PDA

View Full Version : Concerning the Tech Animation Nerf...

Genoa
Apr 17, 2009, 01:47 AM
Yes, I'm bringing it up...
This is probably going to receive plenty of responses of things like "no it will never happen" or "omg I'm so glad for animation nerf".

But honestly...
I play PSU for PC, and I have to say, I spent a good amount of time getting my techs to Lv.41+ and so did many others.
They're absolutely stunning and are probably my most favorable part of PSU for me.
I have a few friends who also have 41+ techs, and well... I'd have to say honestly, PSU isn't nearly as fun for us anymore because we feel cheated in a way...
It's not really a matter of "showing off" but, well put plainly... IT WAS JUST REALLY COOL LOOKING <___<.
Watching multiple techs on the screen consuming the enemies in pretty flashing colors... It's not NEARLY as stunning when reduced to tier 3...
Tier 4 and 5 on most techs are COMPLETELY different than Tier 3 and below.
Like Zonde, my favorite tech. It looks horrible until Tier 4.
But no, I don't get to see any of my buddies awesome Zonde :/

I'm not asking for the tech animation nerf to be done away with... I'm asking for something that's actually not that hard at ALL...

I would like an option. An option that would allow me to have the tech animations nerfed to tier 3 max or to not have it nerfed.
PS2/360, not too sure if that would be a viable option or not, but I wouldn't really see why they would want it since the main issue that caused the nerf was Slowdown.

But I paid good money on my PC's specs and there's not enough Masterforces allowed in a party casting 41+ techs that can slow me down. I don't pay Sega any less? Why should I get any less of a quality from them?
The nerf was probably half of the reason I walked away from PSU during the Lightning Carnival. My friends and I found it kind of dull, since we had hurried to get our techs to 41+ as soon as we got the Master class update... and soon afterwards, we can no longer enjoy each other's techs.

We have the option (on PC) to change our graphic settings, screen resolutions, shadows, etc...
ALL sorts of options to help make the game run at an optimum performance to our hardware.
Why isn't tech animations one of them?
I dare anyone to say "it wouldn't be fair to PS2/Xbox360 users"
Well, you can't do any of the above in the first place since it's PC options anyways... nor take a screen shot.
If they can make it an option for ps2/360 and people want it, go for it...
But as a PC user who loves PSU probably 75% of it because of it's graphics... this was a real let down.

PSU has wonderful graphics and animations, most especially on the PC. Taking away the most graphical-intensive feature WITHOUT CHOICE is a real robbery in my opinion.

Anybody else think so? :/

beatrixkiddo
Apr 17, 2009, 01:58 AM
blahablahabaa

Anybody else think so? :/

Apparently SEGA doesn't, and theirs is the only opinion that matters, so...

Genoa
Apr 17, 2009, 02:03 AM
Apparently SEGA doesn't, and theirs is the only opinion that matters, so...

If we only made topics on things Sega's opinion does care about, we wouldn't have much to talk about <___<

Shou
Apr 17, 2009, 02:12 AM
Yeah I really wish there was an option or maybe if you are inside the tech, it would be transparent.

At least after the update they will have use. Right now Masterforce sucks AND can't have big cool looking techs :-(

Genoa
Apr 17, 2009, 02:17 AM
That transparent idea isn't bad at all.
I'd have to agree that despite how much I love the animations, I was slightly irritated at times when a tech would go over me and I can't see (most especially as a fighter xD)
But I only thought of the options being "cool looking techs, or no cool looking techs"
That transparent idea would be pretty easy I would think.
Especially seeing it would only be a hardware response, not so much a server response (seeing it would only have to be transparent to the character it's consuming)

Ruru
Apr 17, 2009, 03:13 AM
i agree even though im on ps2 i would rather have the slowdown than the nerf. its stupid that we didnt even get an option or a choice in the matter. not everyone wanted the nerf, and those that did i can understand why, but at least give the rest of us the option to see our friends techs or let our friends see ours.

one of my friends loves how 31-41 techs look but cant even see them himself because he has no techer leveled, so he would be with me when mine leveled to see how they look. not even possible now. and yes i'm sure people will say "well he can level it himself" but hey not everyone is a techer at heart.

Genoa
Apr 17, 2009, 03:21 AM
Actually if a tech levels in game, it will show your current animation to all players (until you switch weapons or go to another block).
Like yesterday, I got Gizonde 43, and apparently, everyone was like "whoa, I can see your Gizonde 41+"

A small way you can show someone a tech if you're not already 50... but not a very efficient way to show others xD.

Ruru
Apr 17, 2009, 03:27 AM
Actually if a tech levels in game, it will show your current animation to all players (until you switch weapons or go to another block).
Like yesterday, I got Gizonde 43, and apparently, everyone was like "whoa, I can see your Gizonde 41+"

A small way you can show someone a tech if you're not already 50... but not a very efficient way to show others xD.

