PDA

View Full Version : Laser Cannon Question

Darius_Drake
Feb 25, 2009, 03:30 PM
I played a gunner for a while, but initially I ignored the laser cannon in favor of the grenade launcher, rifle, shotgun and the other gun goodies. Now that I have made my gunner into a GM I am limited to four weapons in which laser cannon is one of them. I have recently leveled up my elemental bullets to a decent level with the even (polty room). Now what I want to know is if the mayalee prism is worth getting? If so what situations is it good for? Thanks in advance.

LeynasMoon
Feb 25, 2009, 05:37 PM
I have had Mayalee Prism for a long time now, but I don't use it very often. The situations where it becomes of some use to you and your party seem to be very far and few. Maybe I'd just been using it the wrong way and at the wrong times. The shortened range and lack of an element of the bullet when compared to the other Prisms kind of speaks for itself. I know that many Ultimate PA for the guns are meant to have a drawback to the use of them, and it takes a seasoned gunner to understand why and how to make the best use of your Ultimate Bullet. That doesn't always mean that the effort and time spent training is worth it when you're on a mission, tho.
Since Gunmasters are in no way a melee class, they're limited in the amount of weaponry which can knock back/up enemies.
A very high level Rifle Bullet can 'trip' an enemy, but only 1 target at a time. That bullet suffers no range loss, however. So if I need crowd control, I'll use my rifle. If Mayalee Prism had the ability to coincide with an element in your Laser Cannon, that would be awesome. Then you could have nice elemental damage and gain the ability to push back foes for the team members to pick out and finish off. In that way, I guess it's good to use it when there are foes who like to get into a formation to assault your party, you can break that formation up and possibly pressure the enemies into a corner for your heavy hitting team mates to destroy with more ease. I had tried that strategy out with the likes of the last boss in the Bladed Legacy mission. It doesn't work out too well tho, since there are 3 of them at a time and they move very fast. If there were some slower enemies you had to deal with by pushing them together into a corner tho, like some Vanda, that could be a good time to use Mayalee Prism. Then again, there were times when I would join a party, use Mayalee Prism, and get told to not use it, I was even kicked out of party once for that, a long time ago. Have to admit, I was trying to level it up there, and that was probably annoying the other players since they couldn't hit anything I was blowing away from them.

I'm interested in what others have to say about this Bullet too, I feel like I need some more education on it. Lasers are a big task to level up, but I love them, they get VERY strong over time and I get surprised at how fast a swath of foes die by well placed laser barraging.

Tetsaru
Feb 25, 2009, 08:21 PM
Mayalee Prism, although good for a lol every once in a while, is pretty much obsolete. Just stick with rifles to immobilize your targets, instead of scattering them around from a shorter distance and with lower DPS.

Hiero_Glyph
Feb 25, 2009, 09:48 PM
Mayalee Prism, although good for a lol every once in a while, is pretty much obsolete. Just stick with rifles to immobilize your targets, instead of scattering them around from a shorter distance and with lower DPS.

It should be noted that level 31+ rifles cannot handle everything. Jusnaguns are a good example of an enemy type where Mayalee Prism is superior to rifles PAs. Mayalee Prism is very situational, but there are cetain enemies where it is far superior to rifle PAs.

mvffin
Feb 25, 2009, 11:56 PM
Mayalee Prism can knock over Gainozerous too, and possibly other enemies of that type. It even knocks over SEED Magashi, if he's not in an attack animation. Its really not essential, but it has an occasional usefulness. The only reason to level it up is for the increased accuracy %.

Hiero_Glyph
Feb 26, 2009, 12:16 AM
Mayalee Prism can knock over Gainozerous too, and possibly other enemies of that type. It even knocks over SEED Magashi, if he's not in an attack animation. Its really not essential, but it has an occasional usefulness. The only reason to level it up is for the increased accuracy %.

Also note that there is no accuracy gain beyond level 21. So the only thing you will get for leveling it further is higher damage and slightly longer range. Take it to 21 and then just use it as needed.

Darius_Drake
Feb 26, 2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. It seems to be very situational. So I would really only use it for certain enemies like Jusnaguns, Gainozerous, and SEED Magashi. Are there any other creatures where this would have an advantage over rifles?

Smidge204
Feb 26, 2009, 11:30 AM
Rifles can flinchlock large enemies like Jusnagun and Gainozerous, though, while inflicting status effects. Keeping a pair of Gainozerous busy is hard but not impossible under the right conditions.

=Smidge=

Tetsaru
Feb 26, 2009, 04:47 PM
It should be noted that level 31+ rifles cannot handle everything. Jusnaguns are a good example of an enemy type where Mayalee Prism is superior to rifles PAs. Mayalee Prism is very situational, but there are cetain enemies where it is far superior to rifle PAs.

You use Mayalee Prism on those guys??? No offense, but that seems like an even worse case scenario, and I've seen Jusnaguns drop to a rifle bullet quite often... you probably just hit them during a casting/attacking animation or something. Large enemies like that can usually negate the knockdown with moves like that, but only temporarily. What I don't understand is... if you're getting that close to them to use Mayalee Prism on them in the first place, wouldn't you just be better off using a shotgun and maybe some G traps to kill them off a lot quicker? Otherwise, just snipe em from afar, and you should be okay. If you can't knock em down, you can at least make them flinch, and if you're that worried about immobilizing them, use Frozen Shot to freeze em and disrupt their actions. Using a slow-firing, non-elemental laser bullet on a single large target is very ineffective, even if you're just providing support fire.

