PDA

View Full Version : HEY, MOVIE DIRECTOR WHO COMMITED THE TRAVESTY!!!

raikomaru40
Apr 2, 2009, 01:43 PM
I know it's a bit late, but.....

http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/user/1/10812-67082-Goomba3djpg-550x.jpg

Outrider
Apr 2, 2009, 01:54 PM
I remember seeing this movie as a kid. It was a special treat - my brothers and I had some friends staying over, and my dad told us we could even get a pay-per-view movie (something we never did.) So of course, we chose Super Mario Bros.

Yeah.

My therapist says I'll get over it soon. Let's hope so!

Blitzkommando
Apr 2, 2009, 02:59 PM
That movie was so horrible that I loved it.

Aisha379
Apr 2, 2009, 03:33 PM
I saw that when I was little too. One of the most depressing parts of my childhood, no doubt.

I mean you kinda expect stuff like this to suck when you get older, but when you're young and innocent you think "Oh wow! A movie based on MARIO! This is going to be the best thing ever!"

Its been awhile since I've seen it (never again) though, but isn't that supposed to be a koopa, not a goomba?...

Outrider
Apr 2, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a goomba.

The thing that made it even worse is that the commercials for it actually cut back and forth between Super Mario World sprites and clips of the movie itself.

Leviathan
Apr 2, 2009, 04:00 PM
It could be worse.

Lance813
Apr 2, 2009, 05:05 PM
I liked how the Bomb-oms worked.

Kent
Apr 2, 2009, 05:27 PM
It could be worse.
Yeah - it could've been Equilibrium, Fight Club, or Pulp Fiction. :/

AlexCraig
Apr 2, 2009, 05:51 PM
I have that movie. Haven't seen it for a while. Starting to want to again.

Vanzazikon
Apr 2, 2009, 05:55 PM
This brings back memories. @_@

Randomness
Apr 2, 2009, 06:05 PM
Never seen it. Seeing that, don't ever want to.

Vanzazikon
Apr 2, 2009, 06:07 PM
Praise the Lord! Randomness eyes are still a Mario Movie virgin. It's best kept that way.

Retehi
Apr 2, 2009, 06:40 PM
Nerd rage.

Tessu
Apr 2, 2009, 07:50 PM
Is this the one with Ron Jeremy?

Solstis
Apr 2, 2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah - it could've been Equilibrium, Fight Club, or Pulp Fiction. :/

Aside from Equilibrium, those are incredibly well directed films (as in, the amount of attention paid to each scene). I wrote a report in film class on Fight Club, and though I can just barely tolerate it now, I appreciate the amount of work done (and omg, that coffee cup/trash-can shot was *AMAZING* for its time).

Pacing was *way* off, however.

Kent
Apr 3, 2009, 06:46 AM
Aside from Equilibrium, those are incredibly well directed films (as in, the amount of attention paid to each scene).
I gotta admit. I lol'd.

But, you know what? Goombas, even in the movie form, would have probably made all of those movies substantially less horrible, possibly to the point of starting a paradigm shift toward "awesomely bad."

Solstis
Apr 3, 2009, 08:50 AM
I'm glad that you countered what I said with something other than "they're horrible", makes for great conversation.

I mean, really? The "subliminal Tyler" from Fight Club was actually pretty interesting, and the movie did have good parts (aside from the ending, and the fight clubby bits).

Pulp Fiction, well, was entertaining, though it did suffer from the SNL-skit, "why hasn't this ended yet" phenomenon. That and it beat one of my favorite films at Cannes, Three Colours: Red, so, I can never forgive it.

BlaizeYES
Apr 3, 2009, 09:50 AM
but that mario brothers movie also had dennis hopper, and i like dennis hopper... the guy is insane.

when filming "easy rider"(one of my favorite movies) back in 68, dennis hopper said rip torn was supposed to play jack nicholson's part... but hopper said on a talkshow that rip torn and him got into an argument, and said that rip pulled a knife on him. so rip torn sued him, and it was actually dennis hopper that pulled a knife on rip torn lol when dennis hopper was the one who instigated the fight in the first place. knowing hopper, it probably happened alot differently in his head. thats the sort of villain you need in your movies

Kent
Apr 3, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'm glad that you countered what I said with something other than "they're horrible", makes for great conversation.

I mean, really? The "subliminal Tyler" from Fight Club was actually pretty interesting, and the movie did have good parts (aside from the ending, and the fight clubby bits).

Pulp Fiction, well, was entertaining, though it did suffer from the SNL-skit, "why hasn't this ended yet" phenomenon. That and it beat one of my favorite films at Cannes, Three Colours: Red, so, I can never forgive it.
I can't honestly say I can agree with Fight Club having good bits. It is, to date, the only movie that has put me to sleep from sheer boredom.

