PDA

View Full Version : Gamerscore Boosters...

rayner
Apr 16, 2009, 08:04 AM
Why does everyone assume that if you have a decent Gamerscore that you are a booster? Don't go judging a book by it's cover... yeah I have 65K Gamerscore, but look at my dam games... it's sometimes annoying, especially if I'm TRYING to get multi-player Achievements in a game the REAL way.

For example, I'm loving PuzzleQuest: Galactrix... and there is an Achievement for win 50 Xbox Live games. So far I'm 27-2... I'm lv 50 and I have probably the best set-up in the game. People think the Doomsday Blaster is the best... but if you don't get a turn to use it, what good is it? I played this guy this morning and beat him 3 times without him ever taking a turn... typlical, dump all points into Weaponry... so when I have high speed and shields, I'll take 9 - 11 turns before you even have a chance to go.

After the 3rd defeat I get a message from him... "Do you want to boost for the 50 Wins, it's faster that way" So I reply "what's faster than 3 first turn kills?" Then he responds "noob, boosting is always faster" Negative feedback comes my way... bringing me to 35% avoid now :-( Of course I return the gesture ;-) I look at his profile... dude has 100K+ Gamerscore... Avatar, King Kong... all the Gamerscore padding games.

This really irratates me... I look at the leaderboards... there are roughly 20 players with 50 wins / 50 loses, typical friend-boosting... most of them 100K+ Gamerscore. This is the only aspect of LIVE I can't stand... sore-losers and boosters.

KodiaX987
Apr 16, 2009, 10:24 AM
You embarked into an online gaming venture without knowing that one person's common sense is another person's insanity?

You are in for a rough, rough ride, my friend. ;)

Also welcome to the world of online gaming, where any and all leaderboard system will immediately and automatically attract stat padders who will stop at nothing to appear on the first page.

Inazuma
Apr 16, 2009, 01:08 PM
i blame the devs on this one. they should have made the achievement "defeat 50 different online opponents". if you are able to work w/ a buddy and quickly beat each other 50 times, then of course many people would do that. its actually smart of them to do so.

it reminds me of some retro game collections where in order to unlock new games, you are required to play a certain game 30 times. of course what ends up happening for most players is simply loading the game, returning back to the menu, loading the game again, etc. its stupid but thats what you do. its completely the devs' fault for making the game like that.

Rasputin
Apr 16, 2009, 01:13 PM
My gamerscore really matters. I look at other's gamerscores whenever they join something that I'm doing. If I find that their gamerscore is higher than mine, (which is impossible seeing as I'm GOD incarnate) I accuse them of boosting because it is too high. If their gamerscore is lower than mine, I accuse them of sucking because they are not as good as me. It's as simple as that. Gamerscore is THE GREATEST way to figure out where you place amongst your peers. Without it, the 360 could not live. It is the lifeforce of the gaming community.

Lance813
Apr 16, 2009, 01:15 PM
It is the lifeforce of the gaming community.

That is the most truth my eyes have ever seen.

KodiaX987
Apr 16, 2009, 01:23 PM
My gamerscore really matters. I look at other's gamerscores whenever they join something that I'm doing. If I find that their gamerscore is higher than mine, (which is impossible seeing as I'm GOD incarnate) I accuse them of boosting because it is too high. If their gamerscore is lower than mine, I accuse them of sucking because they are not as good as me. It's as simple as that. Gamerscore is THE GREATEST way to figure out where you place amongst your peers. Without it, the 360 could not live. It is the lifeforce of the gaming community.

10/10. Could've fooled me.

rayner
Apr 16, 2009, 01:36 PM

Is this sarcasm or something? Did you read my rant? I'd like to play ranked like it's supposed to be played... but typical heavy-end-weapon-dumping-read-an-FAQ-wannabe-player got his ass handed to him and then he sends me a message to "boost" because I look like a booster? I'm also talking about Puzzlequest: Galactrix... not something like Halo 3 or Call of Duty.

Also leaving Negative feedback about being "Unsporting" is just bull... not that it's used for anything though.

Kylie
Apr 16, 2009, 02:01 PM
Damn the gamerscore system to Hell, lol. I say that because it's totally serving its purpose with me. >_> I play a game, and I can't put it down for good until I have an acceptable score from it. I don't mean a good score from it; I mean that I'm very OCD about numbers... :lol: Some of them are fun to get anyway.

