PDA

View Full Version : Neil Gaiman pens the final Detective Comics

Shadowpawn
Apr 21, 2009, 10:03 PM
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/04/a-love-letter-t.html

Detective Comics was the original origin of Batman, the final issue was No. 853. It was in print for 70 years and it's REALLY hard to believe that DC is ending one of the most iconic comic series known. Of course this doesn't mean Batman (the entity, not Bruce Wayne) will just up and vanish, his saga will most likely continue in a spin off somewhere. However, the Batman will all knew and loved is biding us farewell in this final chapter.

EDIT: Silly me, the Batman series is just getting a reboot. Plus the Detective Comics will continue as usual.

EDIT: Oh shit me, they really ARE ending the Batman saga. ._.

So, how do ya'll feel about this? Comments?

Shattered_weasel
Apr 22, 2009, 05:52 AM
Not ending per se. More of a Hiatus thanks to "Battle for the Cowl".

Outrider
Apr 22, 2009, 10:01 AM
It's like in 91-92 when Superman died and then everyone and their mother was claiming they were Superman.

And then he came back with hip 90s hair!

(Comics tend to do this a lot.)

Moo2u
Apr 22, 2009, 08:01 PM
Grant Morison's Batman RIP and Final Crisis was more confusing then epic. The "death" of Bruce Wayne should be something crazy big, and while it felt like everything was really cool in Morison's stories...that didn't mean I understood what was going on at all.

That being said, I've read the first part of Neil Gaiman's "What Even Happened to the Caped Crusader" story, and yeah, it's even more out there, yes still awesome in some ways, but I'm hoping part 2 will clear some things up....but probably not...

...comics are effed up!

Split
Apr 22, 2009, 08:15 PM
It's like in 91-92 when Superman died and then everyone and their mother was claiming they were Superman.

And then he came back with hip 90s hair!

(Comics tend to do this a lot.)Death is but a small price to pay for a change in hairstyle

Shattered_weasel
Apr 22, 2009, 09:06 PM
Grant Morison's Batman RIP and Final Crisis was more confusing then epic. The "death" of Bruce Wayne should be something crazy big, and while it felt like everything was really cool in Morison's stories...that didn't mean I understood what was going on at all.

We all know he will be back in some form or another. More than likely as a Black Lantern.

Moo2u
Apr 22, 2009, 10:56 PM
Oh yeah, there was never end doubt in my mind Batman's gonna be back....that still doesn't mean the events in these stories were coherent.

Outrider
Apr 23, 2009, 12:11 PM
But he's not even dead. In Final Crisis, you see that the Omega Beam sent him back to hang out with cavemen.

Unless some other book has gone further into this since, his Twitter status reads "Chillin' w/ dinosaurs, waitin' for Booster Gold to come save me."

Moo2u
Apr 23, 2009, 01:08 PM
But he's not even dead. In Final Crisis, you see that the Omega Beam sent him back to hang out with cavemen.

And while I don't understand the logistics of that at all...I'll somehow still accept it.

Outrider
Apr 23, 2009, 01:44 PM
And while I don't understand the logistics of that at all...I'll somehow still accept it.

Yeah, it managed to both send him back to the past as well as deposit a skeleton in his costume in the modern day.

I guess the Omega Beam basically does whatever the writer wants it to do.

Anduril
Apr 27, 2009, 01:54 AM
Well that's why they named it the Omega Sanction, to differentiate it from the normal "it-can-do-anything-anyway" Omega Effect. Honestly I"m having fun with this whole dead/time displaced Bruce Wayne saga going on since it is funny seeing how DC is going for the nerdperv demographic with Detective Comics by having it focus on Batwoman (at least with the solicits up to now, also I'm not trying to badmouth Batwoman or delegitimatize the character, but come on, they could have just made Robin the title charcter there after canceling that series), and Batman&Robin looks like it will be a good limited. Plus I wonder if they will have Batman as a Black Lantern (which wouldn't make any sense) considering the cover for GL#43 from the July solicit.

Moo2u
Apr 27, 2009, 12:35 PM
If he's a Black Lantern (which would be cool)...how would that make sense? Since he's not really dead...just back in time...or another dimension...or would his body be a Black Lantern, but his soul...or mind or whatever is....or.....er......ah....

....brain hurts....

Shattered_weasel
Apr 27, 2009, 04:18 PM
Welcome to every time there is a major cross over.

Outrider
Apr 27, 2009, 05:11 PM
I mean, if he's in the stone age, I guess in theory he's a corpse by the time of the Black Lanterns.

Welcome to every time there is a major cross over.

It's also not a modern major crossover unless they bring back a character that was better off dead.

Thankfully, Barry Allen is back. With him and Hal Jordan around, DC can now fulfill their (unspoken) promise of just reprinting Silver Age stories with new art.

Moo2u
May 5, 2009, 08:05 PM
Ok, just read Gaiman's issue....it's pretty damn sweet.

It steps out of continuity, making it a self contained trippy inside your own head story that can be enjoyed by Batfans at any time. Gets two thumbs up by me, homes.