PDA

View Full Version : elemental attributes

fenrir188
Mar 9, 2009, 09:24 AM
so im starting to buy my s-rank weapons slowly but surely and i was looking at elemental attributes i was wondering how high the percentage value can go and what percentage is decent enough for me to to spend my meseta on

deadlywhisper85
Mar 9, 2009, 09:45 AM
the highest percentage value is 50%, but those are quite expensive, but a decent % to spend your money on would at least be 32%, then slowly start changing them to 42, then 50!

Gibdozer
Mar 15, 2009, 12:46 AM
I'm sure I will catch alot of flak for this, but high attributes are over rated. Think about it there are six elemental types in the game: fire, ice, ground, electric, dark, and light so if you have a saber with a 50% ice element you will deal base damage plus 50% to fire based enemies and only fire based enemies. This is fine if you've got tons of cash or your building a great weapon base over time; however, I think it's more practical to go after decent elements with high grinds. Now an 8/8 Srank weapon with 20% on ice won't do as much damage to fire creatures as a 0/10 50%, but the cumulative effect of hitting every enemy of every element for more damage will out-weigh the killer % over time. Also it will afford you the freedom of tailoring equipment to your characters look, and save you tons of cash while dealing comperable damage! I'm not saying to pass up high % weapons(if you get a good deal) just that they are generally over-priced while high grinded weapons with lower % often sell for less than the grinders used to make them.

miko00014
Mar 15, 2009, 03:48 AM
I think people want 50%s more just because it's more aesthetically pleasing than say 42%. And I agree on the whole outweighing damage on the total amount of monsters as opposed to the one type of enemy argument as well, I mean ill switch to an ice durandal replica against some fire monsters if I am using a fire Blackheart for example, but beyond that I for one don't really care too much about %s. That said though, eventually as one gets more money higher % weapons will be more affordable (assuming the economy doesn't get completely screwed up by a massive event that gives everyone an Agito), and they should focus on getting a little higher %s for their weapons.

Kazemi
Mar 16, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'm sure I will catch alot of flak for this, but high attributes are over rated.i agree with you on that. the higher percents give dimishing results as the percent goes when compared to what it takes to get them. so the only real reason to get max percents is for perfection since the game doesn't really demand such things.

the percent itself is rather misleading post-AOI. the boosts from the percents are most like this:
10% -> 10% boost
20% -> 16.5% boost
30% -> 23.1% boost
40% -> 29.7% boost
50% -> 36.3% boost

Gaara of sv
Mar 23, 2009, 08:44 PM
what is the point to none elemental weapons and armor... i have noticed them in the shopes, and selling quite frequently

Hiero_Glyph
Mar 23, 2009, 09:14 PM
what is the point to none elemental weapons and armor... i have noticed them in the shopes, and selling quite frequently

The point is laziness or ignorance.

To be honest most players do not understand how the %'s on weapons and armors actually work. As a result you will see quite a few players wearing incorrect element armor or using off-element weapons.

The only time you are penalized for using an elemental weapon/armor is when your weapon is of the same element as the enemy and your armor is of the opposite element as the attack (not always the same as the enemy's element). As a result, a neutral or off-element weapon will always yield less damage than an opposite element weapon (e.g. fire versus ice) with the same attack rating.

What this means is that a 10% weapon that is of the proper element (e.g. ground weapon against a lightning enemy) will always deal more damage than the neutral weapon of the same attack rating. As some players do no want 6 of evey weapon (one of each element), they simply choose to purchase a single neutral weapon and give up the added damage potential. As was stated previously, the actual damage bonus is normally smaller than the % of the weapon, but it is still quite substantial.

To me, having a selection of proper element weapons and armors is more important than using a single neutral high-grinded weapon. In most cases you will be able to improve the %'s of your weapons (50% being the exception), but you will never be able to improve that neutral 10/10.

