PDA

View Full Version : Wearing the Same Shirt

Solstis
Mar 21, 2009, 10:52 PM
It seriously ruins my day when I see someone wearing the same shirt as me.

I sometimes think of what I want to wear the next day (how do I remember these sort of things?), correlating shoes, shirt, pants, etc.

I don't shop at Americanpostale Eaglefich, which saves me some grief, but it does happen every now and then.

Anyone else experience this?

Example: Some guy in my class had the same kind of sandals, so I tried my best to avoid him. I would try and sit on the opposite side of the room, and even though I'm pretty sure he noticed and didn't care, it still bothered me.

Randomness
Mar 21, 2009, 10:55 PM
No, my shirts are utterly plain.

Solstis
Mar 21, 2009, 11:18 PM
No, my shirts are utterly plain.

I've started moving in that direction, but even after donating three bags of clothes, I still have too many to rationalize buying more.

That and I want to look cute/charming sometimes (yes, really).

Leviathan
Mar 21, 2009, 11:31 PM
It's been happening to me recently.
Like my purple zebra hoodie. ):<

After I see someone else wear it I tend to not wear it for awhile, especially if I come across them often, like at school.

However I do find it a bit odd that when I do wear it, even after NOT wearing it for awhile, they wear it.

furrypaws
Mar 21, 2009, 11:43 PM
It's worse when they wear the same shoes as you. Shoes are worn for at least a year, maybe even a few. >_<

Solstis
Mar 21, 2009, 11:55 PM
It's worse when they wear the same shoes as you. Shoes are worn for at least a year, maybe even a few. >_<

The shirt or jacket thing is annoying. Someone wearing the same shoes is traumatic.

Unless they're Converse. You kind of had that coming, then.

KodiaX987
Mar 22, 2009, 12:11 AM
Try my method.

wornShirt = allMyShirts[rand()*allMyShirts.length];
wornPants = allMyPants[rand()*allMyPants.length];
goToWork(wornShirt, wornPants);

further ahead in the code...

if (seePerson())
{
while (sameShirt() || samePants())
{
doNotGiveAFuck();
}
}

TheOneHero
Mar 22, 2009, 12:40 AM
Make your own or buy classy shirts at Good Will.

beatrixkiddo
Mar 22, 2009, 01:04 AM
You should delete your character IRL and re-roll with a new costume.

Gentlemen
Mar 22, 2009, 01:22 AM
Try my method.

wornShirt = allMyShirts[rand()*allMyShirts.length];
wornPants = allMyPants[rand()*allMyPants.length];
goToWork(wornShirt, wornPants);

further ahead in the code...

if (seePerson())
{
doNotGiveAFuck();
}

Changed the code a bit.

I rarely see people wearing the same cloths as me as I like to wear simple things. Jeans, my boots and a random T-shirt coupled with the occasional jacket works wonders every day. Generally, if I see someone with a matching article of clothing I like to go out of my way to compliment them on their fine taste.

Powder Keg
Mar 22, 2009, 02:24 AM
I make a lot of silly custom shirts, so I usually don't have that problem. I only saw someone who had the same "I do all my own stunts" with a stick figure shirt as me, but I wasn't wearing it on the same day.

Zyrusticae
Mar 22, 2009, 02:26 AM
Meh. I rarely ever see someone wearing the same stuff as me, simply because I have a taste for simple Ts with solid colors (usually something neutral) and almost always wear one of my plain sweaters in cold/cool weather.

Really, I don't see why it matters. It happens. There's simply a limited number of clothing designs out there...

Weeaboolits
Mar 22, 2009, 08:33 AM
I dunno about you, but I'd find it amusing, personally.

SStrikerR
Mar 22, 2009, 09:41 AM
I just hate it that there are a few hoodies that I'd like to buy, but of course I've already seen people who have them. So now I'm left with a shitty selection lest I risk wearing the good hoodie the same day as someone else.

Tessu
Mar 22, 2009, 12:34 PM
I once saw someone with the same glasses as me.

Shirts, shoes, pants, hoodies, socks; it doesn't matter, they're going to change them the next day (hopefully). But if they've got your glasses, then you're screwed, because those aren't changing anytime soon.

I, therefore, have suffered more.

(Actually, it didn't bother me one bit. And it doesn't. If I see someone with the same clothing as me, I just tell them they have good taste.)

beatrixkiddo
Mar 22, 2009, 12:39 PM
I once saw someone with a hoodie with the same fabric pattern as my boxers. Old Navy likes to reuse fabric it seems.

Solstis
Mar 22, 2009, 12:47 PM
I once saw someone with a hoodie with the same fabric pattern as my boxers. Old Navy likes to reuse fabric it seems.

You should've showed them to compare. :P

Also, it is not so much "The world is ending" annoyance as "I temporarily lost my keys in a pile of notes" annoyance. Actually, that is enough to ruin my day, and yes, I am superficial. Super AWESOME ficial.

