PDA

View Full Version : Question

KunoTatewaki
Mar 7, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hey guys, Xelly here. I was wondering, what you all think the best PSP system is? And why? I've heard some are better than others for modding purposes, is that true? I was looking into buying one and PS portable but I just need to know what you all think. Thanks :D

Swiftstrike
Mar 7, 2009, 03:57 PM
I have an origianl DS and I swore by it. Until I got a PSP (I never use my DS anymore lol).

There are three models currently out. the 1001, 2001, 3001 (yes, they end in 1).

The 1001 has a different button layout (for things like wi-fi, ect not game controls). It also has an infrared port, which a modded PSP can use as a universal remote control. Its nickname is the PSP "fat" or "phat", thats becuase it is indeed larger, meaning you will need to hunt down accessories for this model. Easy to mod. (My friend has one modded)

2001:
Thinner/lighter
twich as much RAM (64MB)
Different motherboard type
no infrared port
modified non-game button locations
nicknamed PSP "slim"
Easy to mod (I have modded this one personally)
TV-out (some TV types)

3001:
Much lighter
Very different motherboard ("unhackable")
no infrared port
buttons same as 2001 model
near impossible to hack or mod (but many people are working on this)
screen has a contrast ratio about 5x of previous models
screen is brighter
dot layout of screen is different (causes minor screen issues on older games)
built-in microphone
TV-out (all TV types)
(i personally own one)

BOTTOMLINE:
Comes down which you prefer, Mod or no mod.

If you care about custom firmware, then I recommend the 2001 (but many others say 1001 is best ... ive never had any issues messing with my 2001)

If you do not care for modding, the 3001 would be a good choice.

I highly recommend modding, it turns your handheld device into a mini-laptop.

But I know nothing ......... ;-)

KunoTatewaki
Mar 7, 2009, 04:08 PM
Well that helps. I probably plan on buying the 2000 series. :D Would you recommend this for a first time psp buyer? :p