Gaara of sv
Mar 23, 2009, 10:27 PM
yeah i knew about the wepon element oposites... but i have hear dumb rumors that 0% does more damage to none elemental enemys, and that non elemental armor protects you from non elemental attacks... just a dumb rumor i heard... but i wanted to see if it was true

Hiero_Glyph
Mar 24, 2009, 12:49 AM
yeah i knew about the wepon element oposites... but i have hear dumb rumors that 0% does more damage to none elemental enemys, and that non elemental armor protects you from non elemental attacks... just a dumb rumor i heard... but i wanted to see if it was true

Neutral = 0%, there is no damage bonus or reduction. Now, if you could get a 50% neutral weapon then it would be different but as all neutral weapons are 0%, they add no additional damage even against neutral enemies.

darkante
Mar 24, 2009, 05:40 AM
If a mission would have alot of mixed elemental foes, i say thatīs when one should even bother to use a neutral weapon.

Gibdozer
Mar 24, 2009, 06:38 AM
Hey maybe they just like green, honestly I don't mind giving up a little extra damage or defense if it makes me look cooler lol. I generally pick my armor attribute based on what clothes or parts I'm wearing at the time. Call me crazy but when I like the way my character looks I fight with inspiration and dexterity, and I believe skill will outweight equipment every time.

Hiero_Glyph
Mar 24, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hey maybe they just like green, honestly I don't mind giving up a little extra damage or defense if it makes me look cooler lol. I generally pick my armor attribute based on what clothes or parts I'm wearing at the time. Call me crazy but when I like the way my character looks I fight with inspiration and dexterity, and I believe skill will outweight equipment every time.

I wouldn't exacty call up to 37% "a little extra damage". Furthermore, your armor element has very little effect on the clothing that you might be wearing, so wearing the incorrect element qualifies as lazy. As for skill, SEGA made sure that their games do not require any a very long time ago. The only thing that takes skill in this game currently are speed runs, and you won't be winning any with neutral weapons. If you play for fun that is fine, just don't go bragging about how skill has anything to do with picking which outfit to wear for the day.

Gibdozer
Mar 26, 2009, 02:55 AM
Yes I think that your characters attire has an impact on the game and how people interact in it, frankly I think thats obvious. Personally I spend alot of time working on aesthetics, for me it's all about the details. With many clothes and parts, like the guardless jacket or musagante torso, armor color has a dramatic visual impact. Now about skill, I guess your so much better than me that for you It's a mute point(you certainly seem to think so), but I'll bet you still carry max scape dolls! Anyway you've got it all wrong I didn't say that my skills effect the way I dress, I said that how I feel about my characters look effects my skill.

P.S. sega games don't require any skill, have you ever played Shinobi?

Hiero_Glyph
Mar 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
Yes I think that your characters attire has an impact on the game and how people interact in it, frankly I think thats obvious. Personally I spend alot of time working on aesthetics, for me it's all about the details. With many clothes and parts, like the guardless jacket or musagante torso, armor color has a dramatic visual impact. Now about skill, I guess your so much better than me that for you It's a mute point(you certainly seem to think so), but I'll bet you still carry max scape dolls! Anyway you've got it all wrong I didn't say that my skills effect the way I dress, I said that how I feel about my characters look effects my skill.

P.S. sega games don't require any skill, have you ever played Shinobi?

I would say that the majority of deaths in PSU are due to item lag, poor connections or having two hits stack and being unable to use an item or heal until after the damage is taken. These are not reasons to say that dying means you have no skill, but flaws in the game's code.

I always carry 8+ Scapes because it is courteous to the rest of the party. If someone dies in my party and they do not have any Scapes, they get the boot (hopefully before they return to lobby and hurt our overall rank). Not carrying any Scapes or running out of Scapes is a sign of a player without any skill however. I mean, really, how hard is it to spend 50k to keep yourself full with Scapes all of the time?

P.S. SEGA used to make really great games, but that ended when they stopped being original and started pumping out franchise gimic after franchise gimic. They still do publish a few good games (Chromehounds by FROM Software was one of my favortite games on the 360 for a while) but these are few and far between.

Gibdozer
Mar 29, 2009, 01:55 PM
Of course, anytime you die it's because the game is flawed, that makes perfect sense! I feel a bit silly for questioning you now, well you certainly proved me!

P.S. really, there is no skill involved in wardrobe, but spending 50k on scapedolls is an accurate measure of a players ability? Yes I carry scapedolls, but I didn't say that this game requires no skill you did.

