PDA

View Full Version : PC New to the Community

Metalon
Feb 26, 2009, 12:12 PM
Im in the process of buying PSU for my PC. I have spent countless hours of playing PSO for my Game cube and my regular xbox. I have been out of the loop for about 3 years now and im getting fckin sick of playing World of warcraft. I was wondering if PSU is more grouped based now and are there specific classes that are needed to make up those groups. How have raising mags evolved since PSO, and i would love to play a melee or a caster class. From what i have read a dedicated caster is needed for every group. Are they healers, buffers, or just still massive damage dealers like they were in PSO. In PSO u were a more self reliant character, in PSU it seems like that has changed. Is it worth getting now that the game has been out for a while and im assuming the PSU community has died down a bit. I have been getting mixed ideas that there is still a few dedicated PSU players still online are there enough that if i was to start up a brand new character that there would be ppl there to do stuff with or would i be shafted because im not part of the dedicated few?

If any one is willing to help me out getin started i will do my research to raise a specific mag and to play my class correctly. Im not a noob at RPGs its just getting started that i really struggle with.

THANKS (^_^)

Anduril
Feb 26, 2009, 12:21 PM
PSU is kinda group based, though it can still be played solo rather easily. Most groups can do just fine without any form of Techer, but a Techer who heals and buffs is always a welcome addition. Also, no more MAGs in the same line as PSO, there are three MAG like things (Partner Machinery[basically this is your storage/synthesizer/meat shield],R-MAGs[left hand equipped turrets], and TECH-MAGs[left-handed wands])but they don't enhance your stats in any way. Since I'm not on the PC version I couldn't tell you how the population is in regard to making a new character.

joefro
Feb 26, 2009, 12:24 PM
Force type characters can be strong but the most powerful Force, Masterforce has the worst support spells in the game... So, if you want a support Force, you can make an Acrotecher (LV50 support) or a Fortetecher (LV40 support.) Mags in PSU are different from PSO in PSU only certain classes can use Mags. You don't feed them or grow them you just use them for support through spell casting and status effects. I'm going to get flamed for this but I don't care; if I were you, I would not start PSU, the game lacks depth, challenge, playerbase and it does not receive much support from Sega. However, the PC/PS2 community here on PSOW seems to hold player-based events and such. If you do decide to get PSU, good luck and have fun. ^^

kyle21
Feb 26, 2009, 12:29 PM
Go here for probably the best info on PSU http://psupedia.info/Main_Page

I'll tell you that you no longer 'raise' a mag. Now you synth your weapons/mags with materials and boards. http://psupedia.info/Item_synthesis

The photon arts that you used to get from your mag have now been replaced by SUV for CAST's and Nanoblast for Beast's.
http://psupedia.info/SUV_Weapons
http://psupedia.info/Nanoblasts

Overall though I think PSU is way better than PSO was, there's just so many improvements overall. I'm sure people here will give you more info.

BIGGIEstyle
Feb 26, 2009, 12:52 PM
If you are looking for something that is similar to other MMOs, then PSU isn't right for you -_-

"Casters" are mostly overlooked because out of Melee, Gunner, and Caster they have the lowest DPS... period. Not only that most people don't play them anymore because once your spells hit a certain level other party members quit seeing the new animations (although you still do.) Apparently the techer population only cared about lagging the PS2 community :P

The game doesn't need specifically built teams like WoW or FFXI do well... ever really. Certain group forms are more FAVORABLE, but there isn't much that 1 well built Fighmaster can't solo in the same time as a full party.

If you build a caster and take to the support aspect of this game, you will almost NEVER have a problem finding a group to run with in populated areas seeing as once Masterforce came out support techers disappeared. If you decide to play aside from the flaws above- which are negligible once you get started- I've got a VERY large group of frequent and dedicated players that I could introduce you to and you'd be set for parties most of the time depending on when you play.

