PDA

View Full Version : Twilight: It IS NOT because I am a guy.

furrypaws
Mar 28, 2009, 11:37 AM
Twilight is AWFUL because it is AWFUL.

/endrant

Rant has probably been done before, but I just had to vent after being told that "Well, it's probably just because you're a guy" by EVERY GIRL who has asked me my opinion on Twilight.

Leviathan
Mar 28, 2009, 12:13 PM
I never saw what was great about Twilight.
The internet has much more better fanfics than that literary train wreck.
And A LOT of fanfics are bad too.

Tessu
Mar 28, 2009, 12:18 PM
On the other hand, the only* possible way to enjoy it is if you have copious amounts of estrogen. As in, enough to where you leave puddles of it wherever you walk. And clouds of it when you breathe.

So they're partially right.

(*Some restrictions apply.)

TheOneHero
Mar 28, 2009, 03:09 PM
Twilight: Setting up young girls for disappointment and teaching them having an emotionally abusive boyfriend and being submissive are the best things you can have and do, since 2005.

furrypaws
Mar 28, 2009, 06:16 PM
Twilight: Setting up young girls for disappointment and teaching them having an emotionally abusive boyfriend and being submissive are the best things you can have and do, since 2005.

What's funniest is the same girls who were whining about J.K. Rowling being sexist because most of the leads were males are the same girls who are drooling over Twilight.

I never saw what was great about Twilight.
The internet has much more better fanfics than that literary train wreck.
And A LOT of fanfics are bad too.

Aww, come on. Don't have so much chagrin. After all, she does not reuse words commonly, for which I reward her with chagrin. In fact, it would be chagrinful for me to do so, especially if I were to speak unto her with chagrin. I have to cut my post short, it's raining chagrinfully outside and I don't want to have to restart it chagrinally.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 28, 2009, 06:42 PM
Y'know, when I went into the theater to see that, I was expecting a vampire flick. As it turned out, Twilight was very nearly as much about vampires as Ultraviolet was about super-soldiers. :disapprove:

I'm aware of the books, but much like the Harry Potter series, I refuse to touch them.

Powder Keg
Mar 28, 2009, 07:04 PM
Everyone is all about this out of nowhere....I have to admit I'm kinda curious what all the hype is about.

Mysterious-G
Mar 28, 2009, 07:22 PM
Am I the only one feeling the same way about the H.P. books?
The long, long, lonnngggg time until Harry finally arrived in Hogwarts - That was torture!
(Only in the books.)

Well, normally a movie made from a book turns out to be good for the ones that never readed the book, but awful for thsoe that did.
Like Eragon. Especially Eragon.
But every person I know that readed Twilight enjoyed the movie. So if the movie really is bad, then because the book is, lol.
But fans of the book seem to enjoy the movie, aswell. ;3

Aisha379
Mar 28, 2009, 07:38 PM
My sister, 14 years old, mind you, was a big fan of the first few books.

Then after she read the last one, she sat down with me and explained (from her perspective) the good parts, and the extremely "wtf" parts. Most of which came from the last book.

Rarely have I ever laughed so hard in my life.

Now, I understand girls generally enjoy more timid and...girly things. But some of the things she described to me that were in that book were just so outlandishly retarded sounding I had a hard time swallowing the idea that even most girls would like it.

http://fc57.deviantart.com/fs36/f/2008/259/d/3/Head_Trip____Breaking_Dawn____by_shinga.jpg

Seriously....what....the......fuck......

Gunslinger-08
Mar 28, 2009, 08:07 PM
I lol'd. Just read the Wikipedia article on the series, and it does sound weird to me.

TheOneHero
Mar 28, 2009, 08:08 PM
Eragon was terribly written, it was LotR, Star Wars, and Narnia all thrown into one. Now, don't get me wrong, Star Wars is the classic retelling of many great stories, but Eragon failed so hard in trying to be the new 'Star Wars'.

But this is about Twilight, so never mind. >_>;

For those enjoying the movie, it's because they're uneducated in everything that makes a film good.

furrypaws
Mar 28, 2009, 09:18 PM
That comic posted earlier made my day. ^_^

I might read through the book one more time and pick out any quotes that make me laugh. Like this one.

