PDA

View Full Version : Failout 3 DLC

AC9breaker
Mar 24, 2009, 04:15 PM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Chuck_Norris
Mar 24, 2009, 06:31 PM
Just curious, are you complaining about the DLC itself, or the fact that PS3 doesn't get it at all? :disapprove:

AC9breaker
Mar 24, 2009, 06:35 PM
complaining that the latest DLC available for 360 is corrupted and I already spent my MS fun bucks on it instead of sweet Rock Band 2 track packs. Was really looking forward to playing it too. Probably gonna be a few weeks before Bethesda releases a patch for it.

SpikeOtacon
Mar 24, 2009, 06:51 PM
I have to admit, I lol'd a little bit on how badly they butchered that one.

Chuck_Norris
Mar 24, 2009, 07:00 PM
Hmph, at least you guys get the DLC. >->

Itachi1990
Mar 24, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hmph, at least you guys get the DLC. >->

So get a 360...theres a whole marketplace of DLC for almost every game =o

Zyrusticae
Mar 24, 2009, 08:08 PM
Lolwut?

I'd sooner jump ship than start buying the overpriced shit that makes up the majority of Xbox Live DLC. > . <!

Retehi
Mar 24, 2009, 08:11 PM
Has anyone tried the DLC for the PC yet?

Chuck_Norris
Mar 25, 2009, 01:16 AM
So get a 360...theres a whole marketplace of DLC for almost every game =o

Oh yes, I'm going to give up my 3 level 20 characters, who have beaten the game and most of the quests, buy a 360, buy the game AGAIN, and THEN pay for the DLC. THAT makes a lot of sense.

SpikeOtacon
Mar 25, 2009, 01:23 AM
Oh yes, I'm going to give up my 3 level 20 characters, who have beaten the game and most of the quests, buy a 360, buy the game AGAIN, and THEN pay for the DLC. THAT makes a lot of sense.

Sounds like you didn't think your cunning purchase all the way through, Ace.

amtalx
Mar 25, 2009, 09:28 AM
Lolwut?

I'd sooner jump ship than start buying the overpriced shit that makes up the majority of Xbox Live DLC. > . <!

In general DLC (PS3 included) isn't overpriced. People pay $60 for a games that last 8-10 hours. If you pay $10 for DLC that lasts 4 hours, you are actually getting a better value.

Randomness
Mar 25, 2009, 09:54 AM
In general DLC (PS3 included) isn't overpriced. People pay $60 for a games that last 8-10 hours. If you pay $10 for DLC that lasts 4 hours, you are actually getting a better value.

See, that's the real problem. 8-10 hours of gameplay is NOT worth $60.

For that much, I want 80+ out of a game.

Sol_B4dguy
Mar 25, 2009, 10:30 AM
I was wondering when this would show up here.

The really sad part is that this is Microsoft's problem: the file was corrupted on upload. PC and foreign language users are reporting it works just fine.

That said, Besthesda's been pretty good on updates on its status. Hopefully it'll be ready today like they promised.

Zyrusticae
Mar 25, 2009, 12:24 PM

What Randomness said.

Also, the great majority of Xbox Live DLC is NOT 4 hours of gameplay for $10 (if it was, I wouldn't be complaining, would I?). Instead, we pay for inane shit like $5 for Darth Vader for Soul Calibur IV and paying for Street Fighter IV costumes that should have been included as a part of the game in the first place. Among other such travesties.

Outrider
Mar 25, 2009, 12:28 PM
Good news: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173432

Bethesda is going to try and put the fixed file up sometime today.

I disagree. Yes, all things being equal, of course I'd rather have more time out of a single playthrough than less, but I've played plenty of games that were either so good (or had so many extras), that a 10 hour playthrough was absolutely worth the $60.

Resident Evil 5, for instance, took only about 10 hours for me to beat it. But the additional content (and bonuses for playing through again) make me feel like it was entirely worth the purchase.

But maybe that doesn't count - after all, score attack modes aren't meant to just be played once. So, I'll use Prince of Persia: Sands of Time as an example. That game took me about 13 hours on my first playthrough, with no real bonuses or extra modes. Not a particularly long game, but it was one of the best games of the last generation and I think it was absolutely worth it.