That is, of course, because I saw it before I saw Pulp Fiction (I learned my lesson about tolerating boredom, you see), which supposedly had some clever dialogue... But a while into it, I realized that it's never going to top the Bruce Willis + Katana part that was all too short, and stopped watching.

Now, if the movie had been all about Bruce Willis killing Goombas with a katana... That'd be pretty sweet.

Solstis
Apr 3, 2009, 12:13 PM
I can't honestly say I can agree with Fight Club having good bits. It is, to date, the only movie that has put me to sleep from sheer boredom.

That is, of course, because I saw it before I saw Pulp Fiction (I learned my lesson about tolerating boredom, you see), which supposedly had some clever dialogue... But a while into it, I realized that it's never going to top the Bruce Willis + Katana part that was all too short, and stopped watching.

Now, if the movie had been all about Bruce Willis killing Goombas with a katana... That'd be pretty sweet.

I can definitely follow that sentiment (and, okay, Fight Club was about 90% boredom. I give in!). For me, the Goombas were the most interesting part of the Mario Bros. movie, in a childhood-trauma sort of way.

Kylie
Apr 3, 2009, 12:19 PM
I saw it a long time ago, but I don't remember it being bad. I must have thought it was decent.

I don't remember those were supposed to be Goombas either though. >_>

Kent
Apr 3, 2009, 12:21 PM
At least Yoshi didn't have such an ill-conceived and outlandish representation.

Just less stretchytongue and whapping him on the back of the head to lick things... And betrayal.

Aeris
Apr 8, 2009, 11:30 PM
Haha, i had this movie on VHS one time but i lost or misplaced it, but i have it on a DVD or CD now.

NPCMook
Apr 9, 2009, 12:05 AM
I don't know what the fuck you people are talking about, when I saw that movie as a kid, it was the most awesome movie I had ever seen, and I still enjoy it to this day... No, I'm not denying that its bad, it was just so bad that I actually enjoyed it... You want bad go watch Batman and Robin, then we'll talk :D

DreXxiN
Apr 9, 2009, 02:58 AM
Am I the only one here who abso-fucking-lutely LOVED Fight Club? Maybe it was the friends I was with at the time...

Outrider
Apr 9, 2009, 09:13 AM
Nah, Fight Club is a decent movie.

It's not nearly as good as a lot of people have made it out to be (don't you DARE say that Fight Club changed your life), but it's also not nearly as bad as some of the people in this thread are making it out to be.

Then again, I don't think I've ever had the urge to watch it again after the first time, so maybe you should take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Sayara
Apr 9, 2009, 09:56 AM
Nah Tess, Mario was Bob Hoskins. (ala Who Framed Roger Rabbit).

Also this movie was legandary bad. Like the street fighter movie bad.

Weeaboolits
Apr 9, 2009, 10:12 AM
I remember seeing that movie in the theater.

Scrub
Apr 10, 2009, 04:35 AM
The movie was fucking funny and shows the good side of what can happen when a license is abused horribly. Maybe you should get a sense of humor.

I mean come on the Joker looked like the biggest fucking peice of shit I've ever seen in that new Batman movie, and looked absolutely 100% nothing like the fucking Joker but that didnt exactly stop every faggot who barely knows who Batman is from beating off all over Heath Ledger and his bullshit. YEAH I GOT A GRUDGE AGAINST THAT HORRIBLE MOVIE SO WHAT IM USING IT TO PROVE A POINT

Aisha379
Apr 10, 2009, 10:02 AM
I mean come on the Joker looked like the biggest fucking peice of shit I've ever seen in that new Batman movie, and looked absolutely 100% nothing like the fucking Joker but that didnt exactly stop every faggot who barely knows who Batman is from beating off all over Heath Ledger and his bullshit.

The movie was fucking funny and shows the good side of what can happen when a license is abused horribly. Maybe you should get a sense of humor.

Hmm >_>

Volcompat321
Apr 10, 2009, 10:29 AM
Am I the only one here who abso-fucking-lutely LOVED Fight Club? Maybe it was the friends I was with at the time...

i will also say i "abso-fucking-lutely" LOVED Fight Club. it was an intense movie. not to mention i love every movie Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are in.

and how can you not love a movie where John Leguizamo is Luigi?!

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/Compton_James1/SuperMario.jpg

Solstis
Apr 10, 2009, 10:34 AM
i will also say i "abso-fucking-lutely" LOVED Fight Club. it was an intense movie. not to mention i love every movie Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are in.

The book was better.

(Yes, it was a short story first, then a novel)

The Fight Club film was alright for an adaptation, but way to totally screw up the ending.