...(because all the this stuff is being shoved into a little DS game)
Why is everyone complaining about the god forsaken shotguns (They are the gun on the gunblade!)

And if you put 2 and 2 together this DS game could be a preview of what could be coming to a next gen system sometime... maybe in a few years... maybe but! I see it as Sega saying that they still care about Phantasy Star...

Niered
Feb 1, 2009, 01:11 PM
And if you put 2 and 2 together this DS game could be a preview of what could be coming to a next gen system sometime... maybe in a few years... maybe but! I see it as Sega saying that they still care about Phantasy Star...

I seem to remember a game coming out that was supposed to be this...a sort of second coming of PSO...what was its name...oh geesh it escapes me at the moment..Oh thats it!

PSU.

Too bad PSU sucked something unholy. But yes, i would like to see a GOOD PSO sequel come out for current-gen or next gen consoles. PSZ is from what i can tell everything I wanted from a handheld version of PSO, but it would be even more awesome if we had something big to sink our teeth into.

deso123
Feb 1, 2009, 03:17 PM
the devs who make phantasy star clearly stated that there is a big difference between the quality of the portable phantasy stars and the big ones on the big consoles and PC. They clearly meant that you shouldn't expect the portables to offer full featured gameplay or the support that they offer with the big dogs on the home consoles and PCs. They said that's not where they are going to devote their time primarily to EVER. So expect the portables to be lacking major things and expect many more Phantasy Star games to come on home consoles and PCs. The features in PS0 will no doubt be carried over to future games but those games will probably be much more advanced. PS0 is like playing a dated version of the games we already have. It would be like plugging in your nintendo 64 and playing it today. Most people would not do that so playing this game is pretty much ridiculous like most games on the DS. They are dated games with a couple of modern features. Totally not worth your time.

Ebram
Feb 1, 2009, 03:17 PM
All in all I think it is very encouraging that SEGA responded to the negative feedback from the gaming community about PSU and made PSZ more like PSO.

The future looks bright to me.

deso123
Feb 1, 2009, 03:22 PM
All in all I think it is very encouraging that SEGA responded to the negative feedback from the gaming community about PSU and made PSZ more like PSO.

The future looks bright to me.

Don't be weird like that. Unreal Tournament 3 was supposedly going back to its roots too trying to mimic Unreal Tournament GOTY because so many people complained about the crappiness of the new ones. UT3 is undeniably one of the worst games ever made with almost no one playing it. There are plenty of other examples like this as well. Don't be one of those weirdos who think everything is going to be great because there's going to be "change" like Obama propaganda or going back to when times "were good" with nostalgia pipe dreams. Don't try to predict the future like that. It hardly ever turns out good.

Another example would be Tribes Vengeance. Quite possibly the game that destroyed the Tribes series forever or Supreme Commander severely damaging the Total Annihilation fans. Or Command & Conquer 3 totally raping the Tiberian universe. I could go on and on and on... What I hate most are the people who blindly support garbage after it comes out. It's so pathetic.

the_importer_
Feb 1, 2009, 04:23 PM
DS is currently THE nextgen platform for RPGs, that's why we have PSŲ on there.

Volta
Feb 1, 2009, 05:06 PM
Don't be weird like that. Unreal Tournament 3 was supposedly going back to its roots too trying to mimic Unreal Tournament GOTY because so many people complained about the crappiness of the new ones. UT3 is undeniably one of the worst games ever made with almost no one playing it. There are plenty of other examples like this as well. Don't be one of those weirdos who think everything is going to be great because there's going to be "change" like Obama propaganda or going back to when times "were good" with nostalgia pipe dreams. Don't try to predict the future like that. It hardly ever turns out good.

Another example would be Tribes Vengeance. Quite possibly the game that destroyed the Tribes series forever or Supreme Commander severely damaging the Total Annihilation fans. Or Command & Conquer 3 totally raping the Tiberian universe. I could go on and on and on... What I hate most are the people who blindly support garbage after it comes out. It's so pathetic.Several people claim the same rhetoric about PSO and the classic Phantasy Star games (down to "why do people support this garbage"). Inevitably with an ongoing series some fans are going to feel alienated by changes... but the same changes may end up creating new fans.

Hozanto
Feb 2, 2009, 08:37 PM

Another example would be Tribes Vengeance. Quite possibly the game that destroyed the Tribes series forever or Supreme Commander severely damaging the Total Annihilation fans. Or Command & Conquer 3 totally raping the Tiberian universe. I could go on and on and on... What I hate most are the people who blindly support garbage after it comes out. It's so pathetic.
well if some people look for the worst in games it truly won't be any good to them...
people say its just being "REAL" about their thoughts.
I call it "NO FAITH"... at all

I seem to remember a game coming out that was supposed to be this...a sort of second coming of PSO...what was its name...oh geesh it escapes me at the moment..Oh thats it!

PSU.

Too bad PSU sucked something unholy. But yes, i would like to see a GOOD PSO sequel come out for current-gen or next gen consoles. PSZ is from what i can tell everything I wanted from a handheld version of PSO, but it would be even more awesome if we had something big to sink our teeth into.

Oh yeah and you, PSU is before PSZERO which to make up for PSU.

Mike
Feb 2, 2009, 08:54 PM
Why is everyone complaining about the god forsaken shotguns (They are the gun on the gunblade!)
No, that's a piddly little peashooter. These (http://page.freett.com/blackjack/pso/pso-weapon-gun.htm) (scroll down a bit) are shotguns.

What's more important that SoJ making new PS games is the fact that SoA is putting them out in English, I think. It shows there's still a little love in SoA for PS and means that those who can't understand Japanese don't get the shaft.

Ebram
Feb 2, 2009, 11:09 PM

We obviously have differing tastes. But I think I know mine well enough to confidently say that this game looks like fun.