I'm far more willing to pay for 10 hours of awesome than 80 hours of "meh." Sure, there are times where that ratio might be skewed for one reason or another, but so far it's been a good rule of thumb.

amtalx
Mar 25, 2009, 01:11 PM

It depends entirely on how much you enjoy that 8-10 hours. Bethesda's games are usually time sinks so they aren't particularly good example.

puppet master
Mar 26, 2009, 09:40 AM
i just bought the pitt yesterday and i have run into no problems other the my auto axe stop spinning when i use it but its easily fixed just drop the weapon and pick it back up. i am currently tring to find some metal things for a certain quest. so what kind of problems are you haveing with yours?

Kent
Mar 26, 2009, 04:25 PM
It depends entirely on how much you enjoy that 8-10 hours. Bethesda's games are usually time sinks so they aren't particularly good example.
Especially since they're gratingly-boring timesinks, generally with less direction than The Sims.

Case in point on gameplay time vs. monetary investment:

Resident Evil 5. First playthrough for me took... Something like eight hours. The next difficulty took about six. Still working on the last difficulty... and then there's Mercenaries.

While it is true that you can beat the game's story mode in under 10 hours while playing lazily and reading every file you come across at your leisure, the game is extremely high-quality and fun - it was well worth the money spent on it, for me. The Mercenaries post-game bonus mode only adds to that.

On the other hand, you can have a game like The World Ends with You, which was about $35 when it came out... And I have like 200 hours on my save - not just because it's easy to rack up the hours, but because it's so much fun just to play, that you really want to keep playing, despite that you've beaten the game and are just grinding stuff for the sake of grinding (because, oddly enough, it's a grind - and you know it's a grind - but it's still the best thing ever, somehow).

No, I wouldn't say that they're equal in dollar-per-awesome. Not even close; but they're still both well worth their respective prices to me.

McLaughlin
Mar 26, 2009, 11:43 PM
A Bethesda game...with a glitch... Never saw that coming.

I've never been very fond of Bethesda games. They look ugly, they're by and large boring (for me anyway. Once you get X equipment the quests become pointless, and the quests are the whole reason to continue playing), and they're always glitchy (lookin' at you Oblivion).

amtalx
Mar 27, 2009, 09:07 AM
Bugs aside, I have to disagree with the nature of Bethesda's games. I like the fact that you really aren't required to do anything. Its essentially an RPG take on a sandbox game.

Outrider
Mar 27, 2009, 10:25 AM
Bugs aside, I have to disagree with the nature of Bethesda's games. I like the fact that you really aren't required to do anything. Its essentially an RPG take on a sandbox game.

My problem with them is that large parts of the games exist just because they can but without any reason. It just feels like sometimes they didn't ask the all-important question: "Sure, we can do this, but why?"

In the end, I always feel like they're just bloated - too many unnecessary or unimportant things to do that end up bogging down everything else.

amtalx
Mar 27, 2009, 11:23 AM
Normally I would agree with that if Bethesda didn't make such open-ended games. In "standard" games you have to be more careful to make content move the game forward because the player will encounter it at some point or another since the game is linear. However, with something like Oblivion, you are free of that requirement. That extra content is in there for people that want to stop and smell the roses, but it can be completely ignored without any consequence.

Outrider
Mar 27, 2009, 12:06 PM
Normally I would agree with that if Bethesda didn't make such open-ended games. In "standard" games you have to be more careful to make content move the game forward because the player will encounter it at some point or another since the game is linear. However, with something like Oblivion, you are free of that requirement. That extra content is in there for people that want to stop and smell the roses, but it can be completely ignored without any consequence.

No, I get that. To me it's more about the little things. One example I always think about deals with picking up objects around the game world. Why can I pick up every coffee mug I come across and add it to me inventory? So I can sell it for 1 credit somewhere down the line? Is there very much purpose to that?

And I'm also not entirely sold on the open-ended aspect of their game world. Now, my time with Oblivion and Fallout is fairly limited, but I just remember going from place to place and feeling like there was no real need for so much space in between areas. I love the idea that they've crafted a massive open world for me to explore, but I also wish that half of it wasn't made up of non-interactive, stationary objects like trees and rocks. Gorgeous trees and rocks, but trees and rocks nonetheless.

It's those kind of things that get in the way of my enjoyment (well, I'm also not a fan of their melee gameplay and some character and art design, but that's for a whole other topic). It might just be that I'm a little too OCD for them, or that I'm asking for too much, and I can live with that.

Also - as neat as the character-building process in Fallout 3 is, why in the world am I such an excellent jumper as a baby? Damn kid must be Super Mario or something.