I knew about this as well since my friend, "Biggabertha" on these boards, saw a few of the ones i got as they leveled, but the techs i have at 50 already he will never get to see.

Sano
Apr 17, 2009, 03:45 AM
Well, seeing as in the supplemental update PS2 users are getting the option to mess with frame rate, I think that should be added too. I agree with Special K: when you get Technics that high and they get all awesome flashy, who WOULDN'T want to show them off? It would be funny seeing someone say "OMFG! WTF WAS THAT?!" when they see a technic at a tier they've never seen it at before. They look great, and I think everyone else should be able to see them... well... I would like to see them atleast lol.

ashley50
Apr 17, 2009, 05:12 AM
shit happens.

darkante
Apr 17, 2009, 05:18 AM
Yeah, i would like an option. To nerf it! Mouhahaha. ;D
Itīs not that i dislike techniques..

My PC is junk according to this game, but i donīt wanna spend more money on it then i need too. (But i can play Oblivion so itīs not totally junk)
Itīs really only the techs that drag down most of the performance.
Specially those Rafoi spells if iīm in the middle of it...lag heaven ftl.

Genoa
Apr 17, 2009, 05:49 AM
Yeah, i would like an option. To nerf it! Mouhahaha. ;D
Itīs not that i dislike techniques..

My PC is junk according to this game, but i donīt wanna spend more money on it then i need too. (But i can play Oblivion so itīs not totally junk)
Itīs really only the techs that drag down most of the performance.
Specially those Rafoi spells if iīm in the middle of it...lag heaven ftl.

Well just because there's users who cannot handle the tech animations doesn't mean people who can should be penalized.
You're helping one side of the crowd while displeasing the other half. That doesn't fix the problem!? That's like asking one friend to borrow a dollar so you can pay back a friend you owed a dollar. Now you have ANOTHER problem.

I would pay to see what actually goes on over at the SoJ's office when they're coming up with these wonderful ideas.
I believe they hire 36 random people every few months and gather them in an office, all sitting around a roulette table. Each one writes down an idea then they spin the roulette. "What shall we do next?" Whoever it lands on, they use the idea regardless of how much it sucks.
If it lands on Green 0, they do nothing >___>

darkante
Apr 17, 2009, 05:51 AM
Well just because there's users who cannot handle the tech animations doesn't mean people who can should be penalized.
You're helping one side of the crowd while displeasing the other half. That doesn't fix the problem!? That's like asking one friend to borrow a dollar so you can pay back a friend you owed a dollar. Now you have ANOTHER problem.

I would pay to see what actually goes on over at the SoJ's office when they're coming up with these wonderful ideas.
I believe they hire 36 random people every few months and gather them in an office, all sitting around a roulette table. Each one writes down an idea then they spin the roulette. "What shall we do next?" Whoever it lands on, they use the idea regardless of how much it sucks.
If it lands on Green 0, they do nothing >___>

Iīm kidding, i wished for an option for a choise to choose either to nerf or not.
I thought that were obvious. Chill dude.

Genoa
Apr 17, 2009, 05:56 AM
I wasn't directing that at you, I'm just that irritated at the fact it's not optional.
I understand perfectly why they made the nerf and I have NO problem with the idea.
In fact, I can't believe they even gave a shit to help people with slowdown in the first place. (which was quite thoughtful)
But the way they went about it was lazy, not well-thought, and one-sided.

Svaltus
Apr 17, 2009, 06:30 AM
Well if everybody only look techs level 21+ thence lets get Wartechers and Guntechers for play in any party annd leave Masterforce and Fortetecher for play solo!

I think so!

Genoa
Apr 17, 2009, 06:32 AM
no
D:

vertigo
Apr 17, 2009, 05:12 PM
Since it is concerning graphics it should be an option. I mean we can choose whether or not we have 'detailed shadows' or that circle. So, why not tech animation?
Sucks after all that hard work I only really get to see my techs new awesomeness a handful of times. Really disappointing.
When they do that big system update they should include that as an option in addition.
Don't take our tech awesomeness away!

Criss
Apr 17, 2009, 05:25 PM
Considering the poor optimization, the nerf was totally justified for the consoles, and partly on PC for those who have low-end computers. But there really should have been an option in the PC configuration to enable lv 50 tech effects for those who have good computers.

Oh well, maybe we'll see those animations back in PSU Blue Burst? :wacko:

OldCoot
Apr 17, 2009, 05:31 PM
I hope there is an option to turn off all the extras sometime soon. My biggest problem with graphics and high level techs is that for the 360 they lag. My own level 47 diga will slow down my frame rate where I try to keep the distance as short as possible.Glad they put in the current nerf but today while being on the other side of some targets, I got to be slowed down my Ra-megid.

From this I tend to think that Sega is trying to keep the changes between the consoles as similar as possible to reduce extra coding that will be invovled and so even if something works well with some PCs being they can handle the graphics, the bulk if the current customers are with the 360 who will have problems.

