PDA

View Full Version : Official Phantasy Star Portable Feedback thread

RubyEclipse
Mar 4, 2009, 06:01 PM
This is a bit of a rare thing for most game companies, but a very cool opportunity for all you Phantasy Star fans in the community.

In this thread, I'd like to compile a full list of what you guys love the most, and likewise dislike, about Phantasy Star Portable. I'll be able to pull this data and send it up the chain at SEGA. Please just make sure that the comments are related to the game specifics and not the marketing side, as that's another discussion entirely. :)

To make it easy, could everyone use a format like the one below?

Dislikes: (Ex: Ad-hoc and not online)

It'll make it easy for me to pull all the info later, and is also a cool chance for you guys to get your voices heard by the people here at SEGA.

Thanks again everyone, and hope you're all having a blast with the game!

beatrixkiddo
Mar 4, 2009, 06:04 PM
Likes: No synthing (kind of a double-edged sword but overall less hassle), decent enough voice acting.
Dislikes: Low framerate, no downloadable missions, translation errors/quality.

Kane_PSU
Mar 4, 2009, 06:09 PM
Likes: Good variety of items and missions. Guardian Types feel better than they've ever felt before.
Dislikes: Lack of synthesis (Is one of my favorite aspects of PSU). No DLC. Poor voice acting (Seriously. Vivienne is TERRIBLE).

Akaimizu
Mar 4, 2009, 06:23 PM
Well, to be fair. Vivienne is supposed to sound that way. She stumbles with the idea of properly emoting herself, so her emotions are a bit...um..subdued and artificial sounding. So I'll give Vivienne's voice acting as a properly assessed issue that's based off the character.

My likes and dislikes are going from my first impressions after the Japanese version.

Likes: Much of what is PSP is brought over. English translation is enjoyable. They kept the cool achievements in place with good rewards. The fortunate aspect that it seems they may have included much of the actual equip content of the Japanese version. A lot of translation was done and in short order. Just taking a look at the many pages of things you can review from your Room shows that this wasn't some small translation effort.

Dislikes: Lack of DLC. While it seems much of the weapons (maybe sans a few) and items are available, the lack of DLC does seem like that one level I enjoyed so much from the DLC wont appear here.

Kane_PSU
Mar 4, 2009, 06:37 PM
Well, to be fair. Vivienne is supposed to sound that way. She stumbles with the idea of properly emoting herself, so her emotions are a bit...um..subdued and artificial sounding. So I'll give Vivienne's voice acting as a properly assessed issue that's based off the character.

It's not that at all. I simply can't fucking stand her voice acting. It has nothing to do with the sound effects on her voice, or even her dialect. She just has a really, really shitty voice actress.

OriginalB
Mar 4, 2009, 06:41 PM
Dislikes:
-No lobbying (I know its not too possible without servers)
- No MyRoom
-No DLC
-No Online multiplayer
-Synthing is out
-upgrading is 100%
-the way the drop system is now (the leader's class determines drops)
-no trading

Alizarin
Mar 4, 2009, 07:20 PM
- No synthing. (Unless there is a way to customize equipment further to make sythesis more valuable than premade drops, then I'm fine without it)
- Save prompt after each mission, and save option from the start menu. (Nice reminder and no need to run to an orb each time)
- Game Achievements with rewards. (Something to earn and work towards)
- Player logs, including weapon and monster catalogs. (Nice to have an in-game reference guide)
- Single and Multiplayer modes have the same basic functions and content. (PSU's offline mode really felt limited once more content came in online. While content is still limited in story mode, at least the character can be used in both)
- 8 Character slots. (Not an absolute necessity, but I like having extra slots)

Dislikes:
- Having race and gender-specific drops and rewards. (Having an S-rank Spear as an achievment and restricting it to certain races is not cool)
- No common box. (This one ties in with the one above)
- No Downloadable content. (The downloadable missions added a lot to the end-game and overall longeivity to the game)
- No Infrastructure Multiplayer (More and more people are reliant on online gaming, and it's difficult sometimes to find a player available locally)
- Slowdown and loading issues. (There is a pause between loading in some menus and logs, along with slowdown when there is a full party)

ashley50
Mar 4, 2009, 07:24 PM
Dislike(s) Viviene's VA...suck. Doesn't match her personality at all.

actually...All the VAs suck.

Aristerix
Mar 4, 2009, 07:32 PM
It's not that at all. I simply can't fucking stand her voice acting. It has nothing to do with the sound effects on her voice, or even her dialect. She just has a really, really shitty voice actress.
So, because her voice annoys you, shes automatically a shitty voice actress?

