PDA

View Full Version : You are not dyslexic.

KodiaX987
Feb 17, 2009, 12:25 PM
If I see someone pull the "but i rly haev dislexxya!" in this thread, say goodbye to your life. I'm not in the mood to fuck around.

If you type like a quad-amputee and claim that you have dyslexia, I will translate this into "I could really type with more care but I'm too much of a lazy motherfucker on social welfare to give a shit." Oh please. You make people on social welfare look bad.

Whenever I see someone on the Internet claim dyslexia as the result for his horrendous typing, I call bullshit. Dyslexia is the Aspergers of writing. If you have both dyslexia and Aspergers, translation is that your social skills are lacking and you should stay away from a keyboard. Further than that, you should take a minute to learn to stop blaming your troubles on a bullshit disease that's only genuine in an marginal amount of the population, and start taking care of yourself like you mean it.

You wanna know something? People with dyslexia write well. Uh-huh! You know why? Because they know they have dyslexia, so they run their shit through a spell-checker. Bam! You wouldn't recognize a person with real dyslexia on the Internet because he'd spend a minute to double-check what he's written so he doesn't sound like the rest of the n00bs. I know one of these guys. He's at the job. He's sitting two cubes away from me. Guess what? His writing, on average, is better than most of the other employees. Why? Because he's careful. Because he knows he won't punch in the words right on the first go, so he reads his own text again and again to make sure this is what he meant. He'll screw up his sentences only when he's in a big hurry or I'm chatting with him and he knows he can be a bit more lenient because I understand which errors he most commonly does and can easily work around them.

Strangely enough, this'll probably fall on deaf ears. Those who are concerned by this problem won't bother to read past two sentences of this post.

Sad, sad world we live in.

Solstis
Feb 17, 2009, 12:56 PM
Or they'll read the last two sentences and babble about how offended they are, and how it's the Internet, lol.

Something that makes you question their parenting.

(oh, and interesting perspective on the whole dylsexic situation. I mean, Firefox just told me that I spelled dyslexic incorrectly)

Aisha379
Feb 17, 2009, 01:07 PM
At first I thought you were being a little harsh, but:

You wanna know something? People with dyslexia write well. Uh-huh! You know why? Because they know they have dyslexia, so they run their shit through a spell-checker. Bam! You wouldn't recognize a person with real dyslexia on the Internet because he'd spend a minute to double-check what he's written so he doesn't sound like the rest of the n00bs.

...this actually makes a lot of sense.

Seems like if someone really had dyslexia they'd take even more steps than most people to make sure their words are coming across clearly...

Good post.

Tessu
Feb 17, 2009, 01:23 PM
Once again, I've got to agree entirely. Dyslexia seems to be something that a LOT of people think they can self-diagnose, and then use it as an excuse to misspell the same word 8 times.

I can't stand people self-diagnosing things like this. Like "Oh, I'm really energetic, so I have ADHD!" or "Oh, I have some issues spelling, I have dyslexia!"

CelestialBlade
Feb 17, 2009, 01:56 PM
Unfortunately we live in a world where psychiatrists have us believe that we're all going insane and that everything is a "disorder," and that we can just pop some pill and we'll be "normal" (and have you ever heard a definition of normal?). It's sick. There's people now that are perfectly functional human beings but because of how we love to label things we don't think are "right," these people think they're diseased and because of that mentality, they think they can't function as normal human beings and need to pay a psychiatrist tons of money to be made "normal." What the fuck, world.

I don't know enough about dyslexia to really comment to this post directly, so I won't. But I can say that this is very similar to this ADD/ADHD epidemic that so many kids now think they have. I'm willing to bet that maybe 5-10% of kids who claim to have ADD or ADHD actually have a chemical imbalance. The annoying part is, their parents can claim it pretty much without any proof, and their kids will instantly get the un-timed tests and the special classes and all this stuff. Just bugs me.

Lance813
Feb 17, 2009, 02:08 PM
1 ty3e gud.

Seriously, "l33t" should die a painful, slow death.

Kylie
Feb 17, 2009, 03:37 PM
You should exercise caution on this subject. Yes, people get misdiagnosed with stuff like this, AS, ADD, depression, etc. all the time; but how can you assume that's the case? If you're not a doctor that's examined them personally, it's not your place. I have a very dear friend that genuinely has AS, and some asshole that doesn't even know him tried to start shit like he was lying about his disease as an excuse to be a jerk. You really can't do that.

Well, you can, but it makes you look like an ass.

EDIT: I'm not exactly directing my post at the OP. I'm just reiterating that there are genuine cases out there.

MetaZedlen
Feb 17, 2009, 03:56 PM
I like this topic very much :D

The thing I don't get: why would people take the time to write "I have dyslexia", when instead you can just type the same word (spelled correctly) and just put that little thing called and astrix next to it (not sure if I spelled it right, but whatever, * if your intelligence is lower than 80).