Akaimizu
Feb 3, 2009, 10:58 AM
I definitely do have differing tastes. I actually like what's been released and look forward to more Phantasy Star. Of course, I'm really starting to get more into this Sci-fi/fantasy mix these days. I think Phantasy Star has a little hand in why I'm really excited for the new Star Ocean coming out. (Well, other than the fact that it looks fantastic, and if they don't mess up the gameplay it has developed...it'll be a solid title I don't want to miss)

To a big degree, I've really enjoyed the portables actually. In fact, I would say that they blow away pretty much every attempt at a portable Dungeon Crawler to date. With one minor exception in Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (though I tend to call it a fantasy hunting simulation more than a Dungeon Crawler due to the incredible details of a Hunting Simulator they mixed in. It makes it control and feel more like some Deer Hunter game but with fantasy monsters, and the ability to melee. It's also a bit more slower paced than a Dungeon Crawler due to the way you kind of hunt your prey, or be hunted, instead of monsters just here attacking you and you kill them off). Though, MH2 can be a slight turnoff for those typically playing for the experience to fight monsters and loot. The gains and what not are not quite as fast, nor as simple to get.

Still, for a more traditional Dungeon Hacking experience, I don't think there's any portable comparison. Both on the DS and the PSP. The PSP probably surprised me the most, mainly because it really feels like they truly put the equivalent of a full console release in it. Of course, for a somewhat shorter playlength....but I like to compare it more to PSO v1, when it comes to time spent on a character. That alone, is kind of amazing for a pocket.

Also, pocket system games are supposed to allow quicker play sessions. They aren't meant for hours at a time kind of play. For good reason. When you pick up a pocket system, your expectations are a little different than when you sit down at a console or PC. Still, games like this are ones that could last weeks if not months, and that's an amazing thing for a pocket. It certainly becomes something close to a full console experience on long plane rides. I can't think of a better thing to whip out once that fasten seatbelt sign disappears and the voice comes over the intercom stating that electronic devices are ok to use.

(Ok. maybe a small 13" laptop with Diablo II on it would be right up there, too.)

deso123
Feb 3, 2009, 01:59 PM
My problem is that they arent even trying to make these new phantasy star games better than pso. didn't even try. I don't lower my standards just to play the new ps0 and im not going to play a single player psu on the psp. Just not going to do it...

Akaimizu
Feb 3, 2009, 03:33 PM
Well, if you don't want to get xlink kai for your PC, then I guess that is your choice on the PSP game. I do take in consideration that it's nowhere as convenient as if there was a true infrastructure mode for the game.

SubstanceD
Feb 4, 2009, 05:57 PM
Ive been reading and seeing people crying over whats not and what could have been in PS0 which is a DS game and ive notice that this game is just might be a taste of what is to come on bigger systems... soo....

look at it this way people...
It's a DS game
It's wasnt gonna be the almighty Phantasy Star you all have been waiting for...(because all the this stuff is being shoved into a little DS game)

Technically you are right. But you are also kind of missing the point. Many feel that Sega could have and should have been making Phantasy Star Zero for one of the current gen consoles ( that's the PS3, XBox 360 and even the Wii, I think we can stop calling them next gen now since thye have all been out for a while ) intead of the grossly under-powered DS. You yourself admit that PS0 is a DS game and because of that it was never going to be succesor to PSO that alot of us were waiting for, not that PS0 is bad, it just obvious were Sega had to cut corners. Having said that I do get why Sega chose the DS thanks to its high user base, it's wifi ( no online fee's so that should attract more online gamers ), it's touch screen controls. I just wished it was for one of the home consoles cause then Sega would have been able to do more with this game.

Genoa
Feb 5, 2009, 03:54 AM
I would love to see this series hit off.
As much as I would like to see it on the big screen, I like the idea of my phantasy star being portable ;)
I wouldn't know what system to put it on anyways...
I don't have an Xbox360, and I would hate to deal with xboxlive. I think a PS3 version would look amazing, however, not many people have a PS3 or are fans of it :/ (I like it...)
Wii could maybe pull it off, perhaps have some form of using PSZ DS uploadable/downloadable content for a Wii version.

I don't know, either way, I don't mind it being on DS.
DS is win :D
*awaits DSi*

Niered
Feb 5, 2009, 12:25 PM
Sega is, quite simply speaking, not going to make another PSO-esque game for current gen consoles for one simple reason.

PSU was supposed to be just that.

If PSU had been what we all wanted, would we even be having this discussion? I think not, we would still all be playing PSU, and PSZ would have ended up being an awesome sidenote that we could play when away from our computers/PS2s/360s.

Personally? Even if Sega is headed in a slightly better direction with their publishing titles (Madworld, The Conduit, Bayonetta) I dont trust them (most of the time) to not screw up one of their prized series. PSU is an excellent example of this. The player base at its peak was still dwarfed by PSO's.

If we were going to get another good PSO game for either current-gen or next-gen systems in the next decade, I would say that you have a better chance of it being good if Sega just handed the IP to another developer (although even that doesnt sometimes work, Bioware.)

GeoSword
Feb 5, 2009, 02:37 PM
Personally I have played PSO since ver. 2, PSO on the Gamecube, Blue Burst, then PSU when it first came out and then PSZ just recently. From what I noticed, each one has it's own atmosphere and its own game engine and significant differences that make the other PS games stand apart. Sure, some features/items/gameplay options have been dropped or added for that same reason. If you think about it if PSO was exactly or close to PSU, people then will cry foul and say "I'm playing the same freakin' game just prettier graphics." So some elements were added or changed to make the experience different from the others. Same case with PSZ, not exactly PSO, but people still complained about it (items, classes, graphics etc.)