PDA

View Full Version : Pso Ps Psu

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Mar 15, 2009, 06:41 AM
hello everyone I'm taking a pole on whether everyone likes phantasy star original phantasy star universe or phantasy star online.

My favorite is easily PSO

TrueChaos
Mar 15, 2009, 07:43 AM
i've not played the original Phantasy Star, but PSO is my favorite.

by the way, this sort of thing has been done before and it usually gets lock so don't be surprised if the same thing happens here.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Mar 15, 2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks

Crazyleo
Mar 15, 2009, 01:35 PM
I happen to like all 3, for a variety of reasons.

I have played (and completed) all 4 PS titles, so my playings on PSO and PSU is tempered by my experience with those 4 titles.

I like PSO better than PSU because of the endless possiblities that PSO has. The only thing that PSU has over PSO is the story itself, and how it was presented. But once you beaten the single player game; there wasn't much else to do (off line anyways)

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Mar 15, 2009, 01:37 PM
psu had its ups but i got stuck pretty early on (in the milate 04 train) then got bored of leveling there and quit playing.

Ranmaru
Mar 15, 2009, 03:08 PM
Pso for me. ;D

KaneKahn
Mar 15, 2009, 04:17 PM
The original Phantasy Stars. Then it'd have to be Phantasy Star Online. You can dig a hole and bury Phantasy Star Universe with E.T. for the Atari.

Retehi
Mar 15, 2009, 04:49 PM
Well that's kind of insulting toward E.T. isn't it now?

Omega_Weltall
Mar 15, 2009, 05:13 PM
Phantasy Star 1-4 are my favorites
PSO = a good Action RPG with a light coat of Phantasy Star Paint

joefro
Mar 15, 2009, 05:59 PM
PSO is the first taste of PS I've had and PSO is my favorite. PSU has failed on so many levels. I haven't played any of the original PS games but I wouldn't mind trying them.

EDIT: However, I played PSU for a good amount of time but there is something about PSO that I have always enjoyed more than PSU.

Kent
Mar 15, 2009, 06:56 PM
This might be easier if you use the forum option for a Poll when making a post.

But anyway: Phantasy Star Online. Dungeon-crawling at its finest.

Though I do want to play the original Phantasy Star, I haven't gotten a chance to do so yet - I particularly like the dungeon crawler RPGs (Shining in the Darkness/the Holy Ark, et al). I've played Phantasy Stars II and IV, and they were okay.

Phantasy Star Universe, however, is a smoldering mass of poor execution, design flaws, sloppy programming, and a complete lack of optimization. There's absolutely no justification for releasing a game on the 360 that's only graphical advantage over the PlayStation 2 version is resolution, especially when the framerate and performance are so awful and unstable. Technology issues aside, severe balance issues led to hybrid characters and playstyles being cumbersome and almost worthless (I'm looking at you, binding techniques to weapons), and the extreme emphasis on feeding your PM one thing at a time to try and level it up was just an annoyingly-poor decision.

Long story short, there were a lot of decisions that went into PSU that really should've gotten the lead systems designer fired. It's weird to think that the PSP port of the game got things so much better than the full-blown console version.

KaneKahn
Mar 15, 2009, 08:00 PM
Well that's kind of insulting toward E.T. isn't it now?

Kinda. But remember your Robot Chicken now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz5IGU0VXUk

So not really after this.

Zyrusticae
Mar 16, 2009, 10:31 AM
I do like the core systems of PSU - the character customization, Photon Arts, and such, but the execution is definitely off. Having a crafting system based entirely off luck was a really questionable decision. Grinding's okay, it's just an extra that isn't entirely necessary unless you want to wield an Agito Repca. But why did they remove the adaptive music system? I can't imagine they really saved that much money off of that, and I'm pretty sure the number of lost customers over that one feature exceeds that. The lack of balance in classes and missions is rather grating - granted, there were similar issues in PSO, but they weren't as glaring (although PSO admittedly only had three classes with four races each, as opposed to something like 60 race/class combinations in PSU). It probably doesn't help that PSU's lobby system doesn't work too well with such a small population, as everybody ends up congregating in one (which they did in PSO as well, except PSO's system was considerably more newb-friendly).

And so on and so forth.

If they'd learn from their mistakes, I really wouldn't mind seeing another installment, especially one with a better-optimized engine and current-gen graphics. (Now with more realistic polygonal flesh!)

