PDA

View Full Version : psz amazing graphics?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Mar 30, 2009, 02:03 PM
Has anyone seen the graphics on Psz there amazing. The game's for the ds and the graphics aren't even pixelated.:-o

Akaimizu
Mar 30, 2009, 03:30 PM
If you're talking about this game. Then I'm not sure. The graphics are definitely pixellated as is with nearly all 3D games on the DS. However, for a DS game, they do a pretty nice job. A very nice job, in fact. It's definitely Phantasy Star (or at least the Action-Dungeon Hacker kind we've seen since PSO), and it stuffs a lot in the cart.

Some of the artwork displayed in the later levels is quite nice, as well. However, I think the most impressive part, is having a fully-online-playable (over Wi-Fi internet) Phantasy Star game on a portable. Rare enemies, and even rare zones are present in the game. It easily takes a very high position (if not the top) for Dungeon Hackers on the DS handheld.

Caydence
Mar 30, 2009, 05:58 PM
This looks great.

jmanx
Mar 30, 2009, 10:11 PM
Best one IMO FFCC lags to much online and have a bad keyboard

R3volver
Mar 31, 2009, 04:43 AM
10 years ago they made this game called phantasy star online. im not bsing you. I swear to god it had better graphics than phantasy star zero as well as way more content. shut up im dead serious.

Akaimizu
Mar 31, 2009, 11:53 AM
Actually, the content wasn't quite at that point, at the beginning. A lot of content was added to Phantasy Star Online with various releases and revisions of the game. There was also a major overhaul of balance changes between version 1 and version 2. Then the versions of Episode 1 and 2 came along, and they had a good amount of extra content to go with a new class or two.

Since this is the first start on a DS, it'll probably be more fair as to how it compares to PSO v1. Even though we're talking around a 1 megabit--- correction 1 gigabit limit on the game cart. Hardly what one would compare to the many megabytes used for PSO.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Mar 31, 2009, 12:49 PM
DS cards can be 16MB I belive. For Pso, It's over 1GB.

cApNhOwDy
Mar 31, 2009, 06:20 PM
Portable. Goes online. 16mb carts. 64-bit graphics. Given what they had to work with, I'd say they did a DAMN good job.

R3volver
Mar 31, 2009, 10:38 PM
the carts hold more than 16 mbs. ps0 is several 100 mbs

Redden
Apr 1, 2009, 08:33 AM
The ds cart holds up to 2gigs.

R3volver
Apr 1, 2009, 11:35 AM
And let us remember that these are some of the worst times in phantasy star history. These games are a joke compared to what we already had. you can giggle about using photon arts and dodging all you want. everything else horrifically lacking.

Akaimizu
Apr 1, 2009, 12:18 PM
Sorry about that. Yes. It's 1 Gigabit in size. In Bytes, you want to divide that by about 8.

It's still a lot smaller amount of space of what's used for something like PSO.

R3volver
Apr 1, 2009, 05:10 PM
Sorry about that. Yes. It's 1 Gigabit in size. In Bytes, you want to divide that by about 8.

It's still a lot smaller amount of space of what's used for something like PSO.

Excuse me sir but you have no idea WTF you're talking about, lol. The Dreamcast GDs hold 1.2 gigabytes. The carts on the DS can hold more than that not to mention much more content because the graphics have to be downgraded so harshly to run on the Nintendo DS. Flash memory has surpassed CDs/GDs a long time ago.

Quite frankly you guys are starting to scare me. But then again these are Nintendo DS owners...

For example heres a 2gb micro sd card which is like the size of your finger nail for 2 dollars LOL:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-microSD-Memory-SDC-2GB/dp/B0015R2NUW/ref=pd_bbs_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238623661&sr=8-9

How does it feel to know that a micro sd card much smaller than your cart that you paid around 50 bucks for could hold Phantasy Star Zero like idk over 10 times. moooooo

And most of the ds games are like worth 4 dollars like old mortal kombat is selling for 4 dollars on my PS3 as downloadable content. They want like 30 bucks for it on the DS. That piece of crap system is a scam. they want you to spend big bucks for tetris on that silly thing.