Hiero_Glyph
Mar 29, 2009, 05:42 PM
Of course, anytime you die it's because the game is flawed, that makes perfect sense! I feel a bit silly for questioning you now, well you certainly proved me!

P.S. really, there is no skill involved in wardrobe, but spending 50k on scapedolls is an accurate measure of a players ability? Yes I carry scapedolls, but I didn't say that this game requires no skill you did.

Do you always misquote people? Regardless, PSU is much, much too easy to actual be bothered with players having any skill. If there was a penalty for dying or no way to refill your healing items after every mission then this might change. Until then, you get back up off the ground and continue on your merry way. At the very least you look good doing it, right?

Gibdozer
Mar 30, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hey lets run bladed legacy S2 together, I'd love to watch you teach those Magashis some humility! I'm not gonna deny that when running c ranks in parties of six with max scape dolls the game is easy. When you say a game requires no skill though you had better be able to back that up on the hardest missions(without dying or running back to the lobby for mates). You spoke earlier of laziness, spaming the same easy missions over and over again is lazy! The beauty of this game is customization weapons, clothes, and difficulty can all be tailored to your goals at any given time. Honestly take any other game, do you call it easy because you beat it on the lowest difficulty? Since you haven't figured it out yet, in video games dying is the universal penalty for playing without skill and avoiding death is the primary reason we strive for better gear in psu. Apparently you have different priorities than everyone I have ever played this game with, they all seem to try very hard to avoid in game deaths(maybe they think multiple deaths reflect a lack of skill to other players, maybe their right). And for the record I look better standing atop a mountain of my defeated foes with scores of enemies encrotching upon their inevitable doom(but as is plain to see I look best punching mammoth holes in your flawed arguments).

Hiero_Glyph
Mar 30, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hey lets run bladed legacy S2 together, I'd love to watch you teach those Magashis some humility! I'm not gonna deny that when running c ranks in parties of six with max scape dolls the game is easy. When you say a game requires no skill though you had better be able to back that up on the hardest missions(without dying or running back to the lobby for mates). You spoke earlier of laziness, spaming the same easy missions over and over again is lazy! The beauty of this game is customization weapons, clothes, and difficulty can all be tailored to your goals at any given time. Honestly take any other game, do you call it easy because you beat it on the lowest difficulty? Since you haven't figured it out yet, in video games dying is the universal penalty for playing without skill and avoiding death is the primary reason we strive for better gear in psu. Apparently you have different priorities than everyone I have ever played this game with, they all seem to try very hard to avoid in game deaths(maybe they think multiple deaths reflect a lack of skill to other players, maybe their right). And for the record I look better standing atop a mountain of my defeated foes with scores of enemies encrotching upon their inevitable doom(but as is plain to see I look best punching mammoth holes in your flawed arguments).

I'd start with editing your grammar (fixing spelling errors and inserting praragraph breaks) before you get to "punching mammoth holes in [my] flawed arguments." Curious, but what is encrotching?

Back on topic, you are making general assumptions about the goal of video games. Death in PSU holds no penalty so who cares if you die? I play to get better equipment and improve my ability to clear missions more easily. Death has no effect on this as it does not affect my clear score and has a minimal effect upon my clear time.

I'd wager that a player with good equipment could get scape'd multiple times during a run and still clear the mission faster than a player with poor equipment that never dies. To me, the player that clears the mission faster is superior despite the deaths they incurred.

Also, I much prefer SEED Express to Bladed Legacy as the only reason to run there is to farm material (mostly catilium) and there are much better ways to accomplish this than fighting all the way to the end of the mission.

Gibdozer
Mar 31, 2009, 01:55 AM
I'm glad you liked that, hope it brought a smile to your face because I wrote it just for you. My main is a FF, but I will gladly run my AF or FG against either of your classes. I will message you tomorrow night, assuming I don't have to work. I look forward to our meeting and anticipate an epic contest!

P.S. Welcome to my parlor

Hiero_Glyph
Mar 31, 2009, 01:07 PM
I am going to have to put out little contest on hold for a day or two. My system just got the RRoD and I will be borrowing a friend's console in a day or two (I bought it for him so he owes me that much). Anyway, sorry for the delay but send me the friend request and I will accept it and message you once I get my replacement system.

I will probably be running my GM for the mission, so let me know which type you prefer.