Anything else you need info on don't be hesitant to PM me or even swing by our guild site and BS with a few of our members. (link below the pic in my sig)

Anyhow I hope I was/can be helpful to ya ^_^

Tianna
Feb 26, 2009, 01:01 PM
I am an old gamer from PSO on GC also. You may have seen me around "back in the day"... PSO char names Tianna, Miss Elanius, Buffy. Glad to see you're interested in PSU. I have played PSO Ep. I&II..even the card based one I managed to struggle through for almost a year. IMO PSU is as addicting as PSO ever was. The character customizaton is the best I have seen. I have great friends I have met on here in just over the 2 years I have been playing. The missions vary a good bit although alot of people do spam common missions like TTF was in PSO. The MAG vs. PM was a nice change to me anyway. Making and grinding weapons on here can be frustrating to fail or very appealing to make an awesome wep. The events they send us (although way behind Jp on all the updates) are fun and slightly different from the norm but can get boring if they last too long( ie: MAG/MAG2). All in all, I think if you liked PSO you will like PSU and I would like to welcome you to PSU and wouldn't mind being your first partner card and would show you around a bit :)

My in-game char name is Tianna as well. You can find it by doing a search by name. Hope to see you soon!!

Calsetes
Feb 26, 2009, 01:02 PM
I'm always willing to help out newer players with a few runs, giving them info on how to play, etc. etc. Maybe even help them get set up with some decent low-level equipment, assuming I have the money to spare.

Anyway, if you ever see any of these guys running around the server (most likely the event area while this is going on) feel free to ask me for any help. These are my characters:

Calsetes - Human Male - Level 150

Nuku Nuku - Female Cast - Level 92

Eimi - Female Beast - Level 57

Narau - Female Newman - Level 60

Even though my guys are somewhat higher in level, there's plenty of stuff for me to level while helping you out, like the Force classes, leveling my buffs and debuffs, etc.

Sinue_v2
Feb 26, 2009, 02:28 PM
If you're looking for something to fill the old PSO void, you're probably not going to be satisfied with PSO. If you buy it, it's probably best to just look at PSU as a totally different game and judge it based on it's own merits. A lot of people were extremely disenfranchised with PSU when the game first came out, because it doesn't so much encapsulate what made PSO great - but rather poorly mimics it.

The game is mediocre on it's own merits, I think, and this is after a lot of improvement through AOTI and the various system updates. Unfortunately, it's the only game of it's type around - and the only Phantasy Star left officially supported until PSZero hits stateside this fall (which is a DS game). It fills the niche well enough, although the missed potential is glaringly obvious at many points. If you're a fan of PSO, I just wouldn't expect it to fill those old shoes. Take it for what it is.

Personally, I'd say try the demo before deciding on a purchase. You can download it on the Xbox 360 (if you know someone that has one), which will give you a somewhat decent teaser taste of the game - so long as you ignore the throngs of hooting dickholes who infest it's servers. I think the Japanese AOTI client is free to download as well if you want to give the real deal a shot - albeit in another langauge.

Or you could try the third option, which I'm not at liberty to discuss here, but which may likely be your best bet since I doubt you can find the game in stores very easily these days.

Also, PSO: Blue Burst is still up and running... in a fashion. All I can say on that matter is... Google.

Metalon
Feb 26, 2009, 02:43 PM
Wow, i am VERY impressed by the support and quick reply's i got with in 2 hours( THANK you everyone who replied). Any doubts i had in this game are gone. I love being apart of a well supported player based community and it seems that this game still has it. I JUST placed my order for PSU. You all seem to be very nice and welcoming people and even the forums arnt riddled of ppl making fun of other players. Hopefully in 1-3 business days i shall join you!. i will post back what my characters name is...hopefully Metalon or Elari
depending on if i want to make a Female or Male character first.

If you are looking for something that is similar to other MMOs, then PSU isn't right for you -_-

Im sick of wow because of the big (MMO) community where Guild leaders can pick and chose and kick and pick up new people pretty much when every they want to. When playing PSO on my xbox i got use to a smaller group of people. (I was not kicked out of my guild im actually still in it im just sick of all the arguing and an RL friend, that i made buy PSO with me, is going though aloth of drama...I.E. RL GF broke up with him for an online BF. But i could talk about that forever. IM still in good standing with all my WoW friends and their sad to see me leave.)

Thanks for the help about casters...looks like my caster (sorry for the non PSU term, still VERY use to wow and probably will be for a while) will be my second character. So im gonna go with my natural RPG instincts and chose a melee character. I am excited about the improved character editors as PSO only had a few and all my toons looked pretty much exactly the same lol. Is a certain race
still best for specific classes. Like if i go melee should I be human? Also, it sounds like there are different way I can take my melee character. Looks like i have a bit of research!

Assuming there is a type of friends list, i will be adding those of you who offered your help. I just might get some use out of ya, lol.