Gamerscore booster? What the hell? :-P I don't see how that would affect anyone in a negative way. "IT GETS ON MY NERVES THAT THEY HAVE A BIG SCORE!" Why? As long as they aren't bragging about it, it doesn't concern you.

rayner
Apr 16, 2009, 02:12 PM
Damn the gamerscore system to Hell, lol. I say that because it's totally serving its purpose with me. >_> I play a game, and I can't put it down for good until I have an acceptable score from it. I don't mean a good score from it; I mean that I'm very OCD about numbers... :lol: Some of them are fun to get anyway.

Gamerscore booster? What the hell? :-P I don't see how that would affect anyone in a negative way. "IT GETS ON MY NERVES THAT THEY HAVE A BIG SCORE!" Why? As long as they aren't bragging about it, it doesn't concern you.

O.k you're playing a game and you beat a player 3 times in a row... first you wonder why they keep joining your game ( I'm creating and they can leave at will and not challenge me ) then they suggest that I purposely lose to them even though I beat them 3 times in a row easily so they can get their ill-gotten Achievements... this is what bothes me.

Kylie
Apr 16, 2009, 02:22 PM
Well, that would be another case of it affecting you, and I know how it feels. I've had several people quit on me during an RE5 Versus match because they were losing. Sometimes during a team match, which ends the game for everyone if someone quits. :-x No one should be jumping on your gamerscore if you're not like that though.

rayner
Apr 16, 2009, 02:46 PM
Well, that would be another case of it affecting you, and I know how it feels. I've had several people quit on me during an RE5 Versus match because they were losing. Sometimes during a team match, which ends the game for everyone if someone quits. :-x No one should be jumping on your gamerscore if you're not like that though.

I can't even join a game of Resident Evil 5 Versus... I keep getting dropped by the Boosters, I'm going to wait for the popularity to die-down and then try again later... or I have to wait for some friends to DL the "expansion" and get those achievements then. If you are looking for some people that like getting Achievements... a group of friends and I help each other out, giving advice, tactics and such... it's a pretty good bunch of players focused on Completion % rather than gamerscore.

And if you ever want to check out your "adjusted gamerscore" let me know, it's based on your game difficulty extracted from mygamercard.net. I'll give an example... Resident Evil 5's average score per gamer is 408.14. You take that and divide by the total score... 408.14/1200 = 0.3401 then take 1/0.3401 = 2.94. I have 930pts * 2.94 = 2,734. I have a spreadsheet with a masterlist I update each week. It's pretty cool if you want to know your true score ;-)

P.S I love statistics...

Rasputin
Apr 16, 2009, 04:36 PM
Is this sarcasm or something? Did you read my rant? I'd like to play ranked like it's supposed to be played... but typical heavy-end-weapon-dumping-read-an-FAQ-wannabe-player got his ass handed to him and then he sends me a message to "boost" because I look like a booster? I'm also talking about Puzzlequest: Galactrix... not something like Halo 3 or Call of Duty.

Also leaving Negative feedback about being "Unsporting" is just bull... not that it's used for anything though.

No, I didn't read your rant. It was too long and uninteresting.

rayner
Apr 16, 2009, 05:20 PM
No, I didn't read your rant. It was too long and uninteresting.

How did you know it was uninteresting if you didn't read it? ;-)

Shinko
Apr 16, 2009, 05:36 PM
You know I just don't get it. What's the the point. You're not getting nothing out of it. And your working to get these points that mean nothing but bragging rights.

I don't know... maybe it's because I don't really put much effect into something unless it's really worth it. So I could be wrong about this. I mean what's the enjoyment of it. Isn't that the point in video games? Enjoying yourself not going around bragging about who better and what not. But hey i guess that's a matter of opinion.

Rasputin
Apr 16, 2009, 10:54 PM

Because I don't find this sort of talk entertaining. Pretty simple, really.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 17, 2009, 12:05 AM
Because you're the OP.

Ragrappy99
Apr 17, 2009, 04:02 PM
Wow, OP you have alot of games... Lol good luck getting all the achievements on Mega Man 9 (is that even possible?)

jShazBot
Apr 28, 2009, 09:10 PM
I fucking hate people who say that achievements shouldn't be in games, that they ruin them and all that shit.
Achievements don't even affect the game. If you hate them that much, ignore them.
And what the fuck is with people who say getting achievements is a waste of time?
I assume playing a game and NOT getting the achievements is productive?
Your wasting your life either way.

KodiaX987
Apr 28, 2009, 10:51 PM
Achievements don't even affect the game. If you hate them that much, ignore them.

Sit down and grab a beer. This is gonna take a while.

