PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I've never been so pissed... (sleep rant)

MetaZedlen
Mar 17, 2009, 04:50 AM
Ok, now normally I would be asleep right now, but lately I've been either still awake much past this time, or I would be dead aslee, but constantly having nightmares... and unfortunately this was one of those nights where I go to sleep at a "decent" time (12am), but I only get about 3 hours up until right now, and almost each hour I had a different nightmare...

I don't know what the hell is going on in my mind to be causing all of this bullshit, but it's really starting to destory my sleeping schedule... and the weird thing is that I don't really stress out about anything, and even though I should be worrying about my finals this week, I usually just play everything cool by not letting it get to me, but I guess that even doing that can't even help me at night anymore...

Well, let's just hope the sleeping pills kick in within 20 minutes...

Inazuma
Mar 17, 2009, 06:24 AM
i just went to bed around 12 and woke up 3 hours later myself, except i did it on purpose. im gonna be taking three 20 min naps during the day, so i will feel fine and have no sleep deprivation. i think all the stress from school probably did cause your nightmares but you may want to look into polyphasic sleep either way.

something else you could try is deciding not to have nightmares before you go to bed. just b/c you are sleeping, doesnt mean you give up your control. if you figure out what you want to do before you fall asleep, you should be able to stick to it. please dont use sleeping pills. learn to take control of your sleep naturally.

KodiaX987
Mar 17, 2009, 08:36 AM
Meet my sleeping pattern.

I go to bed at midnight.

I wake up at 7:30 AM.

And it's like I never slept at all.

UnderscoreX
Mar 17, 2009, 09:17 AM
I have this terrible habit where, say I'm meant to wake up at 8 AM but I wake up 6:50 look at the clock, go back to sleep, then get up at 7:10 look at the clock, then sleep 'till 7:27 look at the clock etc

Mad annoying.

Sayara
Mar 17, 2009, 09:40 AM
you may want to also do something that can use up your overused energy so you can be tired enough to sleep and stay asleep. Or in the process remove all that excess stress and angst you have.

Kent
Mar 17, 2009, 01:21 PM
Sleep cycles have never been kind to me. Mine is perpetually on a cycle of more than 24 hours - and I absolutely cannot sleep unless I'm at the end of a wake cycle, which just so happens to seem completely independent of how exhausted I am. It's not as much of a problem when there's no school or work to be attending, but it's hell when you have to get up at 5:30 every morning to get to class on time.

I had to make regular days where I'd need to stop and get some coffee to power through class in the morning, simply because my body would be at the "SLEEP TIME IS NOW" phase during class, and I not only wanted to pass, of course, but I also had a reputation and on-campus job to keep up with (both pretty much requiring that I be a straight-A student). Sometimes I'd get lucky, though, and morning sleep-time would happen on a Friday or weekend, when I had neither class nor work.

...But yeah, sleep problems are horrible to have to deal with; especially when they prevent you from keeping a regular schedule, unlike seemingly everyone else. :/

MetaZedlen
Mar 17, 2009, 01:23 PM
I have this terrible habit where, say I'm meant to wake up at 8 AM but I wake up 6:50 look at the clock, go back to sleep, then get up at 7:10 look at the clock, then sleep 'till 7:27 look at the clock etc

Mad annoying.

I used to go through that when I was still in high school, and to tell you the truth, I would much rather go through that habit instead of the shit I'm going through right now... (but not as early as you went through...)

Outrider
Mar 17, 2009, 03:56 PM

Mad annoying.

I did that all through college.

Even now, I set three separate alarms on my cell phone in the morning and always end up setting a fourth one for a nap during the time I have between getting out of the shower and having to leave for work.

It's kind of ridiculous, but uh... I guess it works, at least.

(Actually, my alarm clock goes off way early in the morning as well, but I never remember actually getting up and turning it off - I just do it without waking up. Yeah, it's across the room. Don't ask me to explain it.)

Tessu
Mar 17, 2009, 04:48 PM
Huh, my little sister is having that same problem, actually. She just told me a few days ago that she was having some serious trouble sleeping because of recurring nightmares.

I had that problem for quite a while. I still have an occasional nightmare, but not to where it's a problem. Anyway, I'm the same way about finals and such. Whenever I have a large upcoming project of sorts, or something that I know is going to take a lot more effort than I've put in, I don't really feel stressed out about it at all. I've never had test anxiety or anything like that.

But come to think of it, the last time I had trouble sleeping due to nightmares was around the same time I looked at my grades with horribly disappointing results. And though I knew I needed to really work to get those up, I didn't consciously feel the stress. Guess I was feeling it in my sleep.

Can you recall any parts of your nightmares? If you can, I'd analyze them (maybe write them down) and try to relate some nonsensical nightmarish event to something that's happening right now. That helped me a lot with figuring out what I was so subconsciously stressed about.