And about the whole ADD thing, I have it to a very weak extent (in which it used to be horrible when I was younger), but the only thing it does to me is that someone can say something to me, I hear it, but I wasn't listening (I hope you can get what I'm saying here), but I don't go around parading that as an excuse for mistakes I make.

Reiteration: Sad, sad world we live in...

SStrikerR
Feb 17, 2009, 04:02 PM
Seriously I agree, you can;t try anyone who says they have ADD/ADHD.
They test 95% of my school for it every single year. The funny thing is, they just get a counselor to stalk everyone for a day and make a good old guess.

At this point normally I'd put but i rly haev dislexxya! in a spoiler, but even I wouldn't dare to fuck around with Kodia, especially after he said not to. Ryan out.

Edit: Same here Zed. I could be in the middle of a conversation and then just start to tune the other person out or focus on something I actually care about.

DreXxiN
Feb 17, 2009, 05:09 PM
I CAN HAS DISLEXIA?

(Seriously, you were asking for it, and you can' harm me through the computer screen. No, you don't have Hax for my IP's. Appearing threatening on the internet is more annoying than typos.)

I think you're getting way too pissy about a trivial subject anyway, lol. I mean do you really have so few problems in your life that someone using an excuse for typos puts you in "RAGE KILLING" mode? I think YOU need to improve your social skills, sir. Not so called "Dyslexic" people. CALM DOWN, Jesus.

What if people happen to be dyslexic...AND lazy typists, hmm? That doesn't exist because the dyslexic people are so INSANELY careful about their typing that they couldn't possibly just not care and hope that people can decipher a few typos into actual meaning right?

My god, I thought my rant about crunching noises was bad.

While you're at it, since dyslexic people can't improve their social skills, you might as well stop wheel-chaired people from playing basketball. "Dude, you REALLY need to get some legs before you play this sport." LOL, are you fucking kidding me?

To top it off, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure we did have a TRULY dyslexic person on these forums, and he even apologized in his signature for having said disorder.

And no, people won't ignore the topic because they don't care about it, they'll ignore it because you presented it as "IM A INTERWEBZ BADASS AND ILL BEAT U UP IF U DUN POST HOW I WANT U 2"

Let's not fuck around with the net bully that has a large e-penor post count because he'll kill us though, right?

Sad world we live in. You might really want to consider getting help if you really have this low of tolerance and acceptance.

On a note about what Chels said, it's pretty much true that ADD can really cause you to lose focus; I was diagnosed with a heavy case of it when I was younger, put on all that crappy medicine that just basically depressed me. However, it is NOT an excuse to escape from every challenge you come by. In fact, the doctor wanted me to be placed in special classes and such, and I seemed to have made it through the prerequisite (Elementary-High school) schooling with no problems in all of the College prep and Advanced courses.

So really, sometimes it's harder, but it's not enough to hinder anyone from a dream. I can tell you that much.

Rasputin
Feb 17, 2009, 05:28 PM
HOLY FUCK, NOT AGAIN, MY HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!

TOO SOON.

SpikeOtacon
Feb 17, 2009, 05:34 PM
I CAN HAS DISLEXIA?

you can' harm me through the computer screen.

LOL, are you fucking kidding me?
correct me if I'm wrong but
I was diagnosed with a heavy case of (a sad sob story here)
I can tell you that much.It's always about you, isn't it?

Gentlemen
Feb 17, 2009, 05:36 PM
I CAN HAS DISLEXIA?

(Seriously, you were asking for it, and you can' harm me through the computer screen. No, you don't have Hax for my IP's. Appearing threatening on the internet is more annoying than typos.)

I think you're getting way too pissy about a trivial subject anyway, lol. I mean do you really have so few problems in your life that someone using an excuse for typos puts you in "RAGE KILLING" mode? I think YOU need to improve your social skills, sir. Not so called "Dyslexic" people. CALM DOWN, Jesus.

What if people happen to be dyslexic...AND lazy typists, hmm? That doesn't exist because the dyslexic people are so INSANELY careful about their typing that they couldn't possibly just not care and hope that people can decipher a few typos into actual meaning right?

While you're at it, since dyslexic people can't improve their social skills, you might as well stop wheel-chaired people from playing basketball. "Dude, you REALLY need to get some legs before you play this sport." LOL, are you fucking kidding me?

To top it off, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure we did have a TRULY dyslexic person on these forums, and he even apologized in his signature for having said disorder.

And no, people won't ignore the topic because they don't care about it, they'll ignore it because you presented it as "IM A INTERWEBZ BADASS AND ILL BEAT U UP IF U DUN POST HOW I WANT U 2"

Let's not fuck around with the net bully that has a large e-penor post count because he'll kill us though, right?

Sad world we live in. You might really want to consider getting help if you really have this low of tolerance and acceptance.

On a note about what Chels said, it's pretty much true that ADD can really cause you to lose focus; I was diagnosed with a heavy case of it when I was younger, put on all that crappy medicine that just basically depressed me. However, it is NOT an excuse to escape from every challenge you come by. In fact, the doctor wanted me to be placed in special classes and such, and I seemed to have made it through the prerequisite (Elementary-High school) schooling with no problems in all of the College prep and Advanced courses.