Randomness
Apr 1, 2009, 07:21 PM
Excuse me sir but you have no idea WTF you're talking about, lol. The Dreamcast GDs hold 1.2 gigabytes. The carts on the DS can hold more than that not to mention much more content because the graphics have to be downgraded so harshly to run on the Nintendo DS. Flash memory has surpassed CDs/GDs a long time ago.

Quite frankly you guys are starting to scare me. But then again these are Nintendo DS owners...

For example heres a 2gb micro sd card which is like the size of your finger nail for 2 dollars LOL:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-microSD-Memory-SDC-2GB/dp/B0015R2NUW/ref=pd_bbs_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238623661&sr=8-9

How does it feel to know that a micro sd card much smaller than your cart that you paid around 50 bucks for could hold Phantasy Star Zero like idk over 10 times. moooooo

And most of the ds games are like worth 4 dollars like old mortal kombat is selling for 4 dollars on my PS3 as downloadable content. They want like 30 bucks for it on the DS. That piece of crap system is a scam. they want you to spend big bucks for tetris on that silly thing.

You need to brush up on your units of measurement, for starters.

Secondly, flash memory is not strictly superior to disc media, especially given that it has a finite lifespan (albeit a very large one). Furthermore, a DVD is much cheaper to produce, and holds easily the amount of a good flash drive.

Third, PSOBB takes up 1.22 GB on my hard drive. It should be noted that this is Ep. I, II, and IV here, which is a significantly larger amount of data than just Ep I in the first version.

Getting back to the first point, a gigabit (Gb) is 1/8 the size of a gigabyte (GB). The maximum size of a DS card, 2 Gb, is equal to 256 MB. This is significantly less than the amount available on disc media.

You also seem to have misconceptions of the nature of 3D graphics. Smaller screen=less pixels=textures don't need to be as large/detailed (As it would just be interpolated down anyways)

R3volver
Apr 1, 2009, 07:56 PM
Getting back to the first point, a gigabit (Gb) is 1/8 the size of a gigabyte (GB). The maximum size of a DS card, 2 Gb, is equal to 256 MB. This is significantly less than the amount available on disc media.

You also seem to have misconceptions of the nature of 3D graphics. Smaller screen=less pixels=textures don't need to be as large/detailed (As it would just be interpolated down anyways)

WTF makes you think I didn't know they use lower resolution textures? I used to mod 3D games. Do you not comprehend what "downgraded graphics" means? Means less polys. lower resolution textures. lower bitrate audio so it runs on the underpowered system which also tremendously frees up space.

You got me on the Gb thing. I used a 2 GB micro sd card with a acekard on DS so it's more than possible to make games 2GB+ on the system because it can read a 2GB acekard. What a crappy system. That must be some kind of artificial rule. A complete joke.

I guarantee you those game cards for DS dont cost over 50 cents to make. It's just to make it difficult to pirate games by not using an SD card like the DSi will offer for multimedia purposes to try and copy the PSP.

ANDDDDDD I didn't say anything about flash memory "surpassing" CD/GDs in anything other than capacity. You know what? You piss me off.

AND HERE's THE BIG HITTER. Phantasy Star Zero Is only 100 MBs. There isn't more content because Sega made a cheap DS game rather than a full fledged game for the kiddies. Cheap PSO knockoff that could have easily had double the content. Fact.

Akaimizu
Apr 2, 2009, 01:18 PM
Well, that's your issue with the game. Still, Nintendo made the DS years ago. The original one. And our updates to our standard sizes of SD cards have increased in a whole lot of steps since then.

The biggest issue with it is that the Nintendo DS games need to be compatible with the original Nintendo DS game systems as well. Nintendo wouldn't increase the single game memory address space with a new DS system and tell programmers that it's ok to ditch compatibility with the old fat DS system.

While a 3rd party might make a program to be able to read anything from a big SD Card with which to grab said code and place it into addressable space for the DS to play a game from, it still doesn't stop the addressable limits imposed by the DS as to the size of memory address it can read for a single game.