(Also, my sleep schedule involves going to bed between 9:45 and 11 PM and waking up at 5:15 AM.)

Smidge204
Mar 17, 2009, 04:52 PM
... and unfortunately this was one of those nights where I go to sleep at a "decent" time (12am)

If you think midnight is a "decent" time to go to sleep, you're already messed up.

That and the apparent reliance on drugs.

you may want to also do something that can use up your overused energy so you can be tired enough to sleep and stay asleep. Or in the process remove all that excess stress and angst you have.

*Bing!* We have a winner, folks! Exercise should definitely help your problem. REAL exercise, as in above and beyond your normal daily activities. Also ditch any beverages that contain caffeine and those retarded energy drinks if you use them. Quit them entirely and actually go to bed at a truly reasonable time, like 10PM or earlier.
=Smidge=

Lance813
Mar 17, 2009, 04:54 PM
I am lucky that i've never had a problem with nightmares. Although, i wish i could dream. It kinda sucks because people always tell me about their dreams at night and i never have any... sucks.

Yeah, maybe its because i sleep like a log. :wacko:

MetaZedlen
Mar 17, 2009, 05:02 PM
Yea Kent, I go through pretty much the same damn thing... it is kinda cool knowing that I can stay up all night and still be fine, but when I decide to try to go to sleep, it takes me FOREVER to fall asleep... and I think I'm even immune to sleeping pills right now... (fuck)

Tess, sometimes I can remember them because I wake up crying my eyes out (more than likely someone close to me died in that nightmare...), or it is so horrific that I can't remember it but it makes me hate some of my CLOSEST friends, even though they did nothing wrong...

It's never really been easy for me to sleep soundly at night because my ADD loves to kick in, which causes an infinite amount of things to race through my head at night, making relaxation seem like mission impossible...

Inazuma
Mar 17, 2009, 05:58 PM
I am lucky that i've never had a problem with nightmares. Although, i wish i could dream. It kinda sucks because people always tell me about their dreams at night and i never have any... sucks.

Yeah, maybe its because i sleep like a log. :wacko:

i was the same way for most of my life. if i had dreams or not, i had absolutely no memory of them. but now i have the most amazing realistic dreams ever, usually a few times a day too.

what changed for me? like i mentioned in my first post here, i took up polyphasic sleep. basically, its a more efficient way to sleep. i used to sleep around 8 hours, but now its 4 hours. i get the same amount of recovery but in half the time. and thanks to this, i often experience the most vivid dreams imaginable. its a lot of fun too. dreams aside, i strongly recommend everyone to try it out, b/c its simply better sleep.

AlexCraig
Mar 17, 2009, 06:23 PM
Alex: in bed by 5:30am, asleep by 6:00am, wake up by 1:30 pm.

Rust
Mar 17, 2009, 07:09 PM

Sounds like me. :wacko:

MetaZedlen
Mar 17, 2009, 08:05 PM

Ken (myself): in bed by 7am, asleep 2 minutes later, wake up at about 6:30pm...

yea, I got ya beat...

furrypaws
Mar 17, 2009, 11:36 PM
That's kind of an on and off thing for me too. I also need to be getting to be earlier (it's 12:30 now) but between running and homework, I normally don't have time for anything until 10 or 11.

And I like to have fun too. ;-;

I want 26 hours in a day. =/

Leviathan
Mar 18, 2009, 09:37 AM
Most people need 8 hours of sleep.
1 hour before you go to bed just turn off the computer and do something relaxing or if you have lots of energy exercise.

Midicronica
Mar 18, 2009, 09:52 AM
Since I work overnights and get off at 7am in the morning, I usually sleep from 9am to 7pm or sometimes 9am to 9pm. I can't stand when I do that because I feel terrible and I hate sleeping more than 8 hours.

Oh, look it's almost 10am and I'm tired as poo. Time for bed. :wacko:

Vanzazikon
Mar 18, 2009, 01:32 PM
Man, I slept weird today. :/ When I went to sleep at 11:00PM, it didn't feel like I was sleeping at all. I layed there for like 10 minutes or so and I looked at the clock again, an hour has passed!

MetaZedlen
Mar 18, 2009, 03:09 PM
Too much information.

Man, I slept weird today. :/ When I went to sleep at 11:00PM, it didn't feel like I was sleeping at all. I layed there for like 10 minutes or so and I looked at the clock again, an hour has passed!

When I'm tired, but not enough to fall asleep, I can get like that, and even multiple hours pass before I realize that it wasn't just 20 minutes...

Tessu
Mar 18, 2009, 04:55 PM
Often when I'm laying in bed waiting to fall asleep at night, it's a very gradual process so I usually know when I'm about to go to sleep.