AC9breaker
Mar 16, 2009, 04:07 PM
I LIKE TURTLES

Genoa
Mar 16, 2009, 06:41 PM
I like all of them :D but as far as preference...
PSO > PSZ > PSP> PSU > PS
But seriously, there isn't one that I really dislike :P

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Mar 16, 2009, 06:50 PM
I thought Psp was the same thing as psu was I wrong by chance

RAcast Extremist
Mar 16, 2009, 07:16 PM
To me PSO is like chocolate. Hmmm... chocolate.

KaneKahn
Mar 16, 2009, 08:09 PM
I know one Phantasy Star game I hate worse than Phantasy Star Universe... Episode 3.... <_< That card crap was so lame I never touched it.

SStrikerR
Mar 16, 2009, 09:18 PM
Wow, 2 whole pages without a war? Nice one guys.

I prefer PSO over PSU.
PSO forces me to take a break every once in a while out of boredom.
PSU makes me want to /wrist when I get bored, which happens quickly.

Kent
Mar 16, 2009, 10:57 PM
I thought Psp was the same thing as psu was I wrong by chance
It's the same core game as Phantasy Star Universe, but with some things significantly changed for the better. You start off with your PM fully-levelled in a form of your choice, there are no more board or synthesis material drops, the entire synthesis portion of the game has been removed, completely (which is a very good thing for PSU), the type list has been trimmed down considerably, basic types can use A-class weapons from the get-go (as long as they meet the ATP/TP/ATA requirements), and the framerate is much steadier than the console versions.

There are probably at least a smattering of things that I'm missing from the list of things they've changed for the better - the only real problems I've been able to find from my experience with this version, is that there's no standalone online play (you need a third-party PC tunneling program or a program from the PlayStation 3's Japanese PlayStation Network) and the graphics are a bit downgraded, to the extent that some of the weapons are 2D planes with a very mild post-processing effect thrown on top.

Genoa
Mar 17, 2009, 02:09 AM
No common box was a little disappointment as well :<
However, it's not nearly as difficult to acquire rares as it is in PSU.

Also, PSO III's gameplay might not have been very intriguing, but the music in that game alone made playing it worth my time.
I have yet to come across a game with a better soundtrack than PSOIII. (Of course, this is all my opinion :/ )

jmanx
Mar 17, 2009, 04:01 AM
Phantasy Star 1-4 are my favorites
PSO = a good Action RPG with a light coat of Phantasy Star Paint

:< theres only room for one Rune though

PSO is my Fave
PSZ is my second fave
PS classic cept 3 I love especially 4 but actually like fits on the same lvl as psz :3
PSU I hate it with a iron fist just like ps3

And PSO character design are just amazing out of all the games to me. How can you not love the RAmars - Manliest class(we only smile when we kill something), FOmar - the sexy kung fu type, and RAcassys - <3 yay RAcassys :3

ShinAnt
Mar 17, 2009, 04:19 AM
Eh, I didn't grow up on any of the old PS'. I've only played them in my recent years.
I pretty neutral on the current bunch.

Yet.

I haven't logged into PSU since fall.

PS:P (or as I like to call it Mini PSU) is filling that void.

SubstanceD
Mar 17, 2009, 07:13 AM
Out of the original Phantasy Star games on the Genesis/MegaDrive the only 1 that I really like is Phantasy Star 4 which I think was an awesome game.

I love PSO with all my heat and soul, I spent years playing it, first on the Dreamcast and then later on Episodes 1+2 on the Gamecube. Someone once said that PSO was more addictive than crack, I've never tried crack before but I am sure they are right about PSO.

I am one of the few out there that will admit to liking PSU although I will admit that the game has many faults. For me the defenitive version of PSU is Phantasy Star Portable on the PSP

If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be PSU ( well the PSP version anyway ). It has significantly less replay value than PSO and there are certain things about it I don't like. Thing is, after playing PSU I find it difficult if not almost impossible going back to PSO's slow gameplay and it's tedious Mag raising. The 1 thing PSU does really well is that combat is fast paced and fun. As much as I loved playing it, PSO now feels a bit old, I've been there and done that and I have to move on.

darkante
Mar 17, 2009, 07:17 AM
I like both PSO and PSU. They got both their special thing that makes me come back.
Some reasons are..

PSO:

- Music is great, draws you in with the mystical sounds.
- Areas are beutiful and Ruins looks like just some kind of hell (which is good IMO)
- Weapons are plentiful, most of the hard to get rares is unique.

PSU:

- Gameplay is a bit faster and has a little more depth in it. Which is a nice thing.
- Plenty of customization on characters looks and appearance.
- Board hunting and synth making. Gives more reason to run about in areas.