So really, sometimes it's harder, but it's not enough to hinder anyone from a dream. I can tell you that much.

Did you put your panties on backwards this morning?

Dear Lord calm down yourself down a bit. Keep in mind not every topic here is built around the concept of being nice to every single person ever. If someone has a problem they vent it here but, you know, it's fine if you tell them they're wrong too. It's not like this is subjective or anything.

Sinue_v2
Feb 17, 2009, 08:16 PM
http://turnwall.net/images/uploads/graf_thumb.gif

That's how I roll.

SStrikerR
Feb 17, 2009, 09:06 PM
Everyone ignore the epic trolling post and get back to seriously discussing this. Stop giving the attention-whore what he/shit/it wants. If he wants to act like a big man, let him. But for god's sake, stop giving him reasons to keep posting.

McLaughlin
Feb 18, 2009, 12:36 AM
Hmmm...

I CAN HAS DISLEXIA?

Gee, that was hilarious. (Dyslexia is spelled with a y, by the way.)

For someone telling everybody to calm down over this trivial (read: sign of an incredibly lazy generation of kids with no sense of responsibility, which I think is a huge problem), you sure did get pretty bent out of shape over a post about an allegedly trivial topic.

Then they can blame it on their lazy attitude, not their dyslexia.

Actually, I also find that irritating, but poor etiquette is a subject for another rant.

Er, where'd he say that? All I saw was him say that if someone claims to have Aspergers and Dyslexia that what they actually have is a lack of social skills. Never saw him say they can't be improved upon. In fact, he suggested that that person begin taking proper care of themselves.

Could you quote the bit where Kodia said Dyslexia doesn't exist? I can't seem to find that part.

Sad world we live in. You might really want to consider getting help if you really have this low of tolerance and acceptance. Well gee, look who's donning the mantle of badass now.

Well, at least we know why you always lose your marbles over this menial crap. You actually are chemically imbalanced. At least, that's the only reason I can see for posting that. Unless you were trying to brag...

CelestialBlade
Feb 18, 2009, 12:43 AM
(read: sign of an incredibly lazy generation of kids with no sense of responsibility, which I think is a huge problem)
Agreed, that's what I was trying to allude to in my post. Parents and kids really don't have to take responsibility for anything anymore, everything can just be blamed on a disease and then it's shoved aside. Nobody's ever at fault anymore and it's kinda sickening. I'd go on a rant about how some schools won't even give Fs out anymore, but that's for another day.

DreXxiN
Feb 18, 2009, 02:05 AM
I'm only saying it's offensive because there actually is a member here that is dyslexic, how would it feel to him?

If you have both dyslexia and Aspergers, translation is that your social skills are lacking and you should stay away from a keyboard.

To me that is extremely rude; that's like saying "You don't have the opportunity to do this because you aren't 'normal'" in my eyes, hense why I brought up the basketball statement. It seems related to "I don't want you to be on my team today because you lost your legs last week."

And really, I know in rants you generally aren't in the BEST state, but c'mon, he sounded completely serious about killing someone if they don't reply how he wants them. Is he going to blame that on an anger disorder? lol.

It's always about you, isn't it?

Well I don't exactly like to go around judging other people. I tend to relate to myself most of the time. Is anyone else pointing at other people? I most see people post THEIR opinions in first-person. I see "I'd, Me, Myself" in pretty much every other post here, so what's your point?

Dyslexia is spelled with a "y", by the way.

Jesus, Intended Typo is intended.

I don't really see how I'm "attention-whoring" either; I think I'm on the contrary, being quite honest that if people DO ignore this thread, it's because of how it was presented.

Vanzazikon
Feb 18, 2009, 02:08 AM
And really, I know in rants you generally aren't in the BEST state, but c'mon, he sounded completely serious about killing someone if they don't reply how he wants them. Is he going to blame that on an anger disorder? lol.Well, there's only one way to find out if he wasn't kidding and YOU know what to do. :wacko: (Seriously, I won't do it, Kodia will tear my ass apart. >>;; )

DreXxiN
Feb 18, 2009, 02:13 AM
I'm simply stating my opinion, not attention-whoring. If my post was attention whoring then I guess every OP is an attention whore by thinking of a clever topic name. Pretty sure that's to draw attention.

Anyway, to top off my argument I want to state that I do know that he's aware that dyslexic people exist, but it really seems like he's saying that anyone with constant typos that claims they have dyslexia is a liar, which clearly is not the case.

Rasputin
Feb 18, 2009, 02:40 AM
Hey, could you stop being dyslexic for a sec? I'm not too sure what you're trying to say :/

DreXxiN
Feb 18, 2009, 02:45 AM
Oh, sorry, I'll stop being the epic shit troll and start typing with moar accuracy. Gotta control these quadlimbs.

So how about that weather?

Rasputin
Feb 18, 2009, 02:47 AM
Actually, it's been raining here a lot lately, but I think it's supposed to simmer down, which makes me happy. I'm not a fan of the rain.