It's a portable Phantasy Star Multiplayer/Single Player action rpg dungeon hacker. It may not be what you're personally looking for...but others will like it for what it is. The size it is on was, yes, SEGA's choice. And perhaps they could've upped it to twice the size. Then again, quite a few people are happy with the content it has and could look forward to a follow-up that may need the larger capacity cart.

They chose not to use up all the available space on a GD rom when they made Phantasy Star Online v1. So they increased the content for PSO v2.

Niered
Apr 2, 2009, 07:07 PM
WTF makes you think I didn't know they use lower resolution textures? I used to mod 3D games.

ITT IM AN EXPERT CUZ I MADE MODS.

Yes, you and everyones half retarded pet dog. Not a valid claim to fame.

Second, your issue with the DS being a shitty system? If their is anything that this media should have taught all of us is that hardware does not equal quality software. Currently, their are 141 games on Metacritic for DS that are considered to have "Generally favorable reviews", meaning these games have scores from 75-100. You coming in here being a troll just shows me youve got nothing better to do than harp on a game that didnt quite meet you your overly pretentious standards.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 2, 2009, 07:46 PM
people calm down we're aloud to have our own opinions (Mine being that this could perhaps be almost as good as pso 1 and 2+) don't get mad at me for that.

Gryzz
Apr 2, 2009, 10:52 PM
no way. ds 3d capabilities are like a slightly more limited polygon wise playstation with alot of 2d beef like the saturn. Its basically a fifth generation console game.

PaladinRPG
Apr 18, 2009, 02:14 AM
no way. ds 3d capabilities are like a slightly more limited polygon wise playstation with alot of 2d beef like the saturn. Its basically a fifth generation console game.
Agreed -- perfect summation, really.

Night SSc7
Apr 18, 2009, 03:12 AM
I read this whole topic... and I have no idea what you guys are fighting about...
and the file size for PS:0 is 128mb, I have no idea what that means here, but that's it...
Expect a v2 just like the O.G. pso.
Graphically it could be better.

Zanesfield
Apr 18, 2009, 09:14 PM
i think that the grapics are preet good but not perfect and you have to rember how much they put in that game the fields the ithems and the monsters

Crap you guys are talking about the grapics all the way down to bytes now my head hurts thanks

Afterburn
Apr 27, 2009, 03:59 PM
Haha this thread is funny. I really don't like this game for the graphics but in turn the added features, considering I hated PSU.

Weeaboolits
Apr 27, 2009, 06:33 PM
IT doesn't look amazing, but it certainly doesn't look bad, I can't say I expect much better from a DS game, but it plays well and the weapon design is pretty nice, although some of the mechanical design is a more than a little derived.

GUN
May 8, 2009, 07:33 AM
Been playing the import version for a while now and am still enjoying it. The graphics are very good for the DS and character size is good as well (not tiny like in PS Portable). The lack of customization of your character hurts a bit but overall this is a great addition (IMO) to the series.

Roll on the EU/US release SEGA!!

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 22, 2009, 07:55 AM
How much cahr customization is there is it just the costume or more.

furrypaws
May 23, 2009, 12:18 PM
Here's a translated version of the Cast menu. I think Fleshie is roughly similar, except with skin color in one of the places of the body colors.

http://www.blogcdn.com/nintendo.joystiq.com/media/2008/11/pszchar1105.jpg

Maelstrom 180
May 23, 2009, 05:51 PM
I find the game has decent overall graphics but the lack of fingers can be ofsetteling...if you care about having a blinking contest with your character's hands....the only thing im unhappy about is limited number of players, ive only managed to find one player so far, granted im not a high level but i assumed someone would have a low level or show some interest in playing, ive seen little for active boards or games, it feels like i was late to the party and everyone has already stuffed the game in a desk drawer or stopped playing online... Anyway back to what i was saying, decent graphics, no spriting by any means, and it runs smooth even online.

Gemel
May 23, 2009, 06:03 PM
Just wait till the English release, I'm sure we'll be pretty active by then.