Hmm.. something doesn't seem right here...

superlulu
Mar 4, 2009, 08:08 PM
free
finding 50% items
new weapons(i only play psu so pso weps r new 2 me)
over all the ppl who play online r nicer

dislikes: no lobbies
lag
finding 1% items
no common box
very complicated to get online and play with others(psn<_<)
and if there is no dlc that sux

and all the voice acting sux, but it did on psu 2 so idc, guess they just can't afford haley jo osmond or w/e lol

Ryno
Mar 4, 2009, 08:09 PM
I think it's cool game, plus when carrying your PSP anywhere . thats good.

ashley50
Mar 4, 2009, 08:17 PM
I would've been better if they'd just left the VAs in JP or at least give a selection for it :l

Dustin27
Mar 4, 2009, 09:49 PM
Likes: No synthesis, no lobbies, save after each mission, more items & more classes than PSU offline(I only got to play offline), achievements, faster leveling, 8 character slots
Dislikes: AI sucks when your a ranger or force, no DLC

Chuck_Norris
Mar 5, 2009, 01:22 AM
Likes: You can't fail grinding. Title system. Jabroga and Majarra got nerfed (:wacko:) Lots of origional weapons, few that are simply recolors, like, they have a different looks throughout all ranks. We actually have voice actors. Makes most items need to be unlocked, rather than just waiting for sega to unlock them for use, and needing to buy them. (AKA: You have to work for some clothing.) 8 character slots.

Dislikes: No common box. What am I suppost to do with this axe on my ranger? No Downloadable Content when japan did get it. :disapprove:

beatrixkiddo
Mar 5, 2009, 03:24 AM
What am I suppost to do with this axe on my ranger?

Change your type, duh ;o

Stixxx
Mar 5, 2009, 08:41 AM

Titles to go for

No synthing

And finally being able to understand everything, thanks for bringing it stateside.

Dislikes:
NO DLC!!! bigassed BOO SEGA on that one.

Online Multiplayer, understand why not but still would love to not have to ad-hoc / Xlink Kai / maybe i should just get a ps3.

Having to be in story-mode to change type.

Limit on Technics/Skills/Bullets again its doeable but your learned skills take up inventory spots when swapping types. which brings me to

Storage Box.. 300 is nice.. but seeing as there isnt one xfer box.. making a new guy seems almost pointless.. unless your going to make a different sex /race character for collecting armor/ clothes..

But at the end of the day Im loving it so far, again GJ@sega for bringing it over.

TerribleDeliMeat
Mar 5, 2009, 08:58 AM

Dislikes: No DLC. Maybe Sega will release it over the PSN store, but I doubt it.

panzer_unit
Mar 5, 2009, 09:34 AM
Overall impression - really, really disappointed so far but I'm holding on to faint hope that the final mission difficulty levels might be balanced so that it's fun to play with a decently strong character. If the game keeps its current pace all the way to the end I'm hoping I can get my money back from EB. I'll know soon enough since leveling up is stupidly fast.

Dislikes:
* WE'RE NOT GETTING THE SAME DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT AS JAPAN DID
* TOO EXPENSIVE full price is retarded considering there's no DLC, no infrastructure play, and the difficulty level of the single player game totally hasn't been thought out.
* roller coaster difficulty ... free mission levels are pretty much cakewalk, until the boss fight where the game shifts to DIAMOND HARD difficulty setting. Seriously I have to commute back and forth between the bosses and the recharger cube to bring one of these guys down, against two or three monsters that will kill me in 3 hits tops.
* the new weapon grinding system is really dull, every weapon you grind is going to go to +10 and come up with almost exactly the same stats as the other ten of the same thing you found on the last mission. It's just a question of which weapons you liked enough to spend grinders on.
* no room decoration/visiting (it was pointless game-wise, but fun)
* new game+ ... what is the point supposed to be in losing all your items and restarting the story (level 1 monsters and all) with a mid-level character?
* no infrastructure of its own, and Sony's dragging their feet on getting ad-hoc party out of beta and released outside of Japan

* I can play wherever I want and with my friends at home
* the plot's okay
* guardian types are AWESOME COOL in this one, everyone has a solid mix of abilities and there's been some elegant re-balancing on stuff like EX traps
* switching between story and multiplayer in-game
* a lot of new items
* no jogging around towns
* no synthesis (the major irritations were collecting/buying materials, and synthesizing a million freaking grinders trying to get some +10s)
* no Partner Machine feeding
* achievements and titles and rewards (although some of the rewards are crazy, like the best sword in the game etc)

Delete
Mar 5, 2009, 12:26 PM
Im completely hooked.

aarosmashguy
Mar 6, 2009, 12:38 AM
Dislikes :
-No common Box.
-Everything seems to drop too often.
-Lvling goes too fast.
-Restricted controls for moving (I am forced to move with the psp joy stick thingy and can't switch it to the pad like in my other game "daxter")

-8 character slots.
-The amount of re-play value.
-Gameplay obviously.

Saigan
Mar 6, 2009, 12:58 AM
Dislikes: Not only no infrastructure, but no DLC? What the heck Sega?