Commodity
Feb 18, 2009, 03:50 AM
I CAN HAS DISLEXIA?

Woooooosh

KodiaX987
Feb 18, 2009, 08:32 AM
I will step in for a minute and clear up a tiny bit of confusion.

When I said:

If you have both dyslexia and Aspergers, translation is that your social skills are lacking and you should stay away from a keyboard.

In the context of the paragraph, it should be understood as follows:

If you type like shit and show a general lack of manners and social etiquette, and blame it on the so-called fact that you have dyslexia and/or Aspergers, you are not actually afflicted by those problems but you are rather lazy and ignorant and are seeking an escape clause in some half-assed attempt to refuse to improve yourself.

For the ADD-afflicted, in digest form:

Take your matters in your own hands. That's what the real dyslexics did.

TheOneHero
Feb 18, 2009, 01:28 PM
Shuri, haven't you heard? Some of these people also claim it's "shorthand". :disapprove:

DreXxiN
Feb 18, 2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Kodia. That sounds a lot better. Still, it just seems outright unfair that if people actually WERE to have those symtpoms, that they should stay away from a keyboard; just seems like discrimination against an uncontrollable variable in ones life to me. "Don't socialize online because you can't type right" comes to mind.

I guess I'd just feel pretty bad if I was in the dyslexic guys shoes, it'd be embarassing to communicate in an online population.

KodiaX987
Feb 18, 2009, 07:45 PM
You will never recognize a dyslexic person on the Internet at a glance. Dyslexic persons type with one hand and keep a dictionary open with the other.

CrimsomWolf
Feb 19, 2009, 03:42 AM
It's even more annoying when people in real life claim that they're dyslexic, when they're clearly not. They do it, because they won't do their homework, or even listen to subject at class, so they need exstra half hour to full to try and guess answers on the test, as to not look like total morons.

It can give idea to people that most dyslexic people are lazy cheapskate bastards, which is not true. It's the people who pretend to have dyslexia...

Exploited
Feb 23, 2009, 10:36 PM
Unfortunately we live in a world where psychiatrists have us believe that we're all going insane and that everything is a "disorder," and that we can just pop some pill and we'll be "normal" (and have you ever heard a definition of normal?). It's sick. There's people now that are perfectly functional human beings but because of how we love to label things we don't think are "right," these people think they're diseased and because of that mentality, they think they can't function as normal human beings and need to pay a psychiatrist tons of money to be made "normal." What the fuck, world.

I don't know enough about dyslexia to really comment to this post directly, so I won't. But I can say that this is very similar to this ADD/ADHD epidemic that so many kids now think they have. I'm willing to bet that maybe 5-10% of kids who claim to have ADD or ADHD actually have a chemical imbalance. The annoying part is, their parents can claim it pretty much without any proof, and their kids will instantly get the un-timed tests and the special classes and all this stuff. Just bugs me.

Funny, I just saw this new today

Social websites harm children's brains: Chilling warning to parents from top neuroscientist

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1153583/Social-websites-harm-childrens-brains-Chilling-warning-parents-neuroscientist.html

Pheonix123
Feb 24, 2009, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Typheros View Post

I don't know enough about dyslexia to really comment to this post directly, so I won't. But I can say that this is very similar to this ADD/ADHD epidemic that so many kids now think they have. I'm willing to bet that maybe 5-10% of kids who claim to have ADD or ADHD actually have a chemical imbalance. The annoying part is, their parents can claim it pretty much without any proof, and their kids will instantly get the un-timed tests and the special classes and all this stuff. Just bugs me.[/url]

Yeah, imagine what the kid who actually has to deal with that feels as well. Sometimes, parents, they'll do anything won't they? *SIDE NOTE: Believe it or not, I was misdiagnosed over 4 times in my life, everything from ADD to Emotionally disturbed and it feels kinda........wrong considering I don't even USE any of those "extras" that are given, like "Alternate Testing Environment" and "Extended Time", its all just a load of BS if you ask me

UnderscoreX
Feb 26, 2009, 04:10 PM
I wonder how many of the people who agree with Kodia have defended the "dyslexic" guy on this site. Band wagons are a hell of a thing.

Vanzazikon
Feb 26, 2009, 04:19 PM
I don't think this thread was targeting people who were diagnosed with Dyslexia. Kodia was targeting people who claimed they were Dyslexic to give an excuse for their laziness in typing words correctly.

Outrider
Feb 26, 2009, 05:07 PM
I don't think this thread was targeting people who were diagnosed with Dyslexia. Kodia was targeting people who claimed they were Dyslexic to give an excuse for their laziness in typing words correctly.

Y'see, that would have required for these people to have read the entirety of Kodia's first post, which is obviously far too much trouble for them.

You'd think that the title, "You are not dyslexic", would be enough to explain that he's calling out people who claim to be dyslexic but really aren't, but no, apparently not.

