PDA

View Full Version : So this game sounds too good to be true?

Achaiah191
Feb 5, 2009, 06:10 PM
Except that we aren't sure if we'll get updates or not.
If we DO get updates, what'd be the point in playing PSU?(unless you don't want or own a PSP)

Does it already come with more content than PSU?

Is it ONLY local multiplayer or can you play with people from different locations in the US?

Edit: Ok so I see that the game is local only but X-Kai allows you to play internet games. How exactly does this work? Is it unreliable or does the connection speed stay good most of the time? Is X-Kai a pain to set up when you want to play with others?

Dragwind
Feb 5, 2009, 06:54 PM
There might be some download content every so often, but don't expect anything massive. Online play with PSU is still going to be pretty different and more diverse, so I hardly doubt it's going to have a negative impact on PSU (especially with the upcoming additions and changes to PSU).

Local multiplayer can be great if you have buddies who all share interest in the game. Tunnel services such as X-Kai can vary, depending on the players connection and distance. It's not as user friendly as integrated online play, but it might work well for some.

Amherst_Wind
Feb 5, 2009, 07:20 PM
Dont mean to burst the bubble but Phantasy Star Portable is not Phantasy Star Universe.
I'll try to explain the main differences...

It's meant to be a game you dont have to put as much time in as PSU. Note the "have to", you can still put a ton of time into this game (especially when hunting things) and its just as enjoyable (I'm nearing 300 Hours). Things like Character levelling, PA levelling and Job levelling have been made much faster. Weapon synthing has been removed (which personally I view as a huge improvement) but I'm sure many would miss it. There are less areas, however for the most part the redundant missions have been removed, for example while Mad Beasts and Plains Overlord (both being set in the same area with the same enemies) are in PSU, in PS Portable they removed Mad Beasts.

The downloaded content being offered is almost always going to be new missions set in areas already out, so its highly unlikely any future missions will take place in an area you haven't already been to.

It's portable! You cant play PSU on the go, this is the solution! It's something you are meant to be playing ad-hoc with friends, however it can be tunneled for makeshift infrastructure mode using X-link or, if you have a PS3, Ad-hoc party.

Overall its meant to be a compliment to PSU, rather than a replacement. That doesnt mean it doesnt have anything new over PSU. It has an entirely new story mode with new chracters, it has exclusive missions, it has hundreds of new weapons and other items and its Job system has been greatly refined to be much better.

So if you enjoy PSU you'll probably want this, along with continuing to play PSU.