If you want we can exchange friend codes.

Maelstrom 180
May 23, 2009, 06:09 PM
would be cool, i just hit lv 19 like 4 seconds ago, send message to me in my profile and ill respond with code

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 23, 2009, 08:20 PM
Here's a translated version of the Cast menu. I think Fleshie is roughly similar, except with skin color in one of the places of the body colors.

http://www.blogcdn.com/nintendo.joystiq.com/media/2008/11/pszchar1105.jpg

Woah i just thought you chose costume color and that was it this game is gonna be great PS0MAZING

XX F3AR13SS XX
Jun 10, 2009, 07:12 PM
... wow..... what... the.... hell... im sorry but the DS is the worst system ever [exept the will the wii is worse]. this game isnt going to be that good im not basing it on the graphics im basing it on this is 1 of the worst systems ever and why did sega or whoever made the phantasy star games even bother to make a game on a nintendo system [i played pso on a pc] i mean really the only people that are going to be playing this are 5 year old kids that like pokemon :P... ok? it might be a good game better then pso? no! better then ps portable? no! better then PSU? HELL NO!... but hey thats what u get if u hav a nintendo system...

XX F3AR13SS XX
Jun 10, 2009, 07:20 PM
ok... i just saw some trailers and game play videos yea the graphics are ok but its nothing like any other Phantasy star game... they destroyed it... *sigh* just waiting for the next xbox game :\... anyways have fun wasting your money :D PS: nintendo sucks the only good games they have is the Zelda series :O

Nitro Vordex
Jun 10, 2009, 07:25 PM
... wow..... what... the.... hell... im sorry but the DS is the worst system ever [exept the will the wii is worse]. this game isnt going to be that good im not basing it on the graphics im basing it on this is 1 of the worst systems ever and why did sega or whoever made the phantasy star games even bother to make a game on a nintendo system [i played pso on a pc] i mean really the only people that are going to be playing this are 5 year old kids that like pokemon :P... ok? it might be a good game better then pso? no! better then ps portable? no! better then PSU? HELL NO!... but hey thats what u get if u hav a nintendo system...
Yeah, you're obviously basing it on graphics. It's really obvious.

You probably haven't even played the game before, I bet. Saying that the DS system is the worst is really kind of dumb, since half of, if not more of the forum owns one. And if you REALLY DON'T KNOW WHO MADE THE GAMES, you really don't have any say in the matter.

On the Pokemon comment, it's actually a lot deeper than you think. As for PSZ, it's probably gonna have stat maxing guides and tips and tricks, once it comes out for the US.

I'd say that the game is gonna be better than PSU, dunno about PSPortable, didn't play that one. Better than PSO? Probably not. But you should tone it down with the slander and try to put some facts into your post.

XX F3AR13SS XX
Jun 10, 2009, 07:29 PM
... k cool good for u

XX F3AR13SS XX
Jun 10, 2009, 07:33 PM
its not going to be better then PSU anything thats nintendo is never going to be better :P

Nitro Vordex
Jun 11, 2009, 01:00 AM
Anything that isn't PSU is better than PSU.

Except Runescape and Nartuto.

ChaosAngelic
Jun 11, 2009, 05:30 AM
Wow, what's with the Nintendo bashing? Seriously, fanboys annoy me. I own all three current-gen consoles and all three last-gen consoles. (Obviously talking about the major ones here.) I prefer my Xbox, but seriously? There are plenty of good games on the Wii and DS. The PS3 and PSP have a few good ones too.

As for your comment on Pokemon... as Nitro said, it's a lot deeper than you think. EV/IV values, stuff like that.

And sure, it's not better than PSO. It doesn't have to be; this is a DS game, not a console or PC game. Would I play it instead of PSO? No. Would I play it instead of PSP? Yep. Especially because it's online.

Skyly HUmar
Jun 11, 2009, 09:03 AM
its not going to be better then PSU anything thats nintendo is never going to be better :P

I don't really like to argue about this kinda stuff, but if you are correct, how come Wii has sold 2x the ammount that the 360 has despite the fact that it is more expensive? And how come the DS (Untill recent days) is the most sold system in the world? And if PSU is so mutch better than PSO, why do people constantly ask for PSO instead of more PSU?