SStrikerR
Feb 28, 2009, 08:55 AM
Yeah, imagine what the kid who actually has to deal with that feels as well. Sometimes, parents, they'll do anything won't they? *SIDE NOTE: Believe it or not, I was misdiagnosed over 4 times in my life, everything from ADD to Emotionally disturbed and it feels kinda........wrong considering I don't even USE any of those "extras" that are given, like "Alternate Testing Environment" and "Extended Time", its all just a load of BS if you ask me
Actually my school uses both of them. The alternate testing env. is basically what they check when someone decides to cheat and gets put in a little white room with no doors. Extended time is just what the give you if you don't finish on time. *raises hand*
But I learned not to expect that from the SATs, no extended time when I took it.

fay
Feb 28, 2009, 09:20 AM
for a start i know im not the best speller in the world. heck. i failed english in my primary school, high school and college twice.
so i know im a bad speller

however i hate people like you who are pure disrespectfull fuckers. not everyone has the best spelling etc in the world. maby you done well at school. doesnt mean that everyone done well.

something i find funny aswell. when someone from america says check your spelling when the way you write your words are clearly different from the way the uk spells them.
eg. america - center.
UK - centre
its not that part though. its when they say learn to spell properly. then i just sit back and laugh because english was from the UK. the way the americans do it is just like a pure rip off because they cant get their own.

and btw im not trying to diss anyone from america about the different spelling things but i thoughs it should be mentioned

now 1337 talk. yes i agree this should go.

i couldnt care less about peoples spelling so i dont see why you shoudl either.
as i said before. not everyone is as good as you are maby, so get over yourself

Vanzazikon
Feb 28, 2009, 02:19 PM
for a start i know im not the best speller in the world. heck. i failed english in my primary school, high school and college twice.

however i hate people like you who are pure disrespectfull fuckers. not everyone has the best spelling etc in the world. maby you done well at school. doesnt mean that everyone done well.

something i find funny aswell. when someone from america says check your spelling when the way you write your words are clearly different from the way the uk spells them.
eg. america - center.
UK - centre
its not that part though. its when they say learn to spell properly. then i just sit back and laugh because english was from the UK. the way the americans do it is just like a pure rip off because they cant get their own.

and btw im not trying to diss anyone from america about the different spelling things but i thoughs it should be mentioned

as i said before. not everyone is as good as you are maby, so get over yourselfHave you ever claimed yourself dyslexic when people asked you to spell correctly? If not, this thread isn't about you. >_>

Man, Outrider was right.

McLaughlin
Feb 28, 2009, 03:05 PM
Have you ever claimed yourself dyslexic when people asked you to spell correctly? If not, this thread isn't about you. >_>

Man, Outrider was right.

This is not the only example of Outrider's correctness.

Also, spelling and grammar are two different things. You don't need to know how to spell "Shift" and "Apostrophe" to know when to use them.

autumn
Feb 28, 2009, 08:02 PM

eg. america - center.
UK - centre

as i said before. not everyone is as good as you are maby, so get over yourself

Slightly off topic here. Grammar, contrary to what seems to be your belief, is not a way to show you are 'better then someone else'. I cannot understand why it is so much effort to type like a reasonable thinking person as soon as they get on the internet. Do you know to capitalize the first word of a sentence? How about 'I'? Even if the intricacies of punctuation didn't stick after school let out periods and commas are pretty standard and run-of-the-mill things. Why is it that someone who was little patience with others who cannot use the basics of communication are treated as if they are know-it-all? The problem isn't the people who know how to communicate, its the whining masses who are too lazy to do so.

End mini-rant. I'm sorry for derailing and I deserve a boot to the head.

fay
Feb 28, 2009, 08:28 PM
Slightly off topic here. Grammar, contrary to what seems to be your belief, is not a way to show you are 'better then someone else'. I cannot understand why it is so much effort to type like a reasonable thinking person as soon as they get on the internet. Do you know to capitalize the first word of a sentence? How about 'I'? Even if the intricacies of punctuation didn't stick after school let out periods and commas are pretty standard and run-of-the-mill things. Why is it that someone who was little patience with others who cannot use the basics of communication are treated as if they are know-it-all? The problem isn't the people who know how to communicate, its the whining masses who are too lazy to do so.

End mini-rant. I'm sorry for derailing and I deserve a boot to the head.

i did know to use a capital at the start of a sentance. reason i dont do it often is because when i do i type at less than half the speed i type at just now.

capital "i". nope. never heard of this.

commas - no idea when to use them

what ever this ' thing is - no idea when to use these

as i said im my last post. i just simple suck and spelling and am even worse with grammer. i admit i suck at these yet some people dont understand and complain that because i cant do these as wel as they can they see me as less of a person.

this happens so often that i know you will have seen it somewhere.
someone posts a topic for help of some sort. next few replys say. learn to type first. seriously. what the fuck is the point in that. not only did you not answer the question they asked or keep on topic but you also managed to more or less have a go at the person for somethign that is probably not his fault.

as said in the above paragraph. if you are one of these people that do this then i really hope you go die a slow painfull death. its not right to treat people unfairly because they arent as good as you at something

Sidney
Feb 28, 2009, 08:54 PM
Ignorance is not an excuse; learn when to apply grammatical concepts. If you don't know how to utilize grammar, then take the time out to understand it. If you don't do so, it moves beyond ignorance and simply becomes laziness. The fact it is "hard" is not an excuse, because written communication is such an essential skill in life. You cannot avoid it. It's worth the extra effort to learn it.

