PDA

View Full Version : Live and Let Live

Kylie
Feb 11, 2009, 01:03 PM
This is definitely one of my favorite phrases, so this isn't a rant against it in any way. On the contrary I think more people should have this philosophy. I have this friend in real life that I'm starting to dislike hanging out with because he always has to start shit. Not with me, but if he sees some random guy that's acting a way he doesn't like, he feels the need to provoke him. It can get kinda scary like last week when he pissed off a bunch of "rednecks." >_>

It's so easy for me to just ignore people that get under my skin because I try to avoid conflict, so it makes me really uncomfortable. I've even told him how I feel, and he said that he was just having "fun." It's not just hm either. I think people in general just need to be more tolerant of each other. What do you think?

Ceresa
Feb 11, 2009, 01:27 PM
Doesn't projecting your "live and let live" views on someone else directly conflict with the entire spirit of "live and let live" philosophy?

Quite the dilemma!

Kylie
Feb 11, 2009, 01:43 PM
Doesn't projecting your "live and let live" views on someone else directly conflict with the entire spirit of "live and let live" philosophy?

Quite the dilemma!I had a feeling someone would bring this up. I'm in no way forcing anyone to think this way. This is, personally, what I believe; and what I believe my friend needs to take to heart he starts provoking a group of guys that could potentially, you know, beat his face in. I'm also inclined to tell him my opinion when he involves me because I'm with him and puts me in danger. Admittedly, I can't do much more about it, so that's why I said I'm starting to dislike hanging out with him. As much as I do like him as a person despite the trouble he causes, I might get to where I don't anymore.

stukasa
Feb 11, 2009, 02:10 PM
I'm like you Kylie, I avoid conflict whenever possible. I'll say what needs to be said but I don't go out of my way to provoke people and usually try to find a peaceful solution to a conflict. One of MY favorite phrases is "Treat others as you would like to be treated." I find that when I do that, people usually respond well and I don't have to worry about conflicts in the first place.

MetaZedlen
Feb 11, 2009, 02:14 PM
What's with the tag "boys"? Are we all THAT bad?

j/k, but seriously, I get where you're coming from Kylie, I had the same exact "friend" like that, and one day I was just done hanging out with him (for many other reasons, but he liked to get into fights also...).

If anything, you should just stop hanging out with him, it will be VERY beneficial to you being that the day might come where he might get into a fight and get his ass kicked, but at least you won't be there in case that particular crowd moves in on you.

Kylie
Feb 11, 2009, 02:18 PM
What's with the tag "boys"? Are we all THAT bad?No, no. Not at all! XD

When I call someone a "boy" that isn't, I usually mean they're immature.

Aisha379
Feb 11, 2009, 02:43 PM
I think people in general just need to be more tolerant of each other. What do you think?

I can't believe you're bringing up this subject on this forum, of all places!

I mean I kinda agree. I can tolerate somethings but if I'm really bothered by something I just ignore that person usually.

But seriously, here? People have 10 page long bitchfests at what constitutes as a good race/class combination.

(Okay yeah, not everyone here is like that, for sure, but just the general feeling of the place...)

I don't really have any friends like that though...I guess I'm the most aggressive person I know to an extent...but even I have been very chilling for a long time now.

Leviathan
Feb 11, 2009, 04:19 PM
I think "unless it can harm me" should be an addenum to that phrase.

Eventually someone is going to get really riled up about that and who knows, a fight may happen.

Shadowpawn
Feb 11, 2009, 04:47 PM
The guy you're hanging out with just might piss off the wrong group of people and get his ass handed to him or worse. Bravado like that only serves to make life more difficult than it has to be.

Gunslinger-08
Feb 11, 2009, 05:25 PM
The guy you're hanging out with just might piss off the wrong group of people and get his ass handed to him or worse. Bravado like that only serves to make life more difficult than it has to be.

That's probably what he needs to have happen to him. Just enough to straighten him out.

Kylie
Feb 11, 2009, 05:45 PM
I think "unless it can harm me" should be an addenum to that phrase.Yeah, I agree. I see that as understood though.

Anyway, I don't want him to get hurt, but maybe he does need to get roughed up a bit. He's always saying, "I can take them." He's a pretty fit guy for sure, but his cockiness is going to get him in a lot of trouble someday.

Kent
Feb 11, 2009, 10:24 PM
That phrase could be extrapolated into "hurt and get hurt," and... It'd probably have the same effect, just with an active (rather than passive) sense to it.

Typically, the favored response would be something along the lines of displaying disgust when it happens, and if it's persued any further (or happens again), just turn around and walk away, immediately. If he can't take a hint from a friend (and generally-speaking, the opinions of friends, if no one else, should be taken seriously), then maybe he should get some sense beaten into him by someone.

Solstis
Feb 11, 2009, 10:33 PM
That's probably what he needs to have happen to him. Just enough to straighten him out.

Sounds like that might just make him even more hostile. I'd imagine that being beaten up by the people you irrationally hate would make things a bit worse.

Gunslinger-08
Feb 12, 2009, 12:04 AM
Sounds like that might just make him even more hostile. I'd imagine that being beaten up by the people you irrationally hate would make things a bit worse.

Possibly. If that's the case, he's a lost cause, unless you're willing to invest money.

Tessu
Feb 12, 2009, 12:53 AM
I express my disapproval at the way people act only when:

1. They are being actively aggressive towards me first.
2. I know them on a personal level.

But even then, I don't go and trash them.

I'm not entirely sure if civilly bringing it up to people counts as going against the phrase or not, though, but I'd like to think of myself as a tolerant and accepting person.

Powder Keg
Feb 12, 2009, 01:26 AM
Of course...

The world wouldn't be fun if everyone was the same. :)

Sinue_v2
Feb 12, 2009, 06:49 PM
One of MY favorite phrases is "Treat others as you would like to be treated."

This doesn't work so well in the case of Masochists.

I don't have a neat and quaint little phrase to epitomize how I treat others. I try my best to be a good person according to my own morals, but how well I treat others is not for me to say - but to others. In this, I like the philosophy of Ubuntu. The only way to recognize my humanity is to see it reflected back at me in others.

A person with Ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed.

Vanzazikon
Feb 12, 2009, 07:12 PM
Sounds a bit like he's trying to impress you. I've seen pacifist guys trying to act tough in front of girls to get their attention. Usually when I see this and I "know" who he is and how he's like, I'd say "Please, STFU. You ain't going to do shit."

Unless he just love fights, you should tell him to join UFC or other MMA sports. :wacko:

Delete
Feb 12, 2009, 08:53 PM
And here i thought you were gonna talk about the circle of life. Yes people, live and let live is a lyric in that song.