Just using common sense here. And in my oppinion PSU sucked, I enjoyed it on PSP but as a console game it sux (Once again, my oppinion, hands off mah bread :P).

Zanesfield
Jun 11, 2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah Psu was only good for the story and the online play the free mode was a complete and total waste of time

darkante
Jun 11, 2009, 11:21 PM
Donīt really know what the huge Nintendo hate is all about.
Should the format really decide how good this game works?

If anyone ever tried this game, they know it works very well with the DS.
Plays a bit like PSO, not as epic obviously, but itīs handheld so itīs still good.

Quality lack should be blamed on ST and not Nintendo.

cApNhOwDy
Jun 12, 2009, 02:15 AM
Anything that isn't PSU is better than PSU.

Except Runescape and Nartuto.

This statement is so true that it should be documented and archived in history books.

furrypaws
Jun 12, 2009, 03:42 PM
As for PSZ, it's probably gonna have stat maxing guides and tips and tricks, once it comes out for the US.

That's not going to be necessary. From what I understand, Sega made it so that there were no "max" stats. You just have 80/100 materials to spend whichever way you want them, with no obsessive "I NEED ALL GOLD STATS!", which I personally think was pretty smart of them.

There are also reset materials, which completely remove all materials used on your characters. So yeah, the material system is a lot less high maintenance this time around. I mean, I guess someone could say x material works for y class, but that's (if they balance the classes and stats right this time around) a personal decision more than anything.

Enough PSU bashing already. It's pretty offtopic. =/

Nitro Vordex
Jun 12, 2009, 04:01 PM
That's not going to be necessary. From what I understand, Sega made it so that there were no "max" stats. You just have 80/100 materials to spend whichever way you want them, with no obsessive "I NEED ALL GOLD STATS!", which I personally think was pretty smart of them.

There are also reset materials, which completely remove all materials used on your characters. So yeah, the material system is a lot less high maintenance this time around. I mean, I guess someone could say x material works for y class, but that's (if they balance the classes and stats right this time around) a personal decision more than anything.

Wow. That's awfully casual of ST. Thanks Nintendo. >:U

furrypaws
Jun 12, 2009, 06:33 PM
I dunno, I like it better this way. If you think about it, there's more customization here. A maxed HUmar was the same as any other maxed HUmar. The only difference was in what cure slots/resist slots he had. Now, each character has the possibility to be limitlessly different instead of the regular HUnewearl/FOnewearl that were just about unmaxable until BB.

Plus, the reset materials aren't so bad (in my opinion) either. A lot of people on PSO fell into the "pick up material" trap, where they'd pick up and use every material on sight, not realizing there was a limit. When they did realize there was a limit, they often wished they hadn't done that, and either have to remake their character or deal with the fact that they just used 50 DEF materials on their character.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 12, 2009, 07:13 PM
Well, maybe people liked being a maxed HUmar. :/

xT3rroR3LiT3x
Jun 16, 2009, 11:40 AM
oh and yes that PSZ seems like a very nice game for the DS i'll get it very soon because of it lol the grafics and just the way the game is makes it a good game :} it sucks that not many ppl play it though :{ i'll do my part and tell friends about it ok ? *smiles* have fun ppl and enjoy gaming together ^^"

furrypaws
Jun 23, 2009, 07:32 PM
Well, I picked up a copy. And I must say, the graphics are absolutely gorgeous for a DS game. The animations are fluid, the models are pleasing to the eye, it runs smoothly aside from a barely noticeable lag sometimes when the monsters spawn. Even having two other NPCs doesn't negatively affect it, but I can't say much beyond that, as I haven't had a whole lot of time to see everything.

But, while it's certainly no PSO (and I wasn't expecting that of it in the first place), it is definitely worth picking up if you're interested in the Phantasy Star hack n' slash series. It's fun in it's own brand...or perhaps saber, bwaha.