PDA

View Full Version : SERVERS GOING DOWN TILL....? EVERYONE READ!!!

Tenshi-Chan
Mar 2, 2001, 10:55 PM
I just read this over on Daily Radar. WTF!?!

"Phantasy Star Online cheaters will essentially ruin the game for everyone worldwide if they don't mend their evil ways. Sega Sonic Team announced that they will shut down the Phantasy Star Online server as soon as they discover players who are cheating the game by changing the character data with "Game Enhancers." The service will resume as soon as the problem is resolved."

Sylvette
Mar 2, 2001, 10:58 PM
This sounds bogus to me (especially since it's Daily Radar... known for their incredible B.S.) but if it was true, Sega would take all the hostility that's now directed at cheaters, I imagine. Would you rather play the way things are now, or not play at all?

Manifest
Mar 2, 2001, 10:59 PM
idle threat. no way they can prove it. let alone the revenue lost from people who wont buy it because they cant play online.

Tenshi-Chan
Mar 2, 2001, 11:02 PM
Sylvette, what do you mean by Daily Radar being known for their BS? Do they do this a lot? I HOPE this is bogus!

Tenshi-Chan
Mar 2, 2001, 11:24 PM
By the way, they're already doing it on the Japanese servers.

From IGN.com-

"According to Sega of Japan, Phantasy Star Online has had a few issues with cheating recently. As a result, they have released an official statement to explain the situation. Apparently, some Japanese gamers have found a way to hack the character VMU files, and basically max their characters, items, weapons, etc. The Japanese servers have been shut down several times (which would explain why Japanese players are flooding certain US servers), in order to find a way to combat the hacks. Sega does not want these hackers ruining the game for the rest of the PSO players, by "illegally changing character data".
This problem goes way beyond the usage of simple cheat devices, and Sega is busy tracking (and eliminating) the cheaters. We will keep you up to date. "

Naer
Mar 2, 2001, 11:28 PM
um, the japanese players have to pay for it and they are bound to a terms of service most likely. Are the american players bound to this? no. Therefore nobody will be shutting down the US servers because of cheaters.

Sylvette
Mar 2, 2001, 11:35 PM
Daily Radar does not check on their facts and has posted false information many times. They've almost become the equivalent of a tabloid newspaper with their info... if a rumor is circulating, it's posted as fact there. They never know what they're talking about, though they are sometimes right by chance. Nobody can honestly say anything different.

IGN has done the same sometimes, but I believe they are closer to the truth. Sega may take a server offline for maintenance briefly, as scheduled, and while doing so they may search for a way to deal with any form of cheating which disrupts the server and causes bugs or crashes. Don't believe anyone who says Sega is going to stop offering online play because people are cheating.

Ambrai
Mar 2, 2001, 11:42 PM
Mod: Moved to cheaters.

Arcadean
Mar 3, 2001, 02:52 AM
why was this moved to cheaters???

Omege12
Mar 3, 2001, 02:53 AM
Guys you must understand something. Cheaters will always be around, if you put up a wall to stop them, they will find a way around. No matter what you do, cheaters will, as they are known for, "cheat" thier way out of it. I would be very disapointed of SEGA decides to do this. The game is hurt by cheaters, but only a little. I usually play with people I have known for a while, so there aren't any cheaters, that I know of, playing in games with me, so I am not effected by cheaters. Even if some people I know cheated, it would not matter. I wouldn't know. And I honestly don't care. Mabey that is how some of you should look at it now. Just turn the other cheek and walk away. Anyways, In my opinion, SEGA should not cut off our playing privelages because they found a person cheating. Developers knew there would be cheaters, and thier always will be. So, my advice is to just ignore it. What you don't know, can't hurt you. Well bye for now, I hope this helps...

PePiTo
Mar 3, 2001, 03:26 AM
The crackdown will not affect people using Gamesharks-
The japanese were using other methods to hack their VMUsso it doesnt really apply to us US players because everyone here uses a Gameshark or Code Xploder to hack their games.

segagameplay
Mar 3, 2001, 04:16 AM
Hate to say it but personaly this sounds like bs too me!

Roaddogglosthispassword
Mar 3, 2001, 04:35 AM
yeah then sega would find tons of lawsuits
think about it people
there is no warning about using game enhancers at all when you play pso....so what do they have to back them selves on

BillsWolf
Mar 3, 2001, 05:40 AM
basically the fact that MANY people DESPISE cheating, dupping, theivery, and what not. what happens if people lose intrest because of cheaters? sega looses millions or even billions of dollars on thet lack of customer support. that should be enough ground for defense in court.

Roaddogglosthispassword
Mar 3, 2001, 12:01 PM
yeah but think about what customers have to say about the reliabilty of sega....they make a console every year then kill it