PDA

View Full Version : Remember that Vitual On trademark renewal?

Kent
Feb 24, 2009, 11:46 PM
http://kotaku.com/5159889/virtual-on-for-xbox-360-its-on

Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram for the Xbox Live Arcade is official. Online play will probably be in, being that it's primarily a versus game, and it might even keep in the customization options from the Japanese release.

Maybe all those other Dreamcast-era trademarks they've renewed recently will make similar appearances this year - or perhaps they're planning something huge for the Dreamcast's tenth anniversary this September. Personally, I'm rooting for ChuChu Rocket on WiiWare (how perfect would that be?).

SpikeOtacon
Feb 25, 2009, 12:03 AM
Yes.

Yes.

YES.

I'd also like to see some of those other games mentioned brought back to life. Good to see Cosmic Smash on that list, I enjoyed that little game.

Syanaide
Feb 25, 2009, 01:38 AM
JET GRIND RADIO PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ KK SEGA I LOV U 4 REAL

Dragwind
Feb 25, 2009, 01:51 AM
Oh wow, that's perfect. I recently found my old pc copy of Virtual On, and was getting all nostalgic. It would be great to play this on my 360.

Syl
Feb 25, 2009, 03:02 AM
JET GRIND RADIO PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ KK SEGA I LOV U 4 REAL

SEGA DO THIS PLOX

Immovable One
Feb 25, 2009, 03:14 AM
Hopefully, like how Sega released Ghost Squad and House of the Dead 2 &3 Return before making Overkill, releasing Oratorio Tangram would be their way of testing the current market for a mech dueling game before they eventually make a true next gen version.

That or a port of Border Break.
or Valkyria Chronicles
or Virtua Fighter 5R
Please?

Cracka_J
Feb 25, 2009, 08:48 AM
VO:OT was a really fun, underrated game. Would probably work perfect with 360's dual analog support, and at 1200 m$ points, it's a bargain deal.

For anyone that hasn't played it and enjoys mech style shooters, it's a very enjoyable game.

Outrider
Feb 25, 2009, 10:59 AM
Oh, sweet!

I loved the original Virtual On and never got around to trying this one. I'll most likely be picking this up.

Puppet_Papaya
Feb 25, 2009, 11:47 AM
and it might even keep in the customization options from the Japanese release.
YES! YES! YES!
I would buy a 360 for this! (I'd buy one anyway, though, if I had the money.) I'm all for the 360 becoming the new home for Dreamcast games.

Vitamin_D
Feb 25, 2009, 12:51 PM
Oh shit! Virtual on! I'm downloading this for SURE. My brother and I played the hell out of the Saturn and Dreamcast games, and the Arcade game was a blast.

amtalx
Feb 25, 2009, 01:34 PM

Sorry I had to go change my pants after hearing that. VOOT is one of my favorite fighting games of all time. Its just so hard to find people to play against. The learning curve is brutal so introducing people to the series is always rocky. An online component would make finding people to play much easier than inviting people over and being all "Let me wail on your face for a few hours why to desperately attempt to grasp this game."

Inazuma
Feb 25, 2009, 01:40 PM
i know the xbox 360 pad's dual analog sticks would work fine for the game but has there been any mention of releasing an adapter for the dreamcast or saturn twin stick controllers?

Kesubei
Feb 25, 2009, 03:31 PM
I read this yesterday. It is indeed great news, especially if it sparks interested in the franchise in the USA. It's been a long while since we've seen a proper instalment. I hope they release a PS3 version as well. In this age, where exclusivity means losing money, it would be a mistake not to put it on the PS3.

Regarding Chu Chu Rocket: My Dreamcast still works well enough for me to have some impromptu CCR sessions with friends. It doesn't affect me if they decide to release it for other systems.

If they do remake it, I hope they don't restrict it to one or two systems. Chu Chu Rocket is a very simple game. It should be released on every viable system out today, and made so that people across systems could play with each other.