However, in the morning it always catches me by surprise. See, my morning routine is to wake up, eat breakfast, lie down another 5 minutes and THEN get up and start getting ready. Some mornings, though, I lie in bed for what feels like two or three minutes, and then I lift my head and it's been twenty. Oops!

Also Zedlen, I'm not sure if you said this or not, but do you have trouble falling asleep too? Or is it just staying asleep?

MetaZedlen
Mar 18, 2009, 07:21 PM
Tess, usually it's just falling asleep, more than likely because as I said before, my ADD decides to kick in when I go to bed, causing MORE than anything and everything to run through my head for some stupid reason, making it harder than hell to fall asleep...

I think because of my constant but "corny" thinking causes me to not want to sleep at night, in which it's not too bad because when I decide not to sleep I'm not really tired, so I don't really lose anything out of it, in fact, I pretty much see it as gained time, but eventually I'll begin to straighten my schedule out (hopefully)

Good news is, my classes are finally done for a couple of weeks (but nothing going on for spring break...), so now I should begin to relax a bit easier, or I will make the sleep situation even worse, but at least I don't have to worry about getting up at a set time :D

I would also like to point out that when I made this thread, I was REALLY pissed off, probably because a nightmare caused me to think of just some sickening things I couldn't ever see myself thinking about... I guess my subconscious mind is, umm, an acid trip... but a little off topic now, I really should get back to writing my story though... I'm sure some of you are waiting for the next fight ;)

pinkace
Mar 19, 2009, 12:30 AM
Tess, usually it's just falling asleep, more than likely because as I said before, my ADD decides to kick in when I go to bed, causing MORE than anything and everything to run through my head for some stupid reason, making it harder than hell to fall asleep...

I think because of my constant but "corny" thinking causes me to not want to sleep at night, in which it's not too bad because when I decide not to sleep I'm not really tired, so I don't really lose anything out of it, in fact, I pretty much see it as gained time, but eventually I'll begin to straighten my schedule out (hopefully)

Good news is, my classes are finally done for a couple of weeks (but nothing going on for spring break...), so now I should begin to relax a bit easier, or I will make the sleep situation even worse, but at least I don't have to worry about getting up at a set time :D

I would also like to point out that when I made this thread, I was REALLY pissed off, probably because a nightmare caused me to think of just some sickening things I couldn't ever see myself thinking about... I guess my subconscious mind is, umm, an acid trip... but a little off topic now, I really should get back to writing my story though... I'm sure some of you are waiting for the next fight ;)

and that's why i suggested masturbation. A nice dose of dopamine would calm you, slow your thought process and you will relax and fall asleep faster.

Inazuma
Mar 19, 2009, 01:38 AM
and that's why i suggested masturbation. A nice dose of dopamine would calm you, slow your thought process and you will relax and fall asleep faster.
thats very sound advice. whoever deleted it before must think anything relating to sex is BAD no questions asked. next time please think before you delete good advice. just b/c you were raised to think sex is a horrible thing, doesnt mean its true. its no different than eating or sleeping.

MetaZedlen
Mar 19, 2009, 09:36 AM

Enough of that stupid suggestion already, one person has to write it out so they can get their laughs, this thread doesn't need a bunch of stupid shit like that, and there ARE ladies here...

Anyway, good news today! Went to bed at 1am last night, slept soundly until about 9:30am, and I feel so good right now :D

KodiaX987
Mar 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
there ARE ladies here...

...So?

Inazuma
Mar 19, 2009, 11:17 AM
Enough of that stupid suggestion already, one person has to write it out so they can get their laughs, this thread doesn't need a bunch of stupid shit like that, and there ARE ladies here...

Anyway, good news today! Went to bed at 1am last night, slept soundly until about 9:30am, and I feel so good right now :D

its not a stupid suggestion at all. why dont you send me a PM w/ the reason why masturbation is stupid? if you can actually come up w/ one, that is.

Aisha379
Mar 19, 2009, 12:03 PM
its not a stupid suggestion at all. why dont you send me a PM w/ the reason why masturbation is stupid? if you can actually come up w/ one, that is.

Because you do it 10 times a day.

And anything you do, any normal self-respecting person would avoid like the plague.

TA DA!

MetaZedlen
Mar 19, 2009, 01:00 PM
Thank you Aisha

@Kodia - I try to respect other people, and even though this is a forum where I don't know anyone, I try to keep things clean by avoiding what has been brought up already.

@Inazuma - I meant that I'm sick of people bringing up that suggestion, so if you don't like it, they why bother hanging around here? I was looking for some feedback that wouldn't be said from a 12-year-old.

Inazuma
Mar 19, 2009, 01:18 PM
sigh. let me try to educate you a little here. masturbation helps relieve stress and helps w/ falling asleep. so if someone complains about having both of those problems, it makes sense to suggest it. the only one acting like a 12 year old here is you. throw away what your parents told you. masturbation is not bad.

