PDA

View Full Version : Swords or Axes?Which one is better to use as PT?

AnimeBoy33
Mar 10, 2009, 09:36 PM
Alright,im like abandoning my axe and not using so much,and planning of replacing my axe with a sword,b4 i do that I was wondering if which one is better

kejen
Mar 10, 2009, 10:10 PM
They both suck in my opinion. Protransers are really gunners, and for the mobs that don't want to be gunned down, spear and knuckles are perfect. Get yourself 42%+ muktrand and 42%+ gudda gant (gudda skella is cheap S rank) in all elements and you will be pretty set for the melee side.

Axes and swords are so slow. Add that to PT bad stats, and level 30 max skills. That's why I avoided them.

Gunslinger-08
Mar 10, 2009, 10:15 PM
lvl 30 Dugrega is still good for knocking over larger monsters. I'd say axe, since it at least has one utility PA (Dugrega). Swords are for flair.

Majarra
Mar 11, 2009, 12:11 AM
Axes+swords suck with PT. axes with FM or FF are the best still usable with PT just wont be the strongest thing. and swords well....swords just suck. As a protranser your main weps should be shotgun,spear and EX traps. people say laser and the people who ask say "ok ill lvl them!" but never do. Grenades for dragons and...thats it?

darkante
Mar 11, 2009, 12:30 AM
I say Axe, as Jabrogen still do a number with the right equipment.
Otherwise, no not really useful more then that itīs used for fun.
I love Anga Redda.

mll
Mar 11, 2009, 08:01 AM
Axe, swords are useless unfortunately.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Mar 11, 2009, 08:44 AM
I think swords have their uses, the gravity Break at level 40 or 50 will do some major damage to enemies whatever sword you prefer using. Especially if you time it right to doa charged hit.

Thats something i notice, hardly anybody ever times their attacks. I used to just button bash, before I realised it was like old PSO and timing was Key, in all melee attacks, from Swords to Axes even the Beast Nanoblast you can time it to do powerful hits.

Is it because you can't see the other characters special effects when they do a hard hit?

Dragwind
Mar 11, 2009, 03:35 PM
I suggest axes, especially Jabroga due to the PT's low ata modifier.

Gen2000
Mar 11, 2009, 04:29 PM
You should be using both to be a more complete, better PT but if you had to choose then Axe since no other PA really copies the way Jaborga does damage.

Axe-Jaborga - With good Axe, you can still one-shot Druas and Seed Ardite (after some DoT Trap/Shotgun weakening beforehand but still!) and it's a great follow-up to a few ticks of EX Freeze or Burn>Stun Ex Trap combos on normal mobs when solo'ing.

Sword-Gravity Break. Somebody gotta make use out of those cheap 9+, 46% Soda Ribans on the market who's ATP is like 900+. Even PT can put out some ridiculous damage with them.

Hrith
Mar 14, 2009, 10:03 PM
Spinning Break outdamages Anga Jabroga on Protranser, because of the Lv30 cap.

Sword are good to use. Axes on PT are vastly useless.

Guns are so much more powerful though, for the few occasions where you'll need melee weapons, you should use knuckles or spears, because of the high ATA.

darkante
Mar 15, 2009, 12:20 AM
Spinning Break outdamages Anga Jabroga on Protranser, because of the Lv30 cap.

Sword are good to use. Axes on PT are vastly useless.

Guns are so much more powerful though, for the few occasions where you'll need melee weapons, you should use knuckles or spears, because of the high ATA.

You feel Spinning Break is decent? I feelt it just did medicore dmg and just eat away alot of PP. :S

Hrith
Mar 15, 2009, 04:32 AM
I don't "feel" it, it's a fact. It's very hard to use, but the damage output is astronomous if you hit the maximum number of targets.

That said, the only time where you'd need Anga Jabroga on a PT is against Onmagoug or Dimmagolus, against which Spinning Break is greatly superior.

Well, maybe if you're fighting a group of Go Vahra or Vanda Merha/Orga ALL shielded, Anga Jabroga would be useful (and better than Spinning Break, because it's so difficult to land all hits from this PA on regular monsters), but I'm not sure such a situation exists at all; and if only a few have shields, Dus Majarra or Bogga Zubba are much better melee PAs to use.

PSU Phere
Mar 15, 2009, 06:25 AM
HAVING a PT, i use BOTH but i WILL admit that PT do hav a relatively low atp and ata but that isnt wut the class is designed for.... if a PT had the atp of a fortefighter or fighmaster, WITH the ata of a fortegunner or gunmaster, EVERYONE would be a PT.... except 4 those ppl who REALLY, REALLY like to spam their yellow tornado dance...

w/ my PT's lv30 gravity break and his kan yu (dont like repca's) he puts out around 4k around 5k w/ the last hit... thats not THAT strong. most fighmasters that are reading this are probably thinking "HA!! i put out 8+K NOOB!" u probably have over 1000 more atp, and on top of that probably a lv50 gravity break w/ a ridiculously grinded repca... gravity break is a pretty decent PA but its a little bit faster 2 excecute than jabroga

w/ jabroga and his ank buti he puts out around 3k dmg per hit per enemy... relatively slow nice damage tho, i'll give it that, but the only places it can be used frequently are enemy spawns that bunch up AND u know that they are coming, or on a boss that doesnt move much...

