PDA

View Full Version : Humans still bad in Phantasy Star Portable?

Jinto117
Mar 8, 2009, 04:57 PM
I just got the game and I am wondering whether humans still suck in Phantasy Star Portable. As a human player on PSU for over a year and a half before I quit I learned the hard way how Sega treats humans in their Phantasy Star games. Have any stats been adjusted for any of the races?

NikeOne89
Mar 8, 2009, 05:06 PM
dono i like using humans

marsprite
Mar 8, 2009, 10:43 PM
You're playing a scifi game.. and picking human as your race?

isn't the whole point of a scifi story to imagine a more interesting reality than you live in?

you are human! pick something else! spice it up!

=O

seriously though, humans in psu don't suck, they just aren't quite as awesome as the other races

humans make better force types than anything but Newman, they make better ranger types than anything but CAST, and uhmm... better hunter types than Newman?

they are versatile, but they do not excel at anything, don't you remember reading something along those lines in the description for them? or were you just not paying attention?

Saigan
Mar 8, 2009, 10:46 PM
If you want to be able to deal just INSANE amounts of DPS roll a beast, if you like versatility and enjoy being flexible go human.

Syanaide
Mar 9, 2009, 01:38 AM
PSP is significantly easier than PSU in terms of enemy stats. Just be what you want, my newman acrofighter I made for jokes ain't half bad in this game.

CeruleanWitch
Mar 9, 2009, 11:08 AM
If Humans get boosts as Acromasters, they aren't so bad.

panzer_unit
Mar 9, 2009, 11:27 AM
Humans are pretty good... you might be wishing for Beast ATP or Cast ATA as you're just getting started on S-rank free missions, in the long term I think being able to play all sorts of jobs and equipment at a second-best sort of level is going to mean more.

If you want to excel with a human character, go Protranser (IMO the attack techs really help) or Acromaster (brutal RCSM damage while spamming one-handed melee PA's or line attack techs)

Jinto117
Mar 10, 2009, 08:23 PM
By the way. How the hell do you trade in this game?

Revial
Mar 10, 2009, 08:28 PM
Humans are well-rounded.

They have decent stats and some good gear choices but if you're looking to go pure ranger or pure melee user, I recommend a Beast or CAST.

GreyWolf360
Mar 10, 2009, 09:34 PM
By the way. How the hell do you trade in this game?

the old fashon pso way ofcourse...both of you drop your items on opposite ends of a dungeon room >___>

Jinto117
Mar 11, 2009, 04:31 PM
You can't drop items aside from some clothes and unleveled PAs. There is no trading in this game at all.

Ah man that's so lame. I have so many ranged weapons that I would love to give to my brother but I guess I'm stuck with them.

Pandarino
Mar 11, 2009, 06:49 PM
Since collecting all the titles will have you play as all the classes humans are actually the best choice in PSP

ThaiSoup
Mar 12, 2009, 04:12 PM
Since collecting all the titles will have you play as all the classes humans are actually the best choice in PSP

If you plan to switch classes alot, yes. However my take on all of this is...

There was never really a bad choice. In the end, like PSU you become ridiculously overpowered and any class combination will get you by. Neith for an example is a newman whom is focusing on Fighmaster. And on these forums, for PSU atleast there is a group dedicated to the complete opposite, Cast techers. I'm one who likes melee and guns, so cast and beast are my favorite races. Since the time I will be spending on Techer classes will be last once everything else is capped, and with a group of 2-3 friends. Getting through techer for achievements isn't really a worry. Then after that techer detour I ignore it like the plague. At 90 I only have 2 classes capped and around level 6 of the other, well Master classes.

So if you're going with a couple specific classes and just going to cap the others for the achievements, I wouldn't worry about your race for the classes you don't plan to major in. And chances, if you choose those classes that you don't care about last. And you level it at the end, you should be capped and while leveling it you should get the achievement for capping 10tech/skill/bullet, and also get alot of the A and S ranks for the "______ Collector" achievement.

Kyon
Mar 17, 2009, 01:10 PM
Well, my character is a Female Newman Fighmaster (reminiscent of my old HUnewearl) and I love it. Sure, i have trouble keeping my HP up, but only because I opt to play stages with monsters 15+ levels above me.

Mind you, I would never have done this on PSU back when I was playing, but since in PSP I have no one to compete with, I play at my own pace.

In other words, if I can do fine as a Female Newman FM, you can do anything with a human.

Deragonite
Mar 17, 2009, 01:28 PM
In PS:P,

Humans make unparalleled Acromasters.
Newmans make unparalleled Masterforces.
Casts and Beast make unparalleled Fighmasters and Gunmasters.

As for the "best" class, overall the balance of Acromasters is uncontested IMO as there isn't a single situation in this game where Acromasters have difficulty.

I have all 4 races to level 100/10 of their respective classes and here's my take from best to worst:
Human Acromaster
Newman Masterforce
Cast/Beast Fightmaster
Human/Cast/Beast Protranser
Gunmaster
Hunter/Force/Ranger

In 70% of the missions, Acromaster will complete the mission the fastest. For the rest, my Masterforce takes the price, and only for 1 mission (Alterazgohg) has my Beast Fighmaster been able to beat both my Human Acromaster and my Newman Masterforce. This is including the DLC for the Japanese version as well, with monsters at level 130 and higher.

Unfortunately, Protranser and Gunmaster have yet to beat all 3 of the other classes in any runs that I've done.

Regardless, all missions are easily done with any of the master classes, so it's more a matter of preference than anything else.

But to answer your question, humans do not suck. In fact, I think they're broken.

Dymalos
Mar 17, 2009, 06:11 PM
I'd put Beast Acromaster and Cast Acromaster on that list right behind or even in front of your Human Acromaster.

Both have more ATP, DFP and HP and Casts have more Hit than Humans. That leaves Humans with only TP, MST and EVP as advantages.

TP only really influences Resta and Giresta in terms of support Techs, and besides healing is so easy to come by, I think you're giving it too much weight. EVP is also a mixed bag because it can interrupt PAs and Techs.

Pandarino
Mar 17, 2009, 06:55 PM
IMHO Tech is fundamental for R-mags and R-mags have a big part in how I play as an acromaster

Dymalos
Mar 17, 2009, 07:03 PM
I'll concede that point. As a Beast I tend to gravitate towards the 2h weapons, and I'm quite content with Meseta Fury as an offhand option. Although the RCSMs still do alot of damage as a Beast, I just don't really like them outside of the A Rank Tenoras and Opa Opa.

Deragonite
Mar 18, 2009, 02:13 AM
I'd put Beast Acromaster and Cast Acromaster on that list right behind or even in front of your Human Acromaster.

Both have more ATP, DFP and HP and Casts have more Hit than Humans. That leaves Humans with only TP, MST and EVP as advantages.

TP only really influences Resta and Giresta in terms of support Techs, and besides healing is so easy to come by, I think you're giving it too much weight. EVP is also a mixed bag because it can interrupt PAs and Techs.

The tenora shadoog does 600-700 damage per bullet on a human. It does about 300-400 with a cast.

600-700 damage per bullet is equivalent to 3000-3500 damage per wave. Each wave is fired every second. Stack this on top of your melee damage which only does 15-20% less than a beasts and there is a big difference in DPS for humans and beasts.

Though I do agree with Beast AM and Cast AM being on top of most of the other classes, though not MF.

Masterforces do 900-1000 damage per bullet from the tenora shadoog.