PDA

View Full Version : Very Quick Sega Saturn Question

SuperChoco
Feb 20, 2009, 12:15 AM
Can you play imported sega saturn games on a US saturn?
Thanks in advance

Weeaboolits
Feb 20, 2009, 12:49 AM
No, it's region locked, so you either modify it or buy a Saturn from the proper region.

Inazuma
Feb 20, 2009, 01:08 AM
there are also a few devices that plug into the saturn's cartridge slot that can let you play jp games on your american system

Kent
Feb 20, 2009, 01:30 AM
You need a modded system or a device to let you boot games from a different region. I'm fairly certain you can use a GameShark, if you have one.

Kesubei
Feb 20, 2009, 02:13 AM
If you have a Pro Action Replay, I believe you can play almost all Saturn games, regardless of the system's region. Play-Asia seems to have some: Pro Action Replay (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-k8-49-en-70-1b2.html).

jShazBot
Feb 20, 2009, 03:41 AM
If you have a Pro Action Replay, I believe you can play almost all Saturn games, regardless of the system's region. Play-Asia seems to have some: Pro Action Replay (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-k8-49-en-70-1b2.html).

I know game hacking devices like Game Genie and Gameshark were out during Saturns time. I don't think "Action Replay" was out yet though...

...If you had a Sega Saturn Emulator would you even have to worry about the region the game your playing is from?

Zarode
Feb 20, 2009, 04:12 AM
Working Saturn Emulators are tough to come by. Try to remember: The Saturn was the PS3 of its time.

amtalx
Feb 20, 2009, 08:23 AM
I know game hacking devices like Game Genie and Gameshark were out during Saturns time. I don't think "Action Replay" was out yet though...

...If you had a Sega Saturn Emulator would you even have to worry about the region the game your playing is from?

Actually, it is an Action Replay. I have one for my Saturn. :p And yes, one of those carts will allow you to play imports.

Cracka_J
Feb 20, 2009, 09:18 AM
Gameshark will play imports 100%.
I had that, and a cartridge called "sega satellite" I got with xmen vs street fighter.

The problem you will encounter if trying to play capcom imports that require the 4meg cart boost pack is that it requires you to swap out the current cartridge loader and swap in the 4 meg cart extremely fast. It can be done, but it is a hassle and will put wear on your cartridge slot.

The better option for those games, is of course buying a jp saturn or a mod. That way you can just have the 4 meg cart loaded in there without having to swap anything.

Kesubei
Feb 20, 2009, 09:33 AM
Gameshark will play imports 100%.
I had that, and a cartridge called "sega satellite" I got with xmen vs street fighter.

The problem you will encounter if trying to play capcom imports that require the 4meg cart boost pack is that it requires you to swap out the current cartridge loader and swap in the 4 meg cart extremely fast. It can be done, but it is a hassle and will put wear on your cartridge slot.

The better option for those games, is of course buying a jp saturn or a mod. That way you can just have the 4 meg cart loaded in there without having to swap anything.

The Action Replay that I linked to is a converter with the 4MB and the 1MB built-in.

Cracka_J
Feb 20, 2009, 09:40 AM
The Action Replay that I linked to is a converter with the 4MB and the 1MB built-in.

ooh...I should probably snag one of those!
nice find.

Ceresa
Feb 20, 2009, 03:39 PM
I have the pro action replay 4in1, it's always been a problematic piece of shit.

I have to wiggle it in, blow on it, take it out and put it back in like a dozen times before the Saturn finally recognizes it, it's like a goddamn NES cart. Does seem to work for a long time as long as you leave it in though. It's a crap memory card too, it doesn't allow you to save directly to the cart, you have to save to Saturn internal memory, then transfer that to the cart, or from the cart and back in the PAR menus at startup. Gets tedious pretty fast if you have a lot of games you want to play that take a lot of memory to save.

Assuming your pc isn't older then a Saturn, just get the SSF emulator, it's compatibility list is very high, and it plays all the big dogs without any region locking to deal with. It also emulates saturn internal and external memory data. Plus save states and controller support and all that.

amtalx
Feb 20, 2009, 04:49 PM
I have an Action Replay and its left its slot once in about 8 years. Never had any issues with it being read properly. :/ The slots on Saturns are known for going bad. I'd avoid taking it out at all.

Inazuma
Feb 20, 2009, 07:16 PM
I have the pro action replay 4in1, it's always been a problematic piece of shit.

I have to wiggle it in, blow on it, take it out and put it back in like a dozen times before the Saturn finally recognizes it, it's like a goddamn NES cart. Does seem to work for a long time as long as you leave it in though. It's a crap memory card too, it doesn't allow you to save directly to the cart, you have to save to Saturn internal memory, then transfer that to the cart, or from the cart and back in the PAR menus at startup. Gets tedious pretty fast if you have a lot of games you want to play that take a lot of memory to save.

Assuming your pc isn't older then a Saturn, just get the SSF emulator, it's compatibility list is very high, and it plays all the big dogs without any region locking to deal with. It also emulates saturn internal and external memory data. Plus save states and controller support and all that.

i own 3 saturns and they all act the same way you described. thats just how all saturns are. best advice is to leave the cartridge in place and dont touch it, but ive noticed that putting them in ALMOST all the way down usually works. put it in all the way down, then just pull it up slightly.

Sharkyland
Feb 20, 2009, 11:04 PM
I have the pro action replay one as well for the Sega Saturn.

For mine to work, I have to push it all the way and then slightly pull it out. The only game I seem to have problem playing right now is Golden Axe: The Duel (both US & JP) but that's really not a high priority type game that I want to play.

Apone
Feb 21, 2009, 07:26 PM
if your brave you can diisassemble your saturn and slightly push out each pin in the cartridge slot its a pain in the butt but it works. also try getting a pencil eraser and rubbing the leads on the cartridge itself to remove any corrosion. Blowing in the machine could be bad unless its canned air because the moisture in your breath can speed up corrosion.
I remember cart swapping, that was a pain but I managed to snag a Japanese Saturn off of a buddy of mine so no worries there.
I love my Saturn(s) but that lithium battery... uggg I dont even bother with that anymore and use a memory cart which waa actually necessary for some games as their save files were too large for the internal memory (warcraft lol)

SuperChoco
Feb 22, 2009, 01:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I now know what to do.

Vitamin_D
Feb 23, 2009, 01:01 AM
i own 3 saturns and they all act the same way you described. thats just how all saturns are. best advice is to leave the cartridge in place and dont touch it, but ive noticed that putting them in ALMOST all the way down usually works. put it in all the way down, then just pull it up slightly.

Yeah, I have 2 Saturns here myself (long story haha...) and this applies to both of them. It's a hassle when the cartridge gets out of place, but it's worth it in the long run.

Cell132
Feb 26, 2009, 10:09 AM

Really? I should try that. I'm on my second Saturn, (Was about to go onto my third, *Laugh*) and I have that problem. I just recently got Burning Rangers, and Christmas NiGHTS, so I was pretty ticked when I found out they don't work.

Christmas NiGHTS I could live without, (I have the US copy.) but I was syched bout finally playin Burning Rangers, after it took so long ta find a copy.