Personally, I see bad grammar and spelling as rude. It's like the person doesn't care enough to make what they say legible for someone else. It's easy to correct spelling, especially in this computer era. It's called spell-check. If you struggle with spelling, it's downright lazy not to use it. If you want people to respect what you say, then you have to present it in an acceptable way. Simple as that!

Rust
Feb 28, 2009, 10:15 PM
Y'know, back when I got the internet and joined my first message boards (which happened to be about PSO, heh), I almost immediately began to type really bad, with 'wrong' spelling and stuff. Why that? Because that's what the masses were doing, and I didn't want to look out of place. As soon as I left that board and began to hang on some smaller community ones, my spelling and punctuation went back to normal by itself (yeah, writing properly is normal, even though it doesn't look like it's the norm). Now, I don't even use think about putting Caps, or commas, or anything else when I'm typing ; it's pretty natural.

About one year ago, a friend who was a mod on that PSO board at that time sent me old links from when I was still on there. I've been able to read my posts. Their content wasn't much more stupid than what I could write nowadays, but they all sounded as if they were written by a blatantly low-IQ person ; I wanted to slap myself in the face just through reading those posts. :disapprove:

What gets me even more, is that I had started to post a D&D fanfic on there, and it was written with perfect grammar and spelling, with even vocabulary that the "smart" people on there (the few who were writing properly all the time) didn't even know. That left them on the butt. That's probably what makes me hate that period of my internet existence the most : I was able to write properly, but didn't do it just because writing like a dumbass was "cool" (which actually was far from being so).

capital "i". nope. never heard of this.

Hum, what? I'm not even a native english-speaker and I know about this simple and basic grammar rule...

someone posts a topic for help of some sort. next few replys say. learn to type first. seriously. what the fuck is the point in that. not only did you not answer the question they asked or keep on topic but you also managed to more or less have a go at the person for somethign that is probably not his fault.

First of all, how can you decently answer to a question you don't even understand?
Come on, you can just look three or four threads down this one, and you'll find one where the OP looks like some kind of forgotten cryptic idioma.

Second point, I think not taking the time to check your spelling, or at least write something with a clear meaning, is as much disrespectful as all the trolling such a poorly-written message usually brings. If you make sure your message doesn't contain any of the former, then the latter, even though it won't completely vanish (welcome to the internet), will immediately become less relevant.
It's a fact: you can write the smartest stuff you ever made, if it's full of typos, wrong grammar and random mistakes, nobody will ever gonna take it seriously. When writing an internship report or a thesis, you're expected to write it properly, and nobody cares about whether you find it difficult or not. Same goes when you're looking for a job, most likely you'll be taken out if the small letter you write along with your CV is handled like shit. And don't serve me the "Those are serious stuff, but it isn't needed on message boards about a video game." idiocy ; if you're willing to write properly to apply for a job or do some university work, then you should do it as well on everything else. Because you aren't going to get paid or graded for a post doesn't mean the people who are going to read it aren't deserving the same respect.

Last but not least, unless the people you're talking about really got brain issues or mental disorder (in which case they probably would be better off those boards, to begin with), yes, it's their fault. You're taught grammar and spelling in school for a reason. Like it or not, but if someone have difficulties with those, they got to try harder. If you take on whichever classes/university major later on and find it hard, it's the same ; you'll have to try harder. You won't be able to use this lame excuse in order to justify a failed test, you know.
Sorry to be harsh, but that's how it works. If you encounter a difficulty, you have to overcome it. The 'too hard' card isn't going to work all the time ; actually, it doesn't work in most situations.

astuarlen
Feb 28, 2009, 10:30 PM
Is it worthwhile to point out that these latest complaints (esp. re: fay's post) are a matter of punctuation and orthography rather than grammar? Not that I hope to stop this little trainwreck.

KodiaX987
Feb 28, 2009, 11:00 PM
Nah, let it roll. I could use the popcorn. Watching people dig their own graves as they speak is a work of classic comedy.

Sidney
Feb 28, 2009, 11:18 PM
While the punctuation errors were most abundant, there were plenty of grammatical errors; misuse of verb tenses most notably. (I also spied a place where an adverb should have been used, as well as some inconsistencies with 3rd/2nd person.) The point is not to nitpick, though. I just firmly believe unless you have a medical condition that limits your abilities in this area, that there is no reason you should not put as much effort as you can into perfecting your written communication skills. It's not one of those skills that should be blown off.

If people want to embrace denying their full potential out of sheer laziness, that is fine with me. I don't respect laziness, though.