Outrider
Feb 25, 2009, 03:57 PM
i know the xbox 360 pad's dual analog sticks would work fine for the game but has there been any mention of releasing an adapter for the dreamcast or saturn twin stick controllers?

I honestly can't think of any reason they would ever do that. Ever.

Now, is there a small chance that the game could be popular enough that MadCatz or Hori or somebody would make a twin stick controller?

Sure, although it's almost impossibly small. Judging by the fact that game is due out in April in Japan almost certainly guarantees that this will be a fun release for fans and a nice surprise to new-comers, but most certainly not a full-on hype-tastic second coming.

Kesubei
Feb 25, 2009, 06:53 PM
I honestly can't think of any reason they would ever do that. Ever.

Now, is there a small chance that the game could be popular enough that MadCatz or Hori or somebody would make a twin stick controller?

Sure, although it's almost impossibly small. Judging by the fact that game is due out in April in Japan almost certainly guarantees that this will be a fun release for fans and a nice surprise to new-comers, but most certainly not a full-on hype-tastic second coming.

If you or someone you know is good with electronics, you could make your own adapter. It's tough, but I've seen it done.

Kent
Feb 27, 2009, 03:21 PM
An update occurs. Kotaku just posted Sega's trailer for the Xbox Live Arcade game.

http://kotaku.com/5161360/virtual-on-360-the-trailer

Highlights include... Online play and VR customization confirmed. Yay~

amtalx
Feb 27, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hot shit. We also get the 3 Virtuaroids that were unplayable before.

Kent
Feb 27, 2009, 08:07 PM
Some more screenshots have been posted here (http://kotaku.com/5161630/new-virtual-on-xbla-screens-full-of-mechs-appeal). Not quite HD screens, but significantly higher-resolution, and show off just how clean and, dare I say, virtual the game looks... As well as showing, for instance, the fact that you'll be able to see the other person's gamerpic during battle, and the fact that, yes, it's still a Dreamcast the VRs use as a booster system.

Also, to clear things up - looking back at the original announcement article, the game is MSBSv5.66 - with the Dreamcast release being v5.45, so the version we'll be getting for the Xbox Live Arcade isn't a port of the Dreamcast version, but rather, a port of the most up-to-date arcade version released in Japan (though, I'm curious as to why they don't just slap a v5.7 on it).

...I hope we get to still save replays, though - preferrably post them, too.

Immovable One
Feb 27, 2009, 08:24 PM
I heard that the Dreamcast version uses Model 3, while ver. 5.66 uses NAOMI hardware.

Can anyone confirm this?

Kent
Feb 28, 2009, 12:52 AM
I heard that the Dreamcast version uses Model 3, while ver. 5.66 uses NAOMI hardware.

Can anyone confirm this?
Dreamcast version is 5.45. 5.66 was the NAOMI-based arcade release that was released after the Dreamcast version in Japan.

Seira7
Feb 28, 2009, 04:30 PM
Oh My.

Even though I'm on my 3rd console, I feel like going and hugging my 360 right now.
I feel THAT warm and fuzzy inside. This was one of my favorite games on the DC.

Kent
Mar 12, 2009, 04:14 PM
http://kotaku.com/5168878/sega-makes-us-release-of-virtual-on-xbla-official

Sega just confirmed the US Xbox Live Arcade release as "Spring."

Ambiguous as it may be, a release window is confirmed. Yay~

amtalx
Mar 12, 2009, 04:42 PM
I just shot explosive diarrhea all over my office.

Thank you Sega.

Cracka_J
Mar 12, 2009, 04:46 PM
A good thing done by sega?
It cannot be!

Regardless, I'll be waiting patiently for this dl. VO:OT was a hot game, hd gfx will just make it prettier.

Aisha379
Mar 12, 2009, 04:58 PM
I just shot explosive diarrhea all over my office.

Thank you Sega.

That should be Sonic Team's new motto.

