View Full Version : Do you know any of these?

TrueChaos
Apr 13, 2009, 07:06 AM
hello all. for one of my assignments i have to find out why Waldorf Steiner Education has become more popular than any other form of alternative education. but, i am going down the route that that is a biased statement by my lecturer who really likes Steiner Education. so, all i'd like you to do is copy the list of alternative form of education below and say if you know of them. you don't need to know anything about the, just that they exist and where you live (just the town/city/state and country as i need to know if it's more well known in some places than others). if you were educated in any of them then can you out that, too. the alternative educations are:
Waldorf Steiner
Montassori
Reggio Emilia
Home schooling
Religious schools (not Church of England schools) like the Emmanuel School in Exeter, UK
Sands school
Summerhill School

if there are others you can think of then please add them.

many thanks for the help.

Sinue_v2
Apr 13, 2009, 09:49 AM
I finished my primary education at an alternative school called AIMS. I can't really say much for the actual level of educational equivalence it provided, but the entirety of the school only had about 70 students split between two three-hour school days. I took both morning and evening courses to finish up my credits and get my diploma rather than just go for a GED like many of my classmates did going just three hours a day.

Students were broken up between four teachers, though they often helped out anyone who needed it - as some teachers were better at certain subjects than others.

We were also required to hold at least part-time jobs.

Myself, it wasn't so much that my grades were low - but I wasn't able to conform very well to school policies and rules. Alternative school allowed me to move at my own pace (which was generally a bit faster than typical, meaning I had a lot of "nap times" at the end of my courses while trying to fill my alloted credit times) and I could take as many cigarette breaks as I needed.

Though I assume that this sort of alternative school is not what you had in mind, nor do I suspect they offer a similar course in the UK.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend it. However, some of the alternative schools you list may have been designed to hold to a higher academic standard than AIMS. AIMS was generally meant for dropouts, pregnant teens, druggies, and such... so the bar of academic excellence was set fairly low. While I excelled at my studies and flew through the course materials, I don't feel as though I was pushed as hard as I should have been. I only wish that regular high school had tried to push me more academically, rather than behaviorally, and perhaps I wouldn't have needed to seek out alternative schools.