Outrider
Mar 22, 2009, 04:22 PM
And here I thought this was going to be a rant about people who wear the same shirt two days in a row.

Solstis
Mar 22, 2009, 04:42 PM
And here I thought this was going to be a rant about people who wear the same shirt two days in a row.

That would just be silly.

Zarode
Mar 22, 2009, 08:26 PM

Come in expecting that, got something just as equally stupid. If I saw someone with the same clothes as me on, I'd say "Hey, great sense of fashion." or something. You really shouldn't care that much considering there are so many people in the world, there is a good chance you will find someone with your same sense of fashion.

I think you are just being silly about it.

Kent
Mar 22, 2009, 11:24 PM
One time, I saw a classmate of mine walk into the room with a brand new laptop.

The laptop satchel he had purchased for it was exactly the same as mine.

Oh noes. It's the end of the world. After all, someone purchased something that looks extremely similar, or is even the same model as something I did! This never happens in video game-heavy groups and such.

Nights93
Mar 22, 2009, 11:50 PM
yea know how that feels after i see it i have to go and change

Outrider
Mar 22, 2009, 11:51 PM
Whenever I've seen somebody with the same shirt on, I usually say something along the lines of, "Hey, nice shirt."

And then they look at me weird and walk away.

Solstis
Mar 23, 2009, 12:54 AM
One time, I saw a classmate of mine walk into the room with a brand new laptop.

The laptop satchel he had purchased for it was exactly the same as mine.

Oh noes. It's the end of the world. After all, someone purchased something that looks extremely similar, or is even the same model as something I did! This never happens in video game-heavy groups and such.

There's less variety regarding laptop cases and sleeves. I'm not particularly bothered by that. I only have one laptop sleeve, I'm going to use it regardless. I don't wake up in the morning thinking "I'm gonna use my special laptop case, because today's a special day!" No. I use my case because I don't want my laptop to look like I chew on it. Your example, I assume you knew before you posted it, was flawed. It's okay, I'd probably do the same thing to you. In fact, I think I will in a few sentences.

It is just funny/weird when I planned an outfit in advance, and then see that someone else is wearing something similar. Bit of a letdown when you're trying to be a special snowflake.

As a side note, I am amused by the sheer moxie and swagger some people have displayed in the thread. I am also amused by how the replies are mostly split by demographic.

Imagine being on a date. Yes, okay, I know. Restaurant, whole deal. Okay, now imagine that someone a few tables over is wearing the same shirt. That's your first date shirt. Unless you really hate the idea of being with someone else, I'd assume that you'd want to impress your date. Yes, intelligence and wit is important, but if you're not willing to dress up, you're probably a self-centered jerk. I'm not saying a tux and a tie. Basically wear a nice polo or long-sleeved shirt, slacks or jeans, and drop the crocs.

(don't wear crocs)

"Well, I don't want to be with someone that shallow" is not an acceptable response. It easily translates to "I drive prospects away with my ridiculous set of standards."

(this has been a long side note)

@Zarode: I'm pretty sure that you missed where I clearly inferred that I was being silly. Y'know, two posts above yours. Gosh, reading.

Gentlemen
Mar 23, 2009, 01:18 AM
There's less variety regarding laptop cases and sleeves. I'm not particularly bothered by that. I only have one laptop sleeve, I'm going to use it regardless. I don't wake up in the morning thinking "I'm gonna use my special laptop case, because today's a special day!" No. I use my case because I don't want my laptop to look like I chew on it. Your example, I assume you knew before you posted it, was flawed. It's okay, I'd probably do the same thing to you. In fact, I think I will in a few sentences.

It is just funny/weird when I planned an outfit in advance, and then see that someone else is wearing something similar. Bit of a letdown when you're trying to be a special snowflake.

As a side note, I am amused by the sheer moxie and swagger some people have displayed in the thread. I am also amused by how the replies are mostly split by demographic.

Imagine being on a date. Yes, okay, I know. Restaurant, whole deal. Okay, now imagine that someone a few tables over is wearing the same shirt. That's your first date shirt. Unless you really hate the idea of being with someone else, I'd assume that you'd want to impress your date. Yes, intelligence and wit is important, but if you're not willing to dress up, you're probably a self-centered jerk. I'm not saying a tux and a tie. Basically wear a nice polo or long-sleeved shirt, slacks or jeans, and drop the crocs.

(don't wear crocs)

"Well, I don't want to be with someone that shallow" is not an acceptable response. It easily translates to "I drive prospects away with my ridiculous set of standards."

(this has been a long side note)

@Zarode: I'm pretty sure that you missed where I clearly inferred that I was being silly. Y'know, two posts above yours. Gosh, reading.

Getting in a friz about a laptop case is on the same level as getting in a friz over an article of clothing.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 23, 2009, 01:32 AM
That's what I thought too.

Shirts can be worn for more than a day, depending what you're doing.