From a fighter viewpoint, I would want everything back to level 10. Try using just attack with a bunch of Ra-foie being used not to mention being blinded.

PALRAPPYS
Apr 17, 2009, 10:06 PM
Lv21 spells give slowdown just like lv41 spells do. I have no idea why SEGA thought that making spells look more fail worthy is a good idea.

unicorn
Apr 18, 2009, 02:29 AM
It was a dumb move. I feel kinda cheated when I play MF because I have GT/AT/WT techs basically.

And actually, not all the techs cause lag/slowdown. Its primarily Rafoie, Razonde, Gizonde, Damfoie, Dambarta, and Radiga.

I never saw anyone complain about 41+ Megid, Zonde, Barta, Rabarta, etc. But whatever, ST decided this. Perhaps in the future it'll be optional.

And it should be optional to ALL players, not just PC ones.

stukasa
Apr 18, 2009, 03:51 AM
I always thought it should be an option too. But if ST's going to listen to anyone it would be the JP players, not us, and I guess they haven't caused a big enough fuss to change their minds. ^^;

The first time that happened I was playing with Logan (EspioKaos) and he suddenly started throwing giant Digas out of nowhere. It scared me because he was off-screen and I just saw these huge meteors flying onto my screen. XD

XFoxPrower
Apr 18, 2009, 07:56 AM
Maybe there's still a chance. Didn't the supplemental update give PS2 users the option to change some settings at the counter on 4F? It was for frameskip, etc if I remember. But still, PC users should always have had the option to not be nerfed. For screenshot sake atleast.

RemiusTA
Apr 18, 2009, 08:57 AM
i just posted this in another topic..

...Sega hates the fuck out of forces. Of course people cant see what you worked hard for.

Tekershee
Apr 18, 2009, 12:07 PM
More rage. This is why I created those videos, so we can remember when times were better.

Kimil Adrayne
Apr 18, 2009, 12:34 PM
PSU runs great now on my Laptop (my only computer). I'm not missing the slow downs one bit, I'm perfectly content with the lack of +31 Techs. I never payed attention to them anyways, other than when their presence was made annoyingly clear with an accompanied slowdown. I'm glad for you that you gained something from your hard work, ie.: leveling them, but I don't want to be smothered by the animations. Higher damage is all I need to see. I wouldn't wan to go back to the way things were...

Now, an option to let people see the +31 techs if they want to? I'd be fine with that. I'm sure sega realizes this would be the more viable option over the current set up, maybe it'd be harder to do than you'd expect?

autumn
Apr 18, 2009, 01:57 PM
I love big flashy techs. My laptop is a piece of crap and I'd turn the options for higher tier techs on in an instant. I quit teching for awhile after the nerf T_T Between it and my disappointment in MF it took some time before I wanted to go back to it.

cwTopCat
Apr 18, 2009, 03:18 PM
As long as I can see my lvl 41+techs graphics im happy. Sure it would be nice if there was an option that allowed others to see them too, so you could show them off. But, it doesn't bother me much that they can't. I mainly lvled up my techs so they can be strong and so that I can see the nice graphics.

Genoa
Apr 18, 2009, 10:42 PM
Now, an option to let people see the +31 techs if they want to? I'd be fine with that. I'm sure sega realizes this would be the more viable option over the current set up, maybe it'd be harder to do than you'd expect?

No, it wouldn't. This nerf was only done on server-side. There was no update to our game data for this. This is why when it levels you can see it at it's current level.
An option to remove the nerf is simply going back to how things were before. And since the nerf WASN'T a type of game data download, the only game data change that would be needed is an option attached to our other options which would allow the game to be played just like it was before.
Easy enough?
Yes
For Sega?
I would still say yes...
Willingness?
Most likely not... but they've been surprising lately with the fact they're going to re-balance... practically... the whole game basically D:
So who knows.

Magus_84
Apr 18, 2009, 10:46 PM
I wonder how long it would've taken people to notice this if Sega hadn't announced it, and just went ahead and did it. >_>

Bitzen
Apr 18, 2009, 11:10 PM
I think I agree with the "SEGA hates forces" bit.

Genoa
Apr 19, 2009, 01:06 AM
I wonder how long it would've taken people to notice this if Sega hadn't announced it, and just went ahead and did it. >_>

I think it would have taken a bit because everyone would think "man that MF's techs suck, I'm so cool" on the other side "well, that MF has pathetic techs... Mine are the shiz..."
D:

Magus_84
Apr 19, 2009, 04:35 AM
I think it would have taken a bit because everyone would think "man that MF's techs suck, I'm so cool" on the other side "well, that MF has pathetic techs... Mine are the shiz..."
D:

Heh, yeah. That's the image I had in my head when I did that last post.

Sega does seem to be paranoid of "overpowering" techs, techers, casters and Forces, though. It's a fairly persistent theme of theirs.