Any form of outwardly displayed award in any game is a possible prompt for a player to become selfish. In these situations, it's hard to ignore an achievement hunter when he is in your face and feeding his hunger at the expense of your own fun. The only thing a dev can do to fix this is to make the achievements in a manner that either promotes teamwork or is earned after a certain amount of normal play. Bad achievement management means that online players will perform reckless and dangerous maneuvers to get those achievements, without any consideration for others playing in the same game.

Excellent example: L4D campaign achievements. Shoot a smoker before he deals any damage. Make it through a campaign without startling the witch. Shove a hunter off a pinned teammate. All achievements that teach the player to cooperate and be credit to team. Not only is the teammate helping his buddies, he's even getting a reward for it. Double win!

Good example: Team Fortress 2. Be the first to switch to medic when a teammate calls for one. Finish a round in first place as a medic without killing anyone. Block the cart 50 times. More teamwork achievements. More hints at how the classes are best played. Some of them are situational, but the bases are pretty well covered. The best thing in this game is the progress system that informs you when you've done a good run, inciting you to do even better next time and try to beat your own record.

Bad example: Battlefield. A true achievement clusterfuck if there ever was one. In this game, achievements bring a massive bonus to your progress, making them abnormally sought after, to the point where most players will stad pad for the sake of getting these achievements. Among them: score 300 total pistol kills in career, then do 18 pistol kills in a single round. Score 150 knife kills in career, then do 15 knife kills in a single round. Destroy 3 enemy strategic buildings, then destroy their reactor core (mind the friendly fire!) The end result is 64 players all seeking achievements in a manner that breaks the intended playstyle of the game - as unless you're an infiltrator in the Columbian jungle, chances are you will not go for 15 kills with a combat knife - especially when the battlefield is full of tanks, APCs, gunship and other more effective tools to get the job done. Those players do not care for their team at all - a thing they only realize after they've gotten said achievements and now find themselves with nothing to do but - God forbid - teamwork.

Add a leaderboard to this and you've just destroyed the community of pretty much any game in a massive explosion, as it's the surefire way to turn the whole gang into participants in an eternal dick-waving contest, where rank with a particular weapon or vehicle is taken as the be-all end-all of discussions, much to the chagrin of forum goers with the bit of sanity left that allows them to see right through this bullshit.

Seriously, you do not want to play in such an environment. Because when this happens, your own teammates will turn against you without a second thought if they feel it will help them get on top. This includes trying to votekick the best player of the round in an attempt to get the MVP award for themselves.

Oh yes, and let's not forget to mention achievement griefers, whose goal is simply to sense whenever someone's ready to score an achievement and do whatever he can to prevent that teammate from doing just that.

Feel free to fucking hate me as well if you like. I'll be sure to have a thought for you next time I see a discussion degenerate into a flamebait.

Dark Phoenix5
Apr 28, 2009, 10:57 PM
i have 34k and ppl are talkin like i have no life-_-

Vanzazikon
Apr 28, 2009, 10:57 PM
They're just jealous.

rayner
Apr 29, 2009, 08:21 AM
Excellent example: L4D campaign achievements. Shoot a smoker before he deals any damage. Make it through a campaign without startling the witch. Shove a hunter off a pinned teammate. All achievements that teach the player to cooperate and be credit to team. Not only is the teammate helping his buddies, he's even getting a reward for it. Double win!

I agree with most of this, but you are also forgetting some Achievements in L4D that make playing with randoms impossible. Complete a campaign only using pistols... or Cr0wnd... whcih people think doing this during co-op is better? Or the infected Achievements... it makes playing them less about teamwork and more about getting the Achievements. Don't even try to join a game on Expert with randoms... you'll just be wasting your time.

My personal favorite game so far for Achievements is Dead Rising... there are so many over-the-top fun ways to kill zombies. And for co-op... what I've played of Resident Evil 5 vs... I'm loving it. It's a matter of time before you get all the wins needed, and the rest will come along with just playing the mode normally. Everyone wins...

Dark Phoenix5
Apr 29, 2009, 08:26 AM
lol but i gotta admit tht psu achievements r toooooo easy lol

rayner
Apr 29, 2009, 08:34 AM
lol but i gotta admit tht psu achievements r toooooo easy lol

Yeah they are "easy" but also requires time and $$$, I'd say about 20 hours to get 1000/1000 then you'd have to download AoI & pay $10 for 1 month to get the other 190pts. To boosters it's not worth the time and $$$ So PSU is somewhat safe ;-)