PDA

View Full Version : PSP Ad Hoc and me?

Revial
Mar 9, 2009, 08:35 PM
I'm new to how Ad Hoc and the PSP. So it comes to no surprise I have no idea what most people talk about when they say, "Have you ever played with Ad Hoc?"

Normally, I simply respond, "No." and try and change the subject. I hear with Ad Hoc you can play with other people, my question is:

How would this work?

How does this affect PSP? (Phantasy Star Portable)

Is it global?

Thank you for answering my questions and if this doesn't belong here, move it please.

yalborap
Mar 9, 2009, 10:14 PM
Well, there's two things that might be referred to as ad-hoc. First is what ad-hoc "really" is.

Ad-hoc is just a local, machine-to-machine wireless connection. For the PSP and PS: P, it means local multiplayer. It's just like playing with a link cable on an old Gameboy, but without the cable involved.

Ad-hoc as it's often referred to HERE, and on Monster Hunter forums and the like, typically refers to TUNNELED ad-hoc. Where you connect to a machine that sends the information across the internet to another machine that someone else is connected to. This gets around games not having online multiplayer, but is flawed and can be hard to set up.

Hope this helps!

Revial
Mar 9, 2009, 10:16 PM
So, it's like...I link up to my PS3 and play online with someone else using a PS3 and playing PSP?

Or is it just like LAN games?

Zarode
Mar 9, 2009, 10:43 PM
Either or. Depends how you wanna do it.

Revial
Mar 9, 2009, 10:51 PM
Ok, I think I got it but just to clarify:

I can link it up to my PS3 and play 'Actual Online' games with people or I can play with people in the same room.

Got it right?

yalborap
Mar 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
Right. And then if a game supports 'infrastructure' play, you can just connect wirelessly straight to a router and play online.