Zero-Shift
Mar 15, 2009, 06:36 AM
I personally always found swords to be useless to Protransers, access to spears being the main reason why. Axes at least have high power to somewhat compensate for the Protranser's low power. That, and both Jabroga and Dugrega are pretty good PAs. Redda isn't to shabby either.

kejen
Mar 25, 2009, 02:40 PM
I have to retract my statement I think.

Dropping a freeze trap, then doing a jabroga is pretty good. With a 46% dedda do close to 4k and my jabroga is level 23. Then finish off with SUV, jabroga again for any remaining/fresh spawned frozen mobs is pretty much my ultimate combo.

Once my jabroga gets to 30, hoping 2 freeze traps and a jabroga will hurt some of the hardest s2 spawns. (The seed ardite spawn in seed express is one example).

The only thing is I can't play with my PM anymore. She always messes me up by hitting the mobs and setting them free.

As far as swords, you are so vulnerable while swinging gravity break. In a group it's ok, but solo haven't seen much use.

kejen
Apr 1, 2009, 03:50 PM
Ended up doing 4700 with a 46% 5 grind dedda with level 30 jabroga. Break 4800 once in a while. It's pretty good when soloing after dropping a freeze trap. Can't think of a better option after a trap is dropped. 45000+ damage to nicely frozen mobs.

Did realize seed ardites can't be frozen...

mll
Apr 1, 2009, 07:46 PM
I have to say I hate spinning break. It has an incredibly thin aoe and changing direction is ... difficult (or more likely I'm just rubbish at using it).
It has great stats but I never hit enough times for it to be worthwhile.

Tsavo
Apr 2, 2009, 01:26 AM
Ended up doing 4700 with a 46% 5 grind dedda with level 30 jabroga. Break 4800 once in a while. It's pretty good when soloing after dropping a freeze trap. Can't think of a better option after a trap is dropped. 45000+ damage to nicely frozen mobs.

Did realize seed ardites can't be frozen...

Ya, I like doing that at the end of Sleeping Warriors. Drop a Virus G and two Freeze EX then wind up jabroga as the traps wear out. Makes me smile.

Freshellent
Apr 2, 2009, 02:44 AM
Just keep in mind the weapons availabile to you as a PT are tools and can be used for any situation thrown at you. Combined with traps and enviorment it's purely suituational what is "better".

Basicly I'm saying anyone here can crunch a bunch of meaningless numbers and present "facts" based on what is better left as described as bullshit.

Here's the real deal. If you want a little bit of control over a larger mob with 2 hit spots, say the creatures with 4 legs at Sakura Blast ( forget the name, Ubakrada or some shit ) you can use an Axe with Dugrega and stay directly behind it at all times without taking any damage, possibly keeping it -stunlocked-. I use that term loosely now, mind you.

Say you encounter a room full of Badira and don't feel like using a laser or shotgun to clear them out, Tornado Break does quite nicely, since it hits enough targets now.

There really is no "better". It's purely up to the moment and your playstyle. Not to mention what weapons you might actually have. If you have better Axes with nicer %s and grinds, use those. If your Swords have higher leveled PAs, give that a go instead. Use the weapons you have elements for, adjust to your mobs/map layouts. PSU has a ton of nice ways to harm your foes and gives you plenty of freedom to do so.

Generally speaking though, Dugrega for Axes is more crowd control type use. Has a nice knockdown and pin, the usually recovers quickly enough to be applied again. Jabrogas' huge start up time can easily be buffered with one tick of a Stun EX or a full tick of a Freeze EX. Redda... well Redda puts out a pretty number sometimes, and is nice for just raw damage for a single target if you just really want to use an axe.

Swords work a bit differently though. Tornado Break is great for trash mobs, little guys like Navals, Badiras, Golomoro's, what have you. ( Even though as a PT a shotgun would clear them out just as well ), Spinning Break... Personally I hate this PA, mostly because I find it's uses limited. Though, it does shine nicely with larger mobs with multiple targets.
As for Gravity Break, as a PT it just doesn't do as well but I find use for it on single target mobs that you just want to damage real quick like wizards on Neudaiz, or bosses like Momma Brain once you do get close.

All and all, your better of using guns of most of your fights as a PT. The only time you'll bust out some melee is bullet resistant mobs and for crowd control you don't want to burn traps on.