PDA

View Full Version : Sonic and the Black Knight Trailer.

Shadowpawn
Feb 16, 2009, 05:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gP_SP0ox4w&feature=subscription

Looks like this game is following the same gameplay mechanics as Sonic Unleashed (for the most part anyway.) That may or may not be a good thing. What do ya'll think?

Split
Feb 16, 2009, 06:42 PM
looks like a bad premise with decently fun gameplay...

Omega_Weltall
Feb 16, 2009, 07:45 PM
it seems cool, but Sonic with a sword?! it just does not fit at all

Tyreek
Feb 16, 2009, 08:11 PM
I have to agree there. Sonic using the power of a magic ring is one thing, (it fits because well, what Sonic game didn't have rings?) but Sonic using a sword... I dunno it's a bit too outside the box for me. But if they can make it work, then by all means. I understand that they're trying to fit Sonic with the theme of the storybook so I guess having a sword is necessary. The gameplay is similar to Unleashed, but still has the Secret Rings feel to it huh? A friend of mine will be quite pleased to hear that.

Aisha379
Feb 16, 2009, 09:34 PM
One thing I really like about this, is how the combat with the sword seems really well integrated with the normal speed of Sonic, instead of having to stop and slowly attack enemies. It doesn't appear his speed is effected at all by the sword combat, and that is certainly a plus.

I am however, for good reason, still skeptical.

PS: OMG I WONDER WHO THE BLACK KNIGHT IS??????

Shadowpawn
Feb 16, 2009, 09:46 PM
One thing I really like about this, is how the combat with the sword seems really well integrated with the normal speed of Sonic, instead of having to stop and slowly attack enemies. It doesn't appear his speed is effected at all by the sword combat, and that is certainly a plus.

I am however, for good reason, still skeptical.

I was surprised by the integration of the sword gameplay was well. At least they didn't go the werewolf route like we all feared they would.

Cracka_J
Feb 16, 2009, 10:03 PM
wow that looks 100% like sonic and the secret rings, the last sonic wii game.

which probably means it will have terrible control, gameplay, and lots of wiimote jerking off.

pass.

Dragwind
Feb 16, 2009, 10:21 PM
I still can't believe I put myself through the torture to finish Sonic and the Secret Rings. If this game is anything like that, I'll pass as well. I will say though, I hope they use music similar to that trailer. It's so comforting to not hear the corny rock songs.

Alnet
Feb 16, 2009, 10:38 PM
Am still skeptical. Even Castlevania Judgment looks shiny as hell (aside from butchering the character designs with that Deathnote guy's art) and has an awesome soundtrack, but look how that turned out.

King Arthur. :wacko: (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Knight)

Shadowpawn
Feb 16, 2009, 11:00 PM
And it gets cheesier, turns out the sword can talk (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Caliburn_the_Sword).

jShazBot
Feb 16, 2009, 11:07 PM
I think the whole idea is terrible and because Sonic has been so Shitty lately, I probably won't even give this game or any other Sonic game a chance. Ever.
Though, I would like it ALOT if SEGA made a new Sonic game themed like the original first 3 Sonic games and released it as a download for all 3 consoles. Just like what CAPCOM did with Megaman 9. Reuse the old gameplay elements, add some new things that are fun but not a ridiculous amount of new elements, and stick with the old school music instead of having some gay boy band sing the games main theme. If SEGA does this for me then they won my heart back for their Sonic games.

jShazBot
Feb 16, 2009, 11:11 PM
I think the whole idea is terrible and because Sonic has been so Shitty lately, I probably won't even give this game or any other Sonic game a chance. Ever.
Though, I would like it ALOT if SEGA made a new Sonic game themed like the original first 3 Sonic games and released it as a download for all 3 consoles. Just like what CAPCOM did with Megaman 9. Reuse the old gameplay elements, keep the exact same old school graphics as before, add some new things that are fun but not a ridiculous amount of new elements, and stick with the old school music instead of having some gay boy band sing the games main theme. If SEGA does this for me then they won my heart back for their Sonic games.

Then they should call it Sonic 4. There isn't a Sonic 4, is there?

Ah, I didn't think it loaded the first time. >_>
Mybad on the double post.

Aisha379
Feb 17, 2009, 12:15 PM
King Arthur.

Lawl. Touche' D=

I just saw Shadow in the trailer and figured it was him (for the sake of not getting my hopes up, its rare for me to look for facts about a game prior to its actual release).

And it gets cheesier, turns out the sword can talk.

Oh my God. My already slight enthusiasm for this game has already been felled.

amtalx
Feb 17, 2009, 02:15 PM
To be honest, I would rather never see another Sonic game again for the rest of my life than continue to watch ST prop up Sonic's mutilated corpse for another iteration.