"I noticed that he wore no jacket himself, just a light gray knit V-neck shirt with long sleeves. Again, the fabric clung to his perfectly muscled chest. It was a colossal tribute to his face that it kept my eyes away from his body."

Leviathan
Mar 28, 2009, 09:23 PM
^That's so cheesy.

I remember something about him or someone sparkling.
That takes the cake.

TheOneHero
Mar 28, 2009, 09:36 PM
"I noticed that he wore no jacket himself, just a light gray knit V-neck shirt with long sleeves. Again, the fabric clung to his perfectly muscled chest. It was a colossal tribute to his face that it kept my eyes away from his body."

Sentence kind of contradicts itself, :lol:

Mewnie
Mar 28, 2009, 11:44 PM
Ah, Twilight. Terriblly written purple prose.

furrypaws
Mar 28, 2009, 11:45 PM
^That's so cheesy.

I remember something about him or someone sparkling.
That takes the cake.

"Edward in the sunlight was shocking. I couldn't get used to it, though I'd been staring at him all afternoon. His skin, white despite the faint flush from yesterday's hunting trip, literally sparkled, like thousands of tiny diamonds were embedded on the surface. He lay perfectly still in the grass, his shirt over his sculpted, incandescent chest, his scintillating arms bare. His glistening, pale lavender lids were shut, though of course he didn't sleep. A perfect statue, covered in some unknown stone, smooth like marble, glittering like crystal."

Gunslinger-08
Mar 29, 2009, 12:25 AM
"Edward in the sunlight was shocking. I couldn't get used to it, though I'd been staring at him all afternoon. His skin, white despite the faint flush from yesterday's hunting trip, literally sparkled, like thousands of tiny diamonds were embedded on the surface. He lay perfectly still in the grass, his shirt over his sculpted, incandescent chest, his scintillating arms bare. His glistening, pale lavender lids were shut, though of course he didn't sleep. A perfect statue, covered in some unknown stone, smooth like marble, glittering like crystal."

http://www.jasperfforde.com/specops/images/cheese_alert.jpg

Could someone tell me whether or not the whole book is like this? I'm just about at the point where I'm curious enough to ask a friend about it, but not enough to read it.

Shadowpawn
Mar 29, 2009, 12:27 AM
I guess in Twilight you have to have skin the hue of porcelain in order to be considered handsome.

Solstis
Mar 29, 2009, 12:35 AM

What's next? 'He effervesced like the altoids of my heart? Exquisitely bubbling in the moonlight dark sky in the pitch black night time?'

Sidney
Mar 29, 2009, 12:51 AM
I'm super-pale, and I don't sparkle in the sun! :cry: Where are my sparklies?!

Facetiousness aside, I hate Twilight. I have never read the books nor seen the movie, but the small snippets I've read from it are enough to solidly seal in my opinion. It sounds like all Edward needs to be labeled as a Gary Stu is a passage rambling on about how his eyes are "deep black, with silver flecks". Because the true sign of a Gary Stu or Mary Sue are the multicolored eyes.

Matic
Mar 29, 2009, 06:25 AM
Well.
I'm glad I haven't eaten yet. Hell, I may never eat again.
Thanks, Twilight author!

Kent
Mar 29, 2009, 11:08 AM
I remember reading the intro to the first Eragon book.

My brother's fianceé pleaded, "Just read the intro, it'll prove to you that reading is fun and make you want to read the whole book."

Needless to say, I was quickly reaffirmed of exactly how gratingly boring reading fiction can be, promptly retreating to my DS for detoxification.

Y'know, when I went into the theater to see that, I was expecting a vampire flick. As it turned out, Twilight was very nearly as much about vampires as Ultraviolet was about super-soldiers. :disapprove:
I was under the impression that Ultraviolet was about the practical implications of utilizing a firing circle in an armed combat situation.

But then again, I just saw the trailer.

Cell132
Mar 29, 2009, 01:22 PM
I wasn't aware there was hype to this. I saw the trailer, and did not like anything I was interested in. It looked like a soap opera with vampires is memory serves.