On a seperate note regarding quality of voice actors, they aren't bad. They fit the characters well enough and get the job done. I don't care for them because the japanese voice acting just seemed to be better... this is likely because it's what I got used to.

Volcompat321
Mar 6, 2009, 02:55 AM
Dislikes: spells knockback like crazy, no 31+ (yet?) no common box, its also too easy :/

mvffin
Mar 6, 2009, 03:31 AM
drops can be 1-50%
8 character slots
clothing and PA's can be drops
titles and rewards system
techers have stagger/knockup/knockdown/knockback type spells (other than regrants)
some of the new weapons are good, and some of the old weapons got better

-Dislikes:
NO DLC
can't repeat story mode missions
New Game+ is pointless
NO DLC
no character upload from PSU (not really major, but still quite dumb)
generally bad VA (just like every other game I've played in the past 10 years)
no common box
NO DLC
some of the new weapons are B/C ranks, some of the old weapons were made into B/C ranks
no trading or selling weapons or armor for any reason.
bad slowdown/lag in multiplayer mode, even with no other players
NO FKIN DLC

Swiftstrike
Mar 6, 2009, 07:17 AM
Like:
A Phantasy Star game on the PSP!
Ad-hoc
Achievments (data tracking)
Titles (and rewards)
Decent graphics
Frequent save reminders
Monster logs
Clothing drops

Dislike:
no sything
no pm feeding
no common box (MAJOR DISLIKE, my male character got FEMLAE only drops what the hell am i supposed to do with them?)
not enough titles/rewards (too easy, need hard ones too)
no infrastructure (MAJOR DISLIKE)
no player shops (my favorite thing to mess with in PSU)
no downloadable content (seriously? wtf? HUGE MISTAKE, Japan got it)
class-specific drop table (rather have a table based more on mission)
no lobbies
no trading

Emblem00
Mar 6, 2009, 08:03 AM
Like:
All (BUT)

Dislike:
No infrastructure (but thats what PSU for)
No DLC ( hope I can find the blades I looking for)

Letters
Mar 6, 2009, 02:26 PM
The Title system is a cool idea and makes the game even more addictive for me.

Voice Acting is pretty good, even if the script isn't.

In general, I feel like this game is a near perfect mix of PSO and PSU.

It's very good looking for a PSP game.

The simpler Battle Types are much better.

Partner Machines are much easier in this game, but I feel like they are a bit -too- easy. I would still like something to work towards regarding my PM.

NO MORE SYNTHING THANK THE JESUS

Dislikes:
The story is a step in the right direction but I still found myself skipping all of the dialogue. I don't want to spend 7 minutes reading a mission briefing, it could easily take a fraction of the time and get the same point across.

Teammate AI sucks.

No online play. Because I don't know any Phantasy Star fans in real life, I'm stuck playing it by myself with the sub-par AI teammates, which gets pretty repetitive. This is especially frustrating because this game fixed nearly all my problems with PSU and the one thing I want in life is just to play it with other people ;_;

No DLC.

Removed "My Room" customization.

Leveling Photon Arts is still lame, even if it's faster.

DarkEliteRico
Mar 6, 2009, 02:47 PM
Not sure as of yet, I just got the game today and should have my PSP here soon.

Amherst_Wind
Mar 6, 2009, 03:37 PM
No synthing with its terrible chance of success. Monsters dropping weapons is how it should have always been on PSU like PSO, and its pretty obvious they realise that now as that seems to be the way the future of PSU is headed, premade weapons dropping rather than boards.

Dislikes:
No Download Missions, that was a serious mistake by Sega of America. The DLC gave this game much needed longevity once all the story and free missions are cleared. If there is even a chance of getting the missions released for the US version you guys should look into it. I'm aware all the DLC items are now in normal missions, but the missions themselves were highly entertaining, heck the download missions have almost doubled the number of missions in the game from the original release.

BahnKnakyu
Mar 6, 2009, 04:40 PM
* Improved ally AI - they process more actions per second (this was done by Sega of Japan)
* Tons of new items. Fewer throwbacks to PSO (seriously, enough with the PSO content SoJ)
* Generally improved VAing, especially Laia's VA - she sounds as butch as her JP VA. She's one of the few I can actually stand. However, Vivienne still fails (see below).

Dislikes:
* NO DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT
* Low framerate - but considering how well optimized the game is, I'll be fine.
* All master classes except acromaster do not get the attack bonus.
* Poor translation errors on many obvious translations. Lots of grammatical mistakes and misspellings.
* Vivienne's voice actress. Comparing the JP and English VAs is like comparing night and day. The JP one acted like a child, had some emotion to it, but sounded "akward" (fitted Vivienne's character very well). The English Vivienne just sounds... off. She just sounds like she's reading lines from a script (e.g. half-arsed).

So yeah, 95% of the people in this thread are asking for DLC. Fix that and I'll say it's a damn good game.