CelestialBlade
Mar 1, 2009, 03:42 AM
What makes spelling and grammar especially important on the internet is the fact that it is your single interface with the rest of the internet. You don't have body and facial language to go off of, so the quality of your thoughts and expressions can only be as good as the quality of your language. It is your primary and only interface with other people here, so it's absolutely important that if you want to sound intelligent and if you want people to take you seriously, you take a little time to make it look right. I'm not much of a grammar nazi most of the time, but I think it's pretty obvious when people show that they don't care about the quality of their online communication.

fay
Mar 1, 2009, 08:01 AM
i have never been officially called dyslexic but even at that heres some of things you have said which still i have no idea about

captial I - never heard of it
verb - no idea what this is
abverb - no idea what this is

but as someone in this topic ( i think the OP) said. if someone claims to be dyslexic he calls bullshit. so even though im not saying i am how is it right for people to start telling me to type properly when i just dont know how to? as i said before. i failed english in promary school, high school and college twice. i have never passed english in my life.
plain fact. i just suck at it!

i dont think you guys are quite catching on to what im saying here. its not about how bad the persons spelling and grammer is. what im saying is i find it wrong that you all put people down instead of trying to work out what they mean and help them. if they cant help it then theres no reason you should try be friendly too them. unless your someone thats always going to be rude to people not so lucky

i live in a part of the country where more than half of the people type in this type of slang, shortened down words. ill be honest. even when reading what they type like that. yes its hard for even me to understand it but instead of abusing them over it saying learn to type first. ill reply normally and answer what they wish to know. is that so hard to do?

McLaughlin
Mar 1, 2009, 01:24 PM
You don't need to know the terms. You know to capitalize (hit the Shift key and the letter) the first letter of a sentence, and whenever "I" is by itself, you have to capitalize that as well.

If you want people to care about what you have to say, make it look like you care about what you're saying.

Outrider
Mar 1, 2009, 02:05 PM
i have never been officially called dyslexic but even at that heres some of things you have said which still i have no idea about

abverb - no idea what this is

but as someone in this topic ( i think the OP) said. if someone claims to be dyslexic he calls bullshit. so even though im not saying i am how is it right for people to start telling me to type properly when i just dont know how to? as i said before. i failed english in promary school, high school and college twice. i have never passed english in my life.
plain fact. i just suck at it!

i dont think you guys are quite catching on to what im saying here. its not about how bad the persons spelling and grammer is. what im saying is i find it wrong that you all put people down instead of trying to work out what they mean and help them. if they cant help it then theres no reason you should try be friendly too them. unless your someone thats always going to be rude to people not so lucky

i live in a part of the country where more than half of the people type in this type of slang, shortened down words. ill be honest. even when reading what they type like that. yes its hard for even me to understand it but instead of abusing them over it saying learn to type first. ill reply normally and answer what they wish to know. is that so hard to do?

I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't see how any school would allow somebody to graduate who doesn't know that they have to capitalize the letter 'I' whenever it's by itself. What kind of degree did you get that didn't require you to write any papers?

McLaughlin
Mar 1, 2009, 02:25 PM
Better yet, is English not required to get your high school diploma?

CelestialBlade
Mar 1, 2009, 03:10 PM
Well now that we live in an age where schools are literally afraid to fail students because the parents will freaking *sue the school*....ugh, don't get me started on THAT rant.

I think it's pretty easy to tell when someone can't help how they speak and when someone is just being lazy. You can't tell me you've never heard of capitalizing the letter I, or you apparently never passed kindergarten. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's one of the most basic fundamentals of the English language. And as Obsidian said, it doesn't matter what the terms are called. If you acknowledge WHAT they are, it means you evidently have some grasp on them.

Vanzazikon
Mar 1, 2009, 05:11 PM

abverb - no idea what this ishttp://www.merriam-webster.com/

Here's your chance to learn.

plain fact. i just suck at it!And you laughed at Americans for asking you to type properly because your country created the English language. If you're going to take pride off something at less be good at it.

Failure means a lot of things, but in this case do you know what it means? Failure in this case means a lack of success. Basically that means you were unsuccessful in English. This can be overcome by simply studying and reading. Just because you failed doesn't mean you should quit and have the mentality that you just suck at writing properly. Learn and overcome your failure and succeed. Then, make a proper argument.

i dont think you guys are quite catching on to what im saying here. its not about how bad the persons spelling and grammer is. what im saying is i find it wrong that you all put people down instead of trying to work out what they mean and help them. if they cant help it then theres no reason you should try be friendly too them. unless your someone thats always going to be rude to people not so luckyTrue, its bad for anybody to put down someone for their inability for something; however, if you're going to make a complaint or argument, make it look formal so your audience will think you're being serious. Showmanship is one of the main component in writing. An argument in the form of writing is supposed to convince the readers to see what the author is trying to point out on one aspect of a subject. In this case, you're arguing for the people who cannot write properly and are being made fun because of it. If you want to convince us, make it look professional so we can see what you're trying to point out. If you're going to continue writing like a 4th grader, then it's like we're seeing a 4th grader complaining about something. And I'll let you figure out why we don't want to read a 4th grader's work.