Vanzazikon
Mar 19, 2009, 01:36 PM
You really need to find a hobby, Inazuma. To use masturbation as a way to alleviate stress is plain weird... The only reason why you would masturbate is because you're body craves sexual pleasure. I knew you had certain social difficulties... but I didn't know you had a problem keeping your hands off your own genitals. I feel bad for the little guy... Having to be choked and strangled every two hours or so...

Aisha379
Mar 19, 2009, 01:42 PM
Wait a second, every 2 hours? Makes you sleepy?!

Of course, it all makes sense now, THATS why he does polyphasic sleeping!

Inazuma
Mar 19, 2009, 01:54 PM
it doesnt matter if i masturbate or not, or how often i do it. what i said was true. also, you guys are acting like i should be embarrassed or ashamed about doing it. why would i? im not ashamed to eat food when i feel hungry. how is it any different from that?

this is a problem w/ society in general. we think sex or anything related to it is bad. i wont be fooled by that BS.

the absolute best piece of advice i can give to anyone is:
question everything you are told

and ive had enough of this. you guys can continue to live in your fantasy world and reject helpful advice all day long. see ya

Rust
Mar 19, 2009, 01:57 PM
@Kodia - I try to respect other people, and even though this is a forum where I don't know anyone, I try to keep things clean by avoiding what has been brought up already.

Based off what he specifically quoted, though I could be wrong, I think his point was more about how the fact there are ladies on those boards makes it any different.
It's not more disrepectful to talk about such a topic with a guy than with a girl. We all went through sexual education at school, so girls should know about masturbation as much as guys do.

I agree with your opinion about respecting people, but it would have been more relevant to point out this forum is supposed to be a public forum and that kids can have access to this thread and read its content.

sigh. let me try to educate you a little here. masturbation helps relieve stress and helps w/ falling asleep. so if someone complains about having both of those problems, it makes sense to suggest it. the only one acting like a 12 year old here is you. throw away what your parents told you. masturbation is not bad.

It might make sense to suggest it.
The first time it's been posted, that's when it's been suggested.
Now the OP took your suggestion into consideration (even though the post has been deleted, he's been able to read it before it was gone) and stated he wasn't going for this solution and didn't want to hear about it again. Which you ignored and kept bringing the topic up again and again.

Suggesting =/= Trying to stuff your own beliefs into people's head.
I find it quite amusing you're talking about education when you're obviously not having any yourself.

Outrider
Mar 19, 2009, 02:10 PM
the absolute best piece of advice i can give to anyone is:
question everything you are told

Unless they're questioning something you're telling them?

Hey logic, meet flaw.

Inazuma
Mar 19, 2009, 02:25 PM
Unless they're questioning something you're telling them?

Hey logic, meet flaw.

nope. question everything i say too.

Aisha379
Mar 19, 2009, 02:52 PM
nope. question everything i say too.

But when we do that, you just bitch a lot =/

Kent
Mar 19, 2009, 03:31 PM
It's funny how common this is in people. Not necessarily commenting on this particular back-and-forth, just interjecting:

Especially when I was living in Mississippi. Question something someone says? "Because I said so." Question it again, this time paired with the lack of logic in the previous answer? That's a belting (if you're lucky).

Personally, I maintain that if you don't question things people say... You're just plain gullible. It's one thing to trust someone's judgment, but it's something else entirely to consider someone's statements as infallible.

Back on topic, however, it has been scientifically proven that there are health benefits to masturbation... But hell, if you don't believe it, go do some research on the subject. :wacko:

MetaZedlen
Mar 19, 2009, 03:36 PM

Ok, I'm not bashing anybody that does masterbate (I'll admit, I do it too...), but I'm just saying that I'd appreciate it if that hadn't have come up... I've read lots of things about it, and I know that there is nothing wrong with it, but I'm just saying that I just don't want it being brought up.

Aisha, you keep hitting everything right on the head, but still, we all have to remember that Inazuma is always right... no matter what we say...

Inazuma
Mar 19, 2009, 03:37 PM

its b/c you arent actually questioning what im saying, just talking nonsense. for example in this case, you should try to explain to me how masturbation does NOT relieve stress or help w/ sleep. but all you did is try to make fun for me for masturbating a lot. see the difference?

"if you are hungry, eat some food. it helps" - inazuma

"you eat food all the time, lololol" - aisha

Retehi
Mar 19, 2009, 03:59 PM
This is like watching monkeys at the zoo fling the same piece of poo at each other, over and over.

Ketchup345
Mar 19, 2009, 04:35 PM
Way off topic. Closed.

Check if any medications you are on may cause nightmares.