DreXxiN
Feb 17, 2009, 05:32 PM
I keep thinking this is getting pretty bad, but then I remember what Nintendo is doing and it's equally as bad.

Mario's been an environmentalist, and Link had a cap that shrunk him, and TALKED.

It's kinda the same boat; franchises from both are going downhill for me.

Aisha379
Feb 17, 2009, 05:51 PM
and Link had a cap that shrunk him, and TALKED.

But remember writing skill makes a big difference here.

ST is hardly composed of award winning authors. And they have deaf people picking voice overs too, so on top of saying stupid things, the sword will most likely SOUND stupid too...

amtalx
Feb 17, 2009, 06:16 PM
In no way are Mario and Zelda in the same boat as Sonic. Admittedly, Sunshine sucked, but you can't hit them all out of the park. At least Mario/Zelda have had a decent game within the last couple generations.

Outrider
Feb 17, 2009, 07:06 PM
But remember writing skill makes a big difference here.

ST is hardly composed of award winning authors. And they have deaf people picking voice overs too, so on top of saying stupid things, the sword will most likely SOUND stupid too...

I'm hoping the big twist of the game is that the sword turns out to be Tommy the White Ranger's talking tiger-sword, Saba.

Then again, the way Sonic games have been going, we'd be lucky if Sonic didn't make out with the sword.

The big thing here is that each of the recent Sonic games have been abandoning the core gameplay of the classic Sonic titles. Mario and Zelda are both pretty much the same types of games they've been all along (barring some spin-offs, obviously). Mario's still a platformer and Zelda is still an adventure game.

Recent core Sonic games have attempted to be brawlers, vehicle battlers, puzzle games, shooters, etc. Sometimes it works (I actually mostly enjoyed Sonic Adventure's disjointed play styles), but for the most part, fans have been clamoring for more speedy Sonic gameplay and less diversions.

Considering how poorly Sonic's games have been doing, I don't see why they don't just make a game entirely focused on that style of gameplay. They keep almost doing that and then they'll start throwing in ridiculous changes to the game. I feel like each game design document just starts off describing a game with just regular Sonic gameplay, but then they have a wild party where everybody passes it around and adds their own ridiculous ideas to it.

"This time Tails is a robot!"

"Oh man, Sonic should be slow in this one."

"Ha! I'm gonna pretend that people care about the story!"

I wish I could go to one of those parties with a large bottle of white-out.

Alnet
Feb 17, 2009, 11:19 PM
And it gets cheesier, turns out the sword can talk (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Caliburn_the_Sword).
Probably got the idea from this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singing_Sword)

Kesubei
Feb 20, 2009, 09:31 AM
In no way are Mario and Zelda in the same boat as Sonic. Admittedly, Sunshine sucked, but you can't hit them all out of the park. At least Mario/Zelda have had a decent game within the last couple generations.

Sonic Rush was a great game. It puzzles me why people forget it. Sonic Chronicles, despite it flaws, was also lots of fun. Perhaps it's because bashing Sonic is so en vogue right now that actually finding good qualities to his games kills the party.

Similarly, Sonic and the Secret Rings wasn't a bad game. It's certainly not what I wanted, but it surprised me. Sonic and the Black Knight looks like fun, despite some of the cheesiness. Though, really, it isn't any more cheesy than your average Mario game.

Unlike some, I don't see it as a grave sin that ST is releasing so many Sonic games. I'm sure it hurts more than a few people, but they have to get it right eventually, especially with so much feedback.

Personally, I think the problem is that no has bothered to change the game's formula. Sonic has had the same perspective and goals for the eleven years.

amtalx
Feb 20, 2009, 09:56 AM
The problem is they DID change the formula. Look back at the last Sonic game that kicked ass and didn't have any "Well its a great game, but I could deal without [insert lame feature]" caveats. It was basically Sonic & Knuckles. I loved the SA games, but the side characters were an enema of failure. Everyone just battled through those sections to get back to playing as Sonic. Fishing with Big the Cat? GTFO. Just about every Sonic game since has something terrible like that.

Sonic games used to be straight platformers. Now ST insists on jamming some other gameplay aspect into it that nobody wants, and its not like the community hasn't been vocal about hating the tacked on action elements. Mario games haven't deviated much from their original formula, and the most recent installment (Galaxy) didn't suck because of it. Sure, they expanded a little and made the environments more diverse, but at the end of the day you are doing the same thing you were in 1985: jumping on things heads.

I'm not trying to say that developers shouldn't expand their horizons with established franchises, but they should also be mindful not to tread on what actually made the franchise popular to begin with.