Calsetes
Feb 26, 2009, 02:47 PM
Be careful, with a smaller community like this, you do tend to see a bit more drama at times. Then again, it's to be expected when roughly 90% of the game's population is all crammed into a single tiny lobby, and about 40% of the game's populace has nothing better to do than sit there and use PSU as a chat room. Just giving you a heads-up.

If you make it a point to not get involved in the dramatic crap, then it's an amazing game (which is probably why I still like it after all this time).

Metalon
Feb 26, 2009, 02:52 PM
Well with all Online games comes drama that just what happens but when your new to a game no one has any problems with you..so, also its a nice fresh start.

Tianna
Feb 26, 2009, 02:55 PM
I have avoided most of the drama(uni 2..LOL..j/k some cool people there too) for 2 years now.
Looks like you have a new friend already if you go to your profile and choose to accept it....this message will self destruct in 10 seconds :)

Metalon
Feb 26, 2009, 03:30 PM
well thanks lol, god im sitting here and cant WAIT until my game shows up. Should i also the the Expansion or should i wait?

Zyrusticae
Feb 26, 2009, 03:35 PM
Unlike a previous poster, I feel that PSU is in every way superior to PSO except for the blasted lack of dynamic music. I still don't understand WTF they took that out. Well, that, and the environments create less of a sense of wonder than PSO's.

The combat has more variety in it, the character art is more varied and better-defined, I absolutely adore all the emotes and such in this game (seriously, it's amazing compared to every other MMO on the market - drives me bonkers that we still haven't seen any advancements in this area), the character customization is better (unless you really, really want to customize your stats), and some other stuff that I am doubtlessly forgetting.

Yes, it gets repetitive, and yes, the player base is depressingly small, but those aside it's a fun time waster and, unlike some people, I think it's well worth $10 a month (as opposed to the $15 a month you pay for WoW or any of its equivalents). But then, I don't put much value in $10. Hey, I get more hours of entertainment out of it than I do a movie, so why complain?

Edit: Also, you should probably have just bought the expansion, as it doesn't require the previous game (unless you're playing the 360 version, that is). There's lots of stuff you can't participate in without it...

kyle21
Feb 26, 2009, 03:50 PM
Yes get the expansion, your gonna miss out on a lot of good stuff if you don't.

Humans: Well rounded stats, can be any class really, they get a 5% boost for Acrofighter.
Beast: Best suited for being fighter class, they have the best ATP and DFP. Gets Nanoblast.
CAST: Best suited for being gunner class, gets SUV.
Newman: Best suited for being techer class.

Although you can make any race/gender any class you want, but that's generally what each race excels at.

necman
Feb 26, 2009, 03:56 PM
well thanks lol, god im sitting here and cant WAIT until my game shows up. Should i also the the Expansion or should i wait?

You may want the expansion as it has more weapons and I believe the mags possibly the axe, whip and several other things were added by it. Also events are usually aoti only and not too many players do any runs on those other missions. Also universe 2 is a good place to start. Don't let uni 1's guide universe fool you. Just a few locked parties there. You would think on a guide server it would lock features like booting,. locking party, and would also allow access to any mission on that planet from one lobby. Since you already ordered it you may as well see how much you like it before getting the expansion. That's it. Welcome to psu

MagicPink
Feb 26, 2009, 05:05 PM
Shouldn't this be in Player Match-ups?

Metalon
Feb 26, 2009, 05:42 PM

well no its general chat that has turned into something else..just some nice ppl answering my questions and helpin me out..thats all........debbie downer..<.<

Metalon
Feb 26, 2009, 05:45 PM
You may want the expansion as it has more weapons and I believe the mags possibly the axe, whip and several other things were added by it. Also events are usually aoti only and not too many players do any runs on those other missions. Also universe 2 is a good place to start. Don't let uni 1's guide universe fool you. Just a few locked parties there. You would think on a guide server it would lock features like booting,. locking party, and would also allow access to any mission on that planet from one lobby. Since you already ordered it you may as well see how much you like it before getting the expansion. That's it. Welcome to psu

meh..i just got paid so i went a head and ordered the exp also...ill just install the expansion and let my friends have fun playin PSU and if they like it get the exp.

JAFO22000
Feb 26, 2009, 06:17 PM

Yes it should. I saw that your "new on the 360" thread was not moved, yet this "new on the PC" thread stays....