i live in a part of the country where more than half of the people type in this type of slang, shortened down words. ill be honest. even when reading what they type like that. yes its hard for even me to understand it but instead of abusing them over it saying learn to type first. ill reply normally and answer what they wish to know. is that so hard to do?I agree, during IMs and chats with friends around your community, it's okay to type as you see fit, but this isn't your side of the country. This is a forum, and to make it worse, it's in the rants section. In this environment, writing properly is highly recommended. In fact, it's required in other websites as well. It's like if you're talking to your employer or professor through Email. You wouldn't type to him/her, "aye im sick 2day so im goin to be absent aight." Learn your atmospheres so you can communicate better aight. ;)

Blitzkommando
Mar 1, 2009, 05:53 PM
Sloth is an awful attribute. The idea of bragging about being lazy is much akin to bragging about having syphilis and is an instant warning to avoid the person in question.

fay
Mar 1, 2009, 06:44 PM
Better yet, is English not required to get your high school diploma?

schools in the uk work different. we dont get diplomas or anything. we get those types of things in college
when you finish school you ALWAYS get a certificate wither you pass or not.

lets say i was doing 6 subjects in school. if i pass all 6 then all 6 say pass on my certificate. if i pass 3 then 3 will say pass and 3 will say fail. if i fail all 6 then it says that on it.
even if i failed all 6 subjects i still pass my school days.

from what i see you american schools are a lot more strict. also it appears you schools do our college courses maby. thats where we get higher national certificated and higher national diplomas. we get our degrees at university.

typheros - we dont get that kindergarten thing here.

vanzazikon - if you read what i said then you would see that all though i said i find it kind of funny i do not take pride in it what so ever. i havent bothered to try learning it again because i failed 4 times! seriously im never gonna be able to pass it. i simply dont go wel with it. maths is the subject im good at. i dont mean to sound big headed here but at math i could probably beat most of you on here at that. just like you all would beat me at english. its in my family. my dads side sucks at english and my mums suck at maths. i take after my dads side
also as one more thing. i dont know what you think but im actually trying pretty damn hard to write as well as i can through all of this yet i know you still probably thing im ripping the piss. see my point?

SpikeOtacon
Mar 1, 2009, 06:56 PM
It's not that hard to hit the shift key. All of the sob stories and paragraphs in the world aren't keeping your finger from moving a few inches.

CelestialBlade
Mar 1, 2009, 06:58 PM
It's not that hard to hit the shift key. All of the sob stories and paragraphs in the world aren't keeping your finger from moving a few inches.
And just....spending less time making excuses and more time realizing what a simple act it is. Your background doesn't really keep you from going to the shift key.

fay
Mar 1, 2009, 08:04 PM
look im just gonna keep quiet now. i wasnt even trying to start a conversation on my spelling in the first place.

i was just trying to put my point forward of whenever someone doesnt spell something right then you all shouldnt put them down for it.

iv been on forums for probably 10 years now. the psu community forums. actually only this one and the official forums are the only one who actually cared about this.
yes you may actually be really smart people. im not saying you arent but from my point of view. where as you are smart. you are also very rude to people. you all just need to chill out on putting people down all the time for stuff

not only do i see it as rude but i loose any respect i had for a person once they do this.

SpikeOtacon
Mar 1, 2009, 08:23 PM
look im just gonna keep quiet now. i wasnt even trying to start a conversation on my spelling in the first place.

i was just trying to put my point forward of whenever someone doesnt spell something right then you all shouldnt put them down for it.

iv been on forums for probably 10 years now. the psu community forums. actually only this one and the official forums are the only one who actually cared about this.
yes you may actually be really smart people. im not saying you arent but from my point of view. where as you are smart. you are also very rude to people. you all just need to chill out on putting people down all the time for stuff.

not only do i see it as rude but i loose any respect i had for a person once they do this.

And I "loose" any respect I had for a person when they make so many stupid and careless mistakes. And I didn't even point out all of them!

TheOneHero
Mar 1, 2009, 08:26 PM
Behold the might of the red pen! He comes for you in the niiiight~~~

http://www.redpen.com/img/redpen.jpg

Nitro Vordex
Mar 1, 2009, 08:28 PM
So from what I'm seeing, the UK schools are like the easy button?

Jeez, and they call Americans stupid. :/

Gentlemen
Mar 1, 2009, 08:34 PM

Maybe Fay is just pushing the easy button?

Blitzkommando
Mar 1, 2009, 08:56 PM

Well, you're talking about the same country that feels apostrophes are too confusing and should be banned from street signs (http://www.birminghampost.net/news/west-midlands-news/2009/01/29/birmingham-city-council-bans-apostrophes-from-road-signs-65233-22805913/) in one of their major cities.

KodiaX987
Mar 1, 2009, 10:37 PM
Lock this shit. We're through.

AlexCraig
Mar 1, 2009, 10:41 PM
Locked per request.