VanHalen
Mar 13, 2009, 08:18 AM
An update occurs. Kotaku just posted Sega's trailer for the Xbox Live Arcade game.

http://kotaku.com/5161360/virtual-on-360-the-trailer

Highlights include... Online play and VR customization confirmed. Yay~

This is AWESOME. I was always sad I never had anyone to play this with on Dreamcast since no one I knew could or wanted to know how to play. Except my dad but that was a long time ago. Finally I can get some human competition *dies*.

rayner
Mar 13, 2009, 09:17 AM
Oh My.

Even though I'm on my 3rd console, I feel like going and hugging my 360 right now.
I feel THAT warm and fuzzy inside. This was one of my favorite games on the DC.

I'm on my 5th console now... all from warranty's so no refurbs... the X360 is about to pass the NES as my most unreliable system ever. I had 5 NES systems from 1986 - 1994... with NO warranty, that's how addicted I was to games back then :-)

A Friend of mine is heavily into Virtual-On... to tell you the truth, I never played it, but I will DL it to check it out because of his recommendation.

amtalx
Mar 13, 2009, 09:36 AM
I'm on my 5th console now... all from warranty's so no refurbs... the X360 is about to pass the NES as my most unreliable system ever. I had 5 NES systems from 1986 - 1994... with NO warranty, that's how addicted I was to games back then :-)

A Friend of mine is heavily into Virtual-On... to tell you the truth, I never played it, but I will DL it to check it out because of his recommendation.

Its a bit of an enthusiasts game and has a steep learning curve, so get used to the taste of humble pie if you plan on playing online. :p Still though, incredible game. I wish someone would make that style of fighting game again.

Puppet_Papaya
Mar 13, 2009, 10:31 AM
This is AWESOME. I was always sad I never had anyone to play this with on Dreamcast since no one I knew could or wanted to know how to play. Except my dad but that was a long time ago. Finally I can get some human competition *dies*.

I had the same problem. Granted, the control setup is hella awkward, but once you get used to it, it's like the controller becomes an extension of your own arm!

Kent
Mar 13, 2009, 11:55 AM
I had the same problem. Granted, the control setup is hella awkward, but once you get used to it, it's like the controller becomes an extension of your own arm!
It'd be more accurate to say that the arcade controls are incredibly awkward at first - simply because of how many actions are packed into two joysticks with two buttons each.

The console-style gamepad controls are relatively intuitive, though, as long as you get used to the concept of not manually turning.

Puppet_Papaya
Mar 13, 2009, 05:05 PM
It'd be more accurate to say that the arcade controls are incredibly awkward at first - simply because of how many actions are packed into two joysticks with two buttons each.

The console-style gamepad controls are relatively intuitive, though, as long as you get used to the concept of not manually turning.

I could never get used to turning. I always had to jump to reorient myself. That always bothered me.

Outrider
Mar 15, 2009, 03:56 PM
I could never get used to turning. I always had to jump to reorient myself. That always bothered me.

In the original VO, I would dash and then shoot.

I'd usually end up getting destroyed as a result.

I, uh... I was never very good at that game.

Kent
Mar 15, 2009, 06:01 PM
Right. I'm fairly certain that turning, as it is, is only in the game to allow specific special moves to be executed. The most common tactic used for re-orientation is, of course, jumping then immediately guarding (so you land almost as soon as you take off, resulting in you immediately facing the enemy, but without the airtime. Even the CPU opponents will do this.

In the original VO, I would dash and then shoot.

I'd usually end up getting destroyed as a result.

I, uh... I was never very good at that game.
Part of what I liked about the series was the fact that it was pretty tactical and, despite being a fighting game, wasn't really based as much on twitch reactions (and silly things like frame timing).

More like things such as... Using grenades to destroy enemy projectiles, and timing your attacks so they hit the enemy when they finish dashing or when they land from a jump, which is a big opening... And strategic use of in-fighting and pressure, and liberal applications of dashes and watari (so as to throw off their timing, if they try to catch you at the end of a dash to attack).