Kylie
Mar 29, 2009, 02:17 PM
I don't like "Twilight" because I'm a girl, so I wouldn't think you dislike it because you're a guy. The movie has a good direction, great music, decent actors, and an interesting story. Edward does not have an emotional hold on me like he does other people. In fact, I find him very creepy, but I happen to like the movie for what it is. :-? If you don't like it, that's your business, and it has nothing to do with your gender.

unicorn
Mar 29, 2009, 07:20 PM
My friend made me watch this train wreck. I wouldn't dare to pick up the books for myself though (but I also don't read, so yeah).

As for the movie goes....The acting was rather bad and the leads weren't that attractive (especially the girl, wtf). I must admit though, after a couple drinks, Edward Cullen did start to look pretty attractive.

Sha Sha
Mar 29, 2009, 08:59 PM
D= Twilight
BLEH I read the first 2 pages and asked my friend to burn to book
it was...horrible.. D=
VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE!!!!!

Leviathan
Mar 29, 2009, 11:24 PM
Is it supposed to be a harlequin romance?

Powder Keg
Mar 30, 2009, 12:06 AM
I don't like "Twilight" because I'm a girl, so I wouldn't think you dislike it because you're a guy. The movie has a good direction, great music, decent actors, and an interesting story. Edward does not have an emotional hold on me like he does other people. In fact, I find him very creepy, but I happen to like the movie for what it is. :-? If you don't like it, that's your business, and it has nothing to do with your gender.

I wanna be your Edwaaaarrrdddd

Nitro Vordex
Mar 30, 2009, 02:24 AM
"Edward in the sunlight
That's where one of many many times the book failed.

Does the whole book, like, ignore EVERYTHING about vampires and just turn into a softcore erotica/romance novel?

When you get told off by Stephen King, that's when you quit. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29001524)

He at least backs up his minirant though.

KodiaX987
Mar 30, 2009, 10:43 AM
But then again, who says one has to follow the vampire stereotype every time. ;) If the author doesn't want her vamp to get burnt to a crisp in the sun, she's in every right to do it.

CupOfCoffee
Mar 30, 2009, 10:46 AM
My mom and sister are way into Twilight. I went to the movie of it with them because free popcorn, and there were so many parts that completely cracked me up. It was seriously about one cheesy lighting effect away from being MST3K-able. I usually say, "Could've used a werewolf" when I think a movie was pretty bad, but since it actually had werewolves (lame ones), I'll go with, "Could've used a barbarian named Grignr" for Twilight. Two stars out of four. Would've been one without all the accidental humor.

CrimsomWolf
Mar 30, 2009, 01:25 PM
Haven't read the books, haven't saw the film. And after reading description of the series, it's going to stay that way (I hope), because it's like a supernatural soap opera gone really bad.

At least with Harry Potter, I was able to pull it to the half of second book (first one I didn't read).

Aisha379
Mar 30, 2009, 02:10 PM
But then again, who says one has to follow the vampire stereotype every time. ;) If the author doesn't want her vamp to get burnt to a crisp in the sun, she's in every right to do it.

I kinda agree with this. Theres lots of good fiction that kinda messes around with stereotypes, Tsukihime is a good example of specifically Vampires. That didn't follow the stereotypes AT ALL, but it was still great.

Still, I think you're really over stepping a line of logic when the vampires freaking SPARKLE.

Outrider
Mar 30, 2009, 02:28 PM
I have no problem with her changing around the vampire myth as much as she wants. As an author, that's her choice.

It's such a shame that they're unanimously terrible choices.

(And what's with the Harry Potter hate? They're good books. There are ups and downs and you have to remember that not everybody wants to read pointlessly dark books like most of you are into, but they're generally well-written and entertaining. Well, the later books are pointlessly dark and angsty, but the first ones are almost entirely great!)

Nitro Vordex
Apr 4, 2009, 07:04 PM
I liked the Harry Potter books, where did all this hate come from? D;

Kent
Apr 4, 2009, 07:33 PM
I liked the Harry Potter books, where did all this hate come from? D;
Popularity.

You know, that place from which most media hatred stems.

Weeaboolits
Apr 6, 2009, 03:52 AM
That's where one of many many times the book failed.

Does the whole book, like, ignore EVERYTHING about vampires and just turn into a softcore erotica/romance novel?

When you get told off by Stephen King, that's when you quit. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29001524)

He at least backs up his minirant though.You do realize Dracula was out and about in sunlight plenty, it wasn't until Nosferatu that the whole vampires can't be out in the sun thing rolled about.