PDA

View Full Version : What would you sacrifice for love?

CupOfCoffee
Mar 1, 2009, 12:46 PM
It's an off-the-wall question I saw posted somewhere else, but it got some pretty fascinating responses:

What are the most extreme measures you'd go to in order to be with somebody that was your one true love? We're talking romantic love here, not platonic or family type love. Would you move to a different country where you didn't speak the language? Move into the woods and live as a hermit? Go to jail? Die? Something even more extreme?

Or, if you've already sacrificed a good deal for love, how did it come about?

Shadowpawn
Mar 1, 2009, 12:57 PM
That's a silly question. Anyone who is truly in love would say they would do anything, that's kinda of a given.

CupOfCoffee
Mar 1, 2009, 01:03 PM
Maybe anybody would do anything in an ideal world, but it's not that cut and dry in real life. I think we've all seen examples where real people did not give up certain things for love. Even 200 miles or so of distance between two people, who would normally have had a very successful relationship, can be enough to cause things to "not work out."

ashley50
Mar 1, 2009, 01:06 PM
That's a silly question. Anyone who is truly in love would say they would do anything, that's kinda of a given.

Indeed true...I would do the same

Kylie
Mar 1, 2009, 01:19 PM
I completely believe that home is where the heart is, and I think I could live anywhere as long as I was in the company of someone that I shared a mutual love with. I'd even move to the coldest place on earth for them, where I would be miserable. :disapprove: We're talking about true love though. I wouldn't give everything away to just anyone.

Outrider
Mar 1, 2009, 01:57 PM
Let me just say that I don't think anybody can honestly say they know what they would be willing to give up until they actually end up giving it up.

A situation like this isn't something people ever seriously think about until they're suddenly a part of one.

Shadowpawn
Mar 1, 2009, 02:03 PM
Maybe anybody would do anything in an ideal world, but it's not that cut and dry in real life. I think we've all seen examples where real people did not give up certain things for love. Even 200 miles or so of distance between two people, who would normally have had a very successful relationship, can be enough to cause things to "not work out."

Hence that's why I said they would simply state they would do anything. I never said they would actually do so. Given that the question you're asking seems to lose purpose to everyone who has never been in that position. To those who have, however, you could question whatever they would truly in love and it would still hold weight. It's not a topic you can really quantify in discussion.

CupOfCoffee
Mar 1, 2009, 02:09 PM
*shrug* that's fine, I suppose. It's not like this is a census or some type of scientific experiment trying to come up with a graph or equation. I just think it's interesting to see how love stacks up to other enjoyable things in our lives. Exactly how valuable do we all find love to be, even if we have never experienced it?

Shadowpawn
Mar 1, 2009, 02:13 PM
I personally think it's a great thing to have in your life, but it's not absolutely necessary to have. Granted without love you would have a very lonely existence, but that happens from time to time.

Omega_Weltall
Mar 1, 2009, 02:15 PM
I would do any thing for love, but i wont do that. OH NOOOOO!

Dangerous55
Mar 1, 2009, 03:22 PM
Move into the woods and live as a hermit?

I'd love to do that.

And the term is mountain-man(woman), not hermit.

Feelmirath
Mar 1, 2009, 03:55 PM
Let me just say that I don't think anybody can honestly say they know what they would be willing to give up until they actually end up giving it up.

A situation like this isn't something people ever seriously think about until they're suddenly a part of one.

This. Couldn't have said it better.

Tessu
Mar 1, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'd definitely sacrifice a lot of my personal comfort for it. How much, though, I'm not sure. I'd have to be given a specific situation...

Aorre
Mar 1, 2009, 05:17 PM
Nothing. Love is fake.

Omega_Weltall
Mar 1, 2009, 05:39 PM
Nothing. Love is fake.

The equivalent of eating large quantities of chocolate.

Commodity
Mar 1, 2009, 05:41 PM
Nothing. Love is fake.
Oh such radical thinking you have!

Darkly
Mar 1, 2009, 06:43 PM
Ill play, If it came down to it again i wouldnt give up all those times i could have gone out with friends just because she didnt want to, for love. But hey, maybe it wasnt love then right aorre?

Ryno
Mar 1, 2009, 06:45 PM
I have a question is it best to fall in love with a local or with somone who lives far? but she only lives 6 hours

amtalx
Mar 1, 2009, 06:52 PM
Whatever is necessary.

SpikeOtacon
Mar 1, 2009, 06:58 PM
Certainly not a Klondike Bar.

CupOfCoffee
Mar 1, 2009, 07:01 PM

I like the way you think, good sir.

MetaZedlen
Mar 2, 2009, 02:18 AM

You sir, I can't begin to think on how many ways I can complement you for such amazing words of wisdom :D

Back on topic: I wouldn't give just anything up for love (probably because knowing me I'll just sneak doing whatever I gave up anyways because I'm naughty like that :P), but sacrificing something for true love does sound quite, uhh, romantic (can ya tell I haven't had the experience yet?)

ThePainMaker
Mar 2, 2009, 09:56 AM
I would go so far as to give up my last donut and cup of coffee. trust me thats a huge loss on my part

BlaizeYES
Mar 5, 2009, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=CupOfCoffee;2260360]

Move into the woods?

[QUOTE]

are you talking about moving into the woods with the woman, or moving into the woods as a sign of love and staying there by yourself forever? i'd take the latter, ted kaczynski had the right idea. live off the land, write a manifesto, make a few bombs, and then SEE IF SPARKS FLY IN THE RELATIONSHIP. nothing says "i love you" like MELTING THE FACES OF YOUR ENEMIES AHHHHHHHHH