Darius_Drake
Feb 26, 2009, 06:46 PM
It is beginning to seem like this would not be an effective use of 90 PA frags.

Tetsaru
Feb 26, 2009, 09:37 PM
I'd just get Killer Shot, Boma Duranga, and maybe Yak Zagenga and Twin Mayalee, depending on what you play and what you have already. Most of the trade-in PA's are garbage nowadays, unfortunately. Just stick with your elemental bullets and you should be just fine.

Dark Emerald EXE
Feb 26, 2009, 11:33 PM
Im startin to use mayalee prism more often but im very glad that i got it bcuz that room with the delnadians and the big lightning creatures in the bonus, it made those rooms so much easier
i could tag them while there down and repeat the process

off topic but is uing twin mayalee on a GM even worth doing?

Sexy_Raine
Feb 26, 2009, 11:37 PM
Maylee prism is worth having, but not worth level grinding. It is a great help to a party against those Magashis in Bladed legacy. Get 1 or more pinned to the corner while everyone gets easy hits on them.

Like everyone says, it's rare you'll use it, but it's there for when it may be helpful.

EDIT:

I

Yes, if you don't care for elemental bullets. It's the only Twins bullet my Nova uses because her rifle bullets take care of all elemental single targets.

I find twin elemental bullets pointless on GM, Twin maylee replaces all 6 of those for me.

Tetsaru
Feb 26, 2009, 11:49 PM

Personally, I don't use twin handguns anymore (I prefer rifles over them), so I'd say no. Of the 4 PA's I listed above, this one's probably the least useful, but it's ok I guess if PA space for your character is an issue, because its damage is rather consistent against any element enemy. As a GM, it'd gobble up PP quickly too.

Hiero_Glyph
Feb 27, 2009, 03:22 AM
You use Mayalee Prism on those guys??? No offense, but that seems like an even worse case scenario, and I've seen Jusnaguns drop to a rifle bullet quite often... you probably just hit them during a casting/attacking animation or something. Large enemies like that can usually negate the knockdown with moves like that, but only temporarily. What I don't understand is... if you're getting that close to them to use Mayalee Prism on them in the first place, wouldn't you just be better off using a shotgun and maybe some G traps to kill them off a lot quicker? Otherwise, just snipe em from afar, and you should be okay. If you can't knock em down, you can at least make them flinch, and if you're that worried about immobilizing them, use Frozen Shot to freeze em and disrupt their actions. Using a slow-firing, non-elemental laser bullet on a single large target is very ineffective, even if you're just providing support fire.

If you know what you are talking about you should know that rifles will not flinch certain enemies in certain animations; Mayalee Prism will flinch them, however. So although rifles will work 99% of the time, there are situations where the only reason to use the rifle is no longer valid. Mayalee Prism provides a useful alternative in these situations as it will cause an enemy to flinch during these animations. What this means is that you can use a rifle and hope that they do not go into the animation or you can use Mayalee Prism and not have to worry about the animation at all.

Just because you do not use Mayalee Prism does not invalidate the reasons why I use it. I understand that currently a shotgun or rifle bullet will kill the enemies just fine as they are all too low of a level to make them a real threat, but it is better to teach others why you do something instead of simply telling them what to do. Once we get some higher level enemies that cannot be flinched you will use Mayalee Prism again. It is better to know what it does and be prepared than to blindly follow the advice of others. As such, my advice is to level it to 21 and leave it there until it is needed.

MoorePSO
Feb 27, 2009, 12:53 PM
Mayalee Prism knocks SEED Ardites down. Rifles only flinch them.

Tetsaru
Feb 27, 2009, 01:12 PM
I dunno, if I REALLY wanted to go around knocking things down, I'd use a melee weapon of some sort. Back when I was still a FG, I'd carry a saber with Rising Strike to take down the larger bullet-resistance enemies with ease.

Also, maybe it's just because I never leveled it sufficiently, but Mayalee Prism also seemed to miss quite frequently for me. Pair that with its halved ranged and low DPS, and I just see an accident waiting to happen. I'd MUCH rather use a Burn/Virus/Poison G trap, then blast away up close with my shotgun, or snipe from afar with my rifle and stack status effects, if possible. There's more than one way to kill a man, anyway.

Gen2000
Mar 4, 2009, 02:33 AM
On a GM Mayalee Prisim is "ok" if you're on PC and don't get weapon-switch lag because you can do some neat combos.

Mayalee Prism > Shotgun spam keeps SEED Armites on their asses until they die, same with Gaizoneos. There is a video demo of this on youtube somewhere (essen's lightining beast s2 TA run IIRC)

If solo vs. Magashi in Bladed Legacy, you can do Mayalee Prism > Rising Prisim almost repeatedly to not only keep a group of them on their asses but also do great damage too instead of the very poor killspeed-wise of just spamming Mayalee Prisim by itself.

It's not the most needed PA but it makes you stand out from the average GM if you use it in the rare times it works good in.