PDA

View Full Version : What's up with my ps2?

hooray4punkmusic
Feb 10, 2003, 08:51 PM
Just recently my gamecube broke, so my cousin lent me his ps2. When he was here on sunday it was working fine. Then he left and sent me some of his games. Devil may cry, maximo and Z.O.E. I started playing maximo and an error message pops up "disc read error". I try it agin and it works. Then i got bored of maximo and tryed to play devil may cry. But it says agin "disk read error". Then i try Z.O.E and the same thing pops up? Then i try maximo agin same message pops up! Then i try play a dvd. And it doesn't work? I take the games to my friends housee and they work fine. But my ps2 won't load them! By the way it's 2 years old. My friend said the lens might be dirty or broken? But it was working when my cousin was playing it, and then i tried to play then that damn message pops up! Please help!!!

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Feb 10, 2003, 09:31 PM
The Disc Error message comes up the most in older PS2 systems, it's just an error on Sony's part. Tell your cousin to get it fixed or get another one =(

TerribleDeliMeat
Feb 10, 2003, 09:38 PM
Sounds like a bad dvd drive. Best bet is get it sent to Sony for repair...though if its warranty is out of date...get prepared to get whacked for fees.

Vantamiath
Feb 10, 2003, 09:46 PM
This is a huge "underground" problem.

Mine does the same thing.

...My gym teacher gave me the PS2 DVD CD that you download to a memory card, and it supposedly changes the disc speed from DVD to games.

This error is due to watching DVD's on the PS2, because DVDs and games have different lens-speeds, so the PS2 reader gets confused alot, and the real thing that sucks is, you cant do jack crap about it.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Feb 10, 2003, 11:09 PM
Did you move the PS2 from a warm place to a cold place, or vice versa? That might put condensation on the lens. I read that somewhere, but that probably means it's BS =^_^=

hooray4punkmusic
Feb 10, 2003, 11:27 PM
On 2003-02-10 20:09, SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko wrote:
Did you move the PS2 from a warm place to a cold place, or vice versa? That might put condensation on the lens. I read that somewhere, but that probably means it's BS =^_^=

Yeah the games he sent down were cold. And i started playing one like 20 minuts after. >_<

Cloud_01
Feb 10, 2003, 11:53 PM
On 2003-02-10 17:51, hooray4punkmusic wrote:
Just recently my gamecube broke, so my cousin lent me his ps2. When he was here on sunday it was working fine. Then he left and sent me some of his games. Devil may cry, maximo and Z.O.E. I started playing maximo and an error message pops up "disc read error". I try it agin and it works. Then i got bored of maximo and tryed to play devil may cry. But it says agin "disk read error". Then i try Z.O.E and the same thing pops up? Then i try maximo agin same message pops up! Then i try play a dvd. And it doesn't work? I take the games to my friends housee and they work fine. But my ps2 won't load them! By the way it's 2 years old. My friend said the lens might be dirty or broken? But it was working when my cousin was playing it, and then i tried to play then that damn message pops up! Please help!!!

The same thing happened to my PS2 a couple months ago. It kept saying disk read error whenever I put in regular PS games and certain PS2 games.

I called the PS2 technical help number and they told me that I had to get it fixed. My warranty was expired but they fixed it for free anyways. Looks like they knew this was happening to older Playstations 2s. All I had to spend was $15.00 shipping and handling.

They fixed and sent my PS2 back in two weeks. Now it plays games good as new http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. You should call their technical support line and see if they can help you out.

EDIT: Damn, it took me so long to post this. I kept getting 505 error. It's been happening a lot the past few days.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cloud_01 on 2003-02-10 20:57 ]</font>

Phobos-X
Feb 11, 2003, 07:42 AM

hmmm, you just broke your GC, and your cousins PS2 "mysteriously" stops workin after he leaves...you sure theres nothing wrong with YOU and not the ps2?? j/k

my GC and previous Xbox used to give me the same message. probably due to faulty manufacturing. funny how the older consoles still work, but the newer ones break down after a year or two..

RuneLateralus
Feb 11, 2003, 01:23 PM
Also check around the area. Are they close to speakers? If so, then that could me causing the problem. Try to keep it as far away from them as possible.

hooray4punkmusic
Feb 11, 2003, 11:06 PM
Yay! It's fixed. All i had to do was take it apart and get all the dust out. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BlackRose
Feb 11, 2003, 11:15 PM
I remembered that on the way home... my brother's PS2 was getting a lot of disc read errors, but we blew the dust out of the fan and it worked again. I don't think it's necessary to take it apart, and then you don't void the warranty (if you still have it)

A little late advice, i guess...