Especially if you've only got so many. ;-;

Zarode
Mar 23, 2009, 01:59 AM

I'd watch that attitude. I was going to call you something nastier, and make the post generally more negative. Gosh, common sense and drama~

UnderscoreX
Mar 23, 2009, 04:20 AM
What the hell at people complaining about this, have you guys read any other topic in this section ?

Also my clothes are much too ballin' so I hardly ever see poeple wearing the same.

Vanzazikon
Mar 23, 2009, 10:57 AM
I remember a random guy said to me, "Nice shirt, where did you get it?" I said Wal-Mart and the very next day he was wearing the same exact shirt...

That was weird. :wacko:

raikomaru40
Mar 23, 2009, 11:06 AM
That's what I thought too.

Shirts can be worn for more than a day, depending what you're doing.

Especially if you've only got so many. ;-;

I wear the same hoody/jeans all day every day, but I do change my t-shirt/boxers.

KodiaX987
Mar 23, 2009, 11:36 AM
Hey guys, welcome to Rants. Whatever you do, make sure you don't diss other people's rants. That would break my fucking heart!

Randomness
Mar 23, 2009, 11:39 AM
Not to mention that's the very first rule for this section.

Vanzazikon
Mar 23, 2009, 11:57 AM
Trolls beware. Randomness and Kodia teams up for rant patrol.

Kylie
Mar 23, 2009, 11:59 AM
Why should I care about people wearing the same stuff as me? I wear it better than them, and that's the bitchiest thing I've ever said on PSO-World... maybe. :lol: But in all seriousness, I'm really not that concerned about being an "individual." I don't often see someone wearing the same stuff as me (at the same time), and it doesn't really bother me when I do. I think obsessing about individuality is really counterproductive to being an individual.

Hell, I've even been accused of stealing looks. I've been avoiding it for a while because the last thing I want to do is disrespect someone's personal style, but if I like something, you can bet I'm going to buy it. I don't care if everyone's wearing it, no one's wearing it, or my best friend's wearing it. I think that makes me more of my own person than someone that says, "I like this one a lot better, but I'm going to buy this one because no one has it!" /endrant

Basically, I'm empathetic here, but it doesn't bother me as much.

Solstis
Mar 23, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hey guys, welcome to Rants. Whatever you do, make sure you don't diss other people's rants. That would break my fucking heart!

Meanie-face.

@Zarode: Oh goodness golly gee goldfish.

@Same clothes in a row people: If I'm not going to be going anywhere in particular, I'll wear the shirt I slept in. I'll wear the same pants when I go out, but not usually the same shirt (I tend to sweat easily).

I also tend to re-wear hoodies and jackets. I'm not quite that OCD.

Edit: sweat, not swear

astuarlen
Mar 23, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hey, Solstis, why don't you learn to DGAF? Seriously, there's nothing more uncool than admitting you care or having some sort of quirky peeve. Please come back when you have something less shallow to complain about, like your imaginary internet girlfriend or those other guys cheatin' in that game (jerks!).

I don't wear clothes, so I don't really know where you're coming from. (But if I saw some bloke strolling around in the same skin as I was--yeah, I guess I'd be a little cheesed.)
What really gets my goatee is seeing other characters using my costume and my weapon in That Game...
Woah, sorry, all this silliness has gotten my dander up.

I'm actually surprised I don't see other folks wearing the same shirts as I*, because I am in a college town and I do own a lot of Threadless (kind of excited to buy some "real clothes" after I graduate, yay!). I suspect the awkwardness of encountering one's sartorial double would also depend somewhat on the occasion/location.

Re: shirts doing double duty before washing: if it's on top of another layer, has no visible dirt, and smells fine, I refile for a second wear. Shirts that directly contact my torso go straight into the laundry basket. I actually have my shirts divided in two sections (just washed and once-worn), each section being arranged from left to right by how recently each item has been publicly exhibited. This sounds very odd and anal, but bear in mind that I pretty much keep everything else in scrupulous disarray. Hmm, maybe that makes it worse.

*Pay no heed to the contradictions in this post.

Leviathan
Mar 23, 2009, 04:55 PM
I think it's really bad if someone come up to and then asks where you bought it and then they go out and buy the same thing and they damn well know it.

Tessu
Mar 24, 2009, 02:38 AM
This does remind me, actually, of a time where me and another girl were wearing very similar shirts. I was told that I looked really nice that day.

Then later in the bathroom I heard some girl saying "Gee, that kinda shirt looks WAY better on Kayleigh than it does on Tess." Ouch. That's about the only insecurity that I have with seeing someone wearing the same clothing as me (or similar).

Nitro Vordex
Mar 24, 2009, 05:59 PM
I tend to laugh when I see somebody with the same shirt as me. Usually it's a friend anyway, and I'll poke fun at them, and they'll do the same.

raikomaru40
Mar 25, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm glad I got my sweet Gir hoody from Hot Topic, they change their selection practically every day.......

This, but in hoodie form....
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4198PSKXWRL._AA280_.jpg