Sinue_v2
Feb 26, 2009, 06:57 PM
meh..i just got paid so i went a head and ordered the exp also...ill just install the expansion and let my friends have fun playin PSU and if they like it get the exp.

If you have time, you might want to go ahead and cancel your first order. The expansion is it's own stand alone game. The only reason to buy the original release is if you want to play the offline storyline mode - which largely isn't worth it. Even so, you don't need to know the storyline of v.1 to understand the story missions of v.2 or the online story missions.

If you don't care about the offline single-player game, you basically just paid for the same game twice.

Metalon
Feb 26, 2009, 08:35 PM
yeah i tried to cancel it but i believe it was to late..but my friend says he wants to play it so no worries.

Q.U.I.C.K.S.I.L.V.E.R
Feb 26, 2009, 11:21 PM
Welcome to the community (Even though your on the PC). I'm currently on the 360 servers, but I played the GC PSO as a humar, QuickSilver and after he got corrupted I played as a Hucast Synergy. You might have recognized me. I also played Episode 3 card playing. Overall, Phnatasy Star has been a huge part of my gaming life and as long as it is still on the market I will continue to play it. As for PSU, you will first notice that it is nothing like PSO. Everything in PSU is element based, but nonetheless, a still extremely fun game that will keep you occupied as long as you stick with it. As of late, Segac has been pulling through with good content so the game is just getting better as time goes on. Welcome aboard.

Metalon
Feb 26, 2009, 11:43 PM
sweet thanks ^^

WolfDreamer
Feb 27, 2009, 08:04 AM
I was in the same boat as you actually Metalon. Played the bejesus outta PSO GCN, both offline and online. Then WoW came along and I got hooked on that. Eventually ended up getting PSU and AotI when WoW felt boring and currently play it once in a while, especially during events. If the social aspect of WoW is what got you hooked to that game, then you'll probably be dissapointed in the PC version of PSU. If you're just looking for some hack and slash goodness to change the pace up, then PSU should work fine for ya. One thing I do wanna bring up that I don't think was mentioned so far is that it is completely doable to solo level successfully with the help of inviteable NPC's, but in order to experience the better content and have access to the best items out there you must find a group of 3+ it seems. That part right there does irk me about PSU, the "lone wolf" can't even access the same content as a party oriented person and you're stuck "raiding" again to get the best success.

As far as comparing PSO to PSU it really is night and day. The big pluses I'd give PSU is:
- The flexibility of your character ( you can change your class whenever you want with a little money, so you can switch from leveling as a fighter to a caster whenever you want )
- The new Partner Machinery ( you "evolve" the PM the same way you leveled the old MAGS, by giving them items as food, but the cool thing about them is that once they're evolved all the way they fight along with you instead of just hovering over your shoulder )
- The entire fight system. ( you can't just spam a button to do a 3 hit combo, but can actually learn the timing of perticular weapon types and if you time the button presses right it becomes a crit of sorts. They also put counter-attacks in if you time your attack right after blocking )
- Photon Arts ( the REAL big difference between melee from PSO to PSU. Think of them as special attacks that you can also combo and can also time the attacks correctly to perform crits )

I am dissapointed in how caster types really didn't change gameplay wise. The only real new tricks you get is spells where you hold the attack button down, but even they get boring quick. Where melee types get fancy specials and a wide variety of fighting styles, casters are still stuck with the same "cast,dodge,cast,dodge" type of play. Probably why you don't see many forces again in PSU.

Bottom line in the whole thing is that I'd definetly recommend giving PSU a try, which it sounds like you're doing. Theres tons of other things I could type here, like how customizeable your "toon" is to make it feel truely unique, or how PSU has a shop system that you can get into if you liked messing with the Auction House in WoW, your personal room that you decorate with items found while playing... tons of stuff new and different. My one major caution to you would be finding people to play with. Think of it as trying to level up a new toon in WoW on a brand new transfer server. Fine if you're ok with solo'ing, but lonely as heck if you want social interaction and groups.

And I have now typed out WAY more than I intended. I blame my inability to sleep tonight.

MagicPink
Feb 27, 2009, 05:10 PM
Yes it should. I saw that your "new on the 360" thread was moved, yet this "new on the PC" thread stays....

Ok, just wondering. I wasn't sure what the difference between the two threads was.

JAFO22000
Feb 27, 2009, 06:50 PM
Ok, just wondering. I wasn't sure what the difference between the